Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Ooh, good question.
I suppose they'd allow it though, since he gets away with everything else.
Or is that deadline up? poo poo I forget.
e: Yeah, I think he had until tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/Cindylu64957499/status/1775596857151906137

OgNar fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Pizza for paralegals!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

snorch posted:

Pizza for paralegals!
But when they arrive they're all trump brand pizza's.
Sad paralegals :(

So assume trump will resubmit his homework minutes before the deadline, and when it's marked it will still be wrong.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
"Let me put it this way....he spelled 'Yale' with a 6"

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
As someone who submits proposals to government procurement officers, I hope they hold him to every. single. requirement . on that bond form.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

OgNar posted:

Ooh, good question.

Did he need to give a financial statement for the Carroll bond or not since that was a civil suit between citizens? Seems like this could show how little cash he has, unless that statement doesn't go as in-depth as I think it would?

Also the statement is only for the government/NY, the public doesn't get to immediately see it unless a Freedom of Information request is sent for it?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

dr_rat posted:

But when they arrive they're all trump brand pizza's.
Sad paralegals :(

So assume trump will resubmit his homework minutes before the deadline, and when it's marked it will still be wrong.

No way, it'll be Pizza Hut's stuffed crust pizza, the one you eat backwards! And the thing that got him back in the public eye outside of just New York!

https://www.businessinsider.com/brought-to-you-by-podcast-btyb-pizza-hut-trump

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

OgNar posted:

Ooh, good question.

I read that they included a previous financial statement. Which makes you wonder if they are having trouble getting Barbara Jones to approve a new one?

Seems unlikely that he wouldn’t have included a current financial statement if he had one so seems unlikely that he’ll have one tomorrow.

Or, he does have one and it says he’s broke so he’s just not going to submit it and instead spend tomorrow posting through it?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Over in the Trumplols thread, there are a few recent posts/links that seem to indicate that it isn’t TRump’s financials that are lacking, but supports from Knight Insurance.

One lawyer (don’t have a solid attribution) posted yesterday evening that Knight isn’t licensed to write bonds in New York & that the defense has 10-days to respond to a challenge from by the AG (which AFAIK hasn’t happened yet).

Seems speculative at this point, but stay tuned for lols if Knight can’t underwrite this & it’s all an elaborate delay tactic

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It won't happen but if the bond is fraudulent they need to move immediately to default judgement, otherwise Trump bought another 10 days by making GBS threads on the courts desk and saying "I submitted my bond, onto appeals"

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1775697950657654794
Because of course MTG and Gaetz are dumb enough to continue employing Eastman

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cr0y posted:

It won't happen but if the bond is fraudulent they need to move immediately to default judgement, otherwise Trump bought another 10 days by making GBS threads on the courts desk and saying "I submitted my bond, onto appeals"

Particularly as, being two multi-billion dollar companies involved -in trumps case probably just on paper- and this being for such a large amount they should of easily been able to check this.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

McGlockenshire posted:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1775697950657654794
Because of course MTG and Gaetz are dumb enough to continue employing Eastman

"if you disbar me i'll lose income and suffer real consequences" kind of seems like the point of disbarment

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Dirk the Average posted:

And while not reality, this is a sound strategy in many games - money earned early on in the game is often more valuable than the same money later on in the game once resources become more available. Being able to get a massive leg up initially can be huge.

This is called time value of money and is true in pretty much any case, not just in gaming!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

"if you disbar me i'll lose income and suffer real consequences" kind of seems like the point of disbarment

It is, absent other considerations. But the six amendment has been read to protect both your absolute right to a lawyer and your right to, within reason, choose who that lawyer is. I don’t actually know the case law on the specific interaction between disbarment and criminal proceedings (since the one normally follows the other, rather than happening concurrently), but it’s not actually a batshit argument to say “i have willing clients and I’m using their fees to fund my ongoing criminal defence.”

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Murgos posted:

I read that they included a previous financial statement. Which makes you wonder if they are having trouble getting Barbara Jones to approve a new one?

Maybe it includes all the stuff he was convicted of fraud with, but he's refused to change the valuations of?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Trump successfully argued essentially that he shouldn't pay the full amount of his bond because that would require him to face consequences permanent enough to make him regret an action for once in his life, so that's where we are

Edit at below: Trump finally going down on the dumbest technical reasons does track with the worst timeline theory most of us have

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 4, 2024

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Maybe this is where they get him.
That he can't submit a bond for appeals because he is too dumb brained to submit factual valuations on his belongings.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So if it is a Friday 5:00 type deal, does he actually have until 9:00am Monday to submit with changes.

I would assume they'd probably allow that, just to at least appear reasonable. And then if he fucks up the second submission or just doesn't submit the application, no bond, so stuff starts getting sold? That seems to Jive with the flexibility the courts seem to be giving him so far. More than reasonable, but end of the day putting their foot down on his poo poo as he continues to gently caress up.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

Over in the Trumplols thread, there are a few recent posts/links that seem to indicate that it isn’t TRump’s financials that are lacking, but supports from Knight Insurance.

One lawyer (don’t have a solid attribution) posted yesterday evening that Knight isn’t licensed to write bonds in New York & that the defense has 10-days to respond to a challenge from by the AG (which AFAIK hasn’t happened yet).

Seems speculative at this point, but stay tuned for lols if Knight can’t underwrite this & it’s all an elaborate delay tactic

It makes 100% sense that the bonding company needs to submit a financial statement.

But the whole point of this bond is to protect the state from the continuing bad actions of a known bad actor during a prolonged appeal process. So it seems reasonable for the state to also require Trumps SFC showing that he’s good for the rest of it.

Maybe today will clear up the details?

Edit: the courts note to defile the corrected submission is ambiguous. It’s directed at Trump and seems to imply his Financials but who knows?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 4, 2024

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I can only assume the Trump attorneys didn't include updated financials entirely because there's something either incriminating or embarrassing in there. Almost certainly both.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

NYTimes has an article with the guy whose company posted the bond. It doesn’t exactly seem like a rigorous business decision.

quote:

Mr. Trump’s $175 million in cash collateral is being handled on his behalf by a brokerage firm, which could invest it and gain interest for him, Mr. Hankey said.

Mr. Hankey said he did not mind how it was invested as long as it could be liquidated into cash on short notice.

Mr. Hankey said he did not know the origins of Mr. Trump’s cash but believed it was all his money.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/04/...Share&sgrp=c-cb

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Hey, listen, he just came in with a briefcase with 175 million smackaroos, I just assumed it was his and didn't ask any questions. You know what happens to people who ask nosey questions in my line of work?"

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I seriously wonder if a bunch of bitcoin procured overseas was involved in this transaction.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Murgos posted:

Edit: the courts note to defile the corrected submission is ambiguous. It’s directed at Trump and seems to imply his Financials but who knows?

Well if it is directed at Trump, then I hope he gets a papercut.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Randalor posted:

"Hey, listen, he just came in with a briefcase with 175 million smackaroos, I just assumed it was his and didn't ask any questions. You know what happens to people who ask nosey questions in my line of work?"

"One of the eighteen duffel bags contained the festering remains of Jamal Khashoggi, but he assured me that was a mistake, not a threat."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cimber posted:

I seriously wonder if a bunch of bitcoin procured overseas was involved in this transaction.

All bitcoin activity is public, so if someone hastily accumulated $175 million of it and cashed out that would a) stick out like a sore thumb and b) probably seriously damage the bitcoin market because it's not that deep

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
You'd think at least one of the US security agencies would be watching trump related foreign payments like a hawk at the moment with him probably still have classified documents and being the exact type of person who'd try to sell them to overseas powers.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Randalor posted:

If it's a bond, doesn't that mean he only needed to give them $17.5m and they covered the other 90% on his behalf? Or is this not structured like a typical bail bond agreement?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fuschia tude posted:

If it's a bond, doesn't that mean he only needed to give them $17.5m and they covered the other 90% on his behalf? Or is this not structured like a typical bail bond agreement?

He had to show them he had the entire bond amount in liquid assets -money or shares that can be easily sold- so they knew they weren't getting stuck with property that would be hard to sell off/hard to properly evaluate actual selling worth.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Trump showed he had the full amount wrapped up in the most luxurious clothing money could buy, but if you're a drooling idiot they would all seem invisible. Mr Hankey the loanshark poop nodded and agreed they were the most brilliant, the most tremendous clothes he'd ever seen and put up the bond.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

probably 17.5M cash upfront, but then the remaining 90+% should be available in easily cashed in securities (stocks/etc) in case he forgets to show up or something and the company loses the bond.

Or maybe they'll send Dog after him...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Fuschia tude posted:

It varies by state but in most states you can negotiate basically whatever percentage you can get a bond company to agree with you on. So they could’ve accepted less than 10%.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just had a quick check and CNN has a quote from Hankey saying he ended up putting up all the money in cash:

quote:

At first, Trump planned to post a mix of investment-grade bonds and cash as collateral (80% bonds and 20% cash), Hankey said. Although Knight Specialty received the bonds and approved them, he said they were not posted in the end.

“Ultimately, he put up all cash,” Hankey said, adding that he does not know where the $175 million in cash that Trump posted came from.

Which seems pretty sus, as companies, particular ones like trumps just don't have that much cash lying around.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

It is, absent other considerations. But the six amendment has been read to protect both your absolute right to a lawyer and your right to, within reason, choose who that lawyer is. I don’t actually know the case law on the specific interaction between disbarment and criminal proceedings (since the one normally follows the other, rather than happening concurrently), but it’s not actually a batshit argument to say “i have willing clients and I’m using their fees to fund my ongoing criminal defence.”

Well, no. You can choose your lawyer if he/she is an actual lawyer, but I can't say I'm choosing Billy Bob Thorton as my lawyer because I like his acting style and I think he'd impress the court. If Eastman has willing clients he can hire them for non legal work, but..well...the point of disbarment is punishment for being a detriment to the legal profession.

John Eastman can suck a nut.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
How does putting up $175mil for a bond work? Like does someone literally bring in duffle bags full of cash like Saul Goodman did?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Charliegrs posted:

How does putting up $175mil for a bond work? Like does someone literally bring in duffle bags full of cash like Saul Goodman did?

Wire transfer, probably. You can move $175 million from your bank to theirs without opening yourself up to a cool badass armored car heist

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He actually just provided another 20 boxes of classified documents and said Iran was willing to pay that much for them.

Art of the Deal. :smugdon:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Tesseraction posted:

He actually just provided another 20 boxes of classified documents and said Iran was willing to pay that much for them.

Art of the Deal. :smugdon:
iran had agreed to 40 boxes.

Art of the Deal, baby! :smugdon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

haveblue posted:

Wire transfer, probably. You can move $175 million from your bank to theirs without opening yourself up to a cool badass armored car heist

Also makes the resultant SAR easier to file.