Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/mar/30/alex-garland-civil-war-interview
Alex Garland is saying that he's not going to direct any more movies after Civil War.

"I'm directing cinema now!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/mar/30/alex-garland-civil-war-interview
Alex Garland is saying that he's not going to direct any more movies after Civil War.

Hes not a bad filmmaker, he just has colossally stupid takes

Anyways hope his next film is good

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/FoldingchairJ/status/1774591825388470675?t=ggq8I8Xak9z2a1Ldpm63cg&s=19

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A thousand elephants beavers!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I've heard nothing but praise from people I trust since I posted the Beavers trailer, so it is now high on The List

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Hundreds of Beavers is fantastic and I'm praying it gets a wide streaming release somehow

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

trevorreznik posted:

Hundreds of Beavers is fantastic and I'm praying it gets a wide streaming release somehow

Alamo is showing it, and I was hesitantly interested because of the concept. And now that I've seen even the slightest hint of praise, I'm all in

Actually, re subscribing to Alamo pass for this months offerings. The 1994 anniversary stuff alone is worth it

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1775237559116845279

So, does this mean there’s a Maoist insurgent army in control of the Northwest and the Upper Mid West? I feel like the name is meant to give that impression, but knowing that region…

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 3, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A name like that could mean goddamn anything, really, and is probably supposed to.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
That map makes me wonder how much of a poo poo I as a European am supposed to give about anything happening in Civil War. It seems to be a dumb movie intended as Commentary on... something that not even Americans are clear about, why the gently caress should I care?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You know those Twitter maps where Russia or China are randomly balkanised and presented as obvious and inevitable? This is what they look like from the other side.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it seems that naming the movie “Civil War” and being cagey about what that means seems to distract from what the story seems to be.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
like all fights men always forget why they started

all they remember is "wow cool robot!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nucleic Acids posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1775237559116845279

So, does this mean there’s a Maoist insurgent army in control of the Northwest and the Upper Mid West? I feel like the name is meant to give that impression, but knowing that region…

quote:

”Furthermore, the actual political commentary of Civil War is wildly complex. Alex Garland wisely leaves out the full context behind his war movie. There’s a brief mention of “the massacre of Antifa” that happened some 20-30 years before the film’s events. “

This review makes the synopsis sound like it came from an Onion article

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s a brief mention of “the massacre of Antifa” that happened some 20-30 years before the film’s events.

I'm starting to think Alex Garland might be an idiot.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYjbfLQDYvg

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You know those Twitter maps where Russia or China are randomly balkanised and presented as obvious and inevitable? This is what they look like from the other side.

I've never seen one of these but I've seen a bunch of the US

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Why are they trying so hard to make you hate the wood peckers laugh so much. At the end is literally just looping in the background for seemingly no reason.

It's like they're trolling parents, making sure any parents who are going to be forced to watch it over and over, knows how annoying the laugh is and that they purposefully made it that way just to gently caress with them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

dr_rat posted:

Why are they trying so hard to make you hate the wood peckers laugh so much. At the end is literally just looping in the background for seemingly no reason.

It's like they're trolling parents, making sure any parents who are going to be forced to watch it over and over, knows how annoying the laugh is and that they purposefully made it that way just to gently caress with them.

Hasnt that always been the way? I refuse to watch the clip because I hate that laugh so much

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That “I QUIT!” article that came put ahead of the movie does not bode well lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought the Woody Woodpecker movie came out years ago and everyone just ignored it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

That “I QUIT!” article that came put ahead of the movie does not bode well lol

He actually wrote “I acquit.”

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I thought the Woody Woodpecker movie came out years ago and everyone just ignored it.
You were right, it did and they did. This is a sequel to that movie!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's delightfully ambiguous. Is Antifa a location?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Per a quote from last month:

Alex Garland posted:

“Why are we talking and not listening?” he asked. “We’ve lost trust in the media and politicians. And some in the media are wonderful and some politicians are wonderful—on both sides of the divide. I have a political position and I have good friends on the other side of that political divide. Honestly, I’m not trying to be cute: What’s so hard about that? Why are we shutting [conversation] down? Left and right are ideological arguments about how to run a state. That’s all they are. They are not a right or wrong, or good and bad. It’s which do you think has greater efficacy? That’s it. You try one, and if that doesn’t work out, you vote it out, and you try again a different way. That’s a process. But we’ve made it into ‘good and bad.’ We made it into a moral issue, and it’s loving idiotic, and incredibly dangerous … I personally [blame] some of this on social media. There is a an interaction that exists human-to-human that floats away when it reaches a public forum.”

"Why can't we all just get along?"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cage posted:

You were right, it did and they did. This is a sequel to that movie!

Well, poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm hoping Civil War continues Garland's uninterrupted trajectory of getting worse with every movie he directs because I really want to see how this manages to be somehow worse than Men.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Usually whenever someone tries to balkanize a country in their alt-history fanfiction or whatever, they only succeed in outing themselves as laughably ignorant about real politics/culture. See also that map Putin or one of his cronies put out recently that was just a list of historical U.S. land purchases.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Per a quote from last month:

"Why can't we all just get along?"

Does Garland think the government is just the post office and the DMV?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

That map makes me wonder how much of a poo poo I as a European am supposed to give about anything happening in Civil War. It seems to be a dumb movie intended as Commentary on... something that not even Americans are clear about, why the gently caress should I care?

Early reviewers are pretty clear that the movie is not trying to offer political commentary of the kind that justifies that map. You're probably supposed to take that map about as seriously as an electoral map that appears in the background of a West Wing or Veep shot. The movie's not about that, as far as I can tell it's about "it's really loving scary to be a random person going about their business in a country undergoing civil where the fault lines aren't purely geographic and everyone might be heavily armed"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

Early reviewers are pretty clear that the movie is not trying to offer political commentary of the kind that justifies that map. You're probably supposed to take that map about as seriously as an electoral map that appears in the background of a West Wing or Veep shot. The movie's not about that, as far as I can tell it's about "it's really loving scary to be a random person going about their business in a country undergoing civil where the fault lines aren't purely geographic and everyone might be heavily armed"

feel like there are plenty of actual conflicts you could tell that story in but then you'd have to, y'know, have an opinion on something

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I would go so far as to say that as an outsider the differences between the Hutus and Tutsis may not be readily apparent, but if you are in the conflict you sure as gently caress know what they are.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I know I've mentioned this before, but to be fair to Garland, California is deeply chuddy. On the other hand, I'm not really sure how Texas and California could function together given that they're both gigantic and, for all intents and purposes, a thousand miles apart. It's like if France and Greece decided to unite against the rest of Europe. I know it's all just supposed to be sort of fantastical but it's very like, "huh? How?"

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It would be better if they showed no map and Garland never said a thing about the conflict than doing whatever this is

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

feel like there are plenty of actual conflicts you could tell that story in but then you'd have to, y'know, have an opinion on something
Garland is a genius because Americans love theorycrafting about how their country would actually destroy itself. Free publicity :science:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I know I've mentioned this before, but to be fair to Garland, California is deeply chuddy. On the other hand, I'm not really sure how Texas and California could function together given that they're both gigantic and, for all intents and purposes, a thousand miles apart. It's like if France and Greece decided to unite against the rest of Europe. I know it's all just supposed to be sort of fantastical but it's very like, "huh? How?"

Given his braindead “both sides are equally bad” comment, I think it’s pretty safe to assume his thinking only went as far as “what if I paired the most stereotypically left-wing state with the most stereotypically right-wing state together against the US hmmmmm does that make you think?”

Except even that dumb take is muddied by making Offerman a quasi-Trump president according to the review.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Usually whenever someone tries to balkanize a country in their alt-history fanfiction or whatever, they only succeed in outing themselves as laughably ignorant about real politics/culture. See also that map Putin or one of his cronies put out recently that was just a list of historical U.S. land purchases.

I'm pretty sure that was a joke about how the balkanized maps of Russia and China are exactly that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Maybe LA and SF got nuked and OC took over. At that point, are Arizona and New Mexico really going to put up much of a fight?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arizona is basically Ground Zero for QAnon anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The dumb Rogan listener I know was rambling about it being a super lefty movie last time I saw him. So I don’t think a middle of the road approach is going to work.