Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Z the IVth posted:

I'm surprised Malaysia of all places would throw in so strongly with China though given the fairly deep Chinese/Malay racial divide.

Malaysia politics swing between slightly more anti China/nationalist and just want to do business. The current PM is more of the doing business type.

Malaysians also felt strongly about supporting the Palestine Muslims, the PM caught some flack for not criticising Biden strongly enough about backing Israel in the P/I war during the Apec summit. So you know the majority Malays ethnic group even though they "don't like the Chinese", they hate America more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
thanks for the info. still, i'm surprised it isn't more even, given the US's history in the region, attitude towards communism, and general reputation

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

pretty sure we lost already, we’re just sputtering around on the gurney

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

rudecyrus posted:

why is vietnam pro-us

quote:

Respondents came from 5 affiliation categories: (a)
academia, think-tankers or researchers; (b) private
sector representatives; (c) civil society, NGO or media
representatives; (d) government officials; and (e)
regional or international organisations personnel.

It's barely a few pages in, but given the full press court in recent years to declare Vietnam is actually longing for burger-senpai, this is probably where the fuckery is coming from if outright lying is assumed to be a bridge too far.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

dead gay comedy forums posted:

the historiographic process lost itself over on nationalism and they got high on their own supply over the years, leading to attribute those victories as consequence of national character.

many such cases

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Remember this is happening at the exact same time those same German historians are creating a mythologized hoplite that uses complex schemes of manoeuvre and drill because the Prussians are projecting themselves backwards through time.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

dead gay comedy forums posted:

my impression is that it was because of Clausewitz - a German - that war started to be considered in relation to political economy, which did made Prussia play ball differently and win the relevant wars, but the historiographic process lost itself over on nationalism and they got high on their own supply over the years, leading to attribute those victories as consequence of national character.

IIRC, Phillip Sheridan went as an observer to Europe during the Franco-Prussian war and was not impressed in terms of military innovation or skill, but credited the victory to the Prussian ability on logistics, mobilization and general discipline, which were much better than the French, whom were very attached to the principles of élan and national character and Napoleon etc etc etc.

Maybe it is something of the German soldiers training the American independence forces making into a cultural memory, an attachment of heroic construction (since the rebellion is the legendary birth of the country its soldiers must be legendary too, the greatest to be). German drill sergeants trained them, the USA is the greatest country ever, so German military must be great otherwise...

idk, the union during the civil war did logistical feats that would have been beyond any european power due to the scale of the conflict.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SteakFrankhouse/status/1775231829793976621?t=nqXhr1BdKRoMweb_1wFnVg&s=19

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

No way. That's impossible. If you failed that badly, I think you're not legally allowed to live on your own? Like straight up being so profound stupid that it is the state responsibility to take care of them for life kind of stupid

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

this is called beating the game

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024
He clearly failed it intentionally a la Ted Nugent pants making GBS threads style. Rittenhouse is a dumb choad but he can speak (mostly) in complete sentences, which would already put him in the top third of people taking the ASVAB. So the more accurate takeaway is that he’s a pussy, but not necessarily a learning disabled one

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Ignore_Me posted:

He clearly failed it intentionally a la Ted Nugent pants making GBS threads style. Rittenhouse is a dumb choad but he can speak (mostly) in complete sentences, which would already put him in the top third of people taking the ASVAB. So the more accurate takeaway is that he’s a pussy, but not necessarily a learning disabled one

What lol do you think Kyle Rittenhouse intentionally failed a test that had no strings attached because he's actually a very smart boy?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
If you put in the effort to get every question wrong the recruiter that came to your school would call you up to tell you you were a smartass and they couldn't make you sign up (mid-2000's rural America was wild)

vvv Or your highschool shuffles you all into the gym and makes you take it because MURRICA

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 00:46 on Apr 3, 2024

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

500excf type r posted:

What lol do you think Kyle Rittenhouse intentionally failed a test that had no strings attached because he's actually a very smart boy?

no I think some people are pressured by their parents to enlist or are doing so out of some form of punishment or other, and they don’t otherwise actually want to enlist of their own volition so they sabotage a test that is incredibly easy to sabotage

wild take I know

e: or in a lot of cases, it’s people who want to be able to say “I wanted to sign up to kill because I’m a tough guy, but the guvment wouldn’t let me”

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Ignore_Me posted:

no I think some people are pressured by their parents to enlist or are doing so out of some form of punishment or other, and they don’t otherwise actually want to enlist of their own volition so they sabotage a test that is incredibly easy to sabotage

wild take I know

e: or in a lot of cases, it’s people who want to be able to say “I wanted to sign up to kill because I’m a tough guy, but the guvment wouldn’t let me”

You're giving a retarded Midwestern dirt bag way too much credit

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024
I’m definitely not Kyle rittenhouse and you can’t prove it

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

500excf type r posted:

you don't have to be smart to be a coward

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i don't see why people are acting like it's news that kyle rittenhouse is really dumb

it was a key component of his defence that he was so stupid that all of the things he did probably seemed like good ideas to him at the time

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

you don't have to be smart to be a coward

tell me about it

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
The British built a drone that can't fly in the rain.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1883870/MoD-spy-drones-can-t-fly-in-poor-weather

As a thread crossover, it is based on an Israeli drone that is currently being used to carry out attacks.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Danann posted:

It's barely a few pages in, but given the full press court in recent years to declare Vietnam is actually longing for burger-senpai, this is probably where the fuckery is coming from if outright lying is assumed to be a bridge too far.

Lol seeing those Vietnam numbers made me think they must have just done liberals. Though lol at the Philippines craving the US Boot

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Lol seeing those Vietnam numbers made me think they must have just done liberals. Though lol at the Philippines craving the US Boot

probably is a fair bet in vietnam's case

though it seems to be an accurate census of the philippines elite at any ate

edit: yeah i think they did find all the vietnamese liberals in there

edit 2: they really did put the united states five times on there

Danann has issued a correction as of 03:24 on Apr 3, 2024

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/KyleTrainEmoji/status/1775315091753468025

swamp maoists got lost and became mountain maoists

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Ignore_Me posted:

wild take I know

It is not credible for someone to fail the ASVAB unless they are profoundly stupid, or have some kind of serious mental disability. If any halfway normal person scores "far below" the minimum eligibility requirement, it was almost certainly intentional

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

i think you could define both the mid/late ww2-era soviet and US ways of war as, basically, the ends (winning) justifies the means (deep battle, industrial warfare, Bombercrimes, etc.) The aesthetics of the way of war are perhaps not irrelevant insofar as they are needed to give individual people in the military and society something to attach to, but they're ultimately in the back seat compared to the necessities of showing up with more poo poo and crushing the enemy with the weight of men, material, and firepower. The Soviet artillery operations tables are kind of the apex of this sort of thinking: we will win not through elan, not through derring-do or national superiority, but because we have calculated in advance the number of shells that the factory must supply in order to kill everything in the map grid through which we must advance to take our next objective, the factory has produced the necessary shells, and we will now proceed to do the needful with them. There's no mythos to it at all.

The german way of war (and, frankly, a lot of continental european ways of war predating that by years and even centuries) was based on a belief in aesthetic superiority equating with military superiority, which ultimately was couched in the ideology of national and racial superiority. It looks good, it glorifies Us and Our poo poo, therefore it is good and will win. Winning strategy/tactics/weapons and aesthetic superiority aren't just linked together in this view, they're synonymous. The production of material and the adoption of mechanized tactics are done as a glorification of the aesthetic. Thus, bespoke handcrafted tanks topped by Aryan supermen charging through the ranks of the inferior enemy (glorifying) followed by infantry divisions whose prime motive vehicle is a horse (trucks aren't glorifying). The mythos isn't about winning, the mythos is winning. If the aesthetic cannot prevail, it must be because it was betrayed or undermined somehow - it cannot fail on its own merits since it embodies victory under this way of war and the two concepts (victory and aesthetic superiority) can't be disentangled.

The former way of thinking certainly has its gremlins (like wildly overoptimistic assessments of strategic bombing accuracy), but the latter is a house made out of gremlins entirely. You can see which of those ways of war was adopted by the US and NATO post-war and the ultimate results of that.

e: actually if i was going to summarize the current US way of war, its a cargo cult worshipping the old materialist US way of war as a religious aesthetic without understanding how or why it worked

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Danann posted:

missed opportunity for WESTERN UNION imo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Morbus posted:

It is not credible for someone to fail the ASVAB unless they are profoundly stupid, or have some kind of serious mental disability. If any halfway normal person scores "far below" the minimum eligibility requirement, it was almost certainly intentional

Wouldn't the existence of asvab waivers imply that those people would have failed it otherwise?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FirstnameLastname posted:

missed opportunity for WESTERN UNION imo

even bigger missed opportunity not doing an adaptation of shattered union

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Danann posted:

Where can I buy a passport for Mr. Lee's Greater Hong Kong?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I always wondered how my uncle managed to get into the army and when I heard about MacNamara's program to lower recruitment standards it made a lot more sense.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
all good answers.

zetamind2000 posted:

does palestine count as one country or two

euphronius posted:

maybe Laos also since we owe them

KomradeX posted:

Cuba, The People's Republic of China

except for you. you are a rogue and deserve caning.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Here's the tomahawk factory for comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzXW2GZh4qs

quote:

Rittenhouse started taking online classes at Arizona State University as a non-degree seeking student
======
To be admitted to ASU as a nondegree student, you must either be a high school graduate or currently enrolled in high school. 

If you're currently enrolled in high school or under the age of 18, you may be admitted as a nondegree student by submitting an official high school transcript and a letter of approval from a high school counselor or principal. You must have a 3.00 cumulative GPA in Arizona Board of Regents competency courses to be considered for admission.

crepeface posted:

huh, the narrator says the factory produces 1000 a day. wonder if that's meant to be a single factory or all of China's factories combined. I would imagine it's the latter.

Hard to say but it's a big factory

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Weka posted:

Here's the tomahawk factory for comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzXW2GZh4qs

Hard to say but it's a big factory

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Danann posted:

Why the gently caress would Arizona not be part of the “Western forces”?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can kind of see that because they'd be in competition for dwindling water supplies

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
im more interested in what caused texas and california to team up

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Is this good for America?

https://twitter.com/paulmcleary/status/1775287808724226289

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cerebral Bore posted:

some politics journalist got into an early screening and said the politics of the civil war are barely in the movie at all and it’s instead just about putting modern warfare into an American setting to show the people itching for an actual civil war how horrible it would for white people to experience

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
figures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Elon Musk hyperloop