Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

For someone who's been plotting like he's speeding to the end, Horikoshi sure likes to drag this poo poo out

When is the manga ending, anyway? I could have sworn it was supposed to be over about two years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Soon, presumably

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

Soon, presumably

--Posts from fifty chapters ago

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Reader/clickbait articles grossly misinterpretted what "the final act begins" meant

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jump's started cycling it out of promo images and stuff like the banner on their website so presumably its actually ending soon-soon not 'two years' soon

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Maybe they'll cancel it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It'll inexplicably continue after this arc with the next school year

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

RatHat posted:

It'll inexplicably continue after this arc with the next school year

Tries to eat Ruri Dragon's lunch by becoming a slice-of-life superpower manga.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Do you think any of these kids will be depressed that the peak of their hero careers was in high school?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its like a high school sports anime where 90% of the cast doesnt go pro

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

AFO was the source of all evil in the world, and all the heroes are going to be out of a job.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Do you think any of these kids will be depressed that the peak of their hero careers was in high school?

Imagine saving the world only to grow old and become a side character in Boruto.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

"There I was, at our finest hour, being a human power generator for a floating fortress that failed at its primary mission and then crashed."

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
idk if superhero world war three broke out in my freshman year of high school I think I'd be pretty happy that the years after that were chill

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

How many of class A still hasn't done a thing this final arc? Tape and Sugar guy?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

its like a high school sports anime where 90% of the cast doesnt go pro

Haikyuu was good imo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

bobjr posted:

How many of class A still hasn't done a thing this final arc? Tape and Sugar guy?

Momo has been in a hole producing random chaff for the entirety of this arc

e: from a synopsis she apparently made weapons for Mei to fight the Toga clones, but gently caress if I remember any of that and it's a pretty lame capstone for her character (which of course makes it perfect for Momo)

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 3, 2024

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The whole thing started with the Hero School/Class A premise, and very quickly became "those three cool kids and their role models, oh and some useless kids stick around too I guess". It's both hilarious and tragic how underused everyone else has become over time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

itd be fine if everyone was just background characters if they hadnt spent so much time setting them up at the start

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Not to defend the dude's writing, but "introduce a broad cast of interesting but ultimately underutilized characters" seems to be a successful blueprint in the genre.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sure but most of those characters served a purpose at some point in the narrative. bleach has an army of useless guys but most of them were just introduced as midbosses in the rukia rescue arc and then the series pivoted to shinigami society so they all just kind of hung around. yamcha and tien were main characters in the original dragon ball even if they barely did anything in z. naruto's ninja classmates were actually pretty well used in the pre-timeskip stuff as rivals and benchmarks for him, the people that were ostracizing him that he won around. you can understand why these characters exist. you could remove them from later material, but you couldnt excise them completely.

the thing thats striking about mha's writing is that none of these characters ever do anything, its just all setup for the stuff they might do and then dont.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MHA just never had its Chuunin exam arc. :rip:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

MHA just never had its Chuunin exam arc. :rip:

No, it's worse, it did have the Chuunin Exam and it still didn't utilize those characters! That was the Sports Festival!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Endorph posted:

the thing thats striking about mha's writing is that none of these characters ever do anything, its just all setup for the stuff they might do and then dont.

The whole story has felt like an outline we're going through, yeah. He apparently had all these plans for an extremely epic (length-wise) manga but had the simultaneous impulse to 1. move at a brisk pace instead of spending years on a single arc 2. realized he didn't want to spend 3 decades drawing this so tried to get to the ending while not sacrificing any of the major plot beats he thought were important.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the issue is that i would rather read the version of this manga thats just school bullshit with occasional real villains than the version he apparently thinks is important

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arist posted:

No, it's worse, it did have the Chuunin Exam and it still didn't utilize those characters! That was the Sports Festival!

Listen, I can only remember like 4 characters getting stuff in the tournament part of the festival and those were the members of the cast that mostly continued to get the ocassional moment. Nothing for the majority of the class.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Arist posted:

e: from a synopsis she apparently made weapons for Mei to fight the Toga clones, but gently caress if I remember any of that and it's a pretty lame capstone for her character (which of course makes it perfect for Momo)

I'm honestly hilarious. I thought for sure they'd give her some kind of big moment in the final arc to finally prove her worth as a leader, and maybe they'll squeeze it in at the last second, but it's looking increasingly likely that Momo's big accomplishment of the manga is going to be her technically being responsible for taking down Gigantomachia the first time. That accomplishment is pretty lessened by the fact that Gigantomachia still managed to wreak havoc all across Japan and ensure that the rest of the villains would escape and the fact that he was taken down way easier the second time around without Momo's help.

The only conclusion I can come to from all this is that all of the characters were just wrong when they said Momo had to potential to be a great leader someday.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Endorph posted:

the issue is that i would rather read the version of this manga thats just school bullshit with occasional real villains than the version he apparently thinks is important

To that point, I would've really enjoyed reading a story about the cursed Todoroki family. I really enjoyed that whole run, with the singular exception of Dabi. Even Touya was better than Dabi.

fake edit: Actually, Dabi washing out his hair dye and revealing he was Touya all along owned. So there's that, at least

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Listen, I can only remember like 4 characters getting stuff in the tournament part of the festival and those were the members of the cast that mostly continued to get the ocassional moment. Nothing for the majority of the class.

I meant it didn't do anything in that arc either with them, to be clear

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

SKULL.GIF posted:

To that point, I would've really enjoyed reading a story about the cursed Todoroki family. I really enjoyed that whole run, with the singular exception of Dabi. Even Touya was better than Dabi.

fake edit: Actually, Dabi washing out his hair dye and revealing he was Touya all along owned. So there's that, at least

I dunno, I kind of like Dabi being a horrible piece of poo poo with no redeeming qualities? Like, he doesn't deserve what Endeavor did to him, but man is this kid a shithead.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rhonne posted:

I dunno, I kind of like Dabi being a horrible piece of poo poo with no redeeming qualities? Like, he doesn't deserve what Endeavor did to him, but man is this kid a shithead.

No, I agree with that, I just didn't really find the execution/delivery on Dabi to be compelling. Everything else about the Todoroki curse? Fantastic.

The chapter where we get to watch Enji becoming increasingly deranged while Rei struggles to produce a "worthy" heir for him and Touya becomes increasingly desperate, and Shoto is finally born? And everyone reacts to that as the finale? Fantastic.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You gotta love both AfO and Shiggy doing the DBZ style "oh you thought you had me? Watch me unleash EVEN MORE POWER that I hid before for some reason!"

Like at this point might as well have Deku killed and then wished (Eri'd) back but also while he was dead he trained for twenty years or some poo poo. Just go whole hog.

Also Sugarman was always on shakey ground of "this is Class A material?" but now you gotta question why the gently caress he was never just sent home like goddamn lol

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Anime needs to stop setting up schools and implying multiple years will be spent there just to have the series end in the first year.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

itd be fine if everyone was just background characters if they hadnt spent so much time setting them up at the start

People make fun of Sugarman for being a useless background character, but it's actually totally okay that he's a useless background character because the story didn't really spend a whole lot of time pretending he wasn't like it has done with so many other characters who are narratively nearly as useless but have a lot more screen time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arist posted:

No, she made weapons for herself, too. Just going full out with some miniguns to take down villains.

So, she got to be really effective offscreen. Just like Sukuna!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

People make fun of Sugarman for being a useless background character, but it's actually totally okay that he's a useless background character because the story didn't really spend a whole lot of time pretending he wasn't like it has done with so many other characters who are narratively nearly as useless but have a lot more screen time.
yea like an example id pull of a well done side student in this is invisible girl because she was a background sight gag who got exactly One cool moment to define her and then thats it. it never really pretended she was gonna impact the plot longterm she just got a couple chapters of focus. thats a good balance imo

meanwhile theres characters like momo who got 25x the setup and like 0.25x the payoff

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kild posted:

Anime needs to stop setting up schools and implying multiple years will be spent there just to have the series end in the first year.

Honestly that's the part of the story I feel most let down by, as an anime only watcher. I make no guarantee I'll love all the manga stuff I don't know about, but knowing we won't actually see Deku and friends go through all those years at UA is disappointing.

As I noted when I was finishing S6 of the anime, I thought MHA did a great job of balancing fun times at super-school with a more conventional story about stopping bad guys. It's a formula that clearly works in both MHA and elsewhere. But it looks like all the fun times are over and it's just fight fight fight from here on out. S6 was great but several seasons like S6 would wear thin.

But I guess I'll find out in a month. I am excited.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't think there is a character out there that got as many chances to shine as Momo did and then just...didn't.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Electric Phantasm posted:

I don't think there is a character out there that got as many chances to shine as Momo did and then just...didn't.
She's a great example of "Smart, talented, has leadership potential but juuuuuust falls short".

Which would be less insulting if she wasn't the dedicated cheesecake character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
All for One has become like that one child in "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas", but the story is set up so that he deserves it, which is to say: