Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The thing I loved about the old host segments was that they perfectly nailed the balance between corny, self aware and funny. Case in point, the last host segment of Devil Fish.

Pearl, close to the camera, gives the premise: they have nearly succeeded in fooling the two passengers who turned up for their "cruise" (this was already earlier lampooned with Pearl saying they managed to leave port before any more passengers got on board, and one of the SOL crowd asking how that's even supposed to make sense when they're in a castle and getting told to shut up) and now just need to get through the Captain's Dinner. "What could possibly go wrong?" she says, before very deliberately moving aside to reveal that Bobo is the captain, and that is in fact what will go wrong.

And then it goes wrong.

Also, I had forgotten the end credits skit for Devil Fish: Mike and the Bots increasingly hysterically laughing along to the "hilarious" freeze frame joke the movie ended on.

Man, what a good episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"I still miss you. I want to know what happened to you..."
"I died."

Mike's delivery of "I died" just kills me every time.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"I still miss you. I want to know what happened to you..."
"I died."

Mike's delivery of "I died" just kills me every time.

One of the riffs that does that for me is from The Brain that Wouldn't Die, when the mad scientist doctor finally gets to the "country house" with his girlfriend's head, and his assistant wants him to see something in a closet.

Servo: "Oh, so that's why you had me kill my girlfriend, so I could see THE CLOSET?!?!"

His outraged indignation is spot-on.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Servo: "Oh, so that's why you had me kill my girlfriend, so I could see THE CLOSET?!?!"

His outraged indignation is spot-on.

Yeah, that's a good one. I love it when the movies are so bad they cause the SOL crew to get angry.

Also, Prince of Space is on right now.

"Leave the children alone!"
"You hear that, Jerry Seinfeld?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Oh for crying out - EACH OF YOU WILL ENTER A SPACE CAPSULE!" is one of those riffs that's stuck with me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This was also right after a segment on how bad the main actor's acting is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULZYkrzpUiw&t=4378s

I disagree that they don't regularly do this kind of "meta filmmaking" riffs, they just don't do it at every opportunity. They still point out boom mikes and weird ADR. Watch out for snakes!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Who said that?!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I’M BACK!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"Track of the Moon Beast" was on again today and this time I marveled at the direction of the film as it gets to the end. It's a bold choice to make the protagonist suicidal going into the third act...and even more bold to make him screamingly incompetent. You've got a scene of characters saying "He's got a motorcycle..." "No, he'd never try to do it with a crash, he knows you can survive that" which is promptly followed by a stunt performer intentionally wiping out on said bike. Then there's the shot of him taking a rough tumble down a hillside, but nowhere near a fatal one. And the girlfriend suddenly and inexplicably becoming endangered as they climb the mountain so she can join him as he...tries to fall off of it again? (I thought maybe that part was the result of something they cut for time, but the original film is on Youtube for free and a quick check confirms that nope, she just suddenly needs Paul to rescue her from...something.)

"This is hard, I shoulda just bought that shotgun..."

Another line that always gets me: "Man, ski conditions suck!" during the establishing shot of a cable car in the desert

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Watching Teen-Age Strangler and I know it was a tiny small town production and that's its charm but I do love in the opening when they're carting the body away for some reason somebody in the background just laughs. Crow goes: "It's not funny!"

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Teen-Age Strangler has been my favorite discovery from the Forever-a-thon. Everyone in it is just trying SO HARD.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Lumbermouth posted:

Teen-Age Strangler has been my favorite discovery from the Forever-a-thon. Everyone in it is just trying SO HARD.
When Mikey and the girl walk into the police station to confess they're really giving it their all.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JethroMcB posted:

And the girlfriend suddenly and inexplicably becoming endangered as they climb the mountain so she can join him as he...tries to fall off of it again? (I thought maybe that part was the result of something they cut for time, but the original film is on Youtube for free and a quick check confirms that nope, she just suddenly needs Paul to rescue her from...something.)

She got her foot caught under a rock somehow. I only noticed this on my fortieth or so viewing so don't feel bad for missing it.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

"This is hard, I shoulda just bought that shotgun..."

Another line that always gets me: "Man, ski conditions suck!" during the establishing shot of a cable car in the desert

Cop: You're an anthropologist, Johnny. I just thought...

Servo: ...You'd anthropologize.

Another riff that gets me every time.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Horror at Party Beach, where the toxic chemical barrel sinks super-fast and then the cap comes off and it starts leaking. Mike, exasperated, "Oh, *immediately*."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Murdstone posted:

When Mikey and the girl walk into the police station to confess they're really giving it their all.

Lmao at the whole family having to relocate in shame over a bicycle theft

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Sure most radiation is harmful eventually, but ours does massive damage in a matter of seconds!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

She got her foot caught under a rock somehow. I only noticed this on my fortieth or so viewing so don't feel bad for missing it.

Ah, you're right. I missed that because I was distracted by the 5 second sunset/sudden onset total darkness.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

HopperUK posted:

Horror at Party Beach, where the toxic chemical barrel sinks super-fast and then the cap comes off and it starts leaking. Mike, exasperated, "Oh, *immediately*."

Once again our tastes align! That one entered my lexicon for a while.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
finished King Dinosaur. whyd they have to atom bomb the island. i mean they were clearly able to just escape

"We brought civilization to Planet Nova..."
"Was that irony? This late in the film?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Cop: You're an anthropologist, Johnny. I just thought...

Servo: ...You'd anthropologize.

Another riff that gets me every time.

One from Kitten With a Whip is:

Educated Teen Thug: "I minored in PolySci. Political Science."
Crow: "Oh, so you're unemployed!"

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Once again our tastes align! That one entered my lexicon for a while.

I always use Servo's "that's no good; that'll ruin a planet" from Code Name: Diamondhead whenever I screw something up.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The following exchange just popped into my head:

Dr. F: "No, Frank, think evil."
Frank (singing): "I love ~ baby ducks."

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

[Nepalese] money ...

from the land of nipple!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
"All this trouble over a fat little man in a red suit."
"Truman Capote?!"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The not-really-a-joke phrase that's lodged in my brain is Observer saying cheerfully that he's invited his friends over "to watch Sliders in my room." I have no idea why that's so funny to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HopperUK posted:

The not-really-a-joke phrase that's lodged in my brain is Observer saying cheerfully that he's invited his friends over "to watch Sliders in my room." I have no idea why that's so funny to me.

If it's the episode I think it is, it's the absurdity of it being FAR more popular than Pearl's "big" party.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Don't change the subject

Servo: "it alters the meaning of the sentence"

Also

Evil husband from screaming skull: "now this may sound selfish..."

Servo: "but I want everything for me"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Mine’s Mike’s “He’s a fighter” in the orbital fishing sketch

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Uncle Wemus posted:

Also

Evil husband from screaming skull: "now this may sound selfish..."

Servo: "but I want everything for me"

I think the title was supposed to be "Screaming, semicolon, Skull"

And of course there's the classic "I LIKE IT VERRA MUCH."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Fandom MST3K wiki is a bit wild at times.

Now, admittedly I haven't watched that Twilight Zone episode so I guess it's possible that they say this line in that episode or something and this is, in fact, a reference. But I would say that probably this is instead a "reference" to the fact that the submarine is obviously a toy in someone's tub, and a continuation of the same "Special Effects By Billy!" riffs they've been doing for a while.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A lot of those early Twilight Zone episodes had the same exact twist because shooting on backlots with some leftover pieces from Paramount's westerns and war movies was a whole lot cheaper than the higher-concept stuff. "Oh no we're trapped in a domestic set town where all the actors we'd otherwise have to pay are conveniently missing!"

That's where I thought The Bubble was going with its premise, but it couldn't even deliver on that. My wife was so angry at the end of that movie.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The Fandom MST3K wiki is a bit wild at times.

Now, admittedly I haven't watched that Twilight Zone episode so I guess it's possible that they say this line in that episode or something and this is, in fact, a reference. But I would say that probably this is instead a "reference" to the fact that the submarine is obviously a toy in someone's tub, and a continuation of the same "Special Effects By Billy!" riffs they've been doing for a while.
I might be just super high but this is incredibly funny to me. It might have been written into the wiki as a joke? I can't tell haha

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh dear. Don't tell me (though I know it's true) that the MST3K wiki is on a level of reference-explaining pedantry that rivals or surpasses the Homestar Runner one

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lampsacus posted:

I might be just super high but this is incredibly funny to me. It might have been written into the wiki as a joke? I can't tell haha

It was hilarious to me too. And I don't think it's a joke, because the edit history reveals it's been fine tuned and clarified several times over the years.

But now I kinda want to sneak in some ridiculous "reference" and see what happens. Like maybe in Quest of the Delta Knights when the bat knights ride around and they make squeak sounds, it could be a reference to the Calvin and Hobbes comic where Calvin makes a presentation about bats where he claims they are bugs, and just like the other children point out, bats are not bugs -- and neither are the knights who are obviously humans.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 3, 2024

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

zoux posted:

For some reason it cracks me up when Mike says, “Must be my birthday…” when he’s trying to swat away stuff thrown at him by the bots’ monkey.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When Servo goes into the intro song from that ubiquitous Pure Moods TV ad at the beginning of Werewolf it's always a suddenly vivid reminder that MST3K made it into the late 90s.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

zoux posted:

"She thinks I'm average looking." :smugdog:

Also follow up: "Seduce an attractive woman? Not really my forte. I can give you maybe 15-20 seconds."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

When Servo goes into the intro song from that ubiquitous Pure Moods TV ad at the beginning of Werewolf it's always a suddenly vivid reminder that MST3K made it into the late 90s.

SESSIONS PRESENTS R DEAN TAYLOR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

HopperUK posted:

That's one of those things where I wonder how annoying Sliders commercials were on Sci-Fi at that moment, since that was one of the other Sci-Fi originals then.