Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Started watching Three Body? Problem!

The introduction to the main characters is pretty drat dry. A race to see who can speak the most impressive physic terminology in a sentence, without really explaining anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of my biggest complaints about Dial of Destiny is that Phoebe Waller-Bridge's character is openly a profiteer who sells artifacts to rich assholes for their private collections, which makes her the villain in any other Indy film but here they never really explore that tension and she never really shows any regrets or concerns over that mindset. She just eventually is Indy's friend because she's the co-star of the film.

A more interesting film might have countered Indy's,"It belongs in a museum!" with a condemnation of colonialism and the legitimized theft of artifacts through institutions, but the film doesn't even appear overly interested in examining her trauma from her father's obsession, and leaves half-sculpted the idea of how that relates to her own mentoring of that young kid, or how Indy's grief over his son's death and guilt over her father's fate interact to make him give her more leeway than he might any other profiteer.

They also try to tug on the heartstrings by having Indy's close personal friend get murdered by the villain... a close personal friend we only discovered existed like 20 minutes earlier.

Crystal Skull, for all its many, many, many faults at least felt like an Indiana Jones movie.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Started watching Three Body? Problem!

The introduction to the main characters is pretty drat dry. A race to see who can speak the most impressive physic terminology in a sentence, without really explaining anything.

It’s improved from the book is all I can say lol.

I loved the show but I also love the book series

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

They also try to tug on the heartstrings by having Indy's close personal friend get murdered by the villain... a close personal friend we only discovered existed like 20 minutes earlier.

Like, if they were going to bring Sallah back for a pointless cameo, it feels like that would be way to do it.

Also Phoebe Waller Bridge's character (Indy's favorite god-daughter!) should be have been Short Round.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Chairman Capone posted:

Like, if they were going to bring Sallah back for a pointless cameo, it feels like that would be way to do it.

Also Phoebe Waller Bridge's character (Indy's favorite god-daughter!) should be have been Short Round.

Nah, it’s perfectly fine for Indy to have a new-to-the-audience goddaughter that isn’t just a name old fans recognize. That wasn’t a problem with the movie at all.

The problem was that the movie could never decide whether she or Indy were the main character and never fully committed to either.

Like… the film almost certainly would’ve been better if a) Helena was the clear main and Indy was the supporting character or b) Indy was the main as always and Helena was the new supporting. The former gives you a fun twist on the traditional Indy dynamics while also giving Ford something new to do with the character as he tries his best to mentor her. The latter is just a more typical Indy dynamic that you’d expect.

Honestly, the best part of DoD was the WW2 opening and the bizarre (though realistic? :shrug:) mention of Mutt dying in Vietnam because he was trying to piss off his dad by enlisting.

That second thing got several audible “what the gently caress”s and suppressed giggles from the audience in my screening. It’s such a bizarrely dark thing to spring on the audience and hang on the character just to explain why Karen Allen only had time to film one scene.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They'd never do it for a lot of reasons, but Harrison Ford in the Denholm Elliot role of a lovely and well-meaning academic who constantly needs to be rescued would have been a neat shake-up of the status quo given Indy is like 70-years-old in Dial of Destiny.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That second thing got several audible “what the gently caress”s and suppressed giggles from the audience in my screening. It’s such a bizarrely dark thing to spring on the audience and hang on the character just to explain why Karen Allen only had time to film one scene.

I don't think that was the reason, I think it was because the ending was originally going to be something completely different, test audiences didn't like it, and they wrote her into the reshoots for the new ending.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't think that was the reason, I think it was because the ending was originally going to be something completely different, test audiences didn't like it, and they wrote her into the reshoots for the new ending.

According to noted YouTube shithead and misogynist Doomcock, and categorically denied by people like Mangold and Waller-Bridge.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Chairman Capone posted:

I was being facetious but I also don’t buy that explanation at all.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timby posted:

According to noted YouTube shithead and misogynist Doomcock, and categorically denied by people like Mangold and Waller-Bridge.

I don't know who that is, but I do know the movie I saw.

The ending is Indy, who is wanted for murder by the US government, is in ancient Sicily dying from a mortal wound. He then gets punched unconscious by his goddaughter, and then wakes up back in modern day NYC, no longer dying or wanted for murder. That's incredibly lovely writing and an incredibly abrupt ending even by the standards of what's come before. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for something that rushed and lovely to have been done at the last minute, and I mean... there just might be a reason why Mangold would not want to be forthright about that, otherwise he might suddenly develop "creative differences" over the next Lucasfilm franchise movie he's directing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't know who that is, but I do know the movie I saw.

The ending is Indy, who is wanted for murder by the US government, is in ancient Sicily dying from a mortal wound. He then gets punched unconscious by his goddaughter, and then wakes up back in modern day NYC, no longer dying or wanted for murder. That's incredibly lovely writing and an incredibly abrupt ending even by the standards of what's come before. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for something that rushed and lovely to have been done at the last minute, and I mean... there just might be a reason why Mangold would not want to be forthright about that, otherwise he might suddenly develop "creative differences" over the next Lucasfilm franchise movie he's directing.

I saw the movie, too, and did it ever occur to you that the Butterworths are, in fact, incredibly lovely writers, instead of buying into gonzo conspiracy theories?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Timby posted:

I saw the movie, too, and did it ever occur to you that the Butterworths are, in fact, incredibly lovely writers, instead of buying into gonzo conspiracy theories?

I thought they just made syrup

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

oh jay posted:

Kissing should not be improv-ed and intimacy coordinators are a good, important thing.

Intimacy coordinators are great, but they serve at the whim of the studio, so they can never really ensure that scenes are safe for the actors.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

On my 4th rewatch of The Leftovers and my wife's first (she's finally hooked! AND SAD!) and noticed this in the fridge episode.
Surely its been pointed out before but immediate thought was to run here and tell a goon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, my favourite of the three is Jupiter Ascending. Just completely awesome, an Edgar Wright Burrows pastiche with tonnes of camp and and a great villain performance from Eddie Redmayne. Terry Gilliam cameos in a Brazil world sequence. There's the wedding sequence... I can totally see why others would hate it, but I had a blast.

Redmayne's acting was so terrible that he either must've done it intentionally to sabotage the movie or that he was directed wrongly...as a joke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09ckBIXZ044&t=5s

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Redmayne's acting was so terrible that he either must've done it intentionally to sabotage the movie or that he was directed wrongly...as a joke:

Nah, his performance owns and is perfect for what the film is doing (which is knowing camp).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah, his performance owns and is perfect for what the film is doing (which is knowing camp).

Someone should've told the directors and the other actors that. Redmayne's acting is bad, but at least he acts, unlike Mila Kunis who just recites her lines.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Phoebe W-B isn't a poor actor but it also doesn't matter. She'd have been given roles she's unsuited for or that they have to change to script to accomodate regardless simply based on Fleabag. And she's going to keep getting those roles regardless of how many bad movies she's in or how good her performances are. Because Fleabag.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I mean, to be fair, Fleabag is loving incredible v:shobon:v

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
She's really great but she's also really limited. Lotta charisma though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jerusalem posted:

I mean, to be fair, Fleabag is loving incredible v:shobon:v

Fleabag is loving incredible, but it's true she's not done anything even approaching it's low points since.

Mr & Mrs Smith was probably her best bet, but she left that and it turned out loving great without her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I was pumped to see what she'd do with Donald Glover, but the show ended up being great without her and I'm glad it was the show we got.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alhazred posted:

The funny thing is he later said he tried out for Kylo Ren and did exactly the same thing with a goofy accent.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm not defending bringing back Sallah for a pointless cameo (though I didn't hate it, providing some context for what Indy was up to in between movies), but bringing him back just to kill him would have been a cheap, manipulative move, and if they did that, people would have been calling it out as such. Though the Banderas role doesn't make much sense, I'll agree there.

As far as Short Round is concerned, I think I read Ke Huy Quan has no interest in playing that character again, and why would he? He's only just now finally gotten away from the typecasting. It would be a terrible move to play him again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

From Nine Inch Nails' new GQ interview:

quote:

And then there was the company With Teeth, which Reznor and Ross spent the last two years putting together, piece by piece, with the help of John Crawford, their longtime art director, and the producer Jonathan Pavesi. The idea was, what could they do that they hadn’t already done around storytelling? Some of that might take the form of examining Nine Inch Nails from yet another angle—“we’ve been working on homegrown IP around Nine Inch Nails, stories we could tell, and we’re working on developing those in a way that are not what you think they’d be.” (As in: not a biopic.) They also have a show in development with Christopher Storer, the creator of The Bear, they said, and a film with the veteran horror director Mike Flanagan.

Wonder if their TV show will actually happen this time and how it will compare to the Year Zero HBO show they had kicking around that never ended up happening.

The Bear is incredible, so that show's creator working with NIN is very exciting to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's looking like Skydance may end up acquiring Paramount via National Amusements acquisition.

https://variety.com/2024/biz/news/paramount-shari-redstone-skydance-ellison-national-amusements-1235958618/

quote:

The path forward for Paramount appears to be slowly coming into focus around a complicated deal that would call for Skydance to acquire National Amusements, which is privately held and controlled by Redstone. The enlarged Skydance would then acquire Paramount Global, which is publicly traded, in a two-step process. Paramount Global and Skydance have been business partners in film and TV production for more than 10 years. That familiarity is said to be a big factor in Redstone’s willingness to consider a transaction.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This season of American Horror Story continues to be weirdly good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Very funny that after being adamant that she would not return to X-Files after the last new season, Gillian Anderson now says she would be willing to make an appearance in Ryan Coogler's new series because "if he did it, it probably would be done incredibly well." Nice way to obliquely drat Chris Carter's terrible writing, haha.

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not defending bringing back Sallah for a pointless cameo (though I didn't hate it, providing some context for what Indy was up to in between movies), but bringing him back just to kill him would have been a cheap, manipulative move, and if they did that, people would have been calling it out as such. Though the Banderas role doesn't make much sense, I'll agree there.

As far as Short Round is concerned, I think I read Ke Huy Quan has no interest in playing that character again, and why would he? He's only just now finally gotten away from the typecasting. It would be a terrible move to play him again.

I mean, for Sallah, they brought him back but turned him into a guy stuck living in a cramped apartment driving a lovely cab for a living, they dumped on his character already. Bringing him back just to kill him for manipulative points is also better IMO than just killing him offscreen for manipulative points like they did Mutt, even though I know no one liked him.

Also Ke Huy Quan talked a lot last year about wishing he had been in Dial of Destiny to makes the fans happy and wanting to be in the Indy spinoff show that was in development but got canceled.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If Dial was filmed 1-2 years later, I firmly believe that it would have been rewritten to include Ke Huy Quan. He hasn't done anything for years and years when Dial was filmed. Post EEAOO? They'd have begged him to come back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

bull3964 posted:

It's looking like Skydance may end up acquiring Paramount via National Amusements acquisition.

https://variety.com/2024/biz/news/paramount-shari-redstone-skydance-ellison-national-amusements-1235958618/

Does this split paramount from CBS again?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Chairman Capone posted:

Very funny that after being adamant that she would not return to X-Files after the last new season, Gillian Anderson now says she would be willing to make an appearance in Ryan Coogler's new series because "if he did it, it probably would be done incredibly well." Nice way to obliquely drat Chris Carter's terrible writing, haha.

I mean, for Sallah, they brought him back but turned him into a guy stuck living in a cramped apartment driving a lovely cab for a living, they dumped on his character already. Bringing him back just to kill him for manipulative points is also better IMO than just killing him offscreen for manipulative points like they did Mutt, even though I know no one liked him.

Also Ke Huy Quan talked a lot last year about wishing he had been in Dial of Destiny to makes the fans happy and wanting to be in the Indy spinoff show that was in development but got canceled.

There was never an Indy spinoff in development, that was all clickbait horseshit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

God I hope so because that would be the funniest outcome.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

GreenNight posted:

If Dial was filmed 1-2 years later, I firmly believe that it would have been rewritten to include Ke Huy Quan. He hasn't done anything for years and years when Dial was filmed. Post EEAOO? They'd have begged him to come back.

This is 100% correct. He would of been in the PWB role if they had made it post his resurgence.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

Googling around, I clearly imagined what I posted about Ke Huy Quan not wanting to play Short Round again. My mistake.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
can’t wait for the indiana jones reboot starring timothee chalemet

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think so since Paramount holds everything currently.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1776006277593747626?t=lAuqr8dHSYsvfBhV2wywPg&s=19

I really hope this is a late April Fools joke

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Thank god for Chromecast, and the ability to disconnect my TV from the internet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Advertisers will stop at nothing to irritate people constantly all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s unrealized gains