Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Space Jam posted:

Star Trek: it’s like a space submarine tv show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

sorry, but a sexy person with no personality is at best an acceptable gogo dancer. maybe an ok third if phlox wants to spice things up

naem
May 29, 2011

First of May posted:

I'm still sad ENT got pulled just as it was getting good.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
The romulan war would have made it all worth while.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

The romulan war would have made it all worth while.

Would love to know how scrappy underdog Earth beat the Romulan Star Empire in a head-to-head matchup.

I bet the answer involves friendship, science, and a little bit of luck ;)

naem
May 29, 2011

Endless Trash posted:

Would love to know how scrappy underdog Earth beat the Romulan Star Empire in a head-to-head matchup.

I bet the answer involves friendship, science, and a little bit of luck ;)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

First of May posted:

Yea, that's one of the best parts of ENT, is you watch Archer become the kind of captain that everyone's used to. Picard starts off being a top shelf Starfleet captain. Sisko is about the only other captain you see do any kind of growth, but there's not a ton there.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I guess you get to see it with Kirk in the Kelvin movies

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022

TrashMammal posted:

also trip was the only fuckable person on that ship

This is a posting crime

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Mulaney Power Move posted:

No there was one ep with an alternate timeline where he wakes up with amnesia to learn he got a brain injury and the Xindi end up blowing up Earth because T'Pol made a bad decision in his place. I think she rammed a ship and they lost warp so they couldn't stop the Xindi from reaching Earth. Anyway I thought she also revealed they are married but that was just my imagination and would be pretty weird on T'Pol considering his condition lol

:stare: I don’t remember this at all

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

:stare: I don’t remember this at all

It was part of the temporal coldwar thing. T'pol had long hair and everyone was living in houses made from space containers.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

It was part of the temporal coldwar thing. T'pol had long hair and everyone was living in houses made from space containers.

Also I think they were settled in the Ceti Alpha system from Star Trek 2 so the humans were screwed no matter what in that timeline lmao

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

CainFortea posted:

Its called twilight. They are hiding and rebuilding on ceti alpha V so without the plot cure they have like 100 years at best.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I think this is the real answer, but he never had his own show, so I’m not sure it counts.

If Frakes is directing, I think he outranks captains now

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Pike even fucks when hes in the beep beep chair

4 beeps means hes horny

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
beep means gently caress, everybody knows that from television

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kesper North posted:

beep means gently caress, everybody knows that from television

He's perfectly capable of speech, the chair just censors profanity due to Starfleet linguistic guidelines for admirality.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Zefram Cochrane blasting a Vulcan was extremely funny.

Also this new theme, while corny, is still better than that horrible rear end poo poo I've been listening to before.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

First of May posted:

My impression is that while, yes, Archer starts off as a whiny nepobaby that his experiences were slowly turning him into an ideal Starfleet captain and frontier diplomat. Maybe if the show ran longer we'd see more of that evolution. Maybe he would even come to appreciate why the Vulcans were so hesitant about humanity getting out there instead of being mad about it. The fact that he was mad about it was why the Vulcans were worried, but they underestimated humanity's ability to grow and mature when exposure to new ideas and cultures.

That would've been a great direction to take Archer's character. In season 1.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

naem posted:

streaming/ the netflix-ification of series now means 8 episodes a season that can all be good, and if they need to take a year off before season three while people go film movies or have kids or raise funding they just do

how often does that actually happen lol

naem
May 29, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how often does that actually happen lol

maybe it was just covid but it happened a bunch where they were like “more seasons coming at some point maybe a year or two unless we get bored or someone gets a better paying gig”

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

naem posted:

streaming/ the netflix-ification of series now means 8 episodes a season that can all be good, and if they need to take a year off before season three while people go film movies or have kids or raise funding they just do

vs 26 hour long eps a year and half the cast are being illegally harassed nonstop for the 16 hour a day production run while some horrible rich fat guy in the background leers at everyone going YES, YES DAMCE MY PRETTIES MUU HUU HAA HAH

I'm watching Stargate SG-1 right now and about 5 percent of the episodes are great, 25% are good, 20% are ok, and %50 are bad

And you know what? That's the way I loving like it

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I'm done with ENT. The finale was something. It's probably been hashed out a million times but it felt like hey this is a star trek show and remember how good TNG was?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Seems like you watched the episode after the finale as well

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Zefram Cochrane blasting a Vulcan was extremely funny.

Also this new theme, while corny, is still better than that horrible rear end poo poo I've been listening to before.

The best part of the Mirror opening is that if you watch the clips that are used, you've got a submarine from Hunt for Red October blowing up a submarine from U-571

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not the first thing from Hunt for Red October to be used in Star Trek!

(Jeffries tubes are made out of stolen bits of the October sets)

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Also I'm pretty sure Undiscovered Country is based on an early draft of Red October. Weird how Tom Clancy knew so much about Klingon tech.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

:lol:

But also :(, poor Russian Sam Neil.

Also Gates McFadden portrays a doctor and wife of a military officer named Jack and has a son named Jack Jr.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

naem posted:

vs 26 hour long eps a year and half the cast are being illegally harassed nonstop for the 16 hour a day production run while some horrible rich fat guy in the background leers at everyone going YES, YES DAMCE MY PRETTIES MUU HUU HAA HAH

I regret to inform you that this is a myth, Netflix shows are just as grinding. Jenny Ortega was flown to Romania and then worked 14 hr days from Sept 2021 to Mar 2022.

I mention Romania bc Netflix is notoriously cheap and part of it's keeping production costs down is doing this bit where they send the whole production to Eastern Europe to film, getting people to work insane hours because there's no union to tell them to stop. The talent gets shipped over to a place they don't speak the language, but it ends up not mattering too much since their days are so long they never get to see anything but the inside of the hotel bar.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'll say this that Schism is a drat good episode of TNG. Real creepy and good.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The holographic table recreation scene is pretty :lol: as the computer makes a lot of assumptions.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's also, like, the worst way possible to reconstruct a lost memory accurately, it'd just be really good at letting people create fake ones they think are real, but it makes for a compelling scene so who cares.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The best way to construct a memory accurately is to have someone pointing a phaser at you and then you shout "Remember who you are!!!"

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

A really surprising amount of mental health and brain issues can be resolved by giving the person a concussion.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Simply ask them how many lights they see.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

naem posted:

maybe it was just covid but it happened a bunch where they were like “more seasons coming at some point maybe a year or two unless we get bored or someone gets a better paying gig”

I really meant more the “all eight episodes are good” aspect

like lol come on look at how hard Westworld poo poo the bed in the second season (they decided the security guy was a secret cylon the night before they filmed the scene!), or the way Benioff and Weiss completely crashed and burned on Game of Thrones, or, more on topic for this thread, any season of Picard

hell Sherlock did three episodes a turn and still completely disappeared up its own rear end lol

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

the admiral uniforms in enterprise look loving awful. i know they’re supposed to be a transition between navy admirals and starfleet ones but the tie makes them look ridiculous.

e: also goddamn this show can be horny for t’pol sometimes

Space Jam fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 4, 2024

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I really meant more the “all eight episodes are good” aspect

like lol come on look at how hard Westworld poo poo the bed in the second season (they decided the security guy was a secret cylon the night before they filmed the scene!), or the way Benioff and Weiss completely crashed and burned on Game of Thrones, or, more on topic for this thread, any season of Picard

hell Sherlock did three episodes a turn and still completely disappeared up its own rear end lol

If seven episodes string the audience along for the eighth and the eighth shits the bed, the audience will remember seven mediocre episodes and one terrible one, but the C-suite will remember eight episodes of high audience engagement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Evil Archer in the mirror universe episodes with his Trent Reznor rear end hair