Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Is this supposed to be a big revelation because honestly my first thought is "Who care"

Like why does it matter if Robot is the first to die. I guess it matters to him??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This chapter was…not good.
I really enjoyed the “revelations” so far though, in large part thanks to the artwork.

But this:
:emo: “I resigned myself to die! The first of our kind to cleanse myself of my sins!”
Emotionally attuned person and occasional psychopomp :v: “actually you’d be second to die. Someone already died.”

Really kind of shat on this page.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Darth TNT posted:

This chapter was…not good.

Incorrect.

The chapter isn't over, so this chapter is not good.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Honestly, if the culmination of Robot's plan was "and then become a psychopomp to guide then into the afterlife as my penance", with Annie's reveal that someone has already died, I wouldn't mind it. But instead now all I'm wishing for is for Annie to give Robot the same treatment Ann gave the teacher in Persona 5. gently caress you, you don't get to do horrible poo poo and then take the easy way out.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Didn't Robot already acknowledge that the robots and numen can die and have already had at least one death, just like a couple pages ago? What is going on here

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Robot was referring to the experimental limb Kat blew up. As far as I know, that was literally just a limb, nothing with an actual conscience.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Randalor posted:

Robot was referring to the experimental limb Kat blew up. As far as I know, that was literally just a limb, nothing with an actual conscience.

Seems to me like the point was that they were taking it pretty seriously.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I guess the distinction is that this is the New People proper. So, robots specifically given a new body, not whatever that little winglet was.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Whoopsie-daisy! Your planned martyrdom was undone by my stupid mistake.

Well, let's call this whole thing off, eh? I don't think Kat will even be that upset, water under the bridge.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Now everyone is going to round on Annie and be mad she let a human robot die before Robot, and instead of noting how absurd this is, she’ll feebly try to defend herself

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
My reaction:

Caphi posted:

Seems to me like the point was that they were taking it pretty seriously.

ugh, the numens look so boring compared to the old robots

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

lmfao

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

ffs

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Why is her response so unfeeling? Her friend who she literally brought to life from storage just spilled his guts about wanting to die and her reply isn't, oh my god robot don't talk like that, kat would never harm you, we are friends, we can help you, something is wrong but we can figure this out!

No it's, um ACTUALLY you aren't the first dead robot loser, some nobody beat you there.

Like hey Annie? Is this the perfect moment for a fact check?? Like maybe that's information that can wait till later huh???? Like maybe his factual correctness isn't the most important thing to address in this exact moment?

Edit: like there is an uncaring rear end in a top hat nobody with no emotional connection to robot RIGHT THERE if someone needed to be a loving pedant. If robot HAS to learn about Sam this exact moment, why not the notzimmybot? She's making a stupid uninterested face and everything, she could just butt in and give Annie the opportunity to pretend she has an ounce of tact or empathy and, I dunno, be like, "hey stranger that's not really here or there right this second could you shut up"

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 4, 2024

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Rat Patrol posted:

Why is her response so unfeeling? Her friend who she literally brought to life from storage just spilled his guts about wanting to die and her reply isn't, oh my god robot don't talk like that, kat would never harm you, we are friends, we can help you, something is wrong but we can figure this out!

No it's, um ACTUALLY you aren't the first dead robot loser, some nobody beat you there.

Like hey Annie? Is this the perfect moment for a fact check?? Like maybe that's information that can wait till later huh???? Like maybe his factual correctness isn't the most important thing to address in this exact moment?

Edit: like there is an uncaring rear end in a top hat nobody with no emotional connection to robot RIGHT THERE if someone needed to be a loving pedant. If robot HAS to learn about Sam this exact moment, why not the notzimmybot? She's making a stupid uninterested face and everything, she could just butt in and give Annie the opportunity to pretend she has an ounce of tact or empathy and, I dunno, be like, "hey stranger that's not really here or there right this second could you shut up"
This post is such a good point as to how the comic has completely lost all heart or interest in its characters for the most part. It's not even asking the most basic questions of how characters would realistically act. They act ways and say things because the plot needs them to at that moment to move forward, not because it would make sense, even though thinking about it for two seconds would lead to your obvious conclusion of "why not use the observer with no apparent emotional investment to give an insensitive correction as their only feedback on this elaborate ultimate shame martyr fantasy, instead of the person he once literally called Mommy, who is supposed to be his friend and also the emotional center of this story and audience surrogate"

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Even if you didn't want her to be sympathetic to robot for some reason, wouldn't she at the very least be moved to stand up for Kat? He just said he thinks Annie's best friend is capable of doling out capital punishment, TO HER FRIEND. Kat who wept for lab mice. Kat who saved a baby pigeon, one of the earth's ugliest babies. Even if zimmy land scrambled Annie's mind and she's not able to feel afraid for her friend Robot, surely she could feel outraged for Kat? That might be an interesting conflict for this, what I assume is meant to be a tense, heightened moment despite the deflating presence of notzimmy's blank idiot face

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 4, 2024

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

As an aside it’s really incredible how every single Numan has been terrible for most scenes they’re in. Lana had some degree of promise that got immediately bodied by a series of bad decisions but Dead Guy and Flock of Background Characters and Blank-Faced Notzimmy have all been a palpable discredit to every scene they’re in both visually and narratively.

I guess Arthur gets a passing grade.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

A bold pro-transhumanism moral: robots are way cooler than and superior to humans and you can tell by how miserably boring these robots are now that they're human.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tiny Myers posted:

A bold pro-transhumanism moral: robots are way cooler than and superior to humans and you can tell by how miserably boring these robots are now that they're human.

now this would be a comic I could get behind

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

You know, I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned this, but what would the cult/Robot do if there were dissident robots that DIDN'T want to become human? Robot's whole plan revolved around "humanizing" ALL the robots, so would they forcibly disassemble any dissidents and harvest the chips? Robot himself started thinking about how bad it was to be human and fragile before he saw Shadow and his horny circuit kicked in, what's stopping other robots from having the same train of thought?

Man, now I want to see a holy schism in the Cult of Kat.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Randalor posted:

You know, I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned this, but what would the cult/Robot do if there were dissident robots that DIDN'T want to become human? Robot's whole plan revolved around "humanizing" ALL the robots, so would they forcibly disassemble any dissidents and harvest the chips? Robot himself started thinking about how bad it was to be human and fragile before he saw Shadow and his horny circuit kicked in, what's stopping other robots from having the same train of thought?

There's so, so many cool ways it could go!!! So many possibilities you just leave completely explored because who cares, how about an unflinching army of sycophants, robots are the same as people and have agency except for when they're painfully, unrealistically single minded on a subject!!!

Like there's this big parallel to Lucifer and Robot being this big Judas and you never thought to have anyone be a dissident? There's so many people who don't believe in the Christian God/Jesus, including in the stories about him!

Also man yeah that robot is just Lana isn't it. That's the dumb loving twist they're setting up, you thought it was zimmy but oooooo. Late to the train but it suddenly became crystal clear to me while I lay here sleep deprived.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Randalor posted:

Aren't they in a way forcibly disassembling the robots already? None of the current Numans were able to give their consent on whether they wanted a new body. Kat just rounded up all the chips and decided for them because of their weird override code. And in the She Gave Us an Ocean chapter, there wasn't really any choice given, just "yo, you've been in a coma for a hot minute, so now we're giving you a new body and more brain probs. Pick something super default, k?"

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It all keeps boiling down to the fact that Tom is now writing this comic as if he's lost all interest in it and just needs to get it out of the way.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Cavatica posted:

Aren't they in a way forcibly disassembling the robots already? None of the current Numans were able to give their consent on whether they wanted a new body. Kat just rounded up all the chips and decided for them because of their weird override code. And in the She Gave Us an Ocean chapter, there wasn't really any choice given, just "yo, you've been in a coma for a hot minute, so now we're giving you a new body and more brain probs. Pick something super default, k?"

Literally a single "can I have my old body back, I liked it". You can't tell me no one was attached to their old body even a little? Not even the Robot King who drew on his funny little faces?

e:

mycatscrimes posted:

It all keeps boiling down to the fact that Tom is now writing this comic as if he's lost all interest in it and just needs to get it out of the way.

I start to think that, but then he goes on these weird insane tangents like Lana and Loup that drag on way too long, or a bunch of pages of Annie recapping things, e.g. the "just a reminder we're in the zimmy verse, poo poo is weird, I'm gonna say it again, this sure is the zimmy verse, and that girl looks like zimmy". The comic is slamming the gas with one foot and the brakes with the other.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 4, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cavatica posted:

Ish? I mean, I thought the ones that they were digging up were the ones that had been brainjacked by the court then buried by Loup, so they weren't really in a position to say anything either way (the coma parallel is very on-point), but we haven't been shown any robots that actively said "Hey, being a human would be cool and all, but I was created for this specific purpose, I'm content doing my job, and my robot body seems really good for doing that. If it's all the same with you, I'd prefer to keep doing my job as a robot." Heck, I don't think we've even seen any Numen have second thoughts after they, say, stub a toe or bang their funnybone. That poo poo hurts and we've been doing it for decades, I can't imagine anyone who isn't Bill Cypher doing that for the first time and liking it.

Edit:

Tiny Myers posted:

I start to think that, but then he goes on these weird insane tangents like Lana and Loup that drag on way too long, or a bunch of pages of Annie recapping things, e.g. the "just a reminder we're in the zimmy verse, poo poo is weird, I'm gonna say it again, this sure is the zimmy verse, and that girl looks like zimmy". The comic is slamming the gas with one foot and the brakes with the other.

Oh god, why did you have to remind me of that? "Here is a recap OF THE PAST 4 PAGES" while throwing in very specific deep throwbacks without comment or notation.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 4, 2024

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

mycatscrimes posted:

Merch sales or donations have got to be hella strong lol. Get that bag Tom, if Ctrl+Alt+Del can do it so can you!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I literally laughed out loud

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

This is such a weirdly mean way to deflate a character we've spent years watching.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

This is the worst anti suicide psa i seen

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Tom's "shellfish" pun makes me cringe

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Okay normally I’m just generically bitchy about the decline, but shellfish? Really? We’re making cutesy author note puns about a formerly beloved character trying to commit suicide out of self-loathing and guilt?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Well at least she's acknowledging what's actually happening instead of fact checking

E: now if I only knew what what was actually happening

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 5, 2024

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

"Robot, this is besides the point!"
Then why did you bring it up? You don't get to be nettled at him for responding to your fact check!

Shellfish.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the author notes have usually been glib, I don’t think this is something to get worked up about

dialogue is extremely weak though

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

her face is so amorphous lmao like please explain to me why it looks like it's drawn at 3 different angles

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Remember when we thought the story was speeding towards a conclusion once Kat and Paz broke up, and then Loup and Annie buried the hatchet?

And now we've been in the Zimmiverse for over half a year.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Annointed posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court: This is the worst anti suicide psa i seen

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Annointed posted:

This is the worst anti suicide psa i seen

I was gonna ask if this had wrapped or improved since I dropped it but I think this warns off a lot, looking over the last page of thread

Also I feel like even without looking it's not gonna top my personal worst-in-class there of (manga title spoiler) Platinum End.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

RocketMermaid posted:

Annointed posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court: This is the worst anti suicide psa i seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Oxxidation posted:

the author notes have usually been glib, I don’t think this is something to get worked up about

ordinarily i'd ignore it, but

coolusername posted:

We’re making cutesy author note puns about a formerly beloved character trying to commit suicide out of self-loathing and guilt?