Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Faro gets blamed for too much he correctly assessed that the machines posed a threat if they were turned against humanity, and the programmers involved, instead of making them unhackable as requested produced entirely hackable machines that had no off switch.

Really if people had followed his simple instructions it would have been fine.

You might have confused some details.

The entire point of the machines was to use them against humanity. They were weapons, not tools that turned bad. The docile ones in the game's present are new creations, not the original war machines.

They weren't externally hacked, the flaw developed inside one group of them and couldn't be stopped because they were indeed unhackable in any practical amount of time. The game says something like the encryption could be broken over a few decades, but I don't actually remember if the Gaia/Zero Dawn system pulls that off or the Plague ends because of a lack of fuel once they consume the Earth. The lack of an off switch was also all Faro. In fact, in the game you find a log where he tells his engineers to just upload a service pack and has to be reminded he made them not make that possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The entire point of the machines was to use them against humanity. They were weapons, not tools that turned bad. The docile ones in the game's present are new creations, not the original war machines.

They weren't externally hacked, the flaw developed inside one group of them and couldn't be stopped because they were indeed unhackable in any practical amount of time. The game says something like the encryption could be broken over a few decades, but I don't actually remember if the Gaia/Zero Dawn system pulls that off or the Plague ends because of a lack of fuel once they consume the Earth. The lack of an off switch was also all Faro. In fact, in the game you find a log where he tells his engineers to just upload a service pack and has to be reminded he made them not make that possible.

re: their shutdown, it's the latter - sobeck's plan was to bunker away whatever resources they could and let the machines take the rest until they shut down

it's suggested that something pinged them to make the plague start - most likely vast silver, a previous rampant AI - but it's not conclusively stated

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gently caress talking about Ted Faro

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

gently caress Dr. Neo Cortex

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

jokes posted:

gently caress Dr. Neo Cortex

ngl i thought the idea of making the super hard challenge bonus levels in crash 4 flashbacks to cortex’s animal torture “experiments” was pretty hosed up

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Apr 2, 2024

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

re: their shutdown, it's the latter - sobeck's plan was to bunker away whatever resources they could and let the machines take the rest until they shut down

it's suggested that something pinged them to make the plague start - most likely vast silver, a previous rampant AI - but it's not conclusively stated

The very last datapoint you can find in Forbidden West's DLC is about Vast Silver, which does suggest it will matter in 3 since they did the same trick with a reference to Odyssey/Far Zenith in the first one's DLC. But that datapoint implies that Vast Silver is actually friendly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

If the code in one machine can be altered by another one in an unwanted way, that's hackable. Which happened, repeatedly

Given that it was built to an existing encrpyption standard, the idiot who lost the encrpyption key and couldn't sign any additional patches or updates is the real person responsible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

It was something like six CENTURIES to crack the encryption, and they just factored that in as a to-do item as part of the project because it wouldn't matter on the timescale they operated on.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

"actually, it's not the trillionaire CEO's fault for asking for something evil and bad" is a weird hill to die on

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

"actually, it's not the trillionaire CEO's fault for asking for something evil and bad" is a weird hill to die on

I was ”he is contributing to fixing the problem he caused so at least he’s better than some real-life billionaires” for about a third of the game.

gently caress Ted Faro.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I was ”he is contributing to fixing the problem he caused so at least he’s better than some real-life billionaires” for about a third of the game.

gently caress Ted Faro.

Only because Sobek was blackmailing him with revealing that it was his decisions were the cause of it all in the first place and oh no, not his reputation! The world dying so what, but what will people think of me?!!?!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Croccers posted:

Only because Sobek was blackmailing him with revealing that it was his decisions were the cause of it all in the first place and oh no, not his reputation! The world dying so what, but what will people think of me?!!?!

Still better than some real-life billionaires.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
DEAD ISLAND 2. You need to complete a broken circuit to restart the breaker in some guy's shed. You can pick up jerry cans and dump water/oil to make pools so if you go outside and search a little bit you'll--

Oh, okay! That works too.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:14 on Apr 2, 2024

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I've started a new Cyberpunk 2077 game and one smaller thing I really like is how perfectly janky it feels to travel over rooftops. It works fine enough that you don't fall through geometry and there's usually a way to get back down to street level but it's still empty and buggy enough that it feels like you're outsmarting the game in unintended ways.

In the fight against the cyberpsycho in ankle-deep water like that one scene in Ghost in the Shell, I couldn't find a way to take her down non-lethally so I double-jumped over to some balconies until she lost aggro, then climbed back down silently, hacked her to stun her for a few seconds, jumped down and grabbed her. Felt pretty good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All the cars in Mad Max are right-hand drive, for obvious reasons

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

CordlessPen posted:

I've started a new Cyberpunk 2077 game and one smaller thing I really like is how perfectly janky it feels to travel over rooftops. It works fine enough that you don't fall through geometry and there's usually a way to get back down to street level but it's still empty and buggy enough that it feels like you're outsmarting the game in unintended ways.

In the fight against the cyberpsycho in ankle-deep water like that one scene in Ghost in the Shell, I couldn't find a way to take her down non-lethally so I double-jumped over to some balconies until she lost aggro, then climbed back down silently, hacked her to stun her for a few seconds, jumped down and grabbed her. Felt pretty good.

I found that many of the rooftops were detailed enough that when I was on one, I thought, this must be a safe spot to save my game because otherwise there wouldn't be so much detail up here. I'm meant to be up here!

And then I spend an hour savescumming as I Morrowind-hug the slopes and walls hoping I can get down without killing myself.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

haveblue posted:

All the cars in Mad Max are right-hand drive, for obvious reasons

and your companion gives you poo poo if you keep getting in on the wrong side :laugh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Got through the Mine level in The Chant - I'm liking the variety of characters in the game and the varying sources of their traumas, like Maya who is a formerly anti-vax mother who's child died due to her neglect and she's now reeling over her complete failure to protect her child - and she is doomed to repeat her mistake of not listening to the people who know better because she's allowing the gloom to manipulate her into thinking her dead child is leading her somewhere, while ignoring the protagonists warning that it's a lotus eater trap. It's a pretty cool game so far, and the way combat items and powers stack can be quite satisfying.

The whole new-age retreat thing also means that it makes sense that weapons break because they're just bundles of herbs and essential oils that you use to fight literal embodiments of Bad Vibes.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Apr 2, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Going back to the first Bioshock, I like how it fakes you out a little bit at the start by giving you a wrench to hit things with. Oh boy, good old melee combat, but nope - thirty seconds later, you get to start shooting electricity from your other hand. They're not loving around, maybe five minutes into the game and you already have a superpower :science:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Captain Hygiene posted:

Going back to the first Bioshock, I like how it fakes you out a little bit at the start by giving you a wrench to hit things with. Oh boy, good old melee combat, but nope - thirty seconds later, you get to start shooting electricity from your other hand. They're not loving around, maybe five minutes into the game and you already have a superpower :science:

...and then enemies become insane bullet sponges so doing a stealth melee build becomes the most effective way of dispatching them.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I do have a soft spot for when your starting weapon can turn into an absolute monster with enough love and care.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Breetai posted:

...and then enemies become insane bullet sponges so doing a stealth melee build becomes the most effective way of dispatching them.

Assuming you refuse to use anti-personnel rounds, get headshots, and never ever take damage upgrades for your guns.

The game's enemy scaling isn't perfect by any stretch, nor is the devaluing of regular ammo a good thing, but there's way less of a gap in effectiveness than people claim.

In fact, iirc, you can literally take all the same stealth/wrench tactics and just apply them to the revolver. Or any other gun that isn't the tommy gun. The game trains you to Electrobolt stuff and then clobber it, but stunned enemies take bonus damage from the next incoming hit regardless of source.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

John Murdoch posted:

Assuming you refuse to use anti-personnel rounds, get headshots, and never ever take damage upgrades for your guns.

Yeah, like what? Bioshock gives you tons of ways to be a murder machine, even if the wrench is the most satisfying way to take down a Big Daddy.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

moosecow333 posted:

I do have a soft spot for when your starting weapon can turn into an absolute monster with enough love and care.

Same.

I'm thinking of Resident Evil 4, where fully upgrading the starting pistol gave it a high chance to instakill on headshot. On normal difficulty it's whatever, but on professional it becomes really good because everyone's got high health.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Vic posted:

Same.

I'm thinking of Resident Evil 4, where fully upgrading the starting pistol gave it a high chance to instakill on headshot. On normal difficulty it's whatever, but on professional it becomes really good because everyone's got high health.

In the original RE4 this was a trap option because it doesn't stop beheaded enemies from reviving as a parasite monster and it isn't worth the low damage vs other pistols and high investment for max upgrading.

Might be different in the remake, idk.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

drat horror queefs posted:

In the original RE4 this was a trap option because it doesn't stop beheaded enemies from reviving as a parasite monster and it isn't worth the low damage vs other pistols and high investment for max upgrading.

Might be different in the remake, idk.

HA! Another neat RE4 trick. Plaga spawns are decided randomly on map load. It's a commonly accepted fact that headshots trigger plagas and it's completely bogus.

*tips fedora*

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Leave posted:

Yeah, like what? Bioshock gives you tons of ways to be a murder machine, even if the wrench is the most satisfying way to take down a Big Daddy.

It's one of those things that's been lodged in my head for years because SA had folks who insisted that the wrench build was literally the one single true way to play the game, no exceptions, because it was maximally optimal. While simultaneously complaining that they loving hated it and blamed the game for "making" them play that way.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
It's precisely because they're randomly generated that a pistol that's worse than every other pistol except for headshots is undesirable to me.

Playstyle difference I suppose :shrug:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

drat horror queefs posted:

It's precisely because they're randomly generated that a pistol that's worse than every other pistol except for headshots is undesirable to me.

Playstyle difference I suppose :shrug:

It's super cheap to upgrade which means more money for more important weapons
Skill based headshots making it only pay dividends when you land them
Red9 means death due to reload on professional.
Chad pistol vs virgin red9

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CordlessPen posted:

You can just mod a weapon to be non-lethal and gun them down that way if you can't get the drop on them for a quiet takedown.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Or shoot them with a real gun. They’re bosses, they can take it.
Just don’t keep shooting after they hit 0%.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

All my weapon choices in RE4 and most games are based on what looks cool. Stats are for nerds.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Crowetron posted:

All my weapon choices in RE4 and most games are based on what looks cool. Stats are for nerds.

:hmmyes:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Watching a retrospect video on Grabbed by the Ghoulies, and while it may have gotten a raw deal from development and reception standpoints, I feel like its real main problem was the protagonist was a pretty boring generic kid. And if there's one thing the Xbox/PS2/Gamecube era proved it's that third person action protagonists should be fun. Dante, Kratos, Ammy, those kind of characters carry a game because they're entertaining and fun to watch in pretty much everything they do.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Crowetron posted:

I used to think this then I played RE4make and god that spread on the regular shotgun is getting me killed on Professional mode.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

John Murdoch posted:

It's one of those things that's been lodged in my head for years because SA had folks who insisted that the wrench build was literally the one single true way to play the game, no exceptions, because it was maximally optimal. While simultaneously complaining that they loving hated it and blamed the game for "making" them play that way.

A chunk of goons also believe that the only viable build in alpha protocol is pistol headshot

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Lone Badger posted:

Or shoot them with a real gun. They’re bosses, they can take it.
Just don’t keep shooting after they hit 0%.

I just stuck a nonlethal mod on a decent shotgun and called it my Cyberpsycho-problem-solver. Just liked picturing V turning up at a cyberpsycho callout, cocking it, and walking in to knock yet another one out for recovery :allears:.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ilmucche posted:

A chunk of goons also believe that the only viable build in alpha protocol is pistol headshot

It is pretty drat powerful. And it pairs well with stealth.

I could never get over how goofy the crouch movement in stealth is tho. If Sam Fisher from the Splinter Cell series is a gracious butterfly, then Mike from Alpha Protocol is a caterpillar that is stumbling awkwardly because it really needs to poop and can't find the toilet.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Crouch walking is just one of the weird gameplay things you have to get over when playing a stealth game, like enemies forgetting where you are after ten seconds. It doesn't make you that much less visible, and it's hell on the knees and hips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Philippe posted:

Crouch walking is just one of the weird gameplay things you have to get over when playing a stealth game, like enemies forgetting where you are after ten seconds. It doesn't make you that much less visible, and it's hell on the knees and hips.

Raul and Dean Domino both complain about this in FNV.