Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thor 4 would get more of a pass from me if it wasn't for the screaming goats. If the movie was for toddlers I'd get it as a joke but since the rest of the movie is clearly not for that age group it seems more like contempt for the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Genuine question here, but is the backlash to JoJo Rabbit new? I enjoyed it well enough when I first saw it in theaters, and it was pretty highly rated. Hell, it even received a Best Picture nomination. This thread is honestly the first place I've ever seen it discussed as some sort of deeply problematic and awful thing.

People have been angry about it on letterboxd for a while.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I love What We Do In The Shadows so much.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Alehkhs posted:

French neo-noir animated film Mars Express is getting a stateside theatrical release with English dubs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR_S9BOQplc

Maybe this is a bit harsh but everything in this trailer makes it seem like a pretty rote take on Blade Runner or I, Robot, or [insert movie about artificial intelligence]. Except the thumbnail, which only shows up in the trailer for a few frames with no context.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Genuine question here, but is the backlash to JoJo Rabbit new? I enjoyed it well enough when I first saw it in theaters, and it was pretty highly rated. Hell, it even received a Best Picture nomination. This thread is honestly the first place I've ever seen it discussed as some sort of deeply problematic and awful thing.

Not really, there was definitely criticism when it came out. I would say it’s less “deeply problematic” and more “kind of stupid and insipid” though. I’d say it’s generally viewed positively overall for the people who remember it, but plenty of awful movies have been nominated for or won Best Picture, so that doesn’t mean very much.

I think a lot of the Taika backlash is because he is getting a lot more attention as a celebrity but his movies have been getting worse at the same time. I think Ragnarok was the tipping point of the quality vs quantity balance, it’s been downhill since then. I know he produced Reservation Dogs, but I don’t believe he was involved in that creatively, so I’m not giving him credit for that.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

wizardofloneliness posted:

I think a lot of the Taika backlash is because he is getting a lot more attention as a celebrity but his movies have been getting worse at the same time. I think Ragnarok was the tipping point of the quality vs quantity balance, it’s been downhill since then. I know he produced Reservation Dogs, but I don’t believe he was involved in that creatively, so I’m not giving him credit for that.

He co-wrote the pilot, then took a step back so Harjo could take the lead. Even if that's an exaggeration of how it went down, he still used his clout to help get the show made.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

koolkal posted:

Maybe this is a bit harsh but everything in this trailer makes it seem like a pretty rote take on Blade Runner or I, Robot, or [insert movie about artificial intelligence]. Except the thumbnail, which only shows up in the trailer for a few frames with no context.

Agreed, but it's getting pretty rave reviews so I'm excited. Between this, Pluto, and Metal Rouge, I'm spoiled for melancholy grown-up cyberpunk lately.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Slotducks posted:

It's important to stress how bad Thor 4 was.

I liked it. Not as good as Ragnarok but it was a fun action comedy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I didn't even like ragnarok

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Thor 4 would get more of a pass from me if it wasn't for the screaming goats. If the movie was for toddlers I'd get it as a joke but since the rest of the movie is clearly not for that age group it seems more like contempt for the audience.

I haven't seen Thor 4 but if they are Thor's goats that is just like a mythological thing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I saw the one with Jeff Goldblum whichever one that was and laughed a lot

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiimo posted:

I saw the one with Jeff Goldblum whichever one that was and laughed a lot

That was Ragnarok.

The thing with these movies is that they're not good enough for you to try to argue their quality if someone doesn't like them. It's like a Rocky sequel. This one had a robot! And it was cool!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Ragnarok is one of the better executed of the MCU formula films, but while that's enough to elevate it above The Avengers, its gonna seem less impressive when viewed in the wake of 15 other films attempting the same bit.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I enjoyed Love and Thunder and thought the goats were funny.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ragnarok's one of my favorite movies, though I admit I'm biased towards Thor 1-3(+his parts of Infinity War) just because they've got the mythology base. Yeah, it's filtered through comic books/cinematic universe/disney/cgi/etc and isn't direct adaptations of the myths, but when even the best Greek myth-based movies still do the "oh no theseus didn't really fight a minotaur it was just a big dude with a cow helmet"...

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lobok posted:

the big final fight scene of the movie is literally a crowd of toddlers awkwardly swinging prop weapons at cgi monsters that explode. the whole movie is for children

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

scary ghost dog posted:

the big final fight scene of the movie is literally a crowd of toddlers awkwardly swinging prop weapons at cgi monsters that explode. the whole movie is for children

I have bad news for you about comic books

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I find it hard to blame Waititi too much for Love And Thunder because the whole MCU machine has just become so absolutely broken by that point. The kids rising up and fighting at the end, it's straight up weird cynical Disney bullshit, and a lot of the comedy feels weird -- like it's there and it's prominent because it focus tested well, since that's how these things get made, but it's absolutely miserable to watch. I sort of wonder what the original version was like, given the incomprehensible nature of the film's deleted scenes. It seems to suggest that it was originally a very different story.

I'm interested to see what he does next after two big flops tho. Not excited, but I'm sort of interested in seeing whether he recovers after a rough patch or if this is the new status quo for him.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

BonoMan posted:

I enjoyed Love and Thunder and thought the goats were funny.

Yes, I guess I am dummy with unsophisticated humor. Even though a lot of jokes in Love & Thunder didn't land for me, I was repeatedly amused by the goats.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

I haven't seen Thor 4 but if they are Thor's goats that is just like a mythological thing.

The goats I know of. I meant the screaming part.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

e: this is not the playstation thread

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Love And Thunder's primary offence was it's initial announcement with the pronouncement of Valkyrie being a king of Asgard in search of a queen, something it never followed through on

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

to contribute: thor 4 is absolutely one of the worst movies i've ever watched in my whole life and i've seen a decent amount and a lot of junk

and i actually really liked ragnarok

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

e: this is not the playstation thread

In this subforum that's the Horror thread.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6NibtjmjOk&t=6s

Guess who's back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGDk1Pekn-A&t=10s

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

As much as I love Jon Benjamin, I'm finding his voiceover distracting here because I find it impossible not to think about the fact it's Jon Benjamin. With Bob and Archer, he's such a part of those characters, it's hard to separate them. I think I find it hard to look at Bill Skarsgard and think his inner monologue would sound like Jon Benjamin.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

boy kills world feels like it could be halfway decent fun the way nobody with bob odenkirk was silly fun

but with the voiceover gimmick it feels like it's going to be the most annoying movie ever made

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

Love And Thunder's primary offence was it's initial announcement with the pronouncement of Valkyrie being a king of Asgard in search of a queen, something it never followed through on

It’s an ongoing thing with Valkyrie, where on the one hand, Disney is desperate to emphasise the character’s queerness, but they don’t have the fortitude to follow up. Other examples are: the deleted scene of the woman leaving her apartment in Ragnarok after clearly being banged by her, or a deleted scene in The Marvels where it’s confirmed she successfully pulled Captain Marvel.

Like, if Valkyrie is going to go around kissing pretty girls across the universe, commit to it, Jesus.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Can I post tiktok trailers here?
https://twitter.com/i/status/1773143754024632567

Amy Winehouse had a very peculiar singing voice that I'm sure is very hard to replicate, but this sounds like career suicide.

EDIT: also I liked Jojo Rabbit.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 3, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

ShoogaSlim posted:

boy kills world feels like it could be halfway decent fun the way nobody with bob odenkirk was silly fun

but with the voiceover gimmick it feels like it's going to be the most annoying movie ever made

It's had some disastrous test screenings. Apparently it's awful.

I can't remember who it was that has seen it on the forum's but one goon has and he had nothing good to say.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

biopics gotta slow down for a while - we're nearing marvel levels of oversaturation

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The action in that movie looks okay but yeah, while I love h Jon Benjamin (Home Movies forever) the concept does seem like obnoxious poo poo. Like just having some dork next to you quipping during the movie.
I can't tell if that's because the writing is terrible or the concept is just inherently terrible.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
An absurd amount of violence can only go so far, there needs to be a decent narrative hook too.

Unless it’s the Raid 2.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Eddie Marsan looking like a slightly puffy Martin Scorsese in that Winehouse movie

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

ShoogaSlim posted:

Honestly I probably wouldn't have absolutely loathed Silent Night if H Jon Benjamin was commenting on poo poo throughout the movie.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

B-Rock452 posted:

Honestly I probably wouldn't have absolutely loathed Silent Night if H Jon Benjamin was commenting on poo poo throughout the movie.

this is a very hard sentence to read. what are you actually saying lol

e: i reread it and i'm unfamiliar with the movie you mentioned. so i guess you're saying you would have enjoyed silent night if it did have narration by the bobs burgers guy. weird but to each their own. i don't think having narration help one movie not suck means it would be better if all movies had it.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 3, 2024

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

ShoogaSlim posted:

this is a very hard sentence to read. what are you actually saying lol

e: i reread it and i'm unfamiliar with the movie you mentioned. so i guess you're saying you would have enjoyed silent night if it did have narration by the bobs burgers guy. weird but to each their own. i don't think having narration help one movie not suck means it would be better if all movies had it.

It was a John Woo movie that was just released and it had no dialogue cause the main character was shot in the throat and can't talk. It sucked so hard

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Movie sucked hard but had difficulty swallowing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Slotducks posted:

biopics gotta slow down for a while - we're nearing marvel levels of oversaturation

there are so many more coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kiimo posted:

there are so many more coming
:psyduck:

Do studios not understand how lame most of them are?