Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
John Hodgman as assistant would make me happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

There's actually six seasons of Taskmaster on Netflix UK for some reason, so I imagine that's definitely a possibility.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
My personal ranking after the first ep is
Sophie - just great
Nick - primarily for his costume
Steve - for legacy, hasn't shown much yet
Joanne - annoying at first, grew on me by the end of episode and could easily rise as series goes on

>>> John - boring gently caress, and listening to the podcast right now, this opinion has not been changed yet

Speaking of the podcast, bit of a hard listen this week. I'm actually still making my way through the back catalogue. But after almost 90 episodes, I've decided that Ed Gamble just isn't funny. If he doesn't have a good comedian on then the episode is dead.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

John Hodgman as assistant would make me happy.

now this is one that could work

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Doesn’t fit apple’s branding. I don’t see it.

Eh they seem to be pretty eager to expand and try new things regardless of branding. They just aired that silly looking Noel Fielding Dick Turpin show (which has Greg in it).

I don't think they've done any game or panel shows but I wouldn't put it past them to try it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
gah america is just so boring

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Quoting myself:

theflyingexecutive posted:

Mark Evan Jackson and Andy Daly

Andy Daly is probably already too expensive, but Nathan Fielder as the assistant (and writer) would be amazing.

TM gets to have the creative freedom it enjoys because it's dirt cheap to produce. The contestants are brought in on their free days to do tasks and for five days of studio filming. Even with that super low threshold, Alex will talk about comedians that they aren't able to afford.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Wungus posted:

Nah, with Joel McHale, you just don't break up the double act. Give him Ken Jeong as an assistant and you've got the safest possible choice for a mainstream adaptation.

I was thinking Ken as a contestant, especially given they already have a back and forth (like Rhod and Greg) and I could already see him having a "doctor" outfit during tasks.

Also, John Hodgman would also be a pretty good assistant, I could see him try and do the unnecessary wordplay and "they went six mongooses" distance measures.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

not a bot posted:

Why would the assistant have to be the main writer? That's the case for Horne but only because he came up with the whole idea. I think the NZ assistant has said they have a team and he contributes a bit.

I think you're in agreement they ought to be a bit of a writer - and here's why I think that's pretty important. Once the contestant has read the task, they may ask the assistant "will you do X for me", and they need to "write" the ruling on the fly. What I admire about Alex is his guiding principle in these matters always seems to be "what will make for a better show?". If it's better for the show for him to shut that down, he'll make some excuse that he was told not to, or can't, or won't. But every time it would make the show better to say yes, he says yes. A lot has been said about Alex's willingness to degrade himself for the sake of the show, and it's an extra mile on top of the good judgement - but I think he's due credit for his instincts about refereeing the tasks as well.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

My pick for the american task master is a plank of wood and the assistant is a bucket of water.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

Boxturret posted:

gah america is just so boring

but Conan

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Colbert for US Taskmaster. Hodgman for assistant

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Boxturret posted:

My pick for the american task master is a plank of wood and the assistant is a bucket of water.

hey it worked for new zealand

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Still loving Offerman, give him Paul F Tompkins as the assistant

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

As far as hosts, Alex has been transparent that he’s quite happy with how AUS/NZ has been handled, so I don’t see why they’d do it any different. We can theorycraft all we want but there is no shortage in America of rear end in a top hat-adjacent & geeky/subservient hosts to choose from.

Whole discussion started this round because Greg and Alex did an interview where they said they're actively interested in doing another US TaskMaster and that they themselves would enjoy being the leads.

One thing from the new season, it's noticeably older. You usually have have at least a couple contestants in their 20's-early 30's and here it's pretty much across the board late 30's to Pemberton.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Nathan Fielder would be amazing but given his last few shows I think it would start off as a normal TM season but then slowly turn into a tragic and surreal meta-narrative about our inability to undo mistakes once they are made. It would make every critic's end of year list and would never have a second season.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
as much as I like the speculation on a theoretical US series (Joel McHale as TM, Jon Hodgman or wildcard Griffin McElroy as assistant) there is a UK series on

thoughts so far:
Joanne - studio task especially shows she's got the gift of the gab and creativity to come up with some mad poo poo.

John - a Dara/Herring, clear from the episode he's a fan and student of the show. on the podcast, he reveals he basically did research before competing. Suspect boring but competent

Nick - clearly deeply unconformable being "himself" hence the costume. delightfully awkward in a way we've not seen since Joe Thomas?

Sophie - clearly absolutely bonkers, background in theatre, cabaret and stand up so creative tasks going to be class. saw a flash of this in the first team task where her painting was fantastic despite not having a clue

Steve - didn't expect the puns! one of the UKs best comedy writers so expecting some insanity in those tasks that play to his strengths. clearly very comfortable going toe to toe with Greg

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

As lovely as it is to say that John Robins was funnier before he stopped drinking, it's also true.

He is good friends with Alex though and I expect we'll see some tasks specifically designed to annoy him, and he's always best when genuinely annoyed.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
The real question is whether Alex can set anything which proves to be more aggravating than choosing to pair him with Sophie Willan...

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

theflyingexecutive posted:

Mark Evan Jackson

I just realized you could take nearly any two actors from The Good Place as Taskmaster and assistant, eg Ted Danson & Kristen Bell

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I just realized you could take nearly any two actors from The Good Place as Taskmaster and assistant, eg Ted Danson & Kristen Bell

Jason is the Taskmaster? JASON? This is a real low point. Yeah, this one hurts.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Just booking some stuff at Machynlleth festival next month and every show by a Taskmaster contestant (and Paul Williams) is sold out. It must be a hell of a boost to a comedian's career.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Taskmaster - Dave Bautista
Assistant - John Cena

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Taskmaster - Frederic
Assistant - Claud

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Assistant - George Costanza
Taskmaster - Koko the monkey

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Junkenstein posted:

He is good friends with Alex though and I expect we'll see some tasks specifically designed to annoy him, and he's always best when genuinely annoyed.

After watching the NZ and Australia seasons that are up on YouTube so far, I feel like the UK version doesn't gently caress with the contestants on an individual level enough. "is good friends with Alex" seems a good way to lull someone into the necessary false sense of security, so hopefully they do something.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Quebec Bagnet posted:

After watching the NZ and Australia seasons that are up on YouTube so far, I feel like the UK version doesn't gently caress with the contestants on an individual level enough. "is good friends with Alex" seems a good way to lull someone into the necessary false sense of security, so hopefully they do something.

I think they do quite a bit? IIRC, Alex said he and Mark Watson are good friends, and they gave him that secret cheeky messages task (which turned out great in the studio).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqrxuHB3xTo&t=154s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EOG1LqiCPg

There's at least one of those in every series I think?

Edit: They could honestly sell that book as merch and people will buy it. Like a weird coffee table book.

itry fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 4, 2024

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

itry posted:

I think they do quite a bit? IIRC, Alex said he and Mark Watson are good friends, and they gave him that secret cheeky messages task (which turned out great in the studio).

There's at least one of those in every series I think?

The first five series had them- with a peak in season 5 with almost every contestant having something. After that, they've been very rare. Mike Wozniak's season 11 farting task is the only really invididual task- everything else has been asymmetric rather than individual.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Tonights episode is the one I was in the audience for. I've forgotten most of it lol. Sophie gets a redemption arc I remember that much, does way better on one task than expected. Should be a good ep

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Quebec Bagnet posted:

The flag-making task was tremendous for this.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Steve is too clever for his own good in the prize tasks, good lord.

Also big fan of John Robins' "Half-Man Half Biscuit" t-shirt in the studio, excellent obscure 1980s British rock/alt band to wear on prime-time telly, well done John.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah steve taking the rare strategy of "actually seriously try to win every prize task"

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm vaguely disappointed that nobody tried to take the whiteboard off the wall and put it on the floor :v:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Unsurprised it didn't make the cut but Greg questioned calling it "Elon Musk poo poo" because "he's not that clever is he, he's just a big horrible business man?"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I was certain they'd reveal that Sophie's star was actually hung up rather than stuck to the board and disqualify her. No way did two strips of tape hold that thing up.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
suppose you could argue semantics. When you hang a picture you might say you "stuck a picture up". get susie dent back on the case

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I'm vaguely disappointed that nobody tried to take the whiteboard off the wall and put it on the floor :v:
As you could have anything, I'd have asked for/found a roll of gaffer tape (the entertainment industry runs on it). Then I'd have ask the sound person to stand next to the whiteboard, and tape them to it (not Little Alex Horne. He's a bastard and would have walked away after 30 seconds)

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I mean you could just stick yourself to the board with that tiny piece of sellotape if you wanted to sell that logic to Greg. And honestly it does just say "stick the heaviest thing to the board" so presumably it would work.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Phigs posted:

I mean you could just stick yourself to the board with that tiny piece of sellotape if you wanted to sell that logic to Greg. And honestly it does just say "stick the heaviest thing to the board" so presumably it would work.

You'd have to be off the ground for it to count, I imagine. And it didn't look sturdy enough to support the weight of an adult human hanging off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The card just says remaining stuck to the board, I think it's a winnable argument.