Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

What a good comic.

FoxTrot Classix

In Which We Learn That Rose and Jimbo Have a Weird Pet Fetish Play Thing Going On

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

A young Rob Liefeld sighs wearily as he realizes nobody has hook feet.

It's very endearing how painfully 70's this strip is, and it's entirely conveyed in passing details.

riderchop posted:

It's time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwizAUNvUD0

catlord posted:

I love how all the worldbuilding for this comic is horror upon horror, and Holbrook just... doesn't realise it?

I maintain that he thinks it's all just whimsy and fun. It's just jokes! For laughs!

...I wonder what the mice were before they were unceremoniously transformed into mice (against their will, as is the custom of this world.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

JethroMcB posted:

Cul de Sac

What a good comic.

FoxTrot Classix

In Which We Learn That Rose and Jimbo Have a Weird Pet Fetish Play Thing Going On

A young Rob Liefeld sighs wearily as he realizes nobody has hook feet.

It's very endearing how painfully 70's this strip is, and it's entirely conveyed in passing details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwizAUNvUD0

I maintain that he thinks it's all just whimsy and fun. It's just jokes! For laughs!

...I wonder what the mice were before they were unceremoniously transformed into mice (against their will, as is the custom of this world.)

Just turn them into jelly’s and let them reset their lives.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 9/18/60

Man they really thought 'dynaprops' were gonna be the air propulsion method of the future.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
IT'S TIME...

For Mutts, featuring another dog who likes being alive.

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 7, 1936)

Peanuts (April 7, 1977)

Crankshaft

The punchline is...capitalism. :ussr:

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner, in which that one loose end that made me hide my eyes gets tied up with a stinky burlap bow. (April 2-4, 1936, timg'd for my own peace of mind)

Also, an artist leaves the hill country. One with piercing eyes and a napkin ring waist. Drive carefully, buddy.

Thimble Theater, in which our designated big-bad makes a rookie mistake. (November 6, 1940)

Out Our Way (May 18-20, 1944)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 3, 2024

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

You can call her Luna, Arlo.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

El Spamo posted:

Man they really thought 'dynaprops' were gonna be the air propulsion method of the future.

I wonder if that 1960s love of dynaprops led to the design of the SHIELD Helicarrier.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"We seek peaceful coexistence"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Someone better get their face phasered off.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I can't believe that Heathcliff is real.

Separately, I'm not sure what's coming with Foob but I am eager to learn.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

"Well your whole thing is being a dim-witted corporate bootlicker, so yes."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Evergreen "I hate that we're supposed to like Crankshaft" post.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

She gave up her entire career because her dipshit boyfriend prefers sitting in his beanbag chair watching Netflix than literally any other activity and gets grumpy if she's not there with him. Such a controlling overly ambitious shrew.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Dodgers did have a right handed pitcher named Martínez in their starting rotation in 1995, but I'm guessing this dude is not supposed to be Pedro Martinez's brother.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

"and then my arm exploded"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

gently caress HIM UP BOK

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(October 5, 1910)

Baron Bean(April 5, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(March 5, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(November 26, 1919)

Us Boys(April 3, 1912)

The Gumps(May 2, 1917)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

Welcome to 1995, where we have to explain how a mouse works, just in case. (Just a note for this and some following comics with similar things in ‘em – 1995 was pretty far along in the general history of home computing, of course, but Japan’s always lagged behind a bit in adoption of desktop computing. There was actually a big kerfluffle here when Windows ’95 was launched with an ad campaign along the lines of “every home needs a copy” and a bunch of computerless housewives bought it, got angry about misleading advertising, and raised a stink. Heck, I still get college freshmen who don’t really know how to use a mouse.)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Man, what kind of animal was Little Critter supposed to be, anyway? A porcupine?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Man, what kind of animal was Little Critter supposed to be, anyway? A porcupine?

He looks like an older, down-on-his-luck Philippe from Achewood

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

drat, that's a fine critter

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

oh no i remember this exact one, they had it in the mac lab in my grade school

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

what was more tragic: the death of Farley or the OKC bombing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyq_5PODZPU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAwGtycRI_M&t=42s

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake The Magician

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

you broke my grill posted:

what was more tragic: the death of Farley or the OKC bombing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyq_5PODZPU

wow this channel is a gold(?)mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2KeSKBOUNA

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Man the "unemployment officer that hates how lovely you are" sure is a rich well, it's a real shame that it's just not really a thing at all anywhere.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

for gently caress's sake FLOWERS ARE TEMPORARY. THEY ARE THE GENITALS OF PLANTS.

unfortunately for my sanity i have read enough of safe havens strips that have the plant people in it to know that holbrook is very much is aware of this

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

can't let anything bad happen to anyone or conflict to exist, time to solve the problem

[adds "Dr. Scholls" to the list of wells this comic frequently pulls from]

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 9/4-6/52

Archie 1/9-11/50

The last one is spoilered for fake Chinese dialect.

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 5/29/77

Oh dear.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Selachian posted:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 5/29/77

Oh dear.

Dollars to donuts that mystic’s real name is Melvin and he was born in Flushing, NY or whatever. I see you, Stan.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (June 1-3, 1925)

Out Our Way: Cowboys Revisited (June 2, 1925)

And a bonus from June 3, 1925 which lands in an interesting, slightly different place these days.

Toonerville Folks (August 21-23, 1922; spoiler for a Usual Reasons background character)

Dok's Dippy Dorsal Fins (March 1, 1915)

Little Lefty (January 11-13, 1940, and for toeing the party line about the Winter War, Marmy gets some extra page space on the 11th.)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hostile V posted:

Evergreen "I hate that we're supposed to like Crankshaft" post.

It's okay to dislike garbage

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F MInus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

I'm thinking it's the guy who was already marked by the Phantom.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

While I'm sure you could get the other Living Books entries in Japan, it feels like Just Grandma and Me was chosen because a) it was the first entry in the series and b) it was the only one that had a Japanese language option (I didn't know how similar the words were, but I sure had a ball experiencing the exact same story but hearing everyone speaking Japanese instead of English)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 10-12, 2006)

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 14, 2024