Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

Maybe people are watching back seasons more or whatever but the two lowest years for Survivor season viewership are the 2022-2023 seasons, followed by the 2023-2024 seasons.

Wikipedia has the same-day ratings and +7 average viewership ratings. They've both fallen off a cliff.

I’m surprised that season 40 didn’t even move the needle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STING 64 posted:

they did go kind of medieval europe a couple seasons ago
kind of but they need to go whole hog and make it the theme

Survivor: Knights and Heroes

the theme can be literally anything, just do something...
and mix up the formatting!

STING 64 posted:

survivor is the hottest its been since its initial run in the early 2000s, despite complaints about perceived quality of the show. it's got more eyes on it now than any other point in the last 20 years.
I think comparatively, for network tv, it's indeed doing great.

i think the game of Survivor itself has had a lot of growth in popularity, between covid and netflix and like new generations getting into it as the great game it is. But I think today's show is just the lucky and hapless beneficiary of that, and is squandering some of that opportunity. Imagine if the US was putting out seasons like the last two Aussie seasons right now. So many people would be takling about it...

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 2, 2024

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The Survivor internet fandom bubble weirds me out. I know how ridiculous I am but some of those Reddit nerds take it to the point of unhealthy. It's easy not to have perspective on how popular it actually is or isn't.

That said, it's come up in a media studies course I'm taking more than once. Maybe the professor just liked being able to namedrop Parvati as a former student, but when he asked the class of Gen Z kids what was going on with their reality TV viewing more people than I'd think said Survivor and Big Brother. Totally anecdotal and unscientific, but it seems that enough people watch it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Propaganda Machine posted:

The Survivor internet fandom bubble weirds me out. I know how ridiculous I am but some of those Reddit nerds take it to the point of unhealthy. It's easy not to have perspective on how popular it actually is or isn't.

I have to unsubscribe from the subreddit between seasons, and I've considered unsubscribing this season because the more unhinged fans there have become the loudest voices.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well to be fair what other big reality game shows are on prime time tv? It’s probably all the same stuff that’s been on for decades.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I stopped going to reddit at all and has made every day since a little nicer. That sub was very extreme, the way they talked about everything felt too mean and heated for every topic. Very strange vibes compared to here where people post normal level reactions to the show.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah even in the UK the big reality shows have barely changed in over a decade, with the exception of Love Island and even that's getting on a bit now.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The subreddit was nicer when the most contentious opinions there were braindead takes about how seasons like Winners At War and Worlds Apart are Good Actually

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah these days I have to go to the NMD pop music thread for that kind of braindead take.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The subreddit is awful. Half the takes are "new era bad, old seasons good," but with such a high frequency and like, weird devotion. The funniest one was someone pulling a quote about how Jeff didn't like filming in Fiji for Season 14 and using that to justify Fiji bad.

They also like, looooove to get weirdly devoted and defensive around specific people. Soda called Venus "stickbug" and they're very mad about that. Without knowing if that's an endearing nickname, if Venus was cool with it, etc. It's lovely.

mp5 posted:

Worlds Apart are Good Actually

A take so true that even the braindead can get behind it 😌

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

This post is good tho

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Invalid Validation posted:

Well to be fair what other big reality game shows are on prime time tv? It’s probably all the same stuff that’s been on for decades.

Maybe, but there's variety. Drag Race, Real Housewives, The Bachelor/ette, The Challenge, Below Deck, and now they have this Deal or No Deal Island nonsense. I can't wrap my head around that one and I don't want to.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I like the Special Forces show.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

90 Day Fiance and all its associated mail order bride shows seem like a full cultural phenomenon to an outsider like me.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Even that show is a decade old.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Another Bill posted:

90 Day Fiance and all its associated mail order bride shows seem like a full cultural phenomenon to an outsider like me.

Sometimes you need to watch the worst people ever get into awful relationships and then get into a big fight

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/outplaypuzzles/status/1775566083061137703

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s real lovely but don’t just tell someone how to run your whole business.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I had a feeling as soon as I saw his shirts pre-game that my man was gonna Enterpreneur real hard off his reality TV time, lol

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

mp5 posted:

I had a feeling as soon as I saw his shirts pre-game that my man was gonna Enterpreneur real hard off his reality TV time, lol

He also runs a pay subscription on Instagram where he sells access to thirst traps.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

OnlyCarsons

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

That’s real lovely but don’t just tell someone how to run your whole business.

It's really lovely and don't take advantage of someone who wants to work with you and doesn't know you're hoping to steal from them because you shouldn't do that.

Shaming people for being taken advantage of by opportunists sucks rear end. The problem here isn't that he shouldn't have shared information, that is the best thing humans ever invented to do and we should do so whenever possible or helpful. The problem is a greedy turd boy acting like a shithead weasel.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I assume everyone that goes on survivor has a little bit of greedy turd in them. Otherwise they’d just do naked and afraid.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Pinterest Mom posted:

He also runs a pay subscription on Instagram where he sells access to thirst traps.

NASSA

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

loving fake merge rock draws man

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The amazing race commercials make me hate the show even more.

Edit: Also, who thinks Mo is a threat? Am I missing something? She really doesn't seem to have done anything after week 1 AFAIK.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah it’s weird in the superfan era to decide someone is a threat because they’ve seen all the seasons.

Honestly Venus made some good points and I think she’s right that Charley was a better target but I also think she pushed too hard and played herself out of the game. I’ll be annoyed if so though that we got so much Venus content

:lol: Mo going live TC reveal, very little very late

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Q’s got some real bad pinkeye in the right

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
It seems like the shot in the dark wouldn't be worth it with these tight of numbers.
Edit: Maybe not.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The last second info dump at Tribal is never a good sign

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mp5 posted:

Yeah she might’ve had a shot if she revealed it earlier given that she was targeted for green being so tight. Like, nice of them to try to protect her but it scared everyone off

Thinking it went: targeting Mo to break up green > Venus tries to change it to Charlie and it starts to turn against her particularly with Q > Hunter turns it back to Mo in that beach conversation > Mo knows going in that it’s her and starts the desperate measures

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
These last two eps have been good stuff, really enjoyed tonight. Also I think that drone shot leading into the challenge is maybe the best I can recall

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

mp5 posted:

that seemed real dumb, from the edit at least it looks like that sealed her fate

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This episode definitely felt like a turnaround for me. I was even kind of liking the purples at least until Q defaulted back into his very unearned “here’s how you play the game” attitude. Tiffany and Kenzie both seemed like they did a better job just kind of playing “not me”.

Which I do think is how these first tribals tend to go. And Venus was certainly overplaying trying to push an agenda instead of just trying to save herself. Mo definitely just trusted Sigma too long and probably should have scrambled even before the challenge instead of just trusting the “devil she knew”. Don’t stay on the bottom. You don’t have to turn everything around and have a new alliance in one vote. Just shake it up enough to better your position. Or at least give yourself a chance too.

But I only just realized the tribes outfits were color coded. So don’t listen to me. I’d be bad at this.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

The amazing race commercials make me hate the show even more.

Edit: Also, who thinks Mo is a threat? Am I missing something? She really doesn't seem to have done anything after week 1 AFAIK.

Threat means "person who I don't care if they're voted out".
Do well in challenges? Physical threat.
Do badly? Clearly they're a social threat.
Are they totally isolated socially? Their strategy must be wild
Is their strategy absolutely not working? Hello, Jake from 45.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

One thing I’ve learned the past few seasons is that everyone is a threat no matter what they do. My boy is eating sand? gently caress that guy he knows how to really survive!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Stop casting threats to take care of this pervasive threat issue.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Studio posted:

Threat means "person who I don't care if they're voted out".
Do well in challenges? Physical threat.
Do badly? Clearly they're a social threat.
Are they totally isolated socially? Their strategy must be wild
Is their strategy absolutely not working? Hello, Jake from 45.
i mean if you lowered your own threat level you prolly would have been able to regroup with kdowns and me in Wandering Woods, i dont think the logic is unsound

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

STING 64 posted:

i mean if you lowered your own threat level you prolly would have been able to regroup with kdowns and me in Wandering Woods, i dont think the logic is unsound

Don't remind me :cry:

That said, Survivor TV show tends to use it in a lot of... unexplained ways, where it really means they're a target. Allison in DvG is my favorite example of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

One thing I’ve learned the past few seasons is that everyone is a threat no matter what they do. My boy is eating sand? gently caress that guy he knows how to really survive!