Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
The riot shield is actually kind of fun now that they improved the coverage and removed the T-pose bug. And, very important, being ragdolled doesn't make you drop the shield. Sure, having to use it with an SMG/pistol is a big opportunity cost, but I like the Defender.

Of course, being able to stand there and have a gunfight with anything that doesn't shoot explosives at you probably develops bad habits :v:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

sebmojo posted:

lol that's three times i've been winding up to throw a 380mm barrage and i got hit and dropped it RUN JUST loving RUN

Funny story. I haven't done a full test, but I just noticed tonight holding throw didn't seem to increase the thrown distance vs tapping the button.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sebmojo posted:

lol that's three times i've been winding up to throw a 380mm barrage and i got hit and dropped it RUN JUST loving RUN

Isn't it safer to stand on the beacon?

Psykmoe posted:

The riot shield is actually kind of fun now that they improved the coverage and removed the T-pose bug. Sure, having to use it with an SMG/pistol is a big opportunity cost, but I like the Defender.

Of course, being able to stand there and have a gunfight with anything that doesn't shoot explosives at you probably develops bad habits :v:

It's objectively inferior to the energy shield, but you can headshot devastators with the Senator so you can still do some work on lower difficulties.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

There's obviously some outliers, but I think the majority of the stratagems and guns are in a pretty good place right now. It doesn't feel like there's one best loadout for anything. Like if I get bored of Quasar, shield and scorcher, taking autocannon, sickle and more big bombs feels just as good in a different way. They have a very solid base game now, I can't wait to see what it's gonna be like in 6 months. I can see myself playing this for a long time.

And the flipside of no best loadout is I don't feel bummed or put out if I have to use other stuff that aren't my go-to's. If the planet or the mission or the difficulty or my teammates incentivize/necessitate taking different equipment I can always pick from stuff I like.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

sebmojo posted:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Section Z posted:

"The liberator of the shotgun world" loving ouch.

On that note, what is the Defender of the shotgun world? Asking for a friend.

The Punisher is good, the Breaker is also still good despite the early nerf. It's just that the Slugger was just as lethal as the Punisher from the hip at close range, but could reach out and touch an enemy at long range and also stagger them with body shots at any range besides. It wouldn't have been possible to balance the Dominator, Dilligence, Punisher, and Breaker against it, so rather than nerfing its damage or precision they just nerfed its stagger.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Had an odd moment last night where my brother and his buddy (on PS5) and I (on PC) got disconnected, but none of us left the mission. From their perspective I disappeared, and from my perspective I was suddenly running solo. I wrapped up the mission real quick and rejoined them back into the same mission I had just finished.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

It's objectively inferior to the energy shield, but you can headshot devastators with the Senator so you can still do some work on lower difficulties.

Speaking of the energy shield, before they adjusted rocket damage, a fully charged shield could soak two instant-kill rocket without even causing you to ragdoll.

Is it still two rockets per shield charge? I have no idea what the damage calculations are like versus what kind of material is being hit, so I don't want to assume how the rocket change affected rockets hitting the bubble.

And yeah, not being immediately ragdolled by a rocket, slowed by the first touch of a hunter, soaking unexpected damage from any direction and actually protecting against melee attacks are still superior use cases compared to the riot shield's 'have one surface that's immune to bullets, also you can't ADS' thing, but at least it's mechanically useable now and doesn't constantly glitch out when interacting with the world or drop out of your hand when you trip.

So you know, now that it's not unusable we can judge it on its merits :v:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'm all but certain that what was going on with rockets is that they were hitting multiple hit boxes and multiplying their damage. If so, in theory their performance against shields should be unaffected.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Psykmoe posted:

The riot shield is actually kind of fun now that they improved the coverage and removed the T-pose bug. And, very important, being ragdolled doesn't make you drop the shield. Sure, having to use it with an SMG/pistol is a big opportunity cost, but I like the Defender.

Im betting they will do few balance passes on the riot shield until it and the energy shield are sidegrades to eachother.

Or the illuminate will do massive extra damage to energy shields

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

sebmojo posted:

:captainpop: Thats gotta be the biggest oh poo poo moment you can have in this game tbh

Side note: A handful of times in bot 8s or 9s I saw people using 380s defensively to good effect. Honestly shocked tbh

Captainicus posted:

Playing against robots is fantastic now that rocket devastators don't one hit any more, it is a good day to spread democracy

They feel waaaay to weak now, the rockets made (some) bots actually a threat. Now you're out there sprinting through rocket devastators like its nbd

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Just fought my first AT-AT. They are nasty

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

Just fought my first AT-AT. They are nasty

What difficulty? Ran a Bot 9 set last night and saw none

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Risky Bisquick posted:

They feel waaaay to weak now, the rockets made (some) bots actually a threat. Now you're out there sprinting through rocket devastators like its nbd

Yup. i run medic armor with extended heal time and I can pop a heal and then plink devastator heads with a small arm, in the open, with zero fear that I'll have anything less than full health afterwards.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Are mines still instantly lethal? Asking the important questions.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

nope!

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

when's the new warbond coming out, anyone know?

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The energy shield is already balanced by being kind of bad. It makes people overvalue their backpack slot and drop into missions with one less offensive stratagem and weaker support weapons. More importantly, it slows the development of skills like survival sense and teamwork.

Whenever someone:
Wanders off from the team to go do their own thing
Hoofs two klicks to recover dropped samples from evac
Walks in front of my scope while I'm firing from a stationary position
Doesn't know they can just push the dive button to stop being on fire and then rushes off to Reddit to complain about how fire is totally an instant kill guys I swear
In fact doesn't dive or crouch or prone at all

it's always the dude in the energy shield.

I'll pick someone else's extra shield up if I've got nothing better to wear because it does do the job of making you die less, but it's really not worth multiple strategem slots across the entire team.

I don't feel the same way about the ballistic shield because it looks cool and not like a big pissy hover diaper. I don't care to reflect on this.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Good luck out there today Helldivers.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Doesn't know they can just push the dive button to stop being on fire.

Welp

Though I'ma be honest, I don't know how taking the shield or not would affect this particular piece of knowledge.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Oh... oh dear.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Cluster bombs are both extremely good and easier to not TK with on those defense missions.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Being on fire during an un-cancelable animation is instant death now. Even more so if you specifically keep a tick of damage for the stim sprint boosts when you need to get out of dodge.

Shield for bugs is still mandatory highly recommended imo for helldives, or you can try to make do with the laser dog but you have to choose specifically between these two. For bots I don't see the draw, nothing is slowing you so just use cover better.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The order won't be that big of an issue, and clusters are great on any difficulty, especially against bugs, but also against bots. Since they do explosive damage they clear out tons of trash and then still damage heavies, so hucking them into breaches or bot drops is always good.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Dandywalken posted:

What difficulty? Ran a Bot 9 set last night and saw none

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Shield's main strength is no flinch or interrupt, so its good for extending your peeks on bots. Or not getting ragdolled by a rocket while running to/from cover.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

Side note: A handful of times in bot 8s or 9s I saw people using 380s defensively to good effect. Honestly shocked tbh

yup, just did this last night on a bot 9 defense eradicate mission. squad figured that since we'd be dying a ton anyways, dont bring any support weapons or backpacks and instead go all in on orbitals and strikes

worked surprisingly well even tho we all died a ton. was a lot of fun too

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

hey mom its 420 posted:

when's the new warbond coming out, anyone know?

next thursday most likely

i'm surprised we didn't get a trailer for it today actually

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Energy shield is great for team reloads

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

NmareBfly posted:

Welp

Though I'ma be honest, I don't know how taking the shield or not would affect this particular piece of knowledge.

I might be talking about one friend I play with and generalizing that to the entire playerbase.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I'm pro shield on bugs, indifferent on bots. For people charging up their lasers, railguns :v: or whatever the flinch reduction makes sense.

Lets talk about deployable shields, who uses those?

Eason the Fifth posted:

Energy shield is great for team reloads
Something people might not know is that the single personal shield covers both people during team reloads.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I might be talking about one friend I play with and generalizing that to the entire playerbase.
Shield is really good for helldives, or rambos halving the mission time

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Personal Orders really need to be different for players. I don't love logging on going so, what's everybody using & abusing tonight?

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The energy shield is already balanced by being kind of bad.

Nah, the shield is great. It's a ton of extra regenerating HP, protects against slows, fire and flinches, and is even better against rockets after the recent damage reduction. It allows you to be extremely aggressive and really shines with light armour.

As an aside, I've been loving the Dominator on both bots and bugs. The extra stagger owns bones. Probably the best thing in the first premium warbond now and I'm finally feeling like it wasn't a complete waste of medals

Edit: I've also seen the new AT-ATs on 7. Is the belly a weakspot? I shot my quasar into its bot hole when it was deploying more bots and killed it, but it may have already been quite low on HP.

piano chimp fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 4, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Risky Bisquick posted:

I'm pro shield on bugs, indifferent on bots. For people charging up their lasers, railguns :v: or whatever the flinch reduction makes sense.

Lets talk about deployable shields, who uses those?

Something people might not know is that the single personal shield covers both people during team reloads.

Shield is really good for helldives, or rambos halving the mission time

Deployable shields against bots are actually really great. Is it as good as other stratagems? Probably not, but situationally it's very useful. In a heavy firefight you can use it to get a place of respite to chuck stratagems out from, and it lets you interact with terminals without fear.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Deployable shield is one of those things where I wouldn't want to spend a slot on it but I'd be happy to get it as a free stratagem.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The energy shield is a stupid crutch for big dumb babies and I refuse to bring it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nordick posted:

The energy shield is a stupid crutch for big dumb babies and I refuse to bring it.

I bring the jetpack to increase difficulty

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Darox posted:

Deployable shield is one of those things where I wouldn't want to spend a slot on it but I'd be happy to get it as a free stratagem.

I'd love if higher difficulties also came with more free stratagems to go with it. Maybe make a list of the least used stratagems and have them be the pool of free ones. Would be fun to get to play with stuff like the mines, lesser used orbital/airstrikes, and stuff like the HMG emplacement, at the cost of playing on the harder difficulties.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think free deployable HMGs would be the only time you ever see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

shield dome is also really nice when you frantically set hellbombs by those gunship towers. for both you and the bomb

jokes posted:

I think free deployable HMGs would be the only time you ever see them.

:ssh: HMG emplacement is extremely good against bots. It has enough pen to kill Hulk eyes