Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

Guaranteed this person doesn't believe in global warming or thinks it's a good thing because "they don't like the cold"

Kinda seems like they like the cold too much :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Browsing old Brit comic books and came across this 1973 ad:

Turns out Robertson's was really attached to the Golliwog imagery, here's just one example
https://www.historyworld.co.uk/advert.php?id=1392&offset=75&sort=0&l1=Food&l2=

See if you can guess when they finally stopped with it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson%27s#Golly_branding

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

By popular demand posted:

See if you can guess when they finally stopped with it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson%27s#Golly_branding

I was close! My guess was 3 years too late.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I especially love how the brand director made emphasized that they didn't actually learn and evolve about the issue, just following the money.

quote:

We are retiring Golly because we found families with kids no longer necessarily knew about him. We are not bowing to political correctness, but like with any great brand we have to move with the times.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Don't wanna lose those sweet racist bucks, gotta make sure the whole world knows you're not bowling to political correctness or your customers might switch to Hitlerdidnothingwrong Special Preserves

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Whybird posted:

Don't wanna lose those sweet racist bucks, gotta make sure the whole world knows you're not bowling to political correctness or your customers might switch to Hitlerdidnothingwrong Special Preserves

I actually think this is kind of ... unfair isn't the word because it's a dumb as gently caress thing to be doing, but, like, if they 'genuinely' thought it was just a cute design, and that at no point had they seen it as being a caricature of a black person, then in their minds, admitting that they were doing it for PC reasons would also mean admitting that they were racist. I mean, it just IS racist, intention doesn't matter, but I can see why they'd stick to this principle really hard (in a super misguided way) if they weren't racist too.

The reason I say this isn't some 'both sides' bullshit, I do think the character is racist and should be retired. But I do think we need to have a bit of compassion about it. Like, my mum grew up with Gollywog dolls. She's always keen to point out that she played with them with her black friends (I mean, she says 'coloured'... but yeah). And, y'know, obviously hearing that makes me cringe. But she was a teacher before she retired, and she'd often do private tutoring for super wealthy parents. She'd always make a point of exclusively using foreign names and characters in her lessons to try and undermine the typically conservative white parents worldview and teach inclusivity. Yeah, sure she was getting paid, it's not super punk of her but it's a genuine force for good, to call her historic views racist just seems so infantile.

But what's more, you know, if I said to her, 'Mum, your happy childhood memories are racist and bad', do you think she's going to go "Ah, thanks for updating my reference points I'll be sure to adapt", or do you think she's going to go "Ok, yes dear" and then later post online "Kids these days with their 'wokeness' I do'nt know" and then get sucked into an algorithm that has her joining a 'bring bag Gollywogs' group on facebook and being exposed to worse and worse?

Yes, I've kind of gone off at Wendys here, but it's just something I see ALL THE TIME among my leftist friends where they'll just explode at someone for not being able to make 100% of the massive personal growth needed to come round to a point of view 'immediately', which inevitably entrenches them further into their right wing beliefs. And I feel a little sickened by it, because, obviously. Obviously that's the case, I shouldn't need to say it. Which implies like they LIKE this. They 'want' to have this enemy to be enraged by, they're not keen on actually bringing someone over to a healthier state of mind, no, they just want to 'beat' someone. Which is ... you know, loving horrible. So I think, even in a situation like this where a stupid dumb company has done something stupid and dumb and racist....

...Hmm. I'm actually hearing myself here, and nah, gently caress em.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Europeans don’t consider themselves racist but that’s only because when you point out the incredibly racist things they do and believe they’re like “oh no that’s not racist we’ve been doing that forever it’s just part of being english/dutch/french/etc”

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Scratch Monkey posted:

Europeans don’t consider themselves racist, just don't ever bring up the Roma people and immigrants.

E: and also I'll bring out again that a friend toured France in the 90's and wouldn't you know it, turns out absolutely nobody in any family ever collaborated with the Nazis! no one at all.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 2, 2024

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Europeans don’t consider themselves racist

Referring to an entire continent of people like we're all homogenous is incredibly asinine. Racism is a problem everywhere, generally racists don't consider themselves racist, but that's also a universal problem ("I'm not racist but..."). Those of us 'Europeans' who are aware of the very obvious problems with racism as it exists in its myriad forms in the hugely differing countries of Europe would never try to deny that it exists here, because we're not loving stupid.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The real curse is that the generator is not properly grounded :colbert:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Looks like it's on the ground to me :v:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Earth's climate never stood a chance

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Butterfly Valley posted:

Referring to an entire continent of people like we're all homogenous is incredibly asinine. Racism is a problem everywhere, generally racists don't consider themselves racist, but that's also a universal problem ("I'm not racist but..."). Those of us 'Europeans' who are aware of the very obvious problems with racism as it exists in its myriad forms in the hugely differing countries of Europe would never try to deny that it exists here, because we're not loving stupid.

Yeah those dirty southerners barely count as European anyway

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

English food sucks

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Oi! You’ll get me sausage and butter butties with pea wets and jellied eel when you pry it from me cold dead ‘ands!

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 2, 2024

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Scratch Monkey posted:

Oi! You’ll get me sausage and butter butties with pea wets and jellied eel when you pry it from me cold dead ‘ands!

The Cursed Images Thread: Goons not understanding art

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Waltzing Along posted:

It's a commentary on mirrors

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Slugworth posted:

It's a commentary on mirrors

Definitely something to reflect on :hmmyes:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

challenge accepted

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Scratch Monkey posted:

It's an artistic interpretation of the flag of the Isle of Man

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

By popular demand posted:

E: and also I'll bring out again that a friend toured France in the 90's and wouldn't you know it, turns out absolutely nobody in any family ever collaborated with the Nazis! no one at all.

It's famously been noted and studied in France and in Germany. From memory, something like 30% of French families think their ancestors were in the resistance, while in Germany the figure is 10%. There's a school of thought that this was necessary for the countries to move on after WW2, otherwise society would just break down in a hail of accusations and guilt.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Waltzing Along posted:

I dunno, :nws: "My Lonesome Cowboy" seems pretty straightforward. The sculpture is 9 feet tall and sold for $15.1 million.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 2, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

It's an artistic interpretation of the flag of the Isle of Man

Or that photoshop of two pairs of a woman's legs joined together (without the torso) on a bed

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I can say with confidence the entire continent of Asia is racist as holy gently caress.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Das Boo posted:

I can say with confidence the entire continent of Asia is racist as holy gently caress.

I mean pretty much everywhere in the world is, but everyone has their own flavours of it depending on their history with colonialism/tribalism/religion/whatever. I've just seen the "well Europeans don't even think they're racist!" thing a few times, inevitably posted by Americans, and it feels like a brainless attempt at deflection/points scoring.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Waffle! posted:

I dunno, :nws: "My Lonesome Cowboy" seems pretty straightforward. The sculpture is 9 feet tall and sold for $15.1 million.

I went to an exhibition at the Portland museum of art some 20 years ago and saw this live and in person. Pictures do not do it justice. IIRC there was a companion piece that involved a sailor moon type anime girl squirting breast milk and using the streams as… a jump rope? Jesus, I hope that’s true and not something I conjured up…

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

fischtick posted:

I went to an exhibition at the Portland museum of art some 20 years ago and saw this live and in person. Pictures do not do it justice. IIRC there was a companion piece that involved a sailor moon type anime girl squirting breast milk and using the streams as… a jump rope? Jesus, I hope that’s true and not something I conjured up…

that’s hiropon

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

WWII hosed people up, huh.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

quote:

Price realised
USD 427,500

Goddamn, I picked the wrong career :negative:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

nah, art’s been like that ever since rich people started paying for it

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Captain Hygiene posted:

Goddamn, I picked the wrong career :negative:

I mean, do you have the connections? No one's gonna care about a giant titty statue made by some random person in their garage

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
When people make sweeping generalizations like "people in country X are racist", they never seem to extend it far enough. Like yeah, sure, X folks are racist as gently caress, but have you considered that they also really hate people from X? It's like they're all just colossal assholes that are only out for themselves, and barely that. loving asshikes I swear

E: that's a typo but it stays.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 2, 2024

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
america first? liechtenstein first. austria second.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Who wants their mirrussy polished?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kit Walker posted:

I mean, do you have the connections? No one's gonna care about a giant titty statue made by some random person in their garage
Let people dream.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

TrashMammal posted:

nah, art’s been like that ever since rich people started paying for it

The Bronze Age? The Neolithic?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

The real curse is that I had one of these air conditioners in my last apartment, and it would raise my electric bill by $100/month during the summer :v:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Well that's just unprofessional...

Ah that's better.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Who wants their mirrussy polished?

Oh, me! !ɘm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/YxUQfAe.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/OD8XWf3.mp4