Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lostconfused posted:

Maybe they're trying to make regiments of renown more of a thing?

Or coalition armies. What if today's army rules only applied on the regiment level. So you could take a regiment of gloomspite with a regiment of Orruks ib your destruction army.

Goes back to the one decent thing about 1st ed AoS, the mission statement of "Collect the models you like, play with the models you own".

But I'm also getting the feeling of Regiments that play out like detachment. Where they'll give you like +2 rend or +8 range but you have to include this model no one is buying because the rules suck.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Feels like there's some weird contextual stuff between this and how Cities of Sigmar doubled down on exclusive keywords.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

It seems fairly simple. Too many heroes and you’re losing priority, too few and you’re losing priority and command points. Does seem to favour ‘elite’ armies and there’s not really much incentive to building ‘against the grain’ as it were. Wonder if manifestation lore is what endless spells are getting changed to

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Blasmeister posted:

Does seem to favour ‘elite’ armies

You can still reinforce units and take 3 (or sometimes 4) units per hero. I think that ratio is still in keeping with current horde armies, no?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Muir posted:

You can still reinforce units and take 3 (or sometimes 4) units per hero. I think that ratio is still in keeping with current horde armies, no?
Possibly though I think the heroes are gonna be the actual bottleneck. 5+ small foot hero type armies like skaven or FEC are probably gonna suffer (assuming the army style survives the indexing) compared to anything where big expensive heroes are favoured. Perhaps the ‘+1 hero’ on some characters thing will come into play to alleviate this.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 3, 2024

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
You say MESBG, I say total war three kingdoms

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
The removal of Battleline and tying certain heroes to certain groups of units seems interesting, but it could also potentially change how some armies are run dramatically. The removal of double reinforce alone is gonna shake up my Goblins. Also, it's weirdly ironic that AoS is removing battleline while 40K just added it as a keyword this edition. So, with 5 regiments of 3 units & 1 hero (+1 unit in the general's regiment), you basically have a max of 21 slots before having to dip into auxiliaries, if you can match all the keywords correctly. I guess this might also be a hindsight answer to "Why does GW love giving every faction pointless foot-heroes no one uses?" I hope they're not going to tie Hero abilities & auras to only effect units in that Hero's regiment.

All in all, don't hate it, but it really depends on the upcoming indexes. If some factions are forced to run lovely heroes to unlock their good units, this edition is going to suuuck for them. But I'm genuinely surprised they're stepping back more into the "This general unlocks X unit as battleline" sort of design space, after several editions of AoS & 40K have been making things more and more freeform.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 3, 2024

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

more liberators

Someone did a mockup with the old shields, looks decent

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hmmm not liking how normal thise liberators look, they dont have 'oomph' in the design, they seem like a normal suit of armor.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Al-Saqr posted:

Hmmm not liking how normal thise liberators look, they dont have 'oomph' in the design, they seem like a normal suit of armor.

I think a more subdued design works quite well for battleline troops, let's the more elite units really pop.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/04/whats-leaving-the-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-range/

With a new edition coming this obviously means that some older things are being moved into Legends.

And there's quite a bit of them too, like half of the SCE line from both 1st and 2nd ed, and Beasts of Chaos as a whole gets now moved over to ToW instead.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
oh the two war cries i was most interested in are getting canned rip cypher lords and corvus cabal

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You can still use their models to add variety to the new chaos marauders.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Sorta sad about all the Chaos Warcry warbands going away. It was neat seeing all the different kinds of Chaos-worshipping mortals that didn't necessarily align with just one god

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
no i will NOT rebase my beasts for tow gently caress you

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I know the Stormcast line was bloated as gently caress but this still sucks. I guess this shows the issue with having one faction that gets lots of new units every edition.

I also wish I could grab all those Skaven models to make an old world army but I do not have that kind of money :smith:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Removing BoC seems like a pretty big move. They've always been one of the things that made Warhammer Warhammer for me. I guess the writing was on the wall, though. Aside from the Tzaangors and Slaangors, all BoC got throughout AoS was the herdstone and a UW warband, wasn't it?

Still can't believe Kragnos was not the herald of a BoC refresh.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think there was a new Beastlord as well?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

peer posted:

no i will NOT rebase my beasts for tow gently caress you

This is so loving stupid. I've been running a league for three years and one of our most dedicated players plays BOC exclusively. This guy is just gone now.

Why the gently caress is GW against one of the factions being present in both OW and AOS? Sounds like a great way to make your product more appealing to customers.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

I think there was a new Beastlord as well?

oh yeah, forgot that guy

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
NO, not my Khagra

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Geisladisk posted:

Why the gently caress is GW against one of the factions being present in both OW and AOS? Sounds like a great way to make your product more appealing to customers.

But then you'd have to buy one army for both games and that wouldn't be profitable :)

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

*emerges from pile of chaos daemon minis* both games?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Winklebottom posted:

Removing BoC seems like a pretty big move. They've always been one of the things that made Warhammer Warhammer for me. I guess the writing was on the wall, though. Aside from the Tzaangors and Slaangors, all BoC got throughout AoS was the herdstone and a UW warband, wasn't it?

Still can't believe Kragnos was not the herald of a BoC refresh.

they're VERY warhammer but I could see why they would want to hard break it off if they really want to differentiate AOS from WHF except there's still the skaven and other hangers on so what's the point!!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The SCE range needed to be reigned in and have some warscrolls combined or just turned into an alternate sculpt (how many of these SCE wizards could just be one warscroll?) but some of their choices are baffling. The sacrosanct stuff from 2nd everyone liked? The Dracoline riders? Very odd.

Removing BoC is INSANELY lovely tho, there isn't any real justification for it either.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Yeah the BoC thing has been a rumor for awhile but it still sucks to see. Feel really bad for their players.
Also very surprised at how many 2nd edition Stormcast models are going, like the Sancrosact chamber was the big thing from 2nd.
All the different war cry bands leaving I understand, since it made it hard to balance but I loved the variety they gave chaos, those are easy enough to use as marauders at least.

Edit: I am glad to see cities aren't losing any more units, dwarves and elves still sticking around.

neaden fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 4, 2024

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Geisladisk posted:

This is so loving stupid. I've been running a league for three years and one of our most dedicated players plays BOC exclusively. This guy is just gone now.

Rumor is that because ToW and AoS are entirely separate teams, they've gotten really tribal about their games.

The SCE culling is kind of a surprise, I was just on the fence about picking up the Start Collecting that had the first edition contents since it's dropped to $80

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm kind of miffed about the Sequitors going because they're a kit with some of the best female head options for conversions that aren't a loving pain to deal with because they're ball and socket joints.

And not something connected to a piece that runs through the body down to the leg or some other really terrible connecting point.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Basically, all the Stormcasts I played during 2nd edition are going away... well, except the Lord Relictor, that chunker will survive anything.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Just realized that SCE also lose a bunch of their weird critters with this, boo

SCE was bloated but it seems quite excessive to cut this many relatively modern units. Sets a lovely precedent. Maybe GW will learn not to give a single faction tons of new units every edition at some point.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Aww, I liked BoC. I know I say this as someone still in the early stages of building a First Army who hasn't played a game, but the way that they're the most devoted to Chaos but Chaos could not give two shits about them was cool. And they're such a good omnipresent but low-level threat that can scale up to Actual Threat if needed. Goatman Prime lurks behind every bush!

I know they're still presumably part of the setting--there's Tzaangors and Slaangors after all--but it doesn't feel the same without them being Actually Represented.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

Maybe GW will learn not to give a single faction tons of new units every edition at some point.

*Looks at Space Marines and their upcoming chapter codexes, and the rumors around one of them.*
Nah.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Oh jeez.

Culling a lot of the stuff that's either mechanically or thematically redundant.

And then the Evocators, boo.

rip in piss Castigators, we never found out why you were supposed to be used for.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
The most shocking thing to me about the SCE culling is that they're just dropping the models from having competitive rules instead of consolidating them as "counts as" for some other units. They'd save themselves a lot of ill will that way.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I was always intimidated by the size of the SCE range, especially all the heroes, but seeing so many cuts together like this... I almost have to applaud GW for actually pulling the trigger. SCE aren't nearly as popular as Space Marines, but this is just giving me flashbacks to the introduction of Primaris.

Bonesplitter's & BoC aren't super surprising given what we've heard of the rivalry between ToW & AoS dev's (although I hoped BoC had more time left in AoS since they're a full faction), but I'm a little surprised not more of the Goblins weren't cut. I figured they'd cut all of the spider and wolf stuff from AoS, since they always focused more on the Squigs & Trolls. And the fact that the only Warcry team from the latest edition they're cutting is the Horns of Hashut, pushes me further into the Chaos Dwarves camp. (tiny gripe, I don't know why they couldn't fold Cypher Lords & Unmade into Tzeentch & Slaanesh. I know they're not technically true followers of those gods, but... come on.)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Considering how willing GW seems to just neck any spin off game systems I can't say I'm too surprised at hearing that the ToW devs seem to be insanely protective of their stuff.

And one reason I think the early Warcry warbands is getting the boot is that the game has gone in a very different direction from the early idea of worshippers fighting for a chance at eating at Archaons table. Like the move has been slow but now it's definitely moved onto being the Kill Team of AoS and jumping around to various hot spots.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It didn't sound like anyone played Ravagers all that much and having a coherent army instead of 10 different bespoke warcry squads seems like it would be better to play with for everyone involved.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
The biggest loss is this model.

If it wasn't the oldest model in the GW range still being sold, then it was certainly close. Asurmen is the only one I can recall that is of similar vintage.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Athas posted:

The biggest loss is this model.

If it wasn't the oldest model in the GW range still being sold, then it was certainly close. Asurmen is the only one I can recall that is of similar vintage.

older than the Warp Spiders even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Athas posted:

Funny enough there's a rumor that Asurmen is going to get a new model alongside the Eldar codex.