Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

That Dang Dad posted:

Unfortunately, I bought a glitched version of the game that NEVER GIVES ME SMEARED ON A CHECKERED DECK WHEN I WANT IT raaaaaaahhh!!

wait why would you want smeared on a checkered deck, it basically starts smeared.

e: I guess double dipping on spade/club or heart/diamond based jokers but that still doesn't really seem worth the joker slot.

PoundSand fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Makes it easier to activate Ancient Joker which, in my experience, always picks the suit I have the least of.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
A joker that lets you reroll those types of jokers would be interesting.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

A lot of the interesting utility jokers don't feel like they're worth the slot over something that gives you points or money directly. Maybe if they took half a slo you could at least combo them in interesting ways and still have room for Number Go Up.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I want to twist the other direction and get a joker that treats Heart/Club and Spade/Diamond as the same suit.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Maybe I’m naive in thinking this, but glass should primarily be used for removing cards from your deck, not boosting scores

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Alright this may be the run

And that's all challenges, I just had to get an extremely cracked run.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 3, 2024

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

The Riddler joker has a different random effect every hand/round, as long as we're making poo poo up

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Sockser posted:

Maybe I’m naive in thinking this, but glass should primarily be used for removing cards from your deck, not boosting scores
It's both really, but 3 bucks to remove one card after you've played it 3 times is pretty mediocre.

Keeping a judgement in hand can be a notable boost to get barely over a tough boss blind too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally got Perkeo then got greedy and threw the whole run away having used it to get a billion empress and death cards, make a whole deck of multed queen of hearts with blue print and driver's license, then thought to myself "I could tank the heart debuff boss with this".

I couldn't do that and it wasn't close lmao

On the plus side I've seen all the legendaries now lol

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I was cruising like mad, beating rounds with one or two high cards and hit Round 31v and uhhhh... yeah that sure is some blinds scaling there

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I think I’ve found an exploit, in the PS4 version at least.

If you open a card pack in the store - let’s say an Arcana pack for example - once you pick a card from that pack, before the card-selection animation has finished, press the Options button and cut back to the main menu, and then choose to continue your game. It will bring you back to the “pick a card from this pack” selection screen, and allow you to potentially pick a different card.

What does this mean in practice? If you, for instance, buy an Arcana pack, choose a Wheel of Fortune card and get Noped, you can use this exploit (before the Nope! animation has ended) to revisit that Arcana pack and choose a different tarot card.

I’ve only tried this on PS4 but it has a 100% success rate. Has anyone else on any other platform encountered this exploit?

Deathslinger fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 3, 2024

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Be careful doing this on PC. Sometimes it works and sometimes you come back to an arcana/spectral screen where there are no options showing and the skip button doesn't work, soft locking the run.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I beat green stake with the checkered deck! It was a ridiculous setup I had towards the end, with 30-odd enhanced cards in the deck, a negative Golden Joker, Fortune Teller at 30-40, and then Blueprint, Driver's License, Cavendish Banana, and Card Sharp for three consecutive x3s on the first flush and four for each one afterwards.

And I still couldn't beat Ante 11! How are people getting these wild "e" numbers when even that setup was only getting me numbers in the 7-digits? I haven't been playing too long but I dunno what's gonna beat 4 x3 jokers.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Phenotype posted:

I beat green stake with the checkered deck! It was a ridiculous setup I had towards the end, with 30-odd enhanced cards in the deck, a negative Golden Joker, Fortune Teller at 30-40, and then Blueprint, Driver's License, Cavendish Banana, and Card Sharp for three consecutive x3s on the first flush and four for each one afterwards.

And I still couldn't beat Ante 11! How are people getting these wild "e" numbers when even that setup was only getting me numbers in the 7-digits? I haven't been playing too long but I dunno what's gonna beat 4 x3 jokers.

steel red seal kings with Baron joker, five flushes with ancient joker and one or more of the retrigger jokers like hack, crazy Perkeo combos that let you have dozens of jokers, and presumably many other weird things that go beyond exponential scaling.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GoutPatrol posted:

orange stake was such a wall, don't know how long it'll take me to finally beat gold.

Well not that long, lol. Took an early Throwback, Bloodstone and Cavendish all the way.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Phenotype posted:

How are people getting these wild "e" numbers when even that setup was only getting me numbers in the 7-digits? I haven't been playing too long but I dunno what's gonna beat 4 x3 jokers.

Balatro University has a short primer on this here and you can watch him put it in practice in his VOD of a recent tournament where he gets e1X scores in all four seeds.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

After like two weeks of trying, finally broke 100,000,000 to unlock Stuntman, which I somehow had never done yet. Beautiful build, Constellation at 4.5x, Steel at 2.5x, Observatory voucher, and a bunch of steel cards with red seals. Now to go back to challenge runs and gold stakesing everything.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Deathslinger posted:

I think I’ve found an exploit, in the PS4 version at least.

If you open a card pack in the store - let’s say an Arcana pack for example - once you pick a card from that pack, before the card-selection animation has finished, press the Options button and cut back to the main menu, and then choose to continue your game. It will bring you back to the “pick a card from this pack” selection screen, and allow you to potentially pick a different card.

What does this mean in practice? If you, for instance, buy an Arcana pack, choose a Wheel of Fortune card and get Noped, you can use this exploit (before the Nope! animation has ended) to revisit that Arcana pack and choose a different tarot card.

I’ve only tried this on PS4 but it has a 100% success rate. Has anyone else on any other platform encountered this exploit?
I believe the wheels are part of the generated seed RNG so if you undo getting one with an exploit like this it’ll just nope the next one instead, so at that rate you might as well never get wheel and don’t need to use such an exploit in the first place.

Which to be fair, I seldom take the wheel unless the rest of the pack is useless (bunch of suit conversions to a suit I’m not looking for probably easiest example), or unless it shows up in the shop and I’m so rich it doesn’t matter.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Phenotype posted:

I just had a high card run on red stakes with a 10x vampire, a foil blueprint, two polychrome card sharps (courtesy of an early mega spectral pack), and baron. That topped out at 9 figures, but mostly because I made a bunch of intentionally terrible choices along the way for unlocks - I got the 80-card deck achievement and the buy 20 playing cards unlock. I also had to pivot into the baron from shoot the moon, and that plus the fat deck meant I couldn’t consistently draw enough kings. The theoretical ceiling without negative jokers or similar was a multiplier-multiplier of 1.5^16 * 10 * 4.5^2, which is around 133000.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

roomtwofifteen posted:

After like two weeks of trying, finally broke 100,000,000 to unlock Stuntman, which I somehow had never done yet. Beautiful build, Constellation at 4.5x, Steel at 2.5x, Observatory voucher, and a bunch of steel cards with red seals. Now to go back to challenge runs and gold stakesing everything.

What the hell? Since when does that blueprint/ brainstorm setup work? I've tried that and it doesn't. Did that get patched????

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

What the hell? Since when does that blueprint/ brainstorm setup work? I've tried that and it doesn't. Did that get patched????

Blueprint and brainstorm have always been transitive. Were you trying to duplicate a joker that's not compatible with them?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
No, I could always get a fire from blueprint.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Are any cards compatible with one but not the other

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Something important to keep in mind is that steel cards, baron, ancient joker, and similar all trigger as the cards are scored, but BEFORE the bonuses from most jokers are scored. Meaning they scale off of the base multiplier for the hand you're using (and card bonuses like mult cards) but not with most jokers that give +mult bonuses. This makes hand level really important for those types of builds if you want to get huge scaling, rather than scaling mult jokers like Oracle. X Mult jokers still work with them of course.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Fajita Queen posted:

Something important to keep in mind is that steel cards, baron, ancient joker, and similar all trigger as the cards are scored, but BEFORE the bonuses from most jokers are scored. Meaning they scale off of the base multiplier for the hand you're using (and card bonuses like mult cards) but not with most jokers that give +mult bonuses. This makes hand level really important for those types of builds if you want to get huge scaling, rather than scaling mult jokers like Oracle. X Mult jokers still work with them of course.

Yep. Although the suit-based mult jokers do work (+4 mult per club, etc) since they increase mult as each card is scored. Same with the ones that score off specific numbers or off specifically face/non-face cards, etc.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I want big downside joker that makes every blind a boss blind but gives chips +mult and xmult

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

PoundSand posted:

wait why would you want smeared on a checkered deck, it basically starts smeared.

e: I guess double dipping on spade/club or heart/diamond based jokers but that still doesn't really seem worth the joker slot.

I only ever see the Ancient Joker or the Flowerpot one (3x if you use one of each suit) when I'm running checkered -_-

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Squinky v2.0 posted:

hot tip on the boss that shuffles jokers - you can click to start the round and quickly grab one of your jokers and hold it in place

until I saw someone do it, I never would have thought to try

I had that boss came up and it is a great hack! Definitely saved my orange stake ante 8 run.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It is my duty to report silly rear end Balatro runs

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Onmi posted:

It is my duty to report silly rear end Balatro runs

What did you get your High Card up to lol

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I never build for flushes because I worry about them being disabled or being unlucky, but just got my first win on red stake with them. Blue joker, supernova, blue print, card sharp and the tribe. Amber acorn on last boss nearly killed me but I got lucky. Also just realised that the boss that decreases your hand level, it's permanent not just for that hand.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

After grinding at it for way too long, I finally beat Gold Stake with Anaglyph. It was uh, a goofy run. Supernova, Stuntman, (negative) Campfire, Joker Stencil, and Perkeo. Honestly it felt like it wasn't gonna be a winning run for a while, but man Stuntman can keep you afloat for a really long time. Perkeo I mostly only used it with a Mercury because I was levelling pair, but it did probably get me another 8 levels. Right at the end I picked up a Familiar, which I duplicated twice and it did make my deck more consistent. If I were playing optimally I would've sold Perkeo right at the end, but I wanted that gold stake sticker. :v:

Also I gotta say, I think I was severely underestimating campfire, that joker's insanely good. Having joker stencil with me really highlighted it because I always had a free joker slot; I could basically walk into a shop, buy two garbage jokers and sell them, and I suddenly have a 2x mult card for like 4 dollars.

On the other hand, man I kinda hate Anaglyph now. It can certainly high roll and get you a lot of money, or in the case of this run get me 12 extra levels on pair in ante 8, but a lot of the time you just sit there and die with a stack of double tags. Sometimes you just blow them on minor rewards. A lot of the times they just feel kinda inconsequential.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Anaglyph feels like it exists to get a giant pile of negative jokers when trying to do E scoring nonsense.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah honestly there are a bunch of things its decent at. It can generate a ton of negative (or foil, holo, polychrome) jokers, it makes for a pretty good economy deck, it can pull a ton of spectral packs, if you get an early Mega Buffoon you can really coast for a while.

The only problem is, you don't really get to pick which (if any) of those things happen. :v:

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Anaglyph is the deck I've taken the furthest. I'm kind of burned out on trying to beat orange stake. Is there any consensus on the best deck to play at high stakes?

It's amazing how easy the game feels now going back to white stake to try to unlock some of the more esoteric jokers.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I didn't think anaglyph was that bad to complete gold stake with. It's definitely not as reliable as checkered/abandoned/erratic but the highrolls are high enough that it averages out to pretty decent IMO.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Campfire also gets terrifying when you combine it with a way of reliably generating tarot or planet cards, like purple seals or even just vouchers and rerolls and a decent economy. They’re much cheaper than jokers, but they all burn the same. :flame:

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Using the checkered deck I just cleared my first blue stake run, and got the achievement for scoring 1.000.000 chips on a single hand too. It was basically carried by Space Joker and Bloodstone, paired with Oops! All 6s. Sadly I burned out quickly after reaching infinite, as I basically needed Supernova and/or Blueprint to keep scaling, and found neither. Still, my Flush was level 28 by the time I finished my run. The million chip hand came near the end, where a red seal helped create a hearts flush that triggered the stone six times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I don't know why but I am really bad at these challenges. I know for omelette you can get lucky and find the joker that adds mult based on sell value of other jokers. But I have not seen it once in nearly 20 runs so far.