Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

TuxedoOrca posted:

What does this even achieve?

Ironclad exclusion clauses in trailer insurance policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ironically this tech could be used to ease traffic by allowing cars to follow closely behind each other in road trains buuuuuuuut it won't be used for that so...

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ironically this tech could be used to ease traffic by allowing cars to follow closely behind each other in road trains buuuuuuuut it won't be used for that so...

keep going, I'm almost there

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

keep going, I'm almost there

nearly there? you mean in an enormous, deadly pile up because some dev has the vehicles mining coins causing the emergency systems to lag?

The future could be cool but lol

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Data Graham posted:

e: oh ffs they aren't even being coy about it https://www.mturk.com/

I made some decent money doing that like 15 years ago. I think was identifying album covers or something?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

the future is like one big concept car, could be cool but ultimately not cool

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

opengl posted:

I made some decent money doing that like 15 years ago. I think was identifying album covers or something?

I remember it being pretty huge on the forums for a while, was often the first suggestion when anyone posted about needing money.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So anyhow. I'm selling bluetooth crankshafts, and all the leading voices in motorsport are saying,

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Ether Frenzy posted:

So anyhow. I'm selling bluetooth crankshafts, and all the leading voices in motorsport are saying,

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

So if your cellphone signal to your crankshaft is lovely, all of your pistons liberate themselves through your hood or the oil pan?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

the future is like one big concept car, could be cool but ultimately not cool

The past's idea of the future was far cooler than what it has actually turned out to be :mad:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

nearly there? you mean in an enormous, deadly pile up because some dev has the vehicles mining coins causing the emergency systems to lag?

I mean you're one step away from a train, which every single one of these things end up evolving into, much like a crab.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

I mean you're one step away from a train, which every single one of these things end up evolving into, much like a crab.

that is what i was thinking lol

if only cars were automated and we didn't have to drive them

and if the cars followed each other bumper to bumper

and we put them in their own roads so there's no traffic

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Oh I know but the average person just has a rock solid boner for being sat in their own little box in traffic whilst not actually wanting to be driving hence why modern cars all have so many driver aids and entertainment systems to jingle keys at them while they barely pay attention to where they're going :shrug:

I would love for poo poo to get flipped upside down and public transport and micromobility to be the push but it ain't gonna happen which is why we have dumb poo poo like self driving cars being researched for enormous sums of cash instead of that money being invested in making the environment better and getting around easier.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

In a long enough timeline - Everything becomes a train.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

In a long enough timeline - Everything becomes a train.

human_centipede.png

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That's the point: trains that don't require billions of dollars in infrastructure investments, because those obviously aren't going to happen.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That's the point: trains that don't require billions of dollars in infrastructure investments, because those obviously aren't going to happen.

To create smart roads and the cars that would allow road centipedes would cost billions.

Your old car ain't gonna be allowed on that road either

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

To create smart roads and the cars that would allow road centipedes would cost billions.

Your old car ain't gonna be allowed on that road either

Yeah but the costs from that forced obsolescence go to the end users, so the quarterly profit obsessed mega corps have less reason to oppose it. Or that's presumably the thinking.

I'm not saying it's good, I'm just saying that the people proposing it didn't just forget about trains.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just dig one-lane tunnels under everything

And fill them with personal, non-autonomous cars

This isn't the worst possible version of every system imaginable all at once or anything

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah but the costs from that forced obsolescence go to the end users, so the quarterly profit obsessed mega corps have less reason to oppose it. Or that's presumably the thinking.

I'm not saying it's good, I'm just saying that the people proposing it didn't just forget about trains.

lmao, it'd take 200 years just to settle on a standard for car to car communications, and then another 20 for it to not be completely security threat vector riddled mess

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

lmao, it'd take 200 years just to settle on a standard for car to car communications, and then another 20 for it to not be completely security threat vector riddled mess

Yeah AI have discussed all this in various threads here over the years. The world has only just come to an agreement about charging cables/ports for phones and it took multiple countries to say to the tech companies "lads, this is dumb, please stop" and even then Apple kicked off about it stunting innovation like you don't just charge your phone with the port...

The car industry is far dumber.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

and then another 20 for it to not be completely security threat vector riddled mess

Only 20......? That's a vast underestimating how bad car companies are at security IMO, let alone most car companies were busted selling personal data from cars without owner permission, they are gonna be selling every bit of any data they can get away with and thats always going to allow bad actors holes.

We really need a "Read about an old car? Post about it here in the old car thread!" in AI because new cars so loving suck and the future is looking godawful

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

invert that

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
ok FINE you hippies I'm gonna make a CRAB made outta TRAINS the carcinizatrain

or a train made out of crabs I need to think

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lmao.

Previous employer...financial institution. Coworker was the Cisco-kid of networking. As in he really knew his stuff. We needed to create a few VPN tunnels with a major NA automaker.

Now this guy was for various reasons would get stuff done along with maybe "not totally best practices" but still was usually safe and secure. Get it done type mentality.

He was appalled at the overall visibility/exposure when given the peering for the tunnel config from the automaker. It was comedy central.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Just dig one-lane tunnels under everything

And fill them with personal, non-autonomous cars

This isn't the worst possible version of every system imaginable all at once or anything

Masterful gambit, sir.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Catastrophe posted:

Terrible car stuff I finally had to acknowledge and deal with, today: Headlight lenses.

I've owned cars before with glass lenses for the headlights and all was lovely happy times but I've since had to deal with like round #19 dealing with a vehicle with plastic lenses, today. You know how they eventually turn hazy and yellow and opaque over time? Cue me kneeling in the street outside trying to buff out the awfulness.

Old pic but a previous example of me dealing with headlight lenses that were basically made of the same plastic as Tic Tac containers:

Might I recommend Cerakote's product for this?
I was very impressed with how it worked, and supposedly the final coating is ceramic clearcoat, so should last for a good long while. I was explicitly looking for a kit with a clearcoat, since that's the only way you can get them to stay clear for any length of time, and I don't have on hand and didn't want to buy at this point an automotive 2K clear (which will definitely do the job.)

I show the process in my personal thread, but the capsule version is: it comes with a set of wipes, two sets of very and super fine sandpaper, and a set of wipes with the coating. You use half of each set of everything on each headlight. First wipes remove the remains of the old clearcoat and the top (crazed and yellowed) layer of plastic. Two rounds of sanding thoroughly with each grade of sandpaper to remove the last vestiges of yellowing and smooth everything out, then the coating both protects and makes glossy and clear.
They even give you gloves (must be used - chemicals unfriendly to skin in use) and a grip for the sanding pads.

B4:

During:

(I think this was first grade of sandpaper on the passenger side, and finer grade on the driver's)

After:

Did that in January of this year. So far, so good.
I also did the taillights where I repaired a common crack along the top with super glue. After sanding and coating (I just used the used items from the headlights), the cracks are largely unnoticeable.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

ok FINE you hippies I'm gonna make a CRAB made outta TRAINS the carcinizatrain

or a train made out of crabs I need to think

Click for model kit

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 3, 2024

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

20 is optimistic when you consider that Hyundai used a public-private key pair from a tutorial to encrypt their infotainment firmware images

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Darchangel posted:

I was very impressed with how it worked, and supposedly the final coating is ceramic clearcoat, so should last for a good long while. I was explicitly looking for a kit with a clearcoat, since that's the only way you can get them to stay clear for any length of time, and I don't have on hand and didn't want to buy at this point an automotive 2K clear (which will definitely do the job.)

Project Farm did a comparison video of different headlight restoration kits.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Godzilla07 posted:

20 is optimistic when you consider that Hyundai used a public-private key pair from a tutorial to encrypt their infotainment firmware images

Well, that will help with right to repair

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Darchangel posted:

I show the process in my personal thread, but the capsule version is: it comes with a set of wipes, two sets of very and super fine sandpaper, and a set of wipes with the coating. You use half of each set of everything on each headlight. First wipes remove the remains of the old clearcoat and the top (crazed and yellowed) layer of plastic. Two rounds of sanding thoroughly with each grade of sandpaper to remove the last vestiges of yellowing and smooth everything out, then the coating both protects and makes glossy and clear.
They even give you gloves (must be used - chemicals unfriendly to skin in use) and a grip for the sanding pads.

B4:

During:

(I think this was first grade of sandpaper on the passenger side, and finer grade on the driver's)

After:

Did that in January of this year. So far, so good.
I also did the taillights where I repaired a common crack along the top with super glue. After sanding and coating (I just used the used items from the headlights), the cracks are largely unnoticeable.

Definitely didn't last long for me unfortunately. Maybe two years at most

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Catastrophe posted:

Old pic but a previous example of me dealing with headlight lenses that were basically made of the same plastic as Tic Tac containers:

No. Tic Tac containers are polystyrene while headlight lenses are nearly always polycarbonate.

:spergin:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I used the Sylvania kit on my Cayenne’s because screw paying $1200 for new ones. I’d never done it before; process is as previously described, results were excellent; just waiting to see how long it lasts

VV in the event you are serious: I would absolutely gently caress it up that way. VVV

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 4, 2024

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Guys you can just buy sandpaper and a spray can of clear coat specifically designed for the task. All that cheaper than the kit, and it will last you a decade

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Considering how few of these vehicles are actually on the roads the failure rate is pretty impressive!

https://twitter.com/bradybd/status/1775691626620535223?t=lwq6Z8BMQ1692B7JJFCRBQ&s=19

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
5 miles and that screen is filthy.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
must’ve been doing some sweet off-roading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Cybersuck.