Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Desumaytah posted:

Godzilla absolutely should be a wife guy for Mothra. It's the most perfect evolution of the silly side of his character. Get him married in Jules Verne Mordor. gently caress it.

I mean, he basically is already. I'm just waiting for the double-date with those two and Kong and Shimo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The first issue of Godzilla vs. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers II was released today.

Could not resist getting the issue after seeing a cover with Godzilla fighting Megazord. The first issue was insane and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you’ve seen the last like 3 movies outside of Godzilla 2014 and Kong Skull Island. You knew what you were getting into.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Exactly. I understand people like to be a part of the conversation but I just think it’s a waste of time and money to see something you know you’re going to dislike.

poo poo ain’t changing in the legendary front. But hey good news is Toho is back and they’re making very great Godzilla movies too. Just wait for those.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

And this one’s on track to make a bajillion dollars so don’t expect much to change either.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If anything I'm mostly disappointed that Skar King had a magic "control ancient kaijus" rock and basically only used Shimo as a guard dog and sometimes brought him out so he could ride him around like a pony when there's so much more crazy poo poo they could have done with that set up

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Calico Heart posted:

I saw Godzilla x Kong while high as gently caress and instead of it enhancing the viewing, it put me in an incredibly sobering state of mind that heavily impacted my viewing experience.

I could not stop thinking while watching the movie that I am pretty sure this film represents a new low bar in just how loving stupid an entire film with hundreds of millions of dollars behind it can be.

Hear me out; I know stupid multi-million dollar movies have existed in the past. I am not some alien to whom this information is brand new. However, this film legitimately feels like it was either written by an AI or by a human being who holds active contempt for the audience. The stupidity is not celebratory or fun. It feels stupid for the exact opposite reason; this movie was assembled on a factory line.

I think it was during minute 35 of the I think 100 minutes of ugly apes vaguely gesturing at each other I realised this. This is a movie written by someone so lazy and stupid they decided what they needed to do to grip audiences was give King Kong a loving character arc. Almost every single line of dialogue in this movie is a character delivering exposition, 50% of the time explaining something we just saw. It's a movie where Mothra is the good monster so she glows and makes cute noises, in case you loving morons in the audience needed a hint. If someone had a job working on this movie, they did it as quickly as possible and with as little effort as possible. It generally hits the bare minimum beats for what even constitutes a movie.

It's like if a studio's homework was to make a Kong/Godzilla movie and they only remembered the hand-in date was tomorrow the night before. I know these are a lot of words but I genuinely was having a somewhat existensial experience on the state of film watching this movie.

Had this exact same experience watching Godzilla vs Kong. It really hit me how much of the movie didn't actually exist, and how long would go between characters interacting with each other, or the audience. You'd have 15 minutes of CGI and then Skaarsgaard would be like "hold onto your butts" and then 10 more minutes of CGI and then Skaarsgaard would go "we're here." And it was entirely unclear if the actual humans who appeared in the movie actually knew or even needed to know what was happening.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

IMB posted:

Had this exact same experience watching Godzilla vs Kong. It really hit me how much of the movie didn't actually exist, and how long would go between characters interacting with each other, or the audience. You'd have 15 minutes of CGI and then Skaarsgaard would be like "hold onto your butts" and then 10 more minutes of CGI and then Skaarsgaard would go "we're here." And it was entirely unclear if the actual humans who appeared in the movie actually knew or even needed to know what was happening.

lmao come on

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

IMB posted:

You two are making the rest of us reasonable complainers look bad, stop it

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

letthemfight.jpg

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

When prepping to watch GvK last week, I looked at the cast list to see if there was anyone I recognized. I saw Skarsgård's name and thought "awwww gently caress, it's that twat from Sons of Anarchy" and then I had egg on my face when I realised it was Brad "Iceman" Colbert from Generation Kill.

He's a much better actor than Charlie Hunnam

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You two are making the rest of us reasonable complainers look bad, stop it

I mean it didn’t make me hate the movie or anything. They’re fine and I liked it, and my son loves them so they’re fun to watch together and think about how obsessed I was with the old Godzilla movies when I was little. It was just funny weed thoughts I had while rewatching it one night.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Y'all might want to re-think who you're buying your weed from.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not the weed it’s their diseased mind

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
GxK was fun, the best parts were Kong throwing around mini Kong like an improvised weapon and Godzilla suplexing Kong. Way stupider poo poo has happened in much older Godzilla movies. If you want a deep, thinking man's Godzilla with a better plot, watch Minus One. GxK and recent Monsterverse movies don't pretend to be deeper than being silly action movies about big monsters fighting each other and that's fine! Both kinds of movies are enjoyable for different reasons and they can coexist!

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

CelticPredator posted:

Exactly. I understand people like to be a part of the conversation but I just think it’s a waste of time and money to see something you know you’re going to dislike.

poo poo ain’t changing in the legendary front. But hey good news is Toho is back and they’re making very great Godzilla movies too. Just wait for those.

Thing is, I had a great time with KOTM and GvK, and I feel like GxK really failed to deliver even on the level of dumb entertainment. All I ask of these movies is that they make the kaiju look really big, and have a showdown with a suitably epic villain at the end. GxK failed on both counts!

I don't care about the other plot holes like Mothra respawning, those things are fun to point out but wouldn't spoil the movie on their own.

Anyway the mrs. wants to see it again in the cinema so I probably will lol.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, speaking of engagingly dumb Godzilla, I finally got to Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla in my runthrough of all Godzilla films.

It's definitely an anime-rear end Godzilla film, even by Godzilla standards. You got the plucky pilot who doesn't want to be a desk jockey, the widowed brilliant but eccentric scientist with a precocious daughter, the bitter rival with a personal grudge, and a ridiculous superweapon. Better, you have people talking about the "Bill to create an Anti-Godzilla Superweapon" and wearing baseball caps with Mechagodzilla on them.

Seriously, I love people talking about giant monster nonsense with the most serious tone.

On a wider scale, the protagonist feels like the writers trying to make the Godzilla Vs. Megaguirus protagonist work, going with someone kind, but quietly bitter and self-loathing, as opposed to just being a jerk, and giving her opposition to struggle against within the organization instead of just putting her in charge.

That said, it's got a bit of a weakness in that it's an incomplete ending. The JSDF beat Godzilla, but they didn't kill him or decide they can't kill him. It's a tie ending, even if it wraps up the protagonist's arc, and that's awkward. Still, lots of very nice pyrotechnics. Millenium gets much worse.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
for people that have seen the movie, does kong try to talk to godzilla with sign language?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nope. Not remotely

The closet thing so when kong is like this as Godzilla charges at him
🖐️🐵🤚

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
that sucks, i wanted more of kong trying to talk godzilla out of punching him

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm P sure Kong understands punching is the language Godzilla understands

Again they are shonen rivals basically

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Kong does try to communicate with Godzilla; he only uses sign language with the little girl, not anyone else he's communicating with.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GxK takes the Martha joke to its logical conclusion.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No it doesn’t

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Yeah, not really, seeing as Mothra is already alive. I mean, I suppose you could argue she takes the place of Lois in that scene buuuuuut that's quite a stretch

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
can't believe both godzilla and kong's moms were named martha

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bruce Timm vibes from the Legendary one somehow.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nah, Tristar has the Bruce Timm chin

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bruce Timm vibes from the Legendary one somehow.

It's the square jaw, triangular eye and (relatively) buff torso, very DCAU. Thought both it and Tristar have the head down.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just watched Space Monster Wangmagwi. A South Korean kaiju film that takes a lot of cues from Gojira. The titular Wangmagwi descends from a space ship, sent by space aliens trying to take over the world. There is a generic protagonist handsome guy, who is a fighter pilot. He spends most of the film flying around not doing much. His finance gets picked up by Wangmagwi like King Kong (which the movie references a little before) and she spends most of the film in his hand.

The real hero of the film is a kid that shows up half an hour into the film. He’s playing around in a random house he waltzes into after the owners flee. After he stops listening to Tequila on the record player, he puts on the radio and hears news about the giant monster in town. He picks up a kitchen knife and vows to kill the monster. And by God, he nearly does it. Wangmagwi would have been unstoppable without that kid. Easily the most proactive, gutsiest child in a kaiju film.

The movie is also genuinely funny. Right in the middle of the rampage, the movie cuts to a duo doing an Abbot and Costello style routine while everyone around them are running for their lives.

The entire movie can be found on YouTube, in excellent quality too. The sound is slightly delayed on this version though.

https://youtu.be/1gnrN1wvHQY?si=3qfcFtJc9KVdBofq

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

His finance gets picked up by Wangmagwi

Dear god, the Kaiju works for the Space IRS

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I saw it Thursday here. Like the rest of the Legendary ones it's basically harmless but very pretty fluff. Not remotely anything of depth of value but a very nice marshmallow Peep. No real notes against or for it. I've tried to see every Godzilla film released in theaters since I've had a car as an adult even if I had to drive 30-60 minutes to see them. (GvK and Shin respectively.)

Yes outside of any tiny or art house type showings that may have occured I've seen 98, 2000, 2014, Kotm, Shin, GvK, -1, and GxK in theaters. None of which I can say I genuinely disliked but I won't say all or even most of them were arguably good meaningful films. (That's just -1 honestly. It's the only one I can call a properly good movie. Most of the rest are just harmless fun. And one is a very bad Godzilla movie.)

But if I had to rank a quick top Godzilla stories list:

Minus One
54\Raymond Burr version
The Half Century War (IDW comic series. It should just be a movie dammit. It's great.)
Some of the Rex Summeral stories from G Fan

G Fan? Yes. One of the longest running fanzines in existence by a guy who has written at least one Godzilla coffee table lite type guide book around the time of 98 Gino. He also is a big force behind the usually yearly Godzilla convention and sometimes Japan tour thing involving our big radioactive boy.

Except there is a small problem with our fanzine editor writer guy from Canada.

He loves to put these kinds of dumb Boomer takes in every issue over the last few years.

And the context. Like.. WHY? He even found a way to jerk off ol Ronnie n pals in the most recent issue in an article about those old 60-70s 16mm or so home film projectors that you could get like 10 minute reels of stuff for back then.

I dunno but Kaiju n Toku stuff are an escape from direct politics though obviously there are tons of generally progressive messages or obvious but still plausible deniability call outs of recent events or not so recent ones. But not generally directly condemning nor praising any political group. Godzilla tends to do like good Sci Fi does when it's more trying to get a message across through slightly subtler ways.

I really wish he would stop it because I want to keep reading G Fan and not being annoyed by his very dumb takes. I would likely be annoyed by them even if they were on my side of the aisle. (Which is generally where Godzilla films seem to be usually at least by your average person's standpoint.)

But on to more positive things. Folks mentioned Godzilla models? It reminds me I need to finish up this one I've been meaning to dry brush and paint in scales of grey and white befitting the original era it was released in and has been mocking me for... Oh Jesus nearly 20 years now I probably have about that much time left in my life to get around to completing it:

Yes in the early 00s that I got at an Ocean State Job Lot in 05 for like 3 dollars they reissued the old Aurora Godzilla kit. Since it wasn't glow in the dark I primered it and gave it a black spray paint but haven't gotten around to the look I want him to have. Got a few places that need black paint where the spray never hit first too.

To the left is a recent 3d crystal puzzle kit of ol G as well that was quite a challenge to assemble given the pile of spines and the central body being a tube you overlap a bunch of bits that then has the outer skin parts attached. I kind of want to add a little paint to it too on the teeth and nails. I got it in December.

It's neat but it doesn't come with a construction guide at all but you can download a parts and hint page. Which didn't help me because I had already figured the kit out when I downloaded it. I just wanted to know exactly where to put all 20 plus spine parts. The sprue had numbers but that was it. A few of them just didn't feel like they had a correct spot.

(Yeah it uses Legendary font. But the design seems to be 84 more or less yet has GxK spines. So like the Aurora kit it's just a general Goji I guess? Looks pretty when light hits it just right.)

And let's end with most of my Kaiju\Toku DVD \ Blu Rays not counting Doctor Who which is British and Welsh Tokusatsu deal with it:

A couple times I've double dipped because I either forgot I bought it already or one film is in one set while not in another and so on. Like I have to hope I still have my VHS tapes of all the Kaiju stuff because I apparently don't have Destroy All Monsters in disk form. Until doing this picture today I wasn't aware of that. It happens I guess. And it also means I have extra disks to give away or something if I don't care about keeping a box set complete like the one with Rodan in it.

But hopefully I haven't put folks to sleep with some of my rambling and pictures of some of my Kaiju stuff. I've also got tabletop games, video games, books, comics, and obviously the odd toy here and there.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Good post but Shin Godzilla is still imo the best one

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Good post but Gamera 95 is still imo the best one

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Love that TGG Gamera collection, here's a very in depth review of the weirdness in that set: https://neovideohunter.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/tgg-directs-3-disc-gamera-dvd-set-review/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I have that 3D puzzle and some of the pieces were a pain in the rear end to lock in place.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I have that 3D puzzle and some of the pieces were a pain in the rear end to lock in place.

Why are you assembling puzzles inside your rear end

Edit: you know what, I retract that question. I'm happy not knowing

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

haven't watched any of the recent Hollywood Godzilla movies, might go see Godzilla x King Kong tomorrow though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

GxK was pretty enjoyable, light fluffy fair. But all I could think the whole time is about how badly we need a new fighting game like God:DAMM. The monsters are getting ugrades and weapons now, it's already very video game-y!