Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sanlav posted:

There's plenty of dmt saved up for the big blast off in your skull. They just need to hook that scanner up to me at a phish show.

As far as I'm aware this isn't proven in any way. I've not read any conclusive proof that there is enough DMT produced or present in the human body to cause near-death experiences. Happy to be wrong about this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

weird dreams last night

no big titty bushes though (that I remember)

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Marzzle posted:

the secret of GATE programs is that school districts don't have enough money to give everyone a decent education so they pick the cream of the crop for extra funding and more capable teachers because you don't want to squander your middle class geniuses who can't afford private schooling.

i dunno ours was held in a disused bathroom closet and after i graduated they shut it down in favor of football funding

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Hatebag posted:

the sun doesn't even shoot gamma rays or xrays at us. just boring old ultraviolet through infrared

sun -> solar wind -> bremsstrahlung -> x-rays

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Rickshaw posted:

i dunno ours was held in a disused bathroom closet and after i graduated they shut it down in favor of football funding

because once they graduated you that was the peak, you were the most gifted and talented of all time

LtDan
May 1, 2004

mr_jolly posted:

Related to NDE chat:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/02/new-science-of-death-brain-activity-consciousness-near-death-experience

Was the brain, as a receiver, saying it's final farewell to the consciousness it hosted or have we somehow evolved a completely pointless trait which means at the point of irrevocable death we bow out with a wave of useless dreams?

I wonder if this happens to non humans as well like dogs and dolphins as a example

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
does it happen to crustaceans? mollusks?

how analogous are different kinds of nervous systems

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

https://twitter.com/TheProjectUnity/status/1775476947130224875

quote:

Lue Elizondo's book is set to be published on November 7th, 2024

SUBJECTS:
Body, Mind & Spirit / UFOs & Extraterrestrials, Unexplained Phenomena, Political Science / Intelligence & Espionage, Science / Space Science / General, Social Science / Conspiracy Theories

DESCRIPTION:
The Roswell crash site. The Phoenix Lights. Area 51. Sightings, conspiracies, glimpses of the unexplained. Decades of questions unanswered.

Forget what you think you know about Unidentified Flying Objects.

On 25 June 2021, the Pentagon released an historic report confirming 144 incidents of 'unidentified aerial phenomena' (UAP) with no easy explanation. The US Navy and Air Force have confirmed ongoing sightings of bizarre objects moving at blinding speeds - often around nuclear and defence sites. Barack Obama has publicly acknowledged the concern.

Luis Elizondo spent an accomplished military career hunting drug traffickers and terrorists, before being posted as Director of US Government's highly sensitive Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program (AATIP) in 2008. In that capacity, Elizondo led an international effort to study UFOs around the world.

Shocked by what they found, Elizondo told his commanding officers: the world needs the full truth. When Elizondo's superiors refused, he resigned his post in order to go public. Since then, he has led the global disclosure effort.

- Are we alone?
- Are governments in possession of wreckage?
- What do we know about the science and tech of UAP?
- Have UAP compromised our nuclear weapons caches?
- What's inside a UAP?
- Where do UAP go between sightings? Do they have a base, or do they live among us?
- And the biggest questions of all: Who. Are. They?

As a civilian with high-level national security clearance, Elizondo is widely viewed as the world's most credible authority on UAP and UFOs. This memoir reveals groundbreaking - even shocking - details of what AATIP learned, and the profound implications, not just for humanity but for everything we think we know about our lonely place in the universe.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

After the election huh

Weird choice

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

love the serious face

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

This guys source is Google Books lol that doesn't mean anything

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

ok fine, read this then:

https://twitter.com/RTicky166/status/1775394718253216102

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

euphronius posted:

love the serious face

[ASMR] Caring and Concerned Lue Elizondo explains the g-forces involved with the Tic-Tac UAPs would have liquefied terrestrial pilots

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

https://twitter.com/DannyFlynnArt/status/1775516878074421561

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Saucer Hovers posted:

spooky hustlers gangtag when

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

euphronius posted:

love the serious face

wish i could edit this to be lue's face but i've not the skill

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
not that i’d expect anything different but i’m very skeptical the book will tell anything new or even be very well written (unless they’re paying a ghost to do it for them)

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

going to steal lue’s book and then not read it

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Rickshaw posted:

but the class size was probably less than 15 people. that's where the cost is. could teach twice the number of kids with the same number of staff. gifted programs are a (comparative) moneypit for school districts that provides a decent student/teacher ratio with the justification of "the brightest children are our future" (with a disproportionate representation of middle class white boys who are good at IQ tests)

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

also sayin this as a gifted program attendee with uncanny psy powers :smug:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Marzzle posted:

but the class size was probably less than 15 people. that's where the cost is. could teach twice the number of kids with the same number of staff. gifted programs are a (comparative) moneypit for school districts that provides a decent student/teacher ratio with the justification of "the brightest children are our future" (with a disproportionate representation of middle class white boys who are good at IQ tests)

my gifted classes in high school were largely just a free period where 4-5 of us sat around debating philosophy and theology with the teacher that ran the program
it was pretty awesome all things considered

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

GT was just a way for general population to get a breather from the loving weird kids

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

yes i was in GT, yes I had many brushes with death as a kid, yes i have blue eyes some days

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The prosaic explanation probably would be something like the combination of the G&T program and having an uncomfortable awareness of your own mortality leads people to naturally become curious about what's Out There at the boundaries of our physical and temporal existences, thus the crossover to becoming interested in this topic.

Lackey
May 31, 2000

Monsters?
They look like monsters to you?

I'm curious as to what MBTI types people are here, to be honest. Perhaps it's an inquisitive personality with being receptive to what isn't concrete and established. Was it Riot Bimbo (miss you Riot Bimbo, hope you're doing all right) who is an INFJ? Are we all just intuitive feelers who are picking up on things others are unable to grasp?

I score as INFP-T.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

The Saucer Hovers posted:

yes i was in GT, yes I had many brushes with death as a kid, yes i have blue eyes some days

*beams a big titty GPB into ur dreams*

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

SKULL.GIF posted:

The prosaic explanation probably would be something like the combination of the G&T program and having an uncomfortable awareness of your own mortality leads people to naturally become curious about what's Out There at the boundaries of our physical and temporal existences, thus the crossover to becoming interested in this topic.

also trying to cope with the trauma almost dying but surviving it leads to a lot of "why was I chosen to still be here when I could of died" questions

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lackey posted:

I'm curious as to what MBTI types people are here, to be honest. Perhaps it's an inquisitive personality with being receptive to what isn't concrete and established. Was it Riot Bimbo (miss you Riot Bimbo, hope you're doing all right) who is an INFJ? Are we all just intuitive feelers who are picking up on things others are unable to grasp?

I score as INFP-T.

Most consistently I get INFP-T as well but I usually wind up near the middle in the last two and will occasionally oscillate to INTP and even more rarely these days, INTJ (I remember I used to be strong INTJ in high school and must have swapped at some point in the last ten years)

This test says I prefer to be INFP though so I think that helps solidify it for me as a choice I'm making to be that sort of person rather than the purely rational one I was growing up https://similarminds.com/cgi-bin/mbpref.pl

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lackey posted:

I score as INFP-T.

I don't know that I've posted it before but I am an INFJ.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you used to be able to take the mmpi online

I guess that was too nice

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

anything but comparing myers-briggs indicators itt lmao

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I’m a FIGJAM

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I think many, most, possibly all humans (and other conscious, social beings?) have a connection to the greater consciousness of the universe (the Source, God, etc) as part of our base model. In Egyptian philosophy a human person has a number of individually recognized components -- ka, ba, name, shadow, etc -- but the one I think about a lot was called "sekhem" which today we translate as "power" or "form" but don't seem to know much about wrt its perceived purpose or function. I have occasionally seen it translated as "divine image." I find that one interesting as I personally understand a person's sekhem as being the part of them that is being accessed when that person attempts to exert supernatural/spiritual/charismatic influence. Magicians were sometimes referred to as having a powerful or effective sekhem.

But like any specialized organ or muscle, lack of use leads to atrophy. I think most people these days don't spend time developing their connection to the All until or unless they have some sort of experience (or series of experiences) that prompts for them a journey of self-discovery and development -- whatever that experience may be and however that journey then reveals itself. The biggest thing that we all have in common here is that we are journeying.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

imo mbti is just astrology for people who don’t believe in the zodiac

like chat about it fine but don’t try to find deeper meaning in it

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

mediaphage posted:

like chat about it fine but don’t try to find deeper meaning in it

So is the political compass lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mediaphage posted:

so it’s real ?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Waffle House posted:

So is the political compass lol

sure, okay? but mbtis don’t tend to group together based on test results and try to legislate me from existence so it’s still not the same sort of thing

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

euphronius posted:

so it’s real ?

:argh:

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I think many, most, possibly all humans (and other conscious, social beings?) have a connection to the greater consciousness of the universe (the Source, God, etc) as part of our base model.

Sorry to only focus on this first bit, but I think it's important to mention every time I can, that we have never separated from the oceanic/universal/source consciousness because there isn't anything separate from it in the first place. There is obviously clear differences in the level of realization within a single mind, or even just the ability to recognize one's own ordinary aware consciousness, but the fact stands that no form of life whatsoever seems to lack awareness. It's kind of the prerequisite for life, to be self-organizing systems of energy. To be self-organized requires some sort of self-recognizing something in order to self-organize, and the term we have for that self-recognizing-or-knowing something is consciousness.

That all being said, please do not mistake consciousness-as-is for mind or minds. A mind, from my perspective, is a seemingly dissociated and separated (only seemingly, mind you) point of localization within the Source consciousness. That localized point of awareness, which is really only the original Source consciousness, offers the Source the opportunity to act and witness said acts within itself like we do in our own dreams.

There is no true evolution of consciousness, or separation from consciousness, only varying degrees of recognition of one's true nature within the frameworks of the seemingly separated minds that we use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

what's everyone's skull size?