Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

im gonna be honest with you guys: i like linux and its the operating system of the computer that i actually own

you have a mac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

if yospos were a distro which one would it be

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

gentoo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

gentoo

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

yospos: putting the fun into -funroll-loops

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

renormalize running whatever processes you need on an optiplex in the basement

i have shared your Greg's Optiplex Under The Desk Theorem with my zoomer/mill coworkers, by the way, and they think it's insane but really charming and yeah this might work, maybe if Steve ran a backup machine under his desk, yeah that'd be sufficient

--

anyways as old and grognard as i am i really love jamming everything into docker. It just feels nice to have a controlled sandbox starting point and then you punch holes for ports and mounts, and as long as you remember that VMs are pets and containers are cattle and you don't try to persist anything inside the docker, it works great.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
im actually not so opposed to containers as i am to k8s

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
back in the yosbbs days I hand loving rolled a 3-node redundant setup for the board using docker (custom dockerfile) and raw etcd, and since the bbs software wasn't aware of any sort of clustering, i synced all the data folders using, i poo poo you not, btsync. so it was bittorrent updating all the /data folders with, oh idk 5-10 seconds lag? but it WORKED.

anyways when kubernetes dropped i was all "oh did somebody just put lipstick and a wig on etcd and dockerfiles? Neeeeeeat. Wow" and everybody got mad

neat facts: when i was developing that thing i had a github thingy and i had an alias for when i changed something and wanted to bring it live

alias shoveit="git add .; git commit -am "bug fixing"; git push"

now that's Agile

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I was just asking whatever happened to the yosbbs I wanted to play that game or at least get all the dialogue and stuff archived somewhere lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

that reminds me to use aliases for common commands I run instead of being a caveman about it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Traditionally I fired it up during my usual post labor day depression / SAD jag. It's been a few years. The last time i had interest i was talking with hilbo about it and welllll. anyways maybe it'll return some day. I'm trying to move into a real place this year so this summer is busy, but if everything goes right i'll get the enormous sadbrains in september when the days get short and we'll get another run.

It was so fun to hack edit the LoRD monster files with yosposter names. Stymie attacks you with his Labor Accusations, etc.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
One year i got so sweaty about it that i hacked the messageboard interface of the bbs software to be able to read and post on this very subforum. The trick was that you had to upload your session cookie to it. i doubt many people would do that ityool 2024 lol. Learned a lot about how the forums work, though. when you click submit post you get sent a token and you have to regurgitate that back to actually make the post. Figured all that out with some lovely python and whatnot.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

everyone post ur session cookies. jonny first

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it was one one of the higher effort things I’ve ever seen someone do for laughs on the internet and it was great :)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i still have the repo up of that

_memcached_ rofl jesus what was i thinking

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

I just switched to ubuntu server from Win10 on a thinkstation to run all of my piracy crap and its working pretty well except for some dependency bullcrap making deluge not work at all. getting to act like a 13 year old 1337 h4xor using the command line again is kinda fun too but also kind of a pain cuz i don't know all of the commands by heart yet so I've got like 15 tabs open for poo poo like mount or rm.

just install tldr to get quick usable examples

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hm

what laptops are people buying that has so many issues with battery life in linux? are you guys buying alienwares or something

when i think about it, i'd guess the main culprit is lack of hardware video acceleration when using linux out of the box. you have to jump through some hoops to be certain that is works, but this is old news.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

ryanrs posted:

OK, I found an experimental Realtek driver I can enable in the OpenWRT build system, that might get the wifi working.

I can't believe this thread talked me into compiling Linux.

I did successfully build an openwrt image for my board, which involved lots and lots of compiling. The Rock Pi S booted the image and came up fine, which was sorta surprising tbh.

Alas, the wifi chip is still not recognized.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbag is trying to run Linux on his toaster so the toast isn’t audible

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

when they had it running on their popcorn machine it burnt the kernel :haw:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Tankakern posted:

when i think about it, i'd guess the main culprit is lack of hardware video acceleration when using linux out of the box. you have to jump through some hoops to be certain that is works, but this is old news.

hmm that could be it. it'd explain why i get better battery life on clear, it's optimized to take advantage of everything it can by default. most distros aren't

a lot of them also use llvmpipe by default since they don't come with drivers out of the box (clear does, for intel gpus anyway). some people might not notice because llvmpipe performance is pretty decent until you try actually running a game or something else gpu-intensive

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

hbag is trying to run Linux on his toaster so the toast isn’t audible

XD

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

booting up my arch linux desktop at work, ready for a full day of posting

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I was just asking whatever happened to the yosbbs I wanted to play that game or at least get all the dialogue and stuff archived somewhere lol

i have some bbs software running on a vps but i cba to set it all up. the art alone would take forever

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Honestly same. I had to set up a Windows computer yesterday and it's stupid as poo poo.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

_memcached_

rip livejournal

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

installing steam os and uhhh

it's probably fine

that looks like a custom-made monitor chassis. I'm betting you put the panel in the wrong way.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

that looks like a custom-made monitor chassis. I'm betting you put the panel in the wrong way.

actually, the steam deck screen is a portrait display installed in landscape mode, so on the deck, which is the only device for which steamos is currently intended, it's fine

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

The_Franz posted:

actually, the steam deck screen is a portrait display installed in landscape mode, so on the deck, which is the only device for which steamos is currently intended, it's fine

lol. i forgot they did that

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Tankakern posted:

hm

what laptops are people buying that has so many issues with battery life in linux? are you guys buying alienwares or something

Lenovo Thinkpad which seemed to be a popular choice

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Tankakern posted:

hm

i believe my laptop is a dell G3 3500

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

git apologist posted:

just install tldr to get quick usable examples

fukkin noice

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

hbag posted:

i believe my laptop is a dell G3 3500

that's what you believe, but i believe it is an asus eeepc!

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

oh man, speaking of which, an asus eeepc 1001 was actually my only laptop for around 5 years or so. it came with XP and ran like poo poo. installed arch on it and it was capable even of running a competent game of warcraft 3 through wine. incredible little piece of poo poo.

i did most of my first two years of university with it before jumping aboard the refurbished thinkpad train.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

akadajet posted:

yeah you're probably right

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Nobody Interesting posted:

glinet own. i have the GL-A1300 which i think has gigabit, but no PoE or microsd card. it's a "travel router" but it works great even when not traveling.

The AR750 arrived, and seems to pretty much function as advertised. Which is to say, I asked it to create a wifi network, and it did. I'm not planning on using any of the VPN functionality. Its purpose in life is to advertise SSID poop_net, which will provide connectivity to a leak sensor on a sewer pipe.

I also also have a homebrew motion detector / floodlight that I want to hook up to the USB port.

The AR750 has a pin header inside with 3.3V and I2C, so you can connect sensors and poo poo, or a little screen. You could use it as a $16 PoE ethernet to I2C translator, with proper crypto and on-going security patches. You will need to solder in a PoE power supply module, but those are pretty standardized. Power about is about 2W idling with both radios on.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I mean this in the most :shobon: way possible: if I install a Linux will my pc spontaneously melt if I some how do something wrong?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

and also how are multi monitor support and whatever the Linux version of Wine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I mean this in the most :shobon: way possible: if I install a Linux will my pc spontaneously melt if I some how do something wrong?

Linux is fine. pick a decent distribution and it will work fine and not break anything. despite the memes, sound will almost certainly work perfectly and nothing will melt

for me, if it has a problem it’s that there’s too much choice for stuff like DE’s and I get distracted. gnome with a few extensions to remove/change some weird defaults works well for me. kde i just cannot do because it’s an endless set of settings that I will never be done loving with

if you just want to try it out install one of *ubuntu variants. poo poo will work and you’ll be able to get packages for basically anything

also wine for Linux is wine, silly