Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hihohe posted:

It still blows my mind man.
How many people are out there using viking as a descriptor regularly in thier daily vocabulary.

They have to be studied.

I can only assume 100% of them were raised in Minnesota and Wisconsin or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Hihohe posted:

How many people are out there using viking as a descriptor regularly in thier daily vocabulary.

They have to be studied.

At least one, duh: Ralph Wiggum

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

It is tough. You just have to try harder.

I hate Viking posts, you see
It's not a drat analogy
Ralph is speaking of his own reality

Oh my god! Am I wrong?
So thinks Mike all along
You've finally made a Viking
(Yes, we've finally made a Viking)
Yes, you've finally made a Viking out of sleep

I hate you, Simpsons meme thread!
https://i.imgur.com/hLOstao.mp4

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

PittTheElder posted:

I can only assume 100% of them were raised in Minnesota and Wisconsin or some poo poo.

Given the Vikings propensity for playoff disappointment, that makes it take on a different connotation.

CPColin posted:

At least one, duh: Ralph Wiggum

:hmmyes:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

More molememes please

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Wayne Knight posted:

More molememes please

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

ultrafilter posted:

Found on Simpsons Bortposting:

I feel like this scene should see more use in poo poo posting than it does.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiggr4sicGI
You all aware of the Steamed Hams Speed-running scene? He says you'd need TAS to do any better, but I bet a bit could be shaved off.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Hihohe posted:

They have to be studied.

The confusion is understandable, because the line in the show mirrors a conventional syntactic structure which is used to convey one's relationship to an abstract discipline in other contexts. If I say, "Oh boy, philosophy! That's where I'm a champion!", or "Oh boy, break dancing! That's where I'm a beast!", it's clear that the anaphoric phrase "that's where" denotes a general field of activity rather than some concrete activity, and that the direct object of the main clause is to be understood metaphorically rather than as a direct identity claim. Transposing this structure onto Ralph Wiggum's utterance generates the same set of expectations (i.e. that "sleep" is a general field of activity, and that "viking" is a metaphor). While the process by which novel metaphors are understood in practice would require a separate post all of its own, they typically depend on the audience recognising the most salient elements of the concept evoked by the vehicle of the metaphor (i.e. "viking") and how they might aptly be applied the tenor of the metaphor (i.e. the discipline of "sleep"). If one understands that the properties of, say, strength and power are highly salient to the concept of "viking", then one interprets the metaphor as suggesting that Ralph is strong and powerful at sleeping; i.e., he is very good at it. The fact that "viking" is not a conventional metaphor doesn't prevent such a metaphorical implicature from falling out of the utterance as it is produced in the context of the show.

The problem here is that the main clause appears to imply an identity claim when taken literally (i.e. "I'm a viking" suggests on a literal reading that Ralph is actually viking) which viewers recognise as nonsensical in context (i.e. it is clear to the viewer that Ralph is not, in fact, a viking) which presses them almost automatically into metaphorical interpretation to make sense of the claim (i.e. Ralph is strong and powerful at sleeping). This could have been avoided if the writers had included a modal operator ("Oh boy, sleep! That's where I can be a viking!") or a causitive form (Oh boy, sleep! That's where I get to be a viking!") so as to make it clear that "being a viking" is an affordance generated by the process of sleep, rather than a metaphorical identity claim.

Of course, it could be argued that Ralph, in the context of the show, is not sophisticated enough to semantically distinguish these different structures (i.e. perhaps he really does believe himself to become a viking during the act of sleep, which is why he phrases it this way) but I still believe that there is a way that the writers could have avoided the ambiguity of the original line, while remaining true to the fundamental naivete of Ralph's character. Namely, they could have had him say, "Oh boy, sleep! That's when I am a viking!". The use of the pronoun "when" in this context makes it clear that Ralph's being a viking is contingent upon some concrete, temporal process (as opposed to the more abstract reading of "sleep" evoked by the original line) which makes it easier for the viewers to recognise that Ralph believes himself to become a viking while sleeping (i.e. because that is what he dreams about) instead of being a viking at sleeping (which the original structure, on a plausible reading, appears to imply). Boy I sure hope someone was fired for that blunder.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Uh-huh, and what does the canon (Quebecois) dub say?

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Arbite posted:

Uh-huh, and what does the canon (Quebecois) dub say?

The French dub literalises the metaphorical interpretation that Ralph is strong at sleeping, also using "ou" ("where") in place of "quand" ("when") in line with the English original:

Oh chic, dormir! C'est là où je suis le plus fort!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:dudsmile:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

20 years ago? That seems…

Wait.

(Checks IMDB)

:corsair:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

posters 20 years ago: I don't get it, they put Aragorn's head in a Simpsons scene? Where's Insanity Wolf and Bad Luck Brian?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

loquacius posted:

posters 20 years ago: I don't get it, they put Aragorn's head in a Simpsons scene? Where's Insanity Wolf and Bad Luck Brian?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
From r/simpsonsshitposting

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

It is tough. You just have to try harder.

I hate Viking posts, you see
It's not a drat analogy
Ralph is speaking of his own reality

Oh my god! Am I wrong?
So thinks Mike all along
You've finally made a Viking
(Yes, we've finally made a Viking)
Yes, you've finally made a Viking out of sleep

I hate you, Simpsons meme thread!

:kstare:

(love it, even though I'm a Ralph metaphorist)

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Blurred posted:

The French dub literalises the metaphorical interpretation that Ralph is strong at sleeping, also using "ou" ("where") in place of "quand" ("when") in line with the English original:

Oh chic, dormir! C'est là où je suis le plus fort!

Exactly! Why do people think Ralph knows what he's talking about? He believes that being a Viking at something is like being a champ. Because he's wrong, and that's funny!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kar3E2qkYrM

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
drat, always the meme thread.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Blurred posted:

The confusion is understandable, because the line in the show mirrors a conventional syntactic structure which is used to convey one's relationship to an abstract discipline in other contexts. If I say, "Oh boy, philosophy! That's where I'm a champion!", or "Oh boy, break dancing! That's where I'm a beast!", it's clear that the anaphoric phrase "that's where" denotes a general field of activity rather than some concrete activity, and that the direct object of the main clause is to be understood metaphorically rather than as a direct identity claim. Transposing this structure onto Ralph Wiggum's utterance generates the same set of expectations (i.e. that "sleep" is a general field of activity, and that "viking" is a metaphor). While the process by which novel metaphors are understood in practice would require a separate post all of its own, they typically depend on the audience recognising the most salient elements of the concept evoked by the vehicle of the metaphor (i.e. "viking") and how they might aptly be applied the tenor of the metaphor (i.e. the discipline of "sleep"). If one understands that the properties of, say, strength and power are highly salient to the concept of "viking", then one interprets the metaphor as suggesting that Ralph is strong and powerful at sleeping; i.e., he is very good at it. The fact that "viking" is not a conventional metaphor doesn't prevent such a metaphorical implicature from falling out of the utterance as it is produced in the context of the show.

The problem here is that the main clause appears to imply an identity claim when taken literally (i.e. "I'm a viking" suggests on a literal reading that Ralph is actually viking) which viewers recognise as nonsensical in context (i.e. it is clear to the viewer that Ralph is not, in fact, a viking) which presses them almost automatically into metaphorical interpretation to make sense of the claim (i.e. Ralph is strong and powerful at sleeping). This could have been avoided if the writers had included a modal operator ("Oh boy, sleep! That's where I can be a viking!") or a causitive form (Oh boy, sleep! That's where I get to be a viking!") so as to make it clear that "being a viking" is an affordance generated by the process of sleep, rather than a metaphorical identity claim.

Of course, it could be argued that Ralph, in the context of the show, is not sophisticated enough to semantically distinguish these different structures (i.e. perhaps he really does believe himself to become a viking during the act of sleep, which is why he phrases it this way) but I still believe that there is a way that the writers could have avoided the ambiguity of the original line, while remaining true to the fundamental naivete of Ralph's character. Namely, they could have had him say, "Oh boy, sleep! That's when I am a viking!". The use of the pronoun "when" in this context makes it clear that Ralph's being a viking is contingent upon some concrete, temporal process (as opposed to the more abstract reading of "sleep" evoked by the original line) which makes it easier for the viewers to recognise that Ralph believes himself to become a viking while sleeping (i.e. because that is what he dreams about) instead of being a viking at sleeping (which the original structure, on a plausible reading, appears to imply). Boy I sure hope someone was fired for that blunder.

Get Drew Barrymore's brother to read this for an hour and a half and I'll listen, but I ain't reading that.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Trabant posted:

:kstare:

(love it, even though I'm a Ralph metaphorist)

Ralph Wiggum Metaphorist is a top tier username

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave

Blurred posted:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i now understand why people war over trivial religious differences. death to the heretical ralph metaphorists :killing:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Fix It posted:

i now understand why people war over trivial religious differences. death to the heretical ralph metaphorists :killing:

He's not being metaphorical, he's just wrong!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Arnaud Amalric, looking over the Simpsons meme thread in the throes of Viking Metaphorist heresies: kill them all, God will know his own.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

kdrudy posted:

Get Drew Barrymore's brother to read this for an hour and a half and I'll listen, but I ain't reading that.

I need to rewatch that video :2bong:

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!
Ralph is dreaming of being a literal Viking. He's 9.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I get that being mad at the argument itself is part of the joke, but since it hasn't gotten any positivity yet i just want to break kayfabe to say that i appreciated the writeup

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

time to repost a classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Blurred posted:

This poster gets it