Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Jay Rust posted:

Quick diablo 4 question... the oft-discussed noel caldwell-gervais video gave me the impression that it's best to NOT do any of the side quests and exploration during the campaign, because you end up hitting the level cap far too soon, is that accurate? Especially now since i guess there's a special event happening now that increases xp gain by 35% (cannot be toggled off)

The end of the campaign expects you to be around level 40-45. Level cap is 100 and you won't be hitting that in world tier 1 or 2 no matter what you do. Just do whichever ones are close by or seem fun. As for exploration, the story will take you around most regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why is everyone so mean to plucky lil Diablo 4

Paying2Lurk posted:

The end of the campaign expects you to be around level 40-45. Level cap is 100 and you won't be hitting that in world tier 1 or 2 no matter what you do. Just do whichever ones are close by or seem fun. As for exploration, the story will take you around most regions.

As i understand it, you can't get past level 50 until you finish the campaign, and apparently this youtuber man reached that way before the end

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I played it at launch and ended up right at like 45 at the end. XP gain has been bumped up across the board a few times since then though. So it's probably easier to hit 50 yeah.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Why is everyone so mean to plucky lil Diablo 4

i paid $70 and played through the campaign at launch and had one of the worst experiences in an arpg i've ever had. it was very bad.

i'm going to assume the campaign is still really badly written because i doubt they would go back and make the story any better, all the changes have been to gameplay stuff and everything you do after the story.

season 2 i played a bunch of and had a decent time and now season 4 might be okay again but who can say for sure.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hmm I mean it is on Game Pass I guess. I heard a lot of negativity around it when it launched but maybe they patched it to be okay by now. Then again, I hear it doesn't have a loving loot filter and I don't know if I can deal with that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

At some point Kalypso stopped releasing a new Tropico every year or so. Never noticed before.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

Hmm I mean it is on Game Pass I guess. I heard a lot of negativity around it when it launched but maybe they patched it to be okay by now. Then again, I hear it doesn't have a loving loot filter and I don't know if I can deal with that.

As someone who played the first couple seasons and thought it was ok, I would make a strong recommendation to not bother until the new season starts. There's a big big update coming with the next season which I think starts in May? Reports from the test server in the D4 thread are that the updates are looking pretty good.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Kerrzhe posted:

i paid $70 and played through the campaign at launch and had one of the worst experiences in an arpg i've ever had. it was very bad.

i'm going to assume the campaign is still really badly written because i doubt they would go back and make the story any better, all the changes have been to gameplay stuff and everything you do after the story.

season 2 i played a bunch of and had a decent time and now season 4 might be okay again but who can say for sure.

I've gotten a couple of games full price that just did nothing for me. I know DD 2 is a good game I just don't like it. I know Diablo 4 sucks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

At some point Kalypso stopped releasing a new Tropico every year or so. Never noticed before.

Does that mean they perfected or, is the latest Tropical the best or was it several versions ago and it took them a while to realize?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

One of the lines the Emerald Herald tells you while you're skipping her dialogue in DS2 to level up already is to Seek Adversity

The adversity is the fun of it.

It's not fun specifically in dark souls 2, but otherwise you're spot on

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dabir posted:

yes it is

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dark souls 2 ftw.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Dabir posted:

a lie will remain a lie

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Don't forget, Dark Souls is the Dark Souls of Dark Souls.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I found a fourth place to sleep in DD1 that is not right next to the other three :woop:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i'm replaying dark souls 3 right now and i killed the dancer as early as possible which took me like 2 hours with the dark club you find from the mimic. then i got the twin axes from the fat knight in lothric castle and now we ballin

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Always remember to put a few points in Adversity

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
automatic +10 boost to ADV by killing dancer before vordt. i did not, however, go for the x3 multiplier by killing oceiros, or the mega millions adversity jackpot by killing gundyr.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

i'm just saying that disliking ds2 is a skill issue

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

SirSamVimes posted:

DS2 is the last one I haven't played, can't wait. Might even start this weekend.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ds2 is great. And still looks amazing

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ds2 has some major issues…
1. No ragdoll corpses
2. When you pick up an item, it doesn’t show you its inventory icon, it only displays its broad category (e.g. weapon, ring, consumable, etc)
3. Longsword 1-handed strong attack isn’t a thrust

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
DS2 feels like floaty slippery garbage

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I am a dark souls 2 enjoyer, bearer seek seek lest

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Shard posted:

Ds2 is great. And still looks amazing

It didn’t look great even on release day :v: Some areas have amazing atmosphere despite that though

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Liking ds2 is tied to one of those trap skills where taking them fucks up your build. It's the Resistance of opinions

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The revamped lighting mod that came out for DS2 a year or so ago actually looks really nice. I didn't get too far into it but Majula looked hella cool.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

The revamped lighting mod that came out for DS2 a year or so ago actually looks really nice. I didn't get too far into it but Majula looked hella cool.

Link?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/1146

Says it's still "in alpha" but it already seemed pretty complete to me. You can even toggle which features you want on/off.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Don’t need a mod to turn dark souls 2 off!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

2 Dark Souls? In this economy?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They called the third souls game Dark Souls II

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

God I might start playing Bloodborne again this year. I did a full run just last year. Maybe this is the year I clear all those lovely chalice dungeons.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I know a lot of yall played Pentiment and I wanted to ask a question about the story

Why do you think Andreas was so obsessed with saving those books?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

pentiment spoilers: in that moment, he's suicidal

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Shard posted:

I know a lot of yall played Pentiment and I wanted to ask a question about the story

Why do you think Andreas was so obsessed with saving those books?

Maybe pentiment spilerd From what I reckoned from the story that Kiersau Abbey was quite unique at the time with housing a large quantity of one-off, unique manuscripts as most other abbeys of its type already shut down their scriptoriums and sold off their libraries? A lot of what was in that library was irreplaceable

But my andreas had the bookworm background so it was also weirdly entirely on-brand for him

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/1775491168920535086?t=ROoFT4sfuASAzkpFu59z_w&s=19

a powerful photo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Lipstick on a pig

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Everyone at this table can, and will, kick your arse at video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

three nerds