Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

There's not engaging with a mechanic out of stubbornness, and there's not engaging with a mechanic because it doesn't seem like it's actually worth using. And I think for a lot of people--definitely for myself-- it just didn't look like an essential mechanic, because it isn't. And if we're all coming in with our own established rotations and game plans, it kinda needs to feel essential for it to feel worth breaking from that.

It's cool and does a lot of damage.

I used it and was playing Samurai, a job that most people would consider pretty rotational at 50.

Also in a solo duty technically speaking there is zero reason not to be in melee unless you're a physrange, because you still melee even on casters and healers (for what little it matters).

The fight isn't any harder or easier based on closeness to the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cleretic posted:

There's not engaging with a mechanic out of stubbornness, and there's not engaging with a mechanic because it doesn't seem like it's actually worth using. And I think for a lot of people--definitely for myself-- it just didn't look like an essential mechanic, because it isn't. And if we're all coming in with our own established rotations and game plans, it kinda needs to feel essential for it to feel worth breaking from that.

such incuriosity

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I had a lot of fun with the mechanic. Clive wasn't particularly Clive-y here but one of the issues is that (for good reasons!) they've got him here on the cusp of really important character development. But outside of his context I can see that it's a little dull.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Dodge was funny cause you still had to sorta time ut like getting out of AoEs so I pushed the limits of how far it snapshotted :v:

That said they should have made it clearer the Phoenix skill is Big Damage cause the fact counters also closed the gap made me not use it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also in a solo duty technically speaking there is zero reason not to be in melee unless you're a physrange,

If you read my posts you'll realize that I was a Machinist. So, y'know, the exact outlier that you described.

Runa posted:

such incuriosity

Actually I was curious enough to actively observe the damage the counterattack was doing, and realize it wasn't worth it compared to just keeping up the bullet hell.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Cleretic posted:

If you read my posts you'll realize that I was a Machinist. So, y'know, the exact outlier that you described.

Actually I was curious enough to actively observe the damage the counterattack was doing, and realize it wasn't worth it compared to just keeping up the bullet hell.

You could've done both, tho. Jam them Machinist buttons when there's nothing much happening, and use the dodge-counter the rest of the time?

This is probably evidence they could have tutorialized "Please Use These Special Buttons Lots" a little stronger but I suppose then you'd get people complaining it was too handholdy.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I never once managed to time the warp strike right to get it to connect in the XV duty. I have no idea how that was supposed to work but it wasn't necessary in the end.

Edit: huh I watched a video of someone doing that fight and there's a fly-in text telling them to use it now, but when I review my video of myself doing it there's no such prompt. I wonder what UI element I hid to turn that off lol

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 3, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was a Bard and the counter was very clearly doing several times the damage of any of my GCDs

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

FeatherFloat posted:

This is probably evidence they could have tutorialized "Please Use These Special Buttons Lots" a little stronger but I suppose then you'd get people complaining it was too handholdy.

how much stronger can you tutorialise when they already pop up a big screen with blown-up images of the buttons and repeatedly asking you to press them because they let you do deal free extra damage

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

The fight was fine for what it was. They probably should have made it so you had to engage in the mechanics to win but the XV fight being perceived by some as overly punishing (there were people whining on Reddit about how it was "impossible" just a few weeks ago) scared them off.

I like that there are so many rewards: a mount, a minion, an outfit (which even if you don't like the entire thing has some truly excellent individual pieces), 10 orchestrions, and a TT card.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the game should slow down and there should be big flashing text on the screen going PRESS [Duty Action 1] NOW!!!

if you press it confetti should pop

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

also lol at the idea that being a ranged job means you should avoid being in melee range. yeah lemme be as far away as possible so phantom ifrit's cones become harder to dodge, for no reason

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Vitamean posted:

its clive night at the omega protocol

forgot to post it last night but a jill has hit the protocol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I didn't have any trouble with the button and it was an a-ha moment when i realized i should stand in every bad spot and hit the button, timer on screen or not. It also seemed to have a generous timer on it.

I think being a tank makes it easier if rotation is messing people up. Tank rotations at 50? :lol:

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 3, 2024

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I enjoyed the solo duty and playing around with the special buttons. It also gave me a chance to slum it and see what it's like to be a dirty clicker

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think they need to have a lot more fun with the writing for these crossover quests. FF15 worked and you could like the goof, getting a more dull amnesia plot for FF16 was agony. If Clive has dialogue past "I have amnesia" I didn't appreciate it much.

I get that doing a crossover into FF14 applies some hard limits(dimensional traveler comes to Eorzea and punches one of their own foes with us) but they could still shake it up and avoid being this dull. How about somebody barrels in, thinks they're in one of their foe's spaces and attacks us, we respect and team up with one another after a solo duty fight with them? A fun misunderstanding. Like the FF5 crew comes in, declares we're one of the freaks Exdeath employs in the Cleft of Evil, we fight, then we go beat up Greg together. :v:

Fighting Ifrit was decent, health bar too big even as a dodge farmer and button pusher on cooldown.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 3, 2024

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Cleretic posted:

The counter alone does several times more damage than MCH’s third combo hit, what do you mean it wasn’t worth it

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Duty was good and fun. Buttons worked great.

Ifrit gonna stomp me? Let me show you a little trick Susano taught me!

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

so even with a big flashy full-screen tutorial telling you "use these buttons" people still refuse to use them

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The part where he did half room attacks one after the other, but also filled the place you'd have to dodge into with more AoEs, was a good way to telegraph that the precision dodge button will work even without the countdown indicator.

And yeah both those buttons do way way more damage than any of your regular attacks, there's no reason at all to just not use them. Or to stand out in Kansas unnecessarily.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

It also says it directly in the pop ups at the start

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Onean posted:

[*] (As a last resort) Do level-appropriate levequests or farm Collectables

I'd quibble with this for leveling crafting, especially ~60+, as Collectables become very easy to max out with scrip gear which you get a bunch of from doing said Collectables and sets you up for acquiring all the master recipes and ingredients while also being very fast if you want to grind it out.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

NachtSieger posted:

I didn't even notice a single difference. I have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't know what to tell you, aside from that I'm jealous and would also prefer to not be able to tell

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

the encounter took me 7 minutes, but at least a couple of those are locked up in events mid-battle. so basically it's like 5 minutes of combat and Cleretic probably dragged that out by like 3 more minutes (at least) by not using the big flashy special buttons that give you a fuckton of extra damage. what a fascinating story

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I was playing Machinist, and it was doing I think six to eight times the damage of a Split Shot. Big enough for me to see that they clearly intended it to be the big payoff, but not big enough for it to actually be a big payoff if you aren't playing a job that wants to get back in with the counterattack anyway.

It's clearly a mechanic from a character action game, because it assumes you actually want to be in melee, and just doesn't make a lot of gameplay sense if you don't.

If you were not using the dodge then you were leaving a shitload of damage on the table.

For one thing, you can use the dodge even without the thing being onscreen and still get the precision strike, so you literally never should be dodging aoes because the dodge window is a loving mile long so if you even remotely understand mechanics you'll be using precision dodge constantly and dealing insane amounts of damage.

If you're refusing to use it because it is 'unnecessary' then you're effectively pulling a Ice Mage. I did it on Sage and used it constantly because it deals a shitload of free damage. Being in melee range isn't a negative for a ranged class. You don't do less damage up close.

Your argument also doesn't actually make any sense for "it's a character action game mechanic" because precision dodge in FF16 is useful even when using ranged attacks.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 3, 2024

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I went into the solo duty as a monk, read the full-screen tutorials about the duty action buttons and what they did, and at one point tried to use the Dodge button on an AoE and promptly ate poo poo because it didn't work. Which led me to the conclusion, "Oh, it only works on the ones it prompts you to hit it for." Ended up dying during the spikes portion because I wasn't expecting them to constantly explode while trying to DPS them down and panicked because I was at low health and couldn't find a safe spot.

Went back in on normal as Monk, got back to the spikes portion and made it through by paying attention and seeing where the safe spots to stand were. Made it to the last part where he keeps alternating between blowing up halves of the room before blowing up the middle and then doing the room-wide proximity explosion. Started off okay, but eventually died because I couldn't find safe spots as he filled up more of the room with explosions or couldn't run out in time, and was still under the impression that Dodge only worked on attacks that prompted you to hit it.

Went back in on Warrior on Normal for the third attempt and finally cleared it when more experimentation revealed that the Dodge does work on unprompted attacks, I was just unlucky on my first try.

So in conclusion, the Dodge was neat, but they could have been more transparent about it working on any attack, not just the ones that prompt you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
e: didn't read all the way through the post. Yeah they should have explained that a bit better.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I tried it last night without success because the non-prompted dodge timing is not yet clear to me, which is really annoying.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

rantmo posted:

I tried it last night without success because the non-prompted dodge timing is not yet clear to me, which is really annoying.
I think you want to be in motion from the dodge effect at the moment the attack's cast bar completes, and it might be a bit generous on the tail end of the dodge still triggering it

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

It's less a "Dodge" and more a GCD-long invuln.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rosalind posted:

It's less a "Dodge" and more a GCD-long invuln.

Pretty much this. The dodge period is a mile long. You can dodge, finish the entire animation, and still nosell any damage you take for a short period afterwards.

Which is accurate to FF16 because it has one of the most generous iframes on dodges in the entire genre.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i didnt use the dodge on every attack and i beat the boss my first try cause it just didn't hurt that much when it did hit me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also the music was good. comparing it negatively to nier is insane. it's nothing like the music in nier nor the music in games that have soundtracks very obviously directly inspired by nier

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Yeah, comparing FF16 music to Nier is wild. It's very obviously Soken in peak Heavensward-era form. Which, granted, is not the best of Soken's work in my opinion - a lot of Heavensward's music is mid, although it has some real standouts. But FF16's got some really good tracks, along a bunch of solid-enough-for-purpose ambient environmental music.

It sounds literally nothing like Nier's signature style!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The tracks I heard from the event are the only XVI tracks I heard besides trailer recreations and they're absolutely Soken besides a noticeable lack of leitmotifs. And that's probably either me not paying attention or the tracks being selected that way cause I refuse to believe Soken wouldn't smash leitmotifs like it's Undertale :v:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When the game says "you have a dodge button, some attacks will tell you when to dodge" I'm gonna assume that's when it works. Knowing I could've dodged everything would certainly have sped it up, maybe ended the fight before I got bored of it.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
I've also never understood why, after they go to all that work making these duties, we can only do them once. Dont get me wrong, it's a good thing that seasonal events dont require lots of grinding like they do in many other MMOs, but I'd have way more incentive to play around with the new mechanics if I had multiple tries. Could even give you a score at the end and encourage you to try to beat it, like they've done with the various dumb 2d minigames.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Onean posted:

For (non-Fisher) Gathering:
  • Do your daily Grand Company turn-in
  • Fill out your Gathering Log
  • Do your Class Quests
  • (20-80) Go gather a bunch of poo poo in Ishgard Restoration's Diadem and have it inspected (hang on to it for your Crafter leveling)
  • (50+) Do your weekly Custom Delivery
  • (70+) Do the Crystalline Mean in the Crystarium and (80+) the Studium in Old Sharlayan
  • (As a last resort) Do level-appropriate levequests or farm Collectables

(For Fisher, just do Ocean Fishing, it's a ridiculously fast way to get EXP.)

For Crafting:
  • Do your daily Grand Company turn-in
  • Fill out your Crafting Log
  • Do your Class Quests (even the HW ones that require Mastery books, it's worth it and there's NPC vendors in Idyllshire for some of the more obnoxious mats if you're not just buying the completed goods off the MB)
  • (20-80) Go craft a bunch of poo poo in Ishgard Restoration's Firmament and have it inspected
  • (50+) Do your weekly Custom Delivery
  • (70+) Do the Crystalline Mean in the Crystarium and (80+) the Studium in Old Sharlayan
  • (As a last resort) Do level-appropriate levequests or farm Collectables

Thanks for this! I had started doing Diadem along with GC turn ins but had been wondering if there was a better way/other stuff I could be doing. Helps to have it in a list form like this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Took the last few months off to play other games, but resubbed for the 16 event and to start getting back into to things for Dawntrail.

I now sadly have to resume my war against Gogo that piece of poo poo.