Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I don't know, I found Big Booty World XXII just as riveting as the first installment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:cripes:

I really didn't like Resurrections, though, so maybe I'll like this one more? Drew Goddard directed Cabin in the Woods, and I liked that one. He also wrote Cloverfield. Maybe this could be alright?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

GreenNight posted:

The movies will end once Keanu is Harrison Ford's age.

"Now, do you take the red pill or the blue pill?"

"Well, let me just look at my dispenser. I take the red pill 3 times a day, the blue pill an hour before bed, the white small round pill right when I get up, the white oval pill at lunchtime..."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of Harrison Ford, Disney took a bath of like $130m on Dial of Destiny so that poo poo should be over for good

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Alternately, they can use CGI to stand in for Keanu after he passes. Even make him look like he did when younger.

Then Matrix movies will be made until the last fan dies out, and there are no replacement fans because the world is becoming more like the Mateix every year and the series seems super boring

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

I think the only response to this is that scene from Resurrections...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOHJAPJy2CU posted:

Smith: ...but look at this place. We did this, together.
Neo: Yeah.
Smith: Now what? Things have changed. The market's tough. I'm sure you can understand why our beloved parent company, Warner Brothers, has decided to make a sequel to the trilogy.
Neo: What?
Smith: They informed me they're gonna to do it with or without us.
Neo: I thought they couldn't do that?
Smith: Oh, they can, and they made it clear they would kill our contract if we didn't cooperate.
Neo: No?
Smith: I know you said the story was over for you, but that's the thing about stories... they never really end do they? We're still telling the same stories we've always told, just with different names... faces... and... I have to say I'm kind of excited. After all these years, to be going back to where it all started. Back to The Matrix! I've spoken to marketing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rageaholic posted:

:cripes:

I really didn't like Resurrections, though, so maybe I'll like this one more? Drew Goddard directed Cabin in the Woods, and I liked that one. He also wrote Cloverfield. Maybe this could be alright?

I know he's written more, but Drew Goddard only has directed two movies, Cabin in the Woods and Bad Times at El Royale. I love Cabin, but I've never bothered seeing the other. I've heard it's terrible.

Sure, why not let his third directing job being Matrix loving 5.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Oh one more thing about age.

I am pretty sure James Bond aged 2x as fast in the series as Daniel Craig did in real life.

2006 he's just become a 007 and is a daring rookie that's hard to control

Not a full 10 years pass and they not only show but outright tell he's a tired veteran close to retirenment, puzzled at some of the new technology and the kids these days

I guessing double-0-ing agent you faster than being POTUS

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Drew Goddard has a lot more hits on his resume than Lana or Lily Wachowski, so maybe he can save the franchise

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I mean I also trusted James Manigold.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oasx posted:

Drew Goddard has a lot more hits on his resume than Lana or Lily Wachowski, so maybe he can save the franchise

As a writer, sure. The Martian is one of my favorite movies (it helps having the book as source material). As a director, from what I understand, he's 1 for 2.

edit: Oh, didn't he also write World War Z?

Early in his career, he did write some of the only good episodes of the 4th and 5th seasons of Alias.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 3, 2024

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

UnquietDream posted:

Some suit at WB is absolutely obsessed with putting in a bunch of meta references to WB in their movies, like they think they they can camouflage their lovely meddling with self-deprecating jokes that just so happen to mention the brand name.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thrawn527 posted:

As a writer, sure. The Martian is one of my favorite movies (it helps having the book as source material). As a director, from what I understand, he's 1 for 2.

Honestly, so are The Matrix movies, so good luck to him. Cabin in the Woods was really good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chairman Capone posted:

Resident Alien is a show that I could have sworn has been on since like 2016. I have no idea why but it just always shocks me that its third season only just started. I must be getting it confused with one of those other comics-based Syfy shows from the mid-10s.

There was a similar Wyatt Cenac show People of Earth that showed up around that time and I think I had the two merged in my head as one show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I demand to know how many takes this took and how much was improv for the 'kissing' (I'm going to guess most of it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-MfrVGW168

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 3, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

There was a similar Wyatt Cenac show People of Earth that showed up around that time and I think I had the two merged in my head as one show.

People of Earth is maybe five years older, but they have a lot of the same actors so I can see why you'd connect the two.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

thrawn527 posted:

That’s still a whole lot better than The Wachowskis in my opinion, I don’t think any of their directing beyond the first Matrix was all that good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, I think they got too obsessed with gimmicks. Sometimes it works, Speed Racer, sometimes it doesn't, also Speed Racer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I only ever thought the first Matrix movie was worth a poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Matrix 3 is the only bad one tbh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

UnquietDream posted:

This is why I loved that movie and also don't need to rewatch it and am definitely not gonna pay to see the next one if I see it at all. They told the important story best, in one go, the first time. Matrix was a perfect storm artifact of its time and it's all diminishing returns from there and at least 4 was a "ya gotta move on" good cap off to the whole deal. If someone were to make an appropriate matrix for our times it would not be called the Matrix.

On the funny dark side it's funny the capitalist machine has made the Matrix into a renewable product to retell with random folks whenever they wanna mine old IP.

And hey who knows what zoomers see of media that isn't on social media apps, if an unnecessary sequel gets the same old story to a new audience, that's not a bad thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Khanstant posted:

This is why I loved that movie and also don't need to rewatch it and am definitely not gonna pay to see the next one if I see it at all. They told the important story best, in one go, the first time. Matrix was a perfect storm artifact of its time and it's all diminishing returns from there and at least 4 was a "ya gotta move on" good cap off to the whole deal. If someone were to make an appropriate matrix for our times it would not be called the Matrix.

On the funny dark side it's funny the capitalist machine has made the Matrix into a renewable product to retell with random folks whenever they wanna mine old IP.

And hey who knows what zoomers see of media that isn't on social media apps, if an unnecessary sequel gets the same old story to a new audience, that's not a bad thing.

The only way that I was going to be cool with how dumb Reloaded and Revolutions got was it if it turned out that the "real world" they were in was actually a second layer of the Matrix that the machines set up to allow the "resistance" to think they'd gotten one over. Otherwise him having magical powers against the machines in the "real world" was really, really, really dumb.

I went into Ressurections hoping they learned their lesson and were going to go that route...but nope.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I had a lot of fun with second wave Wachowski's -- Speed Racer, Jupiter Ascending and Cloud Atlas. They're a good time.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Open Source Idiom posted:

I had a lot of fun with second wave Wachowski's -- Speed Racer, Jupiter Ascending and Cloud Atlas. They're a good time.

never saw speed racer but the other two were fun imho

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Medullah posted:

The only way that I was going to be cool with how dumb Reloaded and Revolutions got was it if it turned out that the "real world" they were in was actually a second layer of the Matrix that the machines set up to allow the "resistance" to think they'd gotten one over. Otherwise him having magical powers against the machines in the "real world" was really, really, really dumb.

I went into Ressurections hoping they learned their lesson and were going to go that route...but nope.

I don't see why this still can't be true. After all, a properly functioning Matrix could be such to never afford its occupants to be awakened, with inner layers of simulation allowing all the Matrix breaking out fantasy simulations.

Gotta ask though what does "turtles all the way down" mean or add to the story besides an extraneous explanation for the superficial level of action and technology used to tell the story.

Presumably Matrix 5 will primarily be fiddling with its own toys, fill in good gaps with garbage, but garbage that might go around answering all the literalist Bible interpreters still hung up on people being batteries and the energy demands of complicated simulation.

Look forward to meeting new hacker characters like White Rabbit, Dodge Bullet, and Red Dress, who lead us through shocking twists like Morpheus is an Agent Smith all along.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Luvcow posted:

never saw speed racer but the other two were fun imho

Yeah, my favourite of the three is Jupiter Ascending. Just completely awesome, an Edgar Wright Burrows pastiche with tonnes of camp and and a great villain performance from Eddie Redmayne. Terry Gilliam cameos in a Brazil world sequence. There's the wedding sequence... I can totally see why others would hate it, but I had a blast.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I absolutely hated Jupiter Ascending but I also haven’t seen it since it was in theaters. Might be due a rewatch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bound loving rules, I love that movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Speaking of Harrison Ford, Disney took a bath of like $130m on Dial of Destiny so that poo poo should be over for good

It already was; everyone involved said it was absolutely the last Indiana Jones movie.

Of course, 20 years after Ford carks it and Kennedy is retired, they'll go back to the well, because time is a flat circle.

GreenNight posted:

I mean I also trusted James Manigold.

I don't think Mangold was the issue with Dial of Destiny, which I generally enjoyed outside of the tuk-tuk chase taking motherfucking forever and never loving ending. The real problem was that Jez and John-Henry Butterworth, who wrote the bulk of the script, are goddamn terrible writers.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I demand to know how many takes this took and how much was improv for the 'kissing' (I'm going to guess most of it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-MfrVGW168

Kissing should not be improv-ed and intimacy coordinators are a good, important thing.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I don't know if intimacy coordinators choreograph the scene.

They also apparently struggled to gain acceptance. Actors and actresses found it odd to suddenly make a big deal of kissing someone for an audience when they've been doing that since plays at school. And the name didn't help. But apparently most actors are now super glad they're there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
More than once I've overheard my roommates talking about Vanderpumps or something, but not realizing it for a while because they refer to everyone by their actual first names and are describing what sounds like weird drama between my roommates and their friends. Usually some impossible rich people detail tips me off it's got nothing to do with anyone I know.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

It already was; everyone involved said it was absolutely the last Indiana Jones movie.

Of course, 20 years after Ford carks it and Kennedy is retired, they'll go back to the well, because time is a flat circle.

I don't think Mangold was the issue with Dial of Destiny, which I generally enjoyed outside of the tuk-tuk chase taking motherfucking forever and never loving ending. The real problem was that Jez and John-Henry Butterworth, who wrote the bulk of the script, are goddamn terrible writers.

I enjoyed DoD, but it really lacked the “punch” (pun not intended) of the originals and even Crystal Skull. I can’t really articulate it eloquently, but it just felt like a modern Indiana Jones movie. It didn’t feel like an homage to or pastiche of the same 30s/40s adventure serials and movies that the originals were, particularly Raiders. It was just a perfectly average Indiana Jones adventure, nothing more.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I loved the weird meta stuff of Matrix 4 but thought it went completely downhill once it became a "Matrix" movie. I also wasn't really a fan of the half and half recasting/keeping actors.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can’t really articulate it eloquently, but it just felt like a modern Indiana Jones movie.

Yes, it's absolutely this. It looked like a movie from the 2020s. A modern comic book movie, because that's the only type of "adventure" movie that gets made anymore. Cameras moving through vehicles and turning around, dropping through buildings etc. It was a huge coup when Last Crusade did the disappearing trick in the train scene in one shot in 1989. And that's a relatively static camera! Now doing poo poo like that is trivial and boring.

Dial of Destiny is an Avengers movie that happens to have Indiana Jones in it.

I know people love to compare especially Raiders to the older serials, but in terms of cinematography and visuals, it's basically Ben Hur, a film that's chronologically between it and those pulp serials. Wider, slower, more thoughtful shots than movies are now, and especially post 2010ish. Very little of that blink and you'll miss it action. The art of acting changed completely between 1959 and 1981, but that's not the issue here.

The next two movies updated the look a bit, but Spielberg was still Spielberg. The mine car chase in Temple comes closest to the Moroccan chase scene, but it's absolutely relaxing in comparison.

They should have just gotten someone much older to direct it, and someone else to write it, and probably an executive to shitcan the project the moment it came across his desk.

I did like the cgi 1944 Ford, though, even though he looked younger than in Last Crusade. They should just use that tech to keep making movies set in the 30s and 40s (written by competent people) once Ford is too old to protest

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

muscles like this! posted:

I loved the weird meta stuff of Matrix 4 but thought it went completely downhill once it became a "Matrix" movie. I also wasn't really a fan of the half and half recasting/keeping actors.

The action was also really dull

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

The action was also really dull

Yeah, that was probably the movie's greatest sin.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hard agree that Dial of Destiny just didn't have the kind of zing to it that even Crystal Skull had. I'm not afraid to say that Crystal Skull is a better movie than Dial of Destiny, too - Skull at least has a very solid first hour, and even after they go to South America there are still some good setpieces.

I would even say that Young Indiana Jones, despite not feeling like a 30s movie serial either, still has something to it that makes it feel Indy-ish that Dial doesn't. The guy who plays young Sean Connery also totally nails it.

I recently rewatched Sky Captain for the first time since seeing it in theaters, and even though the CGI has aged absolutely terribly (it looks on the level of a c. 2007 Syfy Channel Original Movie) it still nails the tone and design feel of that kind of serial homage.

Timby posted:

There was supposed to be a continuation series on Disney+ but it got scrapped even before the movie came out, probably because they could see the writing on the wall.

It is kind of funny that between Dial of Destiny and Solo, Harrison Ford characters have been behind the biggest Disney flops of the last decade. Was Han Solo a character in the Disney hotel too?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No, it was set after The Force Awakens so he was already dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It was an Indiana Jones movie with Indiana Jones mostly sitting off to the side watching things happen. Movie's weird man