Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SlimGoodbody posted:

God drat I love me some D&D.

Also, it seems so strange to me that Larian painstakingly modeled several different ranks of gnoll, gave them stats and mechanics and animations and gear and sound effects, and then used them for one single fight and then you never see one again for the next 115 hours (unless there's a sudden reappearance somewhere in the back half of act 3 that I'm unaware of).

There's a few in Moonrise Tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Medullah posted:

There's a few in Moonrise Tower.

Ah, makes sense. My wife is the one who's in Act 3 and she assaulted Moonrise without ever realizing you could go inside and schmooze around so I think there's a bunch of stuff we missed there.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I just assumed he was saying it takes 115 hours to get from the gnoll cave to Moonrise which sounded right to me

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I just assumed he was saying it takes 115 hours to get from the gnoll cave to Moonrise which sounded right to me

Gotta make sure you have longstrider on everybody after long resting after each fight :colbert:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I MUST recruit minthara even if it makes zero gameplay or story sense

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
re: the towers: Act 2 has several different game modes inside, a Silent Hill-like for example for the Thorms, and a Hitman-like for Moonrise Towers. You go in, gank some guys slick like, and then when you gently caress up you go loud. To pre-save Jaheira of course.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I can't think of much a blind playthrough would miss, assuming that the player fills in the map and talks to everybody. There's small stuff (like failing the quest to steal the idol because you can't give it to Mol at the party), but the vast majority of stuff will work regardless of what order you do things in, you don't need to look things up to find the content. I guess a warning not kill Gortash at the coronation?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

Also, it seems so strange to me that Larian painstakingly modeled several different ranks of gnoll, gave them stats and mechanics and animations and gear and sound effects, and then used them for one single fight and then you never see one again for the next 115 hours (unless there's a sudden reappearance somewhere in the back half of act 3 that I'm unaware of).

that's what makes this game so special. Things that appear only once have the same amount of detail as other games that reuse assets a lot

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

EorayMel posted:

Gotta make sure you have longstrider on everybody after long resting after each fight :colbert:

my daily morning routine - speak with animal, speak to dead and longstrider

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

re: the towers: Act 2 has several different game modes inside, a Silent Hill-like for example for the Thorms, and a Hitman-like for Moonrise Towers. You go in, gank some guys slick like, and then when you gently caress up you go loud. To pre-save Jaheira of course.

My favorite thing to do is go out the back door and when no one is looking shove all the guards one by one into the lake.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Don't you need to cast speak to dead on a corpse in order to activate it for the long rest? Sus

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Act 3 question, evil stuff:

Is there a particular way to do the hits for Impress The Murder Counsil without aggroing everybody? I know I can just gank Dolor, which I plan on doing anyway, but I would like to min-max my severed hand collection. :madmax:

Is this a total stealth thing? I never wrapped my mind around stealth even by now since the Console UI adds a layer of frustration but Im sure I can whip up a minion or temporarily respec or whatever.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

I MUST recruit minthara even if it makes zero gameplay or story sense

i looked it up and saw she was very broken so i didn't recruit her.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Don't you need to cast speak to dead on a corpse in order to activate it for the long rest? Sus

I'm never not near a dead body for long

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

That's why you just keep a dead body in your camp chest.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I recruited Minthara twice, once as Resist Durge, which had her on the sidelines, since Minsc and Jahiera are high priority Companions, and I romanced Laezel.

I an currently deep into Act 3 as real true bastard Ascend Astarion and Ive done her romance.

imo, she is kind of underdone in a lot of respects, but I am very glad that the option to recruit a boss is simply there! honestly, I am absolutely fine with an underdone Companion existing, if it means another Frog vs Magus type scenario in a video game

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

On my first playthrough I missed both scratch and the owlbear cub lmao

Dudes were like "our cult leader got killed by an owlbear" and I was like "skill issue, goodbye"

My first run through the game I missed Gale. Just never walked past that portal. Got to the end of the game, started a new one, saw him in character select and thought “who tf is that”.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think there’s hyenas on a path next to the Gnoll fight that can turn into Gnolls if you don’t kill them quick enough too or something. But yeah that’s about it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

BG3 is such a huge game that you could do what reasonably feels like everything, but have still missed 20+ hours of content through unlikely dialogue choices or really well-hidden secret areas. Which is good.

Snake Maze posted:

I can't think of much a blind playthrough would miss, assuming that the player fills in the map and talks to everybody. There's small stuff (like failing the quest to steal the idol because you can't give it to Mol at the party), but the vast majority of stuff will work regardless of what order you do things in, you don't need to look things up to find the content. I guess a warning not kill Gortash at the coronation?

I THOUGHT I had done a very completionist first run. When I was done I started reading spoilers and realized I had missed a bunch of poo poo. Not even binary "you can get A or B but not both" choices, just whole significant areas of maps or NPCs or quests I did not know existed. And that is fine and cool and good. Made me even more eager to dive in for a second run.

EorayMel posted:

Unless it is attack rolls

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I have over two months of played time and I’m sure there’s at least a dozen hours of stuff I’ve never seen (and may never see - Karlach only gets a happy ending goddammit).

Let go of your Sonic the Hedgehog find all the rings compulsions and enjoy the drat game.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
bumping into spikes sending illithid tadpoles everywhere

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Geekboy posted:

I have over two months of played time and I’m sure there’s at least a dozen hours of stuff I’ve never seen (and may never see - Karlach only gets a happy ending goddammit).

Let go of your Sonic the Hedgehog find all the rings compulsions and enjoy the drat game.

There is a bad ending for Aylin and Isobel that is so cruel and evil and vile that you couldn't make me pursue it with an over pressurized airsoft gun trained on my bare nuts. If I found out someone I knew did that plotline and it wasn't because they were doing a novelty Awful Choices Only Seventh Run thing I would probably take them aside and have an intervention, like I would think there is something seriously wrong with them. I will never see that content, I do not want to see that content.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

There is a bad ending for Aylin and Isobel that is so cruel and evil and vile that you couldn't make me pursue it with an over pressurized airsoft gun trained on my bare nuts. If I found out someone I knew did that plotline and it wasn't because they were doing a novelty Awful Choices Only Seventh Run thing I would probably take them aside and have an intervention, like I would think there is something seriously wrong with them. I will never see that content, I do not want to see that content.

exactly

It’s like, “what happens if you give Scratch back to the courier company?” gently caress if I or anyone I would ever knowingly talk to will ever know.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Geekboy posted:

exactly

It’s like, “what happens if you give Scratch back to the courier company?” gently caress if I or anyone I would ever knowingly talk to will ever know.

I do like that if you attack Scratch everyone in camp will murder you.

At least that's what I've heard, because we all know I'd never hurt the good boy. I even dismiss him in combat when I had him out exploring.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Medullah posted:

I do like that if you attack Scratch everyone in camp will murder you.

At least that's what I've heard, because we all know I'd never hurt the good boy. I even dismiss him in combat when I had him out exploring.

Even the oathbreaker knight doesn't approve of hurting Scratch.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm attempting a multi-player game with 3 other friends next week, and I want to make a silly chaotic build. Is there any synergy with wild magic sorc and wild magic barb?

We've all played the game many times so I don't feel like min maxing anything, just something silly.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Geekboy posted:

i like to enjoy the game by playing the content. other people enjoy not playing it. people are different like that, and I think that's something to celebrate.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zodium posted:

i like to enjoy the game by playing the content. other people enjoy not playing it. people are different like that, and I think that's something to celebrate.

sounds like you actually prefer to enjoy it by reading the wiki about it

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm attempting a multi-player game with 3 other friends next week, and I want to make a silly chaotic build. Is there any synergy with wild magic sorc and wild magic barb?

We've all played the game many times so I don't feel like min maxing anything, just something silly.

Not much synergy what I can remember, but plenty of clashing mechanics. Stats that make barb good are stats that sorc tends to neglect and vice versa, can't cast spells while raging and can't do barb stuff while concentrating.

Perhaps there is an angle that mixes the two in a spectacular way, but methinks it's not worth it.

edit: for maximum silliness I'd say go full wild magic sorc, or barb/druid to become Faerun's angriest quadrupedal, or just plain bard. Bards are chaos elementals

Goatson fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 3, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

feller posted:

sounds like you actually prefer to enjoy it by reading the wiki about it

certainly more than I enjoy not playing the content. it's just not my thing. when I don't play the content, it's like I didn't play the content at all.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Then at least pull a wiki that’s accurate.

You’re reading to me as equally smug and wrong.

And I’m talking about binary choices sprinkled throughout that you can’t possibly see both of in one go. The game is packed with them and it owns. Each companion has multiple. Whether you save or doom the grove has multiple different outcomes you can never see all of at once. Whether you’re the dark urge or not.

What makes the game so easy to play and replay ad infinitum is how many choices you can make and how much of an impact they have on how the game plays out.

You bought the game. Do what you want. You just don’t sound like you’re enjoying yourself nearly as much as chaos goblins like Devora Wilde are.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
You can help Barcus Wroot on his game long quest to redeem the soul of the Ironhand Gnomes, OR you can teach him how to fly.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i think you are confusing "i would not have as much fun playing the game like that" with "you are not having as much fun playing the game like that."

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zodium posted:

i think you are confusing "i would not have as much fun playing the game like that" with "you are not having as much fun playing the game like that."

i think you're confusing your dumb posts with good ones

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I once read a paper that held forth a position I've thought about a lot in the intervening years: "a game is a broken machine." This may not be universally true, but it's true often. You begin a game, and it has mechanics you haven't mastered, unlocked, or understood yet. There are inefficiencies and problems and roadblocks. The enjoyment comes from repairing that machine; you smooth the relationships, you unlock and create responses which better contend with the inefficiencies or roadblocks.

An easy example is a Metroidvania. At the start, you're a lovely, slow, weak little peon with no double jump, and by the end you are a divine wind with full command of the space. RPGs start you as a flimsy little dork with nothing but the option "Attack (Poorly)," and over time you develop the complexity of levels and skills and builds and load outs and team comps that make you feel like a hyper competent switchboard operator, confronting a problem and plugging in the macro that best addresses it.

I bring this up because I think that some people like to approach really complicated games such as Baldur's Gate 3 or Elden Ring and mine enjoyment from the feeling of dumping out all the Legos they offer onto the floor and rifling through them to see which pieces stuck to what in unexpected ways that give them the sense of "Aha!" that feels novel and clever, building their version of the completed machine messily and organically. That is the fun for them. Others see the giant tub of mixed Legos and think "I'd like to see a list of what's in this tub, because I'd like to build a well functioning machine, but I get really frustrated when I am looking for a piece and can't find it and don't even know if it's there anymore because maybe I used it in a dumb way already." Theirs is the enjoyment of building a Gundam model rather than a Lego Frankenstein spaceship.

These two modes of play often seem so inscrutable to each other as to almost feel like an insult to the other, even though they are both ultimately trying to fix the broken machine.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Snake Maze posted:

Last Light and Gauntlet of Shar are massive noob traps. Jaheria telling you that you could sneak in, the yellow circle saying you should check out moonrise, the waypoint right before the point of no return, the “are you sure?” prompt. Constantly ignored. I’m pretty sure Jack Trades sequence broke something by walking past the bridge in act 3.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

I once read a paper that held forth a position I've thought about a lot in the intervening years: "a game is a broken machine." This may not be universally true, but it's true often. You begin a game, and it has mechanics you haven't mastered, unlocked, or understood yet. There are inefficiencies and problems and roadblocks. The enjoyment comes from repairing that machine; you smooth the relationships, you unlock and create responses which better contend with the inefficiencies or roadblocks.

An easy example is a Metroidvania. At the start, you're a lovely, slow, weak little peon with no double jump, and by the end you are a divine wind with full command of the space. RPGs start you as a flimsy little dork with nothing but the option "Attack (Poorly)," and over time you develop the complexity of levels and skills and builds and load outs and team comps that make you feel like a hyper competent switchboard operator, confronting a problem and plugging in the macro that best addresses it.

I bring this up because I think that some people like to approach really complicated games such as Baldur's Gate 3 or Elden Ring and mine enjoyment from the feeling of dumping out all the Legos they offer onto the floor and rifling through them to see which pieces stuck to what in unexpected ways that give them the sense of "Aha!" that feels novel and clever, building their version of the completed machine messily and organically. That is the fun for them. Others see the giant tub of mixed Legos and think "I'd like to see a list of what's in this tub, because I'd like to build a well functioning machine, but I get really frustrated when I am looking for a piece and can't find it and don't even know if it's there anymore because maybe I used it in a dumb way already." Theirs is the enjoyment of building a Gundam model rather than a Lego Frankenstein spaceship.

These two modes of play often seem so inscrutable to each other as to almost feel like an insult to the other, even though they are both ultimately trying to fix the broken machine.

yeah I think that's broadly correct. i'm basically president business.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Who got sovereign glue all over Faerûn

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Everybody approves.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Some of us are just feral animals and chew the legos.