Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mcmagic posted:

Love to look at spoilers and have no idea what format a card is legal in lol

If it has the vault or the hat it's standard legal. The other ones are not and are just reprints. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

YggdrasilTM posted:

These cards with the vault like symbol are all standard legal cards. They were supposed to be put in an second set, like Aftermath. But Aftermath was received really badly, and they already printed those cards, so they decided to put the cards in the main set in List-like manner.

This compounds the annoyance. Aftermath had mythics, but also a lot of uncommon and rares in it. Just blanket making everything mythic is a slap to Arena, the only place that actually means anything. Suppose that's the double edged sword vs. paper where the value is loosely based on how good the card actually is.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does this art look 90s CG as hell to anyone else? It looks like a screenshot from Planescape: Torment or something to me.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

GrandpaPants posted:

Does this art look 90s CG as hell to anyone else? It looks like a screenshot from Planescape: Torment or something to me.

More stolen artwork, this time from a starcraft cutscene. What a shame

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah but 90s CG is great and surprisingly tricky to pull off in modern 3d modeling software, since they're all about looking realer faster easier over time.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

This compounds the annoyance. Aftermath had mythics, but also a lot of uncommon and rares in it.

They will not use all the cards, only 30 of them (the mythics and half of the original rares, I suppose)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GrandpaPants posted:

It's the shadows that give it that effect.

Or rather, the fact that you've got this bright blue electricity that looks like it should be giving off light, but it doesn't actually cast any shadows or interact with the rest of the scene at all. It's just plopped in the middle while the scene around it still has its pre-baked lighting.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah looking at it really feels like I'm ten years old and trying to decipher the secrets of an ancient D'ni bidet.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Secret Lair Myst when?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

This does look like it's leading to villain Jace deciding he needs to remake the multiverse in a height of cosmic arrogance when he's responsible for mroe gently caress ups than most walkers .

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

also a lot of uncommon

if you're talking about total quantity opened, yes, but there were more rares than uncommons in the aftermath set.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
is overwhelming forces the most expensive reprint in the set?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

If you mean from a regular set that's not some special foiling/lottery then yes. But I think one of the cards has a Kaladesh Inventions version that's pretty expensive.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Not really a fan of the wanted poster treatment

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ilmucche posted:

Same, nor the newspaper. Looks terrible and hard to identify.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Same, nor the newspaper. Looks terrible and hard to identify.

geeeeeeez i was apparently talking about the newspaper treatment. Not a fan of either, particularly writing "Prosperity" across the top of the card, the place where card names normally go, though at least they faded prosperity so it doesn't stand out as much as the actual card name

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Anything where the colours are super faded (see also the dossiers from last time out) are REALLY BAD

GoutPatrol posted:

these look very hard for a colorblind person to figure out easily

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 3, 2024

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ilmucche posted:

these look very hard for a colorblind person to figure out easily

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Anything where the colours are super faded (see also the dossiers from last time out) are REALLY BAD

The feedback surveys always have one question asking which style/treatment of cards from the set you’re actively collecting. They need to add a question for which ones you’re actively avoiding.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

MrL_JaKiri posted:

same with the black and white, and lotr lands

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I really like both of those :shobon:

But they do look like they'd be hard to read at a glance that's for sure. And I'm almost certainly not willing to pay a premium for either, though sometimes enough people don't like them that they're actually cheaper than the base card lol

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
At least all the card elements on the wanted poster and newspaper styles are either in the right places, or very clearly readable when they're not. I can tell what card I'm looking at at a glance, and that's better than some alternate treatments I've seen.

Was it Future Sight that had the mana costs down the side of the art? That was awful.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Future sight had them down the side.

The heavy metal secret lairs are real bad for readability

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

3B
Enchantment
When Delusions of Greed enters the battlefield, you draw three cards, gain 6 life, and create three 2/1 black Bat creature tokens with flying.

At the beginning of your end step, you discard a card, lose 2 life, and sacrifice a creature.

When Delusions of Greed leaves the battlefield, you discard three cards, lose 6 life, and sacrifice three creatures.

2G
Creature - Human Artificer
When Sandstorm Salvager enters the battlefield, create a 3/3 colorless Golem artifact creature token.

2, T: Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature token you control. They gain trample until end of turn.

1/1

--------------------------

This set has an insanely high number of strong cards, is it the first designed for 3 year Standard? I feel like we're finally getting a brewer's paradise out of it instead of a relatively static meta, I think I'm excited again about Standard for the first time since the change.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The mythics from the failed set they are jamming in kind of suck.

Rest in piece? It’s barely played in sideboards in any format.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I think "Legion foundry" and Bristlebud Farmer seem quite good.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I like the designs of these bonus cards more than most of the cards in the actual set, which says more about me than the cards themselves. I'm going to buy these and stick them in my box of EDH cards I'll never build a deck for.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sickening posted:

The mythics from the failed set they are jamming in kind of suck.

Rest in piece? It’s barely played in sideboards in any format.

Rest In Peace seems like it would be good in the sideboard against Aftermath Analyst decks, which are all over ranked standard at the moment.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Between RIP, Torpor Orb, and Pest Control it seems like they're printing a lot of situationally powerful hate cards. I think it will probably lead to a bunch of format churn as people load up/skimp on them depending on expected meta.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

That Jitte seems interesting for Saga decks.

Pest Control is obviously quite good against RW Convoke, but the colours make it a bit awkward in Pioneer. Neat card to have around, though.

Hostile Investigator barely feels like a rare, let alone a mythic. In general I think there’s way too much grousing about how many OPT riders get attached to abilities these days, but that absolutely doesn’t need it imo.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 3, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

i saw that jitte thumbnail and almost "pogged" for a second

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The new jitte is something I want to be good but am having a hard time seeing it being better than the other 1 cmc tutor options. Attaching it and needing it to connect is a heavy requirement in most formats. The payoff for connecting is... not nothing but is it powerful?

Like imagine this in scales. You get some synergy and the cost is right, but its mostly a downgrade power wise. Hammer makes it seem like win more at best and a downgrade most of the time.

I feel like the best role for the card at first glance is just a value equipment for standard for bat fun with a payoff that maybe isn't worth the effort.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Delusions of Greed is funny, I want to make it work but I get the feeling for 4 mana the best way to make it work is to play a better card.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Non-legendary Nyxthos that etbs tapped but counts tokens, hmmm.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

snyprmag posted:

It's a Reverse Nykthos, read it again

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

snyprmag posted:

It's not devotion, it's 1 of each color max.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

I like this card's design a lot.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Sickening posted:

The new jitte is something I want to be good but am having a hard time seeing it being better than the other 1 cmc tutor options. Attaching it and needing it to connect is a heavy requirement in most formats. The payoff for connecting is... not nothing but is it powerful?

Like imagine this in scales. You get some synergy and the cost is right, but its mostly a downgrade power wise. Hammer makes it seem like win more at best and a downgrade most of the time.

I feel like the best role for the card at first glance is just a value equipment for standard for bat fun with a payoff that maybe isn't worth the effort.

Untapping a Saga for another karnstruct sounds good, but scales doesn't often have the mana to take advantage of that. It's an interesting card that I think will need testing to see where it lands, if anywhere. Dice Factory might be the home for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

kung fu jive posted:

Untapping a Saga for another karnstruct sounds good, but scales doesn't often have the mana to take advantage of that. It's an interesting card that I think will need testing to see where it lands, if anywhere. Dice Factory might be the home for it.

yeah I've seen a little bit of noise around it for dice factory. I think there's a pretty convoluted way that you can turn untapping lands into infinite turns in the deck. but then again basically everything about that deck is pretty convoluted?

I sort of wish I'd bought into it years and years ago because it sounds kinda fun..