Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kitty Pryde I think was one of the most successful 'youth POV characters' in comics. When she got added, she helped the X-Men book get back towards its original idea of taking in and training the youth, and she spent a long time growing and maturing with the team. I think that also led to a lot of writers in the 2000s kinda getting waifu-y about her as they got the opportunity to write stories about the character they grew up reading, but it meant that she was one of the most recurring X-Men characters ever.

Jubilee had a bit more messy of a time. She was introduced at a confusing time for the X-Men when a lot of their ongoing storylines had kinda been cut off, the team was in a very uncertain place, and the book even had a tendency of jumping its perspective around so you didn't really have any guarantee that you'll find out what happens to the characters of one issue in the next. The team had no pretense of returning to their roots as a school for her sake either. She was also introduced towards the end of Chris Claremont's long run on X-Men, and it's a lot harder to read X-Men in the 90s just from the booksplitting making things more confusing. She hadn't been around long when she got put into the cartoon. Eventually she got shunted off the 'main' team and put onto the new 'kids' team Generation X (a fate that Kitty had avoided with the New Mutants).

For a lot of her teen years she was sort of a replacement for Kitty, and as an adult there were less writers who liked her when they were kids, so she got bounced around a lot of weird places. It was kinda neat that time she was a vampire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

In the Ultimate Universe.

She has dated many a person called Peter.

2 is a coincidence, 3 is a pattern...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TwoPair posted:

2 is a coincidence, 3 is a pattern...

Three definite Petes in the 616 and another in the 1610 so yeah it's a pattern.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just another barely disguised claremont fetish

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am pretty sure Clairmont was pretty vocally on the side of "Kitty likes the ladies"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Three definite Petes in the 616 and another in the 1610 so yeah it's a pattern.

Who was the third in 616? I know Colossus and Quill

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Who was the third in 616? I know Colossus and Quill

Pete Wisdom

But yeah, the point is that Jubilee didn't have the success that Kitty did as the young POV character and they still haven't really found a role for her. So the cartoon can pretty much do whatever they want with her and it'll probably be what people think of when they think of Jubilee.

Better than thinking about that time in the comics where she was standing over Skin's grave saying she wished she hosed him.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 2, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

Pete Wisdom

But yeah, the point is that Jubilee didn't have the success that Kitty did as the young POV character and they still haven't really found a role for her. So the cartoon can pretty much do whatever they want with her and it'll probably be what people think of when they think of Jubilee.

Better than thinking about that time in the comics where she was standing over Skin's grave saying she wished she hosed him.

Can't believe I forgot about Pete Wisdom. That run of Excalibur is pretty good as long as you believe Warren Ellis when he says he didn't know how young Kitty was supposed to be at the time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

And as we've all come to know, Warren Ellis is a very trustworthy man when it comes to women and sex, I'm sure there's nothing to read into his self-insert taking a teenager's virginity

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Air Skwirl posted:

Can't believe I forgot about Pete Wisdom. That run of Excalibur is pretty good as long as you believe Warren Ellis when he says he didn't know how young Kitty was supposed to be at the time.

He had her age noted somewhere in a document but unfortunately the hard drive crashed.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Talking of Jubilee stories:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxjYt6nlapQ

Seem's like a bit of a marketing fail not to put this out a day early and pretend there's a new game based on the old arcade game like Shredder's Revenge. And then to actually put that game out ideally by the team that did Shredder's Revenge.

Looks like Mojoworld stuff?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Her character had been around for 16 years realtime at the point (on top of being originally introduced as a teen) and I think had even started her college degree at the time, as well as living on her own far away from her parents like an adult.

Still creepy to have a self-insert do it, but not for age reasons.

ImpAtom posted:

I am pretty sure Clairmont was pretty vocally on the side of "Kitty likes the ladies"

Nah, he wanted to pair her off with Colossus and got really angry when Secret Wars happened and Colossus fell in love with some random alien girl.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

just another barely disguised claremont fetish
Kind of feel it was almost more of a Bendis thing, since the latter two were all his idea.

Plus the love interest she had right before he took over writing her in the 616 was Iceman, and well...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Seem's like a bit of a marketing fail not to put this out a day early and pretend there's a new game based on the old arcade game like Shredder's Revenge.

No, I'm glad this didn't join the annual parade of brands going "wouldn't it be hilarious if we gave you something that's totally awesome? lol, anyway!"

But yes, I'm totally down for a rad remake/sequel to the old 6-person X-Men arcade game.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nah, he wanted to pair her off with Colossus and got really angry when Secret Wars happened and Colossus fell in love with some random alien girl.

I do wonder if John Byrne as Claremont's artist was a factor at all in the Kitty-Colossus relationship, considering how Heather Hudson in Byrne's Alpha Flight was specifically stated to be 17 years old when she pressured the 30+ year old Mac into marrying her.

EDIT:
And Sue in Byrne's FF fell in love with the older Reed when she was a young girl.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 2, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I can believe any writer's stories about forgetting character ages. Especially on the X-Men since the younger kids don't have to do that "going to school" stuff like Spider-Man or Ms. Marvel have to do. I mean, they live in a school but let's be real, Xavier's is hardly the same thing.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 2, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RE: Kitty Pryde in Excalibur, in real time she hadn't been in any sort of school for like a decade at least by the time she met Pete Wisdom, I can absolutely think Ellis thought she was in her early-mid twenties.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"I thought you lived at a school."

"Wait-- We do what now?"

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

RE: Kitty Pryde in Excalibur, in real time she hadn't been in any sort of school for like a decade at least by the time she met Pete Wisdom, I can absolutely think Ellis thought she was in her early-mid twenties.

Close, but there was the time Kitty was sent to a boarding school for a couple of issues in 1990 in Claremont's final story for the series. Which seemed like an excuse to draw high school girls fighting and having cheerleading contests.
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Girls%27_School_from_Heck

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind, already posted

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 2, 2024

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

Talking of Jubilee stories:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxjYt6nlapQ

Seem's like a bit of a marketing fail not to put this out a day early and pretend there's a new game based on the old arcade game like Shredder's Revenge. And then to actually put that game out ideally by the team that did Shredder's Revenge.

That looks so good

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Shredder's Revenge was so drat good. I'd love a modern update to the X-Men arcade game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Suleman posted:

Close, but there was the time Kitty was sent to a boarding school for a couple of issues in 1990 in Claremont's final story for the series. Which seemed like an excuse to draw high school girls fighting and having cheerleading contests.
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Girls%27_School_from_Heck

American football was also an oddly big part of Claremont's Big Hero 6 miniseries.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

Shredder's Revenge was so drat good. I'd love a modern update to the X-Men arcade game.

There's a GI Joe game coming that's basically a reskin

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

I wonder if she’ll need someone outside of the game to press the reset button on the machine after she defeats Mojo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Better Mojo than Arcade.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Open Marriage Night posted:

Welcome to re-try!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Did... did the show just imply that Jubilee and Roberto boned?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

nowadays, after i see a show's intro, I skip it on future episodes.

been letting the intro run every episode for '97

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/capitalspidey/status/1775878595300176198

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, is that how Invincible handled the crossover episode?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Suleman posted:

I do wonder if John Byrne as Claremont's artist was a factor at all in the Kitty-Colossus relationship, considering how Heather Hudson in Byrne's Alpha Flight was specifically stated to be 17 years old when she pressured the 30+ year old Mac into marrying her.

EDIT:
And Sue in Byrne's FF fell in love with the older Reed when she was a young girl.

And Mattie Franklin was clearly written as interested in a (newly-widowed) Peter Parker. Wasn't there also an age gap romance in The Lost Generation, too?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, is that how Invincible handled the crossover episode?

Yeah, with vague Spider-Verse allusions too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah, with vague Spider-Verse allusions too.

That's cute.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

That's cute.

They also do this one-panel gag directly

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I get it's a gag, but why does Mark get on Spider-Man and Batman, but not the immortal guy named Immortal? Or the robotics guy named Robot? Or the guy named Rex with explosion powers who calls himself Rex-plode?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Mark also used a Fortnite Sniper Rifle to bludgeon the villain.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Mr Hootington posted:

Mark also used a Fortnite Sniper Rifle to bludgeon the villain.

Thank you, I knew it was a reference to something but not what.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I get it's a gag, but why does Mark get on Spider-Man and Batman, but not the immortal guy named Immortal? Or the robotics guy named Robot? Or the guy named Rex with explosion powers who calls himself Rex-plode?

I mean, it's meant to be ironic to a degree because his own nom de guerre ain't exactly rocket science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blueberry Pancakes posted: