Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Excellent, I shall enjoy that probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Are the final episodes which they had to pull together at the last minute coming as part of this season, or are they coming as a separate event later?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zaroff posted:

Are the final episodes which they had to pull together at the last minute coming as part of this season, or are they coming as a separate event later?

The cancellation happened a few months after filming had wrapped. The final two episodes of the season were rewritten and re-shot, though not completely and filming was finished by May of last year, so they're coming with the rest of the season; I think the final episode releases on May 30.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
TWO episodes tonight?? :supaburn:

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Well, first episode spoiler, but I'm actually impressed with the creative way the writers had the Discovery stop the landslide.

Oh hey, Jean-Luc

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah that wasn't bad

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CPColin posted:

TWO episodes tonight?? :supaburn:

At this rate they''ll burn through the season by sunday!!!

What they need to do is release a third of an episode every week and then we're finally back to proper season lengths!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Started watching. I clocked Adam Jensen's voice immediately, that was neat.

God but Saru and Chancellor Whatshername are the most boring couple in history, an entire relationship based on awkwardly dancing around the point.

I don't consider that a spoiler given that this was how they were last season as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just watched the first new episode, it feels like more of the same of Discovery to me, both in the good and the bad. Made me realize just how spoiled I've been with Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks, but there's enough there I'll at least follow up to see if they explore any ideas in an interesting way: my hope is that Burnham and Rayner actually learn something from each other rather than just being a straight up antagonistic relationship, given they both had valid points about their strategies in the first episode.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I guess it didn't actually need explaining but I kind of like that they're addressing hey, why ARE all these species a bunch of mostly-compatible bipeds? It also gives them some more avenues to explore in future series that take place in the same era, especially if they explore other galaxies now that their existing one is starting to feel pretty filled out and complete.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I guess it didn't actually need explaining but I kind of like that they're addressing hey, why ARE all these species a bunch of mostly-compatible bipeds?

TNG did that decades ago with The Chase.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Accipiter posted:

TNG did that decades ago with The Chase.

This season of Discovery is a direct continuation of that episode

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Seemlar posted:

This season of Discovery is a direct continuation of that episode

But that episode was terrible.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Night10194 posted:

It's not on my all time list, but terrible? I can't agree. It's perfectly adequate Trek.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always liked it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Every episode that uses the screeching tires going-to-warp shot owns

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Night10194 posted:

You incompetent Top’a. That episode is a fun time.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Well at least it's not bad... so far.

It's still another "we could have done this in a 1 hour episode or at most a two parter but we're gonna stretch this for 10 episodes"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I really like the warp VFX in Disco. Looks rad and also kind of terrifying like spitting in the face of physics and god should.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I really like the warp VFX in Disco. Looks rad and also kind of terrifying like spitting in the face of physics and god should.

Do they have a new one this season? It's been completely different season to season or even within episodes in the same season. It's been star streaks with warping distortions, JJTrek hyperspace, a curving tunnel of solid lines, a wierd liquidy flowing tunnel, and even plain star streaks once or twice.

I actually quite liked the original Disco one, I'm sad it only lasted a couple of episodes.

https://i.imgur.com/o2CC29E.mp4

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 4, 2024

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Haven’t watched the episodes yet but I kinda love the idea of the 32nd century ships being able to easily kitbash thanks to programmable matter

https://twitter.com/gaghyogi49/status/1775953987675840535?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Do they have a new one this season?

Dunno, I don't have the old episodes anymore to check. It looks like the same effect from last season.

I'm happy they tried something with the future ships but man I just think they're ugly and stupid looking.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Haven’t watched the episodes yet but I kinda love the idea of the 32nd century ships being able to easily kitbash thanks to programmable matter

https://twitter.com/gaghyogi49/status/1775953987675840535?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q

Even without using the programmable matter, with detached nacelles and sections they should just be able to fly different ones up to the ship for different mission profiles.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Even without using the programmable matter, with detached nacelles and sections they should just be able to fly different ones up to the ship for different mission profiles.

I liked how they tried that with Nebula class but it never really spanned out. A 3rd hull which has mission-specific setup for local action and can be refitted on a whim as carriers, AWACS system, mobile hospitals, science stations or other roles, whereas Galaxies were the exploration vessels and all-rounders for the fleet that are good at everything but not the absolutely best.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have to say I like that they are picking up this thread from TNG- that episode was actually a neat way for Big Star Trek™ to answer why we mostly see humanoids throughout the galaxy in the travels, but was unsatisfyingly never mentioned again. And to include one of the Romulans that was there is really neat.

I'm digging the new captain as a pain in the rear end grizzled warrior. He'll be a welcome addition to this last season.
Seeing the Disco coming out of the mycelium jump from the view inside the shuttle bay- I always wondered what it looked like from the crew's perspective.

More Cronenberg is always good.

Book coming back? Totally expected. Having one of the bads being his relative? Ehhhh....

Tilly coming back? Totally expected. Nice to have her.

Jet's nickname for Saru is :discourse:

I'm looking forward to this season, warts and all.

And if any of you who haven't watched yet want NO spoilers, for the love of God DO NOT watch the "This season on Discovery" when episode one ends because they are showing stuff I would have rather been really surprised about.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 4, 2024

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm actually pretty sad that Discovery is ending, despite it not being very good TV.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The biggest issue is that Star Trek is again without a flagship show. What we have left are animations and spinoffs, and a couple of movie projects which are at best popcorn (Kelvin 4) or a trainwreck that already is a spinoff and cannot became a show because the lead is too expensive.

So there is a good chance that Star Trek Legacy or whatever that Matalas project was, will be greenlighted if Paramount sorts itself out. And that might take me out of Star Trek, unless the first episode starts with court martial and execution of Jack "slight treason" Crusher-Picard.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The USS Nog just sweeps through and takes all the nacelles

Nogged again y'all hahahaha *warps off*

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

The biggest issue is that Star Trek is again without a flagship show.

I'm pretty sure SNW took over from Discovery as their flagship a while ago anyway.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think there’s a very good chance SNW positions itself as the flagship show. It kinda already is, based on how hard they promoted season 2.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, it has the flagship in it! :v:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Super Deuce posted:

You incompetent Top’a. That episode is a fun time.

Don't drag Bortus, Klyden, or Topa into this.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I agree SNW is a good show but it still is a spinoff and a prequel that has "set destination", at least sorts-of.

IMHO what Star Trek desperately needs is a flagship akin to what TNG was to TOS.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

I agree SNW is a good show but it still is a spinoff and a prequel that has "set destination", at least sorts-of.

Pike gets cloned in a transporter accident and we follow the adventures of Cristobal Pike.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Jerusalem posted:

my hope is that Burnham and Rayner actually learn something from each other rather than just being a straight up antagonistic relationship, given they both had valid points about their strategies in the first episode.

Watch episode 2, they actually went somewhere really interesting with it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Der Kyhe posted:

IMHO what Star Trek desperately needs is a flagship akin to what TNG was to TOS.

These seem like really arbitrary reasons to dismiss SNW as the flagship

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

feedmyleg posted:

Pike gets cloned in a transporter accident and we follow the adventures of Cristobal Pike.

And genderswapped. Christabelle Pike

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Make another Trek around 80 years or so after Picard. Set up more federation adventures with all new characters. gently caress it, call the ship Enterprise. Almost never refer to TOS or TNG. People would be hella skeptical at first but they also were when TNG came out.

Also Disco5: The Soong android was completely unnecessary but I'm just glad they didn't try and put Spiner back in the makeup for the appearance.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

The USS Nog just sweeps through and takes all the nacelles

Nogged again y'all hahahaha *warps off*

Nogmogged :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ok I'm laughing about how the episode preview for disco s5 ep2 just cut out that it was the bad guys who started the avalanche to make the other captain look bad. Also how stamets was like 'im worried I've peaked with almost completely revolutionizing interstellar travel' and it's like yeah bud, duh.