Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Coasterphreak posted:

If I had to speculate (and just to be clear, this is pure speculation) the problem they’re running into is that any motor with enough torque to move the ride vehicles can also move them fast enough to make them unsafe.

Sure, you can install limiters and safety cutoffs, but all of that can be bypassed if you have half an idea of what you’re doing.

And recorded on camera and posted to YouTube.

A leaf blower engine has an upper limit.
I mean... I wasn't exaggerating. You can literally google "electric go kart" and get dozens of options. You can buy them off Amazon. With a speed limiter.

This is a very solved problem, which is reflective of the fact that Autopia should've gone entirely electic about thirty years ago, when electric vehicles were still a futuristic concept. (The ride is in Tomorrowland for a reason, which is that in 1955, interstate highways were a futuristic concept.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Coasterphreak posted:

If I had to speculate (and just to be clear, this is pure speculation) the problem they’re running into is that any motor with enough torque to move the ride vehicles can also move them fast enough to make them unsafe.

Sure, you can install limiters and safety cutoffs, but all of that can be bypassed if you have half an idea of what you’re doing.

And recorded on camera and posted to YouTube.

A leaf blower engine has an upper limit.

Isn’t this pretty much one of the (many many) insane things the drunk teens running Action Park did?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Coasterphreak posted:

yeah where could they possibly find a replacement electric vehicle that tech doesnt exist yet

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

What if instead of electric cars we just demolish it on both coasts and put something good there instead

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Tim Whatley posted:

What if instead of electric cars we just demolish it on both coasts and put something good there instead

:hmmyes:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh now you want to remove non-IP rides.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

Easy enough for WDW, but at DLR I believe it's much more difficult to plop something else down because of the tunnels from the submarine voyage. I do wonder if it's one of those things that's only still around because it's an original. I can't think of any other reason why.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I say keep Autopia. It's kind of woven into the landscape between the monorail and over the submarine ride and everything. There's not much else you could do with that space and it's also very scenic and pretty, being only two lanes since they all diverge and has nice landscaping.

Tomorrowland Speedway on the other hand is just a big ugly open field with a few sparse trees, and the four lanes the entire route make it look trashy. You could easily put multiple good attractions in that space. I say remove it.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Coasterphreak posted:

A guest could override the limiter on Autopia, the same way a guest could get out of the boat and have a drug-fueled romp through Small World.

it wouldn't go unnoticed; in either case the remedy is they get sent to Disney Jail forever

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The cars on Autopia and Tomorrowland Speedway already have speed governors on them. It's a little spring lever mechanism that can easily be altered if you open the hood. They are actually capable of going about 20-25 mph.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The general impression I picked up at Disneyland is that salaried office-building types know that restoring the submarine ride 18 years ago (!!!!) was a mistake, and they should have just torn down everything but the monorail pylons and completely redesigned that area after Rocket Rods failed in 2001.

It's a consequence of not having any long term vision, because in 2005 there would have been no budget to do that, and Matt Ouimet's administration getting the money from corporate to redo the subs along with striking the Honda deal to connect/redo Autopia was considered a big overhaul for Disneyland's 50th celebration. The bigger problem is that the 9/11 tourism recession and the housing crisis was almost 20 years ago and the park keeps choosing to build new construction on expansion soil (backstage areas, parking lots, etc) rather than making better use of 50+ year old spaces, which is pretty wild when raw space is what Disney Anaheim is always trying to contend with.

Owing to inflation, iirc the Nemo redo of Submarine Voyage finally broke Spaceship Earth's long-standing record of most expensive Disney attraction until Pandora.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 2, 2024

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tim Whatley posted:

I support thi-

Aphrodite posted:

Oh now you want to remove non-IP rides.

hahahaha this is really good

for real though, I feel like you could have a really great mickey races thing for kids outside of the parks, maybe over at ESPN, and do something very different with autopia/tomorrowland speedway. or, just inject them with Sugar Rush like they should have years ago. A quick sarah silverman (for all she sucks) overlay would give it a femme twist (which is extremely lacking in tomorrowland) and something different.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

For a while I thought Pandora might go over Nemo and Autopia but apparently not now

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Well now I’m curious— I know the Orlando Pandora is largely hurricane-proof, but could a straight-up replica work in Anaheim with its earthquakes?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I doubt the problem is earthquakes, but more likely to be CalOSHA and the lack of an RCID to let Disney more or less make up it's own codes, which is why Anaheim now has an extra cusp on the top of Space Mountain that it's twin in Tokyo nor the one in Orlando share (before and after, it's extra supports for the guys cleaning the dome). Without knowing anything about how they maintain the Pandora facade, I couldn't say anything further.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 2, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I support thi-

hahahaha this is really good

for real though, I feel like you could have a really great mickey races thing for kids outside of the parks, maybe over at ESPN, and do something very different with autopia/tomorrowland speedway. or, just inject them with Sugar Rush like they should have years ago. A quick sarah silverman (for all she sucks) overlay would give it a femme twist (which is extremely lacking in tomorrowland) and something different.
Hey Past Andy posting "What I'd do if I was in charge of the parks", you wanna take this one

CapnAndy posted:

Autopia is a disgrace. Freeways are not a novel concept. Gas burning cars are not the future. "Make them electric cars" was an easy solution... twenty years ago. Now? Now, they need to be electric, obviously, and they need to be self-driving. (The current state of the art can more than handle go-karts on a closed track.) And while I'm not going to go pure IP everywhere, "driving cars" is a weak enough concept that it really needs some IP. I'd give it a retheme to Sugar Rush. This lets us justify the self-driving, which you can toggle on and off -- if you don't want to race, or are too little to, Vanellope will do it for you. Its proximity to TRON and Buzz Lightyear also raises the possibility of spinning off into a video games themed Arcadeland; I can't think of anything else to take advantage of that right now so I don't want to do it, but it's a neat idea for the future.
Thanks Past Andy

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Hey Past Andy posting "What I'd do if I was in charge of the parks", you wanna take this one

Thanks Past Andy

The hardest agree though. I dunno if Wreck-It Ralph is still super relevant, but it's like the only racing game thing they have. Like they aren't gonna do Cars when they have Cars Land already.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I would like them to finally fix the Rocket Rods/People Mover in Disneyland.

Just get rid of it and remodel everything around it that is open.

Autopia is okay, but they already have Cars Test Track at California Adventure now.

But then again, I'm also wanting to see Innoventions instead of Star Wars Merch Store or Stark Expo.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TelevisedInsanity posted:

I would like them to finally fix the Rocket Rods/People Mover in Disneyland.

Just get rid of it and remodel everything around it that is open.

Autopia is okay, but they already have Cars Test Track at California Adventure now.

But then again, I'm also wanting to see Innoventions instead of Star Wars Merch Store or Stark Expo.

Disneyland's Tomorrowland presents an enormous issue and basically needs to be shut down to be fixed. If they took it down for a year and absolutely kicked rear end fixing things up, doing something or other with the peoplemover, etc, it would do so very much for them.

Tomorrowland in general is a hard concept to keep up with, but both US parks have really, really ignored theirs for too long.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://x.com/scottgustin/status/1775578604442701872?s=46

What if I was right lol

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

More Avatar????

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're going to build Water Avatar land there about 6 years after the movie.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Aphrodite posted:

They're going to build Water Avatar land there about 6 years after the movie.

The sequel made a billion dollars two years ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, and Pandora was completed 8 years after the first one came out.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Tim Whatley posted:

What if I was right lol
they're just putting out juicy concept art to persuade councilpeople to vote for the expansion

The OC Register posted:

During the shareholder meeting, Iger also discussed the $1.9 billion DisneylandForward proposal seeking approval by the Anaheim City Council on April 16.

“We are excited about the stories our guests could experience at Walt’s original theme park destination after approval of DisneylandForward — including the chance to experience all-new Avatar adventures with a visit to Pandora,” Disney Experiences Chairman Josh D’Amaro wrote in a Disney Parks blog post.

The concept art shows jutting rocks and floating mountains amid gushing geysers and alien flora. A boat filled with riders passes through an aqua-green lagoon heading toward a cascading waterfall.

Iger described the concept art as “creative inspiration” for a potential Avatar experience being designed by Walt Disney Imagineering. Disney’s creative arm is teaming up with “Avatar” filmmaker James Cameron on the new land.
No way do they have the guts to replace Tomorrowland. Nemo Subs and the Tomorrowland Expo Center et al are gonna be there till I die.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Disneyland's Tomorrowland presents an enormous issue and basically needs to be shut down to be fixed. If they took it down for a year and absolutely kicked rear end fixing things up, doing something or other with the peoplemover, etc, it would do so very much for them.

Tomorrowland in general is a hard concept to keep up with, but both US parks have really, really ignored theirs for too long.
We are going to continue to hard agree on this topic, it looks like. Going retro-future with it was supposed to fix the problem, but it didn't help at all; with its curved lines, rivet holes, and coloring, Tomorrowland looks like a very '90s retro-future.

I really don't think there's any fix to the inherent problem that tomorrow will always become today and today will, in turn, always become yesterday. Just bite the bullet and start budgeting for a total overhaul every 15-20 years.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oh that sure looks like the nemo subs are gonna die too

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I’m convinced James Cameron has compromising pictures of somebody in C-Level Disney

Speaking of, is there a chance the hostile takeover rumors have any substance? I’ve been getting ads on Instagram about how shareholders really need to vote against some weird chuds who are trying to remake the Disney board.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hazo posted:

Speaking of, is there a chance the hostile takeover rumors have any substance? I’ve been getting ads on Instagram about how shareholders really need to vote against some weird chuds who are trying to remake the Disney board.

The chuds lost the vote to do that by 93 to 7 today. They have no chance of doing anything against the current board.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Every couple of years some hedge fund ghoul gets mad that Disney is only making $infinity instead of $infinity+ and thus they need to take over the board and stripmine the whole thing for parts.

I thought it was Defunctland had a good video on what was probably the best attempt that led to the Eisner-era but I can't find it so hopefully one of you bums will remember who actually made it and post the link tia.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

C. Everett Koop posted:

Every couple of years some hedge fund ghoul gets mad that Disney is only making $infinity instead of $infinity+ and thus they need to take over the board and stripmine the whole thing for parts.

quote:

Nelson Peltz slams Disney for 'all-women and all-black Marvel casts' - sparking furious letter from studio warning of 'the damage this BULLY would do if he were allowed on the board'

Can't be overstated how loving dumb these assholes are

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CapnAndy posted:

Going retro-future with it was supposed to fix the problem, but it didn't help at all; with its curved lines, rivet holes, and coloring, Tomorrowland looks like a very '90s retro-future.

I really don't think there's any fix to the inherent problem that tomorrow will always become today and today will, in turn, always become yesterday. Just bite the bullet and start budgeting for a total overhaul every 15-20 years.

I would say that until recently Epcot was an extremely 80s future that I almost forgot seeing everywhere first hand in that era, and it was so well kept up that it was awesome.

Tomorrowland already had it with the 1960s Googie bottle nose rocket ship future, they just needed to maintain it through the "ugh so passe" phase to the point where people actually miss it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 4, 2024

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Can't be overstated how loving dumb these assholes are

Peltz was an avatar for Ike Perlmutter, the former Marvel chief who only wanted white men to be in their movies and loved penny-pinching to a ridiculous degree, with the obvious exception of all the money he can give to Trump.

Makes sense a comic company would be ran by a cartoon villain.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Halloween Horror Nights dates confirmed, August 30th through November 4th.

http://spr.ly/6187w89c9

If I recall correctly, this is the first time HHN has broken the August barrier, although my friend's take: "They'll be down to like 25% of their performers by October."

I think it was only a matter of time before it spilled into August. I think I'm going to combo an Unmasking the Horror behind the scenes tour into an RIP Tour this year, but on different days. Learned my lesson last year.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cais posted:

Halloween Horror Nights dates confirmed, August 30th through November 4th.

http://spr.ly/6187w89c9

If I recall correctly, this is the first time HHN has broken the August barrier, although my friend's take: "They'll be down to like 25% of their performers by October."

I think it was only a matter of time before it spilled into August. I think I'm going to combo an Unmasking the Horror behind the scenes tour into an RIP Tour this year, but on different days. Learned my lesson last year.

I'd expect MNSSHP to pop up with dates within the next week, then. Which is great, because I am tapping my foot over here trying to see when I need to make a reservation for.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What did they do in the past when Labor Day was an early one? Wait until that first weekend after to start it?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Think I might sign up for Unmasking The Horror this year. In 2022 it was my first ever HHN and I absolutely loved it but my wife was so scared lol. This seems to be my workaround.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

C. Everett Koop posted:

I thought it was Defunctland had a good video on what was probably the best attempt that led to the Eisner-era but I can't find it so hopefully one of you bums will remember who actually made it and post the link tia.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clKWYDPNblo

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Tim Whatley posted:

Think I might sign up for Unmasking The Horror this year. In 2022 it was my first ever HHN and I absolutely loved it but my wife was so scared lol. This seems to be my workaround.

I have a friend that's in the same boat, she'll never go to HHN with me but she liked the lights on tour!

At least in year's past, the 6 house and the 3 house versions have had different houses along the route. That info isn't usually released until the full reveal, but it might help you decide which tour to book if there's a house that you have to see.

EDIT: New from my guide friend, but they're actually starting the 3 house tour before the event starts this year.

Cais fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Me desperately wanting to be at HHN this year after first time last year.