Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Funny AU and UK still have "labour" parties in their politics huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

australians loving suck is why

That's what happens if you give millions of English sunstroke for generations, the evolve into Australians.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

Funny AU and UK still have "labour" parties in their politics huh?

AU doesn't even have a Labour party at all it's called Labor for some stupid reason

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

But... what the gently caress happened in Australia where the middle class was enlisted in this project of rolling back 100 years of industrialization and social change?

I'm genuinely clueless about Australian politics, I just know they fought tooth and nail to have a political economy that was not the personal plaything of mine owners and ranchers, and then inexplicably, they seem to have handed it back to them?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

But... what the gently caress happened in Australia where the middle class was enlisted in this project of rolling back 100 years of industrialization and social change?

I'm genuinely clueless about Australian politics, I just know they fought tooth and nail to have a political economy that was not the personal plaything of mine owners and ranchers, and then inexplicably, they seem to have handed it back to them?

the same poo poo that happened in every other western manufacturing economy, especially when there are truly astonishing amounts of valuable things in the ground. I don’t think there’s anything special about Aus politics in that regard.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
A poor reading of it, but:
Australia had an active and reasonably successful labour movement up to the late 80s. At that point Keating came in to lead that movement and started cutting the legs out from it, but was tolerated as he could lay a sick burn on the opposition.

After Keating we had Howard who had 4 terms (nearly 12 years) to absolutely gut the state. We privatised power, telecommunications, water, and anything we could lay our hands on. Cut down tariffs and opened up as many export friendly agreements as we could. Got as hard into the bed with the US as possible. He ran an amazingly successful anti-refugee platform and was right in on the war on terror and used the two to absolutely gut the working class's conciousness. Murdoch helped of course as he consolidated all non-state media and just ran front page labour smear pieces for decades.

Since Howard we've manage to install true business believers at the head of the remaining state functions like the ABC.

We had a bit of a resurgence with Rudd, who actually started opening relationships with China and trying to heal the first nations gaps. He got very plainly knifed shortly after suggesting we tax mineral exports, which were heavily subsidised for the gain of the national rich and the US/EU. Labour at the time tried tepidly to hold on to auto manufacturing, but after 8 years of every media outlet screaming about how they can't lead the liberals came in and immediately shut it down.

We now have little national vision, an entirely captured labour movement, and few actual strengths beyond grow/dig up and export raw materials. We don't even do large amounts of secondary processing.

The nation's still riding on the tail of the labour movement with high wages and a generally good standard of living, but that's being rapidly eroded.

There's some occasional signs of hope - the Vic premier was absolutely trashed in the media for daring to follow medical advice through covid and investing in major infrastructure projects, but still won a 3rd term very conclusively. He's gone though now and the state labour party are rapidly rolling it all back to austerity.

Pidgin Englishman has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Apr 4, 2024

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Not surprising. The 80's were the start of the great neoliberal project, especially within the anglosphere. It's also when the original far left Labour party of the UK got crippled leading to the rise of blarism in the 90's as a replacement. And well, here we all are, in the ruins of 'society'. But number did go up so its a land of contrasts.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Did you guys read this?

https://twitter.com/Last24Report/status/1760396482933408094?t=tpm7KX0ip3DzOqSP9nrynA&s=19

Optionally crew ships, isn't this bigger pie in the sky than the subs?

optionally manned is the best gimmick, because it means you can sell all the expensive unmanned bits, but they don't have to actually work yet. you just promise that some day in the future they will work.

not just that but you can cut every corner possible on the human requirements parts and brush it away with "dont worry it will be unmanned soon." more ships where there's a single 1kw microwave for a galley.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

the west is really betting all their chips on AI lmao

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

hahaha boy that's a bad bet

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Why did neoliberalism hit so hard in Australia? It's not like it's become a financial economy, so how did the mine and ranch owners swing the pendulum back to the Australian political economy of the 1890's?

In general terms of the period, de-industrialization was a major consequence of the dawn of neoliberalism, especially for countries with ongoing processes of industrial development and historically organized into extractive economies. Latin American industrialization was effectively wiped out during the 80s as foreign investment evaporated (never rely on money from outside without capital controls). The Asiatic crisis of the 90s liquidated the rest as massive capital flight went into cascade - lots and lots of foreign money went into speculation and once Thailand couldn't back it up, everybody tried to GTFO as fast as they could.

The only places that took the hit and left it better were the ones with consolidated programs of industrial policy - China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Singapore and arguably Japan, depending on how you want to approach it.

I say general terms because those two crises did have consequences to "developed" secondary economies such as Canada and Australia, as industrial financing of those places in particular went into LatAm/Asia as credit (converting those hard assets into money that could both do financial speculation and take advantage of cheap labor and currency to manufacture stuff was all the rage): and because there isn't enough irony, the same profits then obtained were put into... The extractive economy, creating a feedback loop that guaranteed the new "developed but dependent" condition of those places.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

dead gay comedy forums posted:

In general terms of the period, de-industrialization was a major consequence of the dawn of neoliberalism, especially for countries with ongoing processes of industrial development and historically organized into extractive economies. Latin American industrialization was effectively wiped out during the 80s as foreign investment evaporated (never rely on money from outside without capital controls). The Asiatic crisis of the 90s liquidated the rest as massive capital flight went into cascade - lots and lots of foreign money went into speculation and once Thailand couldn't back it up, everybody tried to GTFO as fast as they could.

The only places that took the hit and left it better were the ones with consolidated programs of industrial policy - China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Singapore and arguably Japan, depending on how you want to approach it.

I say general terms because those two crises did have consequences to "developed" secondary economies such as Canada and Australia, as industrial financing of those places in particular went into LatAm/Asia as credit (converting those hard assets into money that could both do financial speculation and take advantage of cheap labor and currency to manufacture stuff was all the rage): and because there isn't enough irony, the same profits then obtained were put into... The extractive economy, creating a feedback loop that guaranteed the new "developed but dependent" condition of those places.

Developed but dependent huh. It's a phrase the does neatly describe the future trajectory of the EU's political economy since it seems like it's only a matter of when the EU cuts itself off from China in order to please the Americans.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

yellowcar posted:

the west is really betting all their chips on AI lmao

US government leaders and defense industry insiders have sounded the alarm about China’s advances in AI, and some now claim that China is outpacing the United States in developing and fielding AI-enabled military systems. While it is impossible to know which country is ahead, and in which applications, China faces significant headwinds in its quest to develop and deploy military AI.

For now, Beijing remains dependent on the foreign semiconductors that provide the computing power it requires to develop high-end AI applications. Increasingly stringent US export controls have impeded, to some degree, China’s AI ambitions.

It is also unclear whether the Chinese military possesses the tech-savvy workforce needed to create world-class AI military systems. The PLA’s centralized decision-making processes may inhibit its ability to leverage AI-enabled decision-support systems.

Despite these and other challenges, China’s use of military AI remains a pressing US national security concern. But it is important to right-size the threat – to better understand both the PLA’s strengths and weaknesses – and to develop adequate countermeasures.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Danann posted:

Developed but dependent huh. It's a phrase the does neatly describe the future trajectory of the EU's political economy since it seems like it's only a matter of when the EU cuts itself off from China in order to please the Americans.

Yeah, it's a choice phrase for Australia.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

anyone in a Western country talking about something happening by the 2040s might as well be saying when Christ returns/ the singularity happens/ etc because that’s so far beyond how long neo liberal societies can plan it’s just a prophecy.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
Just to point out how powerful/influential/hypocritical the coal mining industry is, here's a 2007 election ad they had urging people to vote for a party that doesn't support nuclear power, as it'll devastate the coal industry who btw, 100% "believed" in climate change just for the 2007 election aka "clean coal yes for the climate, everything else bad". The same people beat the "coal is always good for you, don't look at alternatives to it!" drum for decades, including the formal Treasurer Scott Morrison (who later became prime minister) walking into parliament with a piece of coal saying don't be afraid. Currently the coal mining industry is strongly demanding nuclear power in 2024 to be built on top of old coal mine sites, despite the fact we had a conservative government in power from 2013 to 2022, who did their own study into adopting nuclear power and concluded it'd be too expensive, take too long and there's no currently produced nuclear reactors to be licensed by Australia right now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Did you guys read this?

https://twitter.com/Last24Report/status/1760396482933408094?t=tpm7KX0ip3DzOqSP9nrynA&s=19

cassowary ate me crewmen!!!

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYU78XNOWks

Al Jazeera posted:

North Korea says Kim Jong Un oversaw test of new hypersonic weapon

State media said the missile – named Hwasong-16B – was a key piece of the country’s nuclear war deterrent.

North Korea has said it tested a new solid-fuelled hypersonic intermediate-range missile (IRBM) as it continues to expand its weapons programme.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Hey FF, look at what the chair of the NATO Military Committee is saying. I highlighted the funniest bits. Translated from an interview printed in a whole bunch of Dutch papers (dude has been stirring the pot telling us all to be afraid for a while now).

quote:

Interview
The highest Dutch NATO soldier wants to wake everyone up: 'We were not worried in May 1940 either'
Admiral Rob Bauer is on a mission. With his appeal to citizens to have drinking water and other basic necessities at home in the event of an international crisis, he made it to the international press. But much more is needed, says the chairman of the NATO Military Committee. “In a time of war you want to hear from a soldier about what's going on.”

Hans Nijenhuis April 2, 2024, 10:22 AM

Admiral Rob Bauer in Latvia at the end of March, at the commemoration of that country's twenty-year NATO membership.
Each NATO country has a commander of its armed forces. These 32 highest-ranking military personnel together form the Military Committee in Brussels. And its chairman is the Dutchman Rob Bauer. In January he asked citizens to prepare for the unexpected. In the first days of an armed conflict, power stations can be attacked, which means no electricity, no tap water.

“An enemy consciously creates chaos, if only because the government that citizens then rely on is the same one that has to defend the country. So make sure you can take care of yourself for a while.” A question he often gets: But that doesn't happen with us, does it? His answer: “We thought that too in the May days of 1940. It was glorious weather.”

Does such a call come spontaneously or was it prepared?

“In my position you can't just do many things spontaneously. Everything is always thoroughly prepared in the Military Committee. This was the message that everyone agreed with. I wasn't the only one who came up with it either.”

What do you hope to achieve with this?

“I feel like I have to be a driving force on a number of themes. This started soon after the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Ministers started giving away military equipment and were quite proud of it. Then I told them: 'That's very good, but you're not starting in a full-fledged warehouse. You start in a half-full, if not almost empty warehouse. And that means doing something about the production capacity of the defense industry. An industry that has been neglected for 30 years.' I think I was seen as a fun ruiner.”

Bauer now also focuses on the financial sector. There it is a good idea not to invest in weapons. Last month he spoke with the umbrella organization of Dutch pension funds. “Also not a logical discussion partner for the chairman of the military committee, but it is necessary.”

Your message?

“Guys, wake up! Literally a week before I had received an email from ABP, where my pension also runs. “The two big problems of our time are the climate and biodiversity,” it said. And they were having fun with that. Nothing about the insecurity in the world! I'm surprised about that. I also told them: 'It is of course crazy that it is okay for you that I work for Defense, but it is not okay for you to invest in the equipment I need to do that job.'”

Aren't calls like these the job of politicians?

“During a pandemic you want to hear from a doctor about the situation. In a time of war you want to hear from a soldier about what's going on. I help politicians explain to voters what needs to be done.”

Is that needed?

“We haven't been believed for years. That, of course, is the sad part of the whole thing. The conquest of Crimea, the downing of MH17, that was already in 2014. But people found it an uncomfortable truth. Hassle, inconvenience, costs money. By the way, you also heard that we do business with the Russians. And if you do business with a country and you are mutually economically dependent, there will never be war again. Well, that assumption has been quite belied.”

“Just like the other one: if you make the Chinese rich, they will automatically become democratic. Also not true. Many politicians and journalists have looked at the world as they want it to look. The armed forces have simply been broken down. Because people thought it was no longer necessary. And now we have so much to catch up on, so much to fix.”

Two weeks after your message in January, it turned out that more than 2,100 Dutch people had objected to plans by the armed forces for more training areas.

“Well, that is something that we also defend together: criticism and participation are allowed. In an autocratic country, the Veluwe would simply be renamed a training ground tomorrow. But I sometimes think of what my father used to say at home: 'You all have a say. But I have a pronunciation.' [this is a bit of a Dutch pun, basically everyone can say something but his dad can decide something] That has disappeared in the Netherlands. Nowadays the 'I' seems to be more important than the 'we'. Many people can hold things back. And very few people can push things through. I think something should be done about that.”

And that is how his call to be resilient should also be understood, says Bauer. It's not just about those extra cans of vegetables in the house, but about the mentality that comes with it. “Being resilient. Taking responsibility.”

Bauer talks about Norway, where some 18-year-olds are called up for military service. In the Netherlands no one is called up. “In Norway they choose the very best. There it has become an honor to serve your country, it looks good on your resume,” says Bauer. Sweden has something similar. The Netherlands could use these countries as an example. “When you are young you can fight against climate change as an activist, you can also work for more security in Defense.”

You also spoke twice last week with top business people. What do you tell them?

“First what I saw in Ukraine. How that country fights a war and at the same time continues to function almost normally. I went to Kyiv for a conference by train. Ten hours from the Polish border. And on time. The NS [Dutch railways] can still learn something from this. The obstacles on that route are a bit bigger than the leaves on our track [the typical example that people who know nothing about how our railways work always complain about the Dutch railways]. Later we spent hours in the air raid shelter under the hotel because of the air raid siren. There they had recreated the room upstairs that was used for the conference. Just to keep going.”

But the message to the CEOs?

“The message is: if you want to achieve that, everyone is needed. Not just the government. For a long time, all we thought about was money, money, money. The industry had to make as much money as possible, the government had to spend as little money as possible. And now we are dependent on China for necessary raw materials, as we were on Russia for energy. The business community must look much more strategically at its supply chains. 90 percent of the most advanced computer chips are produced in Taiwan. If war breaks out there, what is happening now in Ukraine will be child's play for the economy.”

What do you propose?

Bauer picks up his coffee cup. “It doesn't matter for such a cup, but for energy, tech, raw materials... Let's not necessarily choose the cheapest producer. Ensure that strategic goods are produced within NATO. In at least one of the 32 countries. Then we know it will remain available. And yes, it should become a little more expensive.”

Are you listening to politicians?

“What I think is a shame is that in politics everything is black or white. Four years ago I gave a very nuanced answer to a question about personnel shortages at Defense. Of course we have to try harder to convince people, perhaps we have to pay better salaries. But if all that doesn't work, then you should think about conscription. Well, then that man with the red microphone, what's his name, Jaďr, went around to all the party leaders. Two immediately said, “Yes, we should.” The other twelve said, “That guy is crazy.” But no one answered, “If a professional says this, maybe we should have a serious talk about it.” It's for or against. Sense or nonsense. Good or ridiculous. All statements.”

After his press conference in January, Bauer has now been invited by the House of Representatives. Only a suitable date is still being sought.

Do you think 2 percent of national income for defense expenditure is enough?

“We know exactly what to do against the two biggest threats: the Russians and terrorist organizations. We know what we need for this and what it costs. But that percentage discussion... Let us first realize that that 2 percent does not go to NATO at all. You spend that 2 percent on yourself. Then you can defend yourself better.”

Bauer recalls the pandemic. “Of course, that appealed more to the imagination: from the king to the garbage collector, anyone could get Covid. That's why it was easier to put a very big bag of money on the table and say to the industry: 'Now develop that vaccine!' And they did that."

“This way we can also solve the problems in the defense industry. Real. If we say: don't worry, we want grenades tomorrow, they may not be there tomorrow, but they will be there soon. As long as we feel that urgency! This means that the Ministry of Finance should not think: we want a cheap grenade.” Bauer slams his fist on the table. “No, we just want grenades!”

He points out that Putin no longer talks about 'a special military operation' but simply about war. “More stuff is produced in Russia than in the West. And then you can say: 'Yes, but it is older stuff, less precise.' But at some point quantity also becomes quality.”

Do you feel like one crying in the desert?

“When I walked down the street in Amsterdam in my midshipman uniform in 1981, I was called a murderer. Now I get a glass of beer or a slap on the shoulder at the football club. That is a kind of appreciation.”

Business needs to solve our problems by acting against the profit motive and the government should incentivize them by giving them a big bag of money. Bing bong so simple. Lmao that this is the strategic thinking of ostensibly one of the top guys charged with this. Also not at all worrying that he knows jack poo poo about how our railways function. I'm sure that's not important logistically for our military at all right?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
they really want a giant war and they seem blissfully unaware that they've deconstructed society to the point where this isn't possible anymore. I guess they could force people at gunpoint but i assume you'd just end up with mutinies everywhere.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Regarde Aduck posted:

they really want a giant war and they seem blissfully unaware that they've deconstructed society to the point where this isn't possible anymore. I guess they could force people at gunpoint but i assume you'd just end up with mutinies everywhere.

There's literally a book about this, based on research done here :canada:

Just peep the table of contents:

Introduction The Human Dimensions of War 3
Robert C. Engen

1 Traditional Paradigms of Combat Motivation in the Canadian Military: Teaching Combat Motivation, 1985–2010 13 Allan English

2 The Marshall Paradigm: American and Canadian Perspectives 25
Roger Spiller with Robert C. Engen and Allan English

3 Different Language, Common Intent: Mutual Understanding between Poles and Canadians, 1944 38
Robert Williams

4 Sexual Violence as Motivation 51
Claire Cookson-Hills

5 Strangers in Arms: Swift Trust and Combat Motivation 82
Robert C. Engen

6 Combat Motivation in the Contemporary Canadian Army 96
Ian Hope

7 “Do You Even Pro, Bro?”: Persistent Testing of Warrior Identity and the Failure of Cohesion 116
H. Christian Breede and Karen D. Davis

8 Beliefs: What Motivates Insurgents 139
Robert Martyn

9 Women in Dark Networks: A Case Study on Daesh-Supportive Tumblr Blogs 158
Victoria Tait, Joshua Clark, and Lena Saleh

Conclusion “We’re going to Afghanistan so that we get a decent deal on softwood lumber”: The CIDP Combat Motivation Workshop Concluding Roundtable 189
Sonia Dussault and Robert C. Engen

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 12:43 on Apr 4, 2024

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The middle class realised that they could make more money by going into real estate and getting immigrants to do all the jobs requiring actual work, and that eternally rising house prices and having no vision or ability to expand public services to support all the immigrants were never going to cause any problems within their lifetimes. Isn't this basically the same thing that happened in Canada?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

That is exactly what happened in Canada. For some reason I thought the existence of Toronto and Montreal as financial centres put our transition to the spreadsheet economy in the same category as the US and UK, only to remember that over 80% of that is based on real estate speculation. Everything else has regressed to potash, wheat, and lumber, as you say. Something like 85% of the economy of Vancouver is now directly related to real estate iirc.

e: iirc Canada and Australia ended White Dominion immigration policies within a few years of each other, we imported Ukrainian war criminals, you took in Croatians, our indigenous policies are self-evident, and we had both been moving towards industry, self reliance and several steps up the value chain, under the Commonwealth tariff bloc before the Mother Country sold us out in the 1960's.

ee: The only fundamental difference in demographics under the White Dominion policy is the presence of the French and Free Blacks here, and your Irish are Catholics and ours are Prods. So the "Old Stock" are more or less the same, and blame the problems on immigrants because class consciousness just... doesn't occur to them?

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 12:57 on Apr 4, 2024

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

stephenthinkpad posted:

Did you guys read this?

luv 2 have ships with no damage control capabilities

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

fibblins posted:

luv 2 have ships with no damage control capabilities

Not even damage control. Just think about all of the routine things a warship needs to do at sea, like aid ships in distress, board vessels for inspection, constantly paint, the bo's'ns are constantly moving lines and chains on the decks, whatever other shipboard tasks.

You would need a perfectly smooth brain to not think of the thousands of tasks that need to be performed daily on a warship, compared to "firing weapons", which most ships throughout recent history have never done in anger.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Thinking of de-industrialized western countries (Canada, Australia, NL) as basically peasant resource-extraction economies explains a bunch about the reactionary politics in each.

Capital found One Weird Trick to crush the proletariat, just destroy the industry.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

Thinking of de-industrialized western countries (Canada, Australia, NL) as basically peasant resource-extraction economies explains a bunch about the reactionary politics in each.

Capital found One Weird Trick to crush the proletariat, just destroy the industry.

I'm remembering Hobsbawm's quote about the Belgians, before they were organized by the labour unions, mostly being concerned with pigeon fancying. Isn't it strange that pretty much all forms of gambling have not just been legalized recently, but are heavily advertised?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It's funny that online gambling and advertising for all kinds of gambling was legalized in a bunch of different western countries at around the same time.

Oh well, must be a coincidence best not to think on this further.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

It's funny that online gambling and advertising for all kinds of gambling was legalized in a bunch of different western countries at around the same time.

Oh well, must be a coincidence best not to think on this further.

Getting anyone to connect dots here is enough to drive you crazy.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Funny that you all brought gambling up after the Australia is hosed up chat

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

lol it must be insanely worse now, since that was 2016 and online was less than $200.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

WTF, lost a PS5 and 10 new games per year.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

What's the other in that graph? I was thinking of like horse racing but that would be under betting right?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lmfao

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

How many deaths for each sq km gained?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

A while ago there was a thing in this thread about 170mm being a good calibre, ballistically, for achieving long range. Someone claimed that no 170mm artillery achieved 60km (unless I am misremembering and the contention was 70).

Turns out North Korea figured it out back in 1978.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-1978_Koksan

Still, if the contention was 70, then I'm sure 50 years of technological development should be able to gain a few more km with a new design.

The M-1978 Koksan (Korean: M-1978 곡산; Hanja: M-1978 谷山), or officially Juchepo (Juche Cannon)

I wanna be fired out of the Juche Cannon

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Not even damage control. Just think about all of the routine things a warship needs to do at sea, like aid ships in distress, board vessels for inspection, constantly paint, the bo's'ns are constantly moving lines and chains on the decks, whatever other shipboard tasks.

You would need a perfectly smooth brain to not think of the thousands of tasks that need to be performed daily on a warship, compared to "firing weapons", which most ships throughout recent history have never done in anger.

if I read about these correctly the idea is to use them as scouts or embed them in a carrier flotilla? I see the real issues in navigating in ports and areas of crowded traffic. they can’t even get self driving cars to stop running over children. gonna be cool when one of these things runs into a bridge or capsizes one of those small day cruise ships with a casino deck

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

the Belgians, before they were organized by the labour unions, mostly being concerned with pigeon fancying

i knew belgium is a pervert country, but drat

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I'm going to stop you right there. Canadian Forces Spousal/Partner Employment and Income Project: Research Framework and Methodology makes it pretty clear they have made single income households impossible, even on officers' pay, and military spouses make 50% of their civilian-married equivalents with the same education and work history. This is after they privatized housing and set the remaining housing at market rate. Several family and dependant programs and benefits are administered through SISIP, a subsidiary of Manulife (Manufacturers' Life Insurance Company) with the incentives and results you'd expect.

Oh come on, it can not be...

....oh Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

happy 75 anniversary of the NATO.🌐
here's to 75 more hours