Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

W.T. Fits posted:

They had to remove polygons from the player character models to fix the grapes. Please understand.

That's a dangerous road they're taking there. Soon we'll be back to 1.0 where the pottery will have more detail than the player characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That was a fun little duty. And I'm glad they remembered how cool Find Your Flame is.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Thundarr posted:

En Avant-ing directly into the death wall because my model hadn't fully turned in the direction I wanted to go.

But I did avoid the AoE.

in my 4 years of savage raiding, i never managed to do that, is it a high ping thing?

i did fatfinger it a couple times and yeeted myself off the platform and whatnot, but never this

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

biceps crimes posted:

My character model has never appeared more lacking than it does in this event with Clive. Where are my polygons?

I didn't even notice a single difference. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

We have Torgal at home

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Clive's outfit dyed pearl white looks suspiciously like The Boss's sneaking suit, if she added some armored limbs and a cape.

Truga posted:

in my 4 years of savage raiding, i never managed to do that, is it a high ping thing?

i did fatfinger it a couple times and yeeted myself off the platform and whatnot, but never this

Since changing direction with your character via stick rather than via attack activation actually has a half second animation, sometimes I anticipate a move and En Avant during that couple of frames of animation. If that happens, you shoop off in the direction you're facing in the animation. Sometimes to embarrassing effect!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Bruceski posted:

We have Torgal at home

drat it, we had one rule! ONE rule! Don't feed Torgal after midnight.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cheeseman posted:

I love that Yoshi P literally stares into the camera then says "Go play final fantasy XVI"

Then release the PC port already you wandering jerk! :argh:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cheeseman posted:

I love that Yoshi P literally stares into the camera then says "Go play final fantasy XVI"

I was seriously expecting a trailer for FFXVI to play after the fade to black at the end of the event

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Attack on Princess posted:

drat it, we had one rule! ONE rule! Don't feed Torgal after midnight.

Oh I like that one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Go and play FFXVI" is really funny as the ending to a quest right after the X-Box version came out.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

biceps crimes posted:

My character model has never appeared more lacking than it does in this event with Clive. Where are my polygons?

Your polygons are in currently in transit and are due to arrive late June. Please look forward to the great smoothening.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

"Go and play FFXVI" is really funny as the ending to a quest right after the X-Box version came out.

they arent level 50 yet anyways

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I was vaguely disappointed we didn't get any real conversations with Clive about Eorzea's differences from Valisthea.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I wanted him to be more concerned with crystals and magic but it's fine

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

its clive night at the omega protocol

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Vitamean posted:

its clive night at the omega protocol

Clive Nights at Edna's

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Anyone have any good guides/pointers on how to best level crafters/gatherers at the moment? Currently focused on herbalist/miner before switching to crafting

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Zeruel posted:

I wanted him to be more concerned with crystals and magic but it's fine

Yeah, it's fine, just kinda a shame. Even Noctis got a little bit of quiet time with the WoL. Clive is too possessed of grim purpose to be distracted by wondering at the world - even the airship flight is sadly offscreen.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 3, 2024

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
They need to do an Allied Tribes capstone-style quest where Iroha, Lightning, Noctis and Clive all come back and we have a special trial fight rematch against the giant Shantotto.

Then we all go camping together.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's very funny to me that they've apparently had the power to make alisaie say "poo poo" for all these years and not get in trouble but decided "shite" fits the vibe of FFXIV better

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The extra syllable makes all the difference.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Wish they could have managed to get voice acting for the event. I get the sense Clive's English VA would have signed up for it, but probably wrangling the rest would have been harder.

I think I liked the FFXV event better, honestly, both the plot and the duty.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The event semi-convinced me to try XV but for the fact that I couldn't do it as my WoL.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Jetrauben posted:

Clive is too possessed of grim purpose to be distracted by wondering at the world

Been saying this! Dude's all duty no soul

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

they should put a dodge parry in dawntrail bozja

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

goblin week posted:

Been saying this! Dude's all duty no soul

It's funny because in FF16 Clive is honestly extremely warm and has a strong community around him! Albeit often post-timeskip.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Yeah, we are getting Clive here just before he starts to open up a bit.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

reversefungi posted:

Anyone have any good guides/pointers on how to best level crafters/gatherers at the moment? Currently focused on herbalist/miner before switching to crafting

For (non-Fisher) Gathering:
  • Do your daily Grand Company turn-in
  • Fill out your Gathering Log
  • Do your Class Quests
  • (20-80) Go gather a bunch of poo poo in Ishgard Restoration's Diadem and have it inspected (hang on to it for your Crafter leveling)
  • (50+) Do your weekly Custom Delivery
  • (70+) Do the Crystalline Mean in the Crystarium and (80+) the Studium in Old Sharlayan
  • (As a last resort) Do level-appropriate levequests or farm Collectables

(For Fisher, just do Ocean Fishing, it's a ridiculously fast way to get EXP.)

For Crafting:
  • Do your daily Grand Company turn-in
  • Fill out your Crafting Log
  • Do your Class Quests (even the HW ones that require Mastery books, it's worth it and there's NPC vendors in Idyllshire for some of the more obnoxious mats if you're not just buying the completed goods off the MB)
  • (20-80) Go craft a bunch of poo poo in Ishgard Restoration's Firmament and have it inspected
  • (50+) Do your weekly Custom Delivery
  • (70+) Do the Crystalline Mean in the Crystarium and (80+) the Studium in Old Sharlayan
  • (As a last resort) Do level-appropriate levequests or farm Collectables

Onean fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 3, 2024

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

the daily grand-company turnins are obscene exp and since i'm allergic to grinding i leveled all my gatherers and crafters almost exclusively on them (plus job and tribe quests). it takes a while on the calendar but in terms of actual time/effort put in it's hard to beat

add firmament grinding to taste

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I just did the quest. Warning, I'm about to make everyone extremely angry:

That was legitimately the worst event in this game I've ever played, and I'm struggling to think of a worse fight than 16 Ifrit, that was ten minutes of loving nothing. It's almost a feat to have come up with a less engaging fight than ARR Ifrit, but here we have it. I was actively ignoring the dodge in favor of just running out of the AoEs any time it was possible, because that was much more fun. Was the lesson they learned from the XV event's Garuda fight to never give an event fight an actually dynamic mechanic? Because Warp Strike barely worked, but at least it tried to be engaging.

And as for the rest... apparently 16's soundtrack sounds like Nier's, if Nier's didn't know how to be hauntingly beautiful. And sadly, Clive woke up without a personality... and it doesn't look like that was the amnesia's fault. I hope for 16's sake that this was just a bad showing, because oof.

Also, this outfit has 'superhero muscle suit' vibes on my character, it looks terrible.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

nah, the fight itself was pretty boring outside of the cinematic showoff bit (being synced to 50 sure doesn't help). i was pleasantly surprised they managed to make a dodge/counter that actually felt halfway decent in xiv but of course we still have the piss puddles and an actual on-screen countdown for when to press the button because lol at expecting xiv players to read animation tells (or have that even be reasonable with 200ms ping)

we got the dog tho, that's what's important

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The fight was balanced around using the dodge, because it gave you the free damage of the counter afterwards. So by walking out, you actively make it take longer.

Personally I'd say it was pretty rad.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I liked the dodge but I'm going to assume the servers would explode trying to get that to work with 4/8/24 people doing it all at once on the regular.

I do wish the damage for a successful doge and counter was a bit higher and the info could have been a bit clearer that all attacks were dodgable.
There was also a lot of filter between the bigger parts.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 3, 2024

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i was dodge countering pretty much everything and the fight still felt like it was dragging on. i didn't really pay much attention to how much damage the counter was actually doing but i probably milked it for a lot more than the typical player

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
It wouldn't have hurt for the fight to be half its duration.

I'm not into modern Final Fantasys and accept that I'm not the target audience though. Having said that, the force-shield cinematics were pretty cool.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 3, 2024

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Oneiros posted:

i was dodge countering pretty much everything and the fight still felt like it was dragging on. i didn't really pay much attention to how much damage the counter was actually doing but i probably milked it for a lot more than the typical player

I was playing Machinist, and it was doing I think six to eight times the damage of a Split Shot. Big enough for me to see that they clearly intended it to be the big payoff, but not big enough for it to actually be a big payoff if you aren't playing a job that wants to get back in with the counterattack anyway.

It's clearly a mechanic from a character action game, because it assumes you actually want to be in melee, and just doesn't make a lot of gameplay sense if you don't.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
The phoenix attack also does like x10 any of the level 50 attacks you have so not using that also probably contributes to dragging the fight out

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Also the fight doesn't make it obvious, but you can use the dodge-and-counter on everything, not just the stuff you're being prompted to. It's an attempt to simulate the vibes of FF16 combat, at least as I remember it being when I played it, and I liked it just fine. If you do the mechanics as intended, it doesn't drag any worse than your average in-game solo duty, far as I felt.

Clive's personality is a little bit bland here, fair enough, but if you're purposely not engaging with the mechanics of the special fight out of some weird sense of stubbornness then I dunno. I did it as a white mage and just rolled with the in-and-out thing and had a nice time.

Also Torgal is REALLY ADORABLE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

FeatherFloat posted:

Clive's personality is a little bit bland here, fair enough, but if you're purposely not engaging with the mechanics of the special fight out of some weird sense of stubbornness then I dunno. I did it as a white mage and just rolled with the in-and-out thing and had a nice time.

There's not engaging with a mechanic out of stubbornness, and there's not engaging with a mechanic because it doesn't seem like it's actually worth using. And I think for a lot of people--definitely for myself-- it just didn't look like an essential mechanic, because it isn't. And if we're all coming in with our own established rotations and game plans, it kinda needs to feel essential for it to feel worth breaking from that.