Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm surprised we haven't seen more companies cash in on the resurrection of the beat-em-up. Streets of Rage 4 and Shredder's Revenge both made good money so the audience is there. Just because Konami's not making games anymore doesn't mean there's not other talented studios you could give a fairly small stack of cash to and get a decent ROI.

Make a game, just call it X-Men '97, give it a digital-only release and sell it for $30. People would be all over it.

Tbh I’m shocked Marvel didn’t have a studio doing this, timing beat em up releases with movie releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Zoobtro posted:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1775238014945694016

Shirley they could make a little game to go along with this and make some good money on the side please

edit nvm, sony hold the rights

Kinda feel like this is teeing up an appearance from Mojo, but if not still really cool as it's own one off thing.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I mean the episode is called Motendo/Lifedeath Part 1.

ALSO THEY GOT THAT MANGO SENTINEL

SCOOPS

SCOOPS

HAAGEN DAZS!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

Kinda feel like this is teeing up an appearance from Mojo, but if not still really cool as it's own one off thing.

or literally Arcade.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Mooseontheloose posted:

or literally Arcade.

Has Mojo and Arcade ever teamed up? It seems like something that would have happened.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lammasu posted:

Has Mojo and Arcade ever teamed up? It seems like something that would have happened.

Only in a very weird, very roundabout way in the Ultimate X-Men comics like twenty years ago.

And I guess Mojo made a robot called Funhouse that was basically Arcade with a different name in the X-Babies comic like 30 years ago.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Timby posted:

Only in a very weird, very roundabout way in the Ultimate X-Men comics like twenty years ago.

And I guess Mojo made a robot called Funhouse that was basically Arcade with a different name in the X-Babies comic like 30 years ago.

I don't think that counts because while there is an "Ultimate Mojo", there is really only 1 Mojo the multiverse. So really, Ultimate Mojo doesn't count. (Because Vaughan didn't understand there is supposed to only be one Mojo when he decided to create Ultimate Mojo.) Comics featuring Mojo written by authors who pay better attention to continuity note this when necessary.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Episode ruled

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I'm kind of surprised by the pacing, but I'm guessing they were a bit weary to do a whole episode that was just the second half. Animation on the first half ruled though, but it feels like you can praise something about the animation in every episode so far.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Jubilee's episode should have been a short / addendum/ special and Lifedeath needed more room to breathe. Too much crammed in same as the last episode.

Otherwise AWESOME fun and I like where they are going with Jubes and Roberto. Cute and fun couple. Plus lots of Easter eggs in the background (like the pixelated dead/gone poster from Days of Future Past.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
God that episode was loving awesome. Loved the nostalgia of the 90s-style video game especially the 8 bit soundtrack, the voice actor for Mojo was absolutely loving amazing like seriously god drat, and outside of the video game shenanigans I love Magneto's dynamic with the rest of the X-Men. Sending Gambit back like a cuck after making Rogue coffee using his powers, then straight-lining my parents perished when I was a boy when Morph gave him poo poo :lol:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Sloth Life posted:

Jubilee's episode should have been a short / addendum/ special and Lifedeath needed more room to breathe. Too much crammed in same as the last episode.

Otherwise AWESOME fun and I like where they are going with Jubes and Roberto. Cute and fun couple. Plus lots of Easter eggs in the background (like the pixelated dead/gone poster from Days of Future Past.

They could have fleshed out the video game episode if more of the team were sucked into the game. The old people who don't know video games would have needed Jubilee's help since she knows her poo poo when it comes to games.

It was kinda weird to have two half-stories that both needed some more meat on the bones.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Magneto meeting his old self would have been amusing if a bit too on the nose. Or Gambit taking great joy in blowing him up ahahaha

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So was the villain at the end Shadow King?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Infinitum posted:

Episode ruled

As soon as I saw that I was "Wait a second".

Then it got trashed and I was sure.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
smh can't believe magneto didn't say WELCOME TO DIE

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I love this show

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lamont posted:

yeah they hosed up

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Can anyone explain the significance of the car?

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Sloth Life posted:

Beating the poo poo out of a car was a bonus stage in Street Fighter 2

edit: did it come from Final Fight originally?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Sloth Life posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPP6VU6zVHU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The opening credits have been changing up every week. This week, the new clips I spotted were of Mojo, Forge, and Xavier+Hellfire club.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

notthegoatseguy posted:

So was the villain at the end Shadow King?

The Adversary is a canonical Claremont-era X-Men villain, though afaik he normally looks more like a Native American human than the owl-creature here

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Pinterest Mom posted:

The opening credits have been changing up every week. This week, the new clips I spotted were of Mojo, Forge, and Xavier+Hellfire club.

I was wondering if I was going crazy or just noticing new stuff every week. They've nailed all the characters so well thus far I can't wait to see what they do with Emma Frost.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

lol, Mojo's lines are great

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

huh? using the Jubilee part only being 2/3s of the episode and starting the next story after was an interesting move.

would have like magneto to chill out at the end and bring in a cake

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GateOfD posted:

huh? using the Jubilee part only being 2/3s of the episode and starting the next story after was an interesting move.

Just have a 15min ep and a 35min ep if you're going to do split stories.

It's all digital anyway, yall don't need to do 25min episodes for syndication

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Infinitum posted:

Just have a 15min ep and a 35min ep if you're going to do split stories.

It's all digital anyway, yall don't need to do 25min episodes for syndication

A) Nostalgia says they should be about the same length as the old show. B) This way it can end on a cliffhanger and be a two parter.

Not saying I love the choice, but I get it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

One rumored plotline about Punisher is about him going after cops who put his emblem on their cars. Not sure how big a part to his appearance that plot point might be, if real. But it's a great thing for Marvel to acknowledge and take on. I know they've done that in the comics already.

Linked to hide potential spoiler image, but this tweeted image would potentially back that up.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

thrawn527 posted:

Linked to hide potential spoiler image, but this tweeted image would potentially back that up.

This could potentially be fun as gently caress

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol Jubilee imitating Magneto

Lamont posted:

:agreed:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Before I do my weird mythic imagery observation, I just gotta say this is some great poo poo. I'm 43, the X-Men cartoon was a big part of my child hood, and they are somehow just nailing it.

Wherein I babble about goddess and bird imagery:

A very old and sticky motif in mythology is the goddess and her consort, who is often a vegetative or agricultural 'year king'. Isis and Osiris, Cybele and Attis, so and so for. For our purposes, I'll be reductive and say that the general idea is that every year the consort dies and is resurrected by the goddess. Usually, this involves gathering and recombining the consorts dismembered body. I talked about this over in the Halo thread concerning John and Cortana The Storm/Forge dynamic is reversed because the goddess is the one who needs to be fixed by a consort who has already put himself back together. There's also layers of Hephaestus and Pygmalion in Forge, too. I don't want to comment too much on the Native American mythology aspects of forge because a) that's not my area of TurboNerd obsession and b) it's Native American mythology as Claremont understood it in the 90s.

Anyway, Storm, the flying storm goddess gets into a fight with a loving Owl Death Goddess. As esoteric expressions of the divine feminine and life/death cycle of regeneration go, it's definitely sledgehammer shaped. I really am beginning to believe that the writers' rooms at Disney are full of people who either took the same weird classes in college or are going to the same fruity writing seminars.

edit:that said, Storm being 'faked' out by the birds rustling the trees when she attempts to use her powers is now much ore ambiguous, considering the Adversary is a bird...and maybe Storm? Ok, I'm back in. The auspices are promising.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 3, 2024

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Forge being a great cook makes so much sense

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Froghammer posted:

Forge being a great cook makes so much sense

Also his powers are supposed to work intuitively, so he can't really easily write down how he makes things, so he's one of those frustrating chefs who just answers "So how much garlic did you use?" with "Enough".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This episode was great overall but Forge's explanation of his powers alluding to the "(normal) people only use part of their brain" junk science myth is GOD drat TERRIBLE

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

McSpanky posted:

This episode was great overall but Forge's explanation of his powers alluding to the "(normal) people only use part of their brain" junk science myth is GOD drat TERRIBLE

Something a person only using part of their brain would say.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

his mutant power makes that fake science myth real

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Forge uses parts of his brain that normal people don't... because normal people don't have them!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

is this the first time Jubliee has done something at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There was so much exposition in the Jubilee episode that there was actually a part where they cut away to her and Sunspot just listening to Mojo mouths agape.