Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Trillian and Ludwig have an important announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

raverrn posted:

$111 on $275 - to Washington state. This stuff should be inbound from China, right? Christ.

'Sup fellow Washington goon. I paid $70 on a $275 order, so who the gently caress knows what's going on with this poo poo?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

painted one of those silly urbanmechs i hear so much about

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Very nice faux metallic luster + cockpit/laser diffusion

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mutant Headcrab posted:

'Sup fellow Washington goon. I paid $70 on a $275 order, so who the gently caress knows what's going on with this poo poo?

Same state, got $110 on $330 so I think the rumors that their domestic shipping agency is just charging $1 for every $3 worth of order seems accurate.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nebalebadingdong posted:

painted one of those silly urbanmechs i hear so much about

aren't those trashcans and trash bags going to be gigantic? like towering over a human?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I got 27 out of 110.

Which isn't as bad, but I can't imagine it costs 27 bucks to ship a single forcepack and three salvage boxes.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

I said come in! posted:

aren't those trashcans and trash bags going to be gigantic? like towering over a human?

No, mechs are smaller than you think they are.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Strobe posted:

No, mechs are smaller than you think they are.

Yeah, and mechs are smaller than a lot of even the official artists think. They end up far too big in a lot of official art.

Those trash cans look just about the perfect size next to that UrbanMech if you take the average light 'mech to be about 8-10 meters tall.

Anyway, that mini is pretty fantastic. Great paint job, great basing, and it always makes me happy to see people get the scale of scenery next to 'mechs correct.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 1, 2024

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Those trashcans are pretty big, but not excessively so.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Those trashcans are pretty big, but not excessively so.

i put a 6mm fig next to the trashcans

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

where do y'all get those tiny cars and scenery bits?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah and if you take that dude to be an average 175 cm tall, the UrbanMech should be like 5-6 times taller than him which looks roughly correct.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

NinjaDebugger posted:

where do y'all get those tiny cars and scenery bits?

the trashcans came from outland models who print a variety of different scale scenery for model trains. print quality is okay but not great.

if you want cars in space that you can print yourself, i suggest iliada games for an old school look: https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/12750/IliadaGameStudio, or death ray designs for a more conventional sci fi look

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nebalebadingdong posted:

the trashcans came from outland models who print a variety of different scale scenery for model trains. print quality is okay but not great.

if you want cars in space that you can print yourself, i suggest iliada games for an old school look: https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/12750/IliadaGameStudio, or death ray designs for a more conventional sci fi look

Hah, I've actually already got a bunch of Iliada's stuff, presumably from someone posting in the general painting thread. I just... haven't got around to printing any.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

NinjaDebugger posted:

Hah, I've actually already got a bunch of Iliada's stuff, presumably from someone posting in the general painting thread. I just... haven't got around to printing any.

it was probably me, i love the iliada stuff so much. its the perfect combination of old school, futuristic, and cute :3

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ok, yeah, you're good. I was overestimating them as being about man-sized.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah, and mechs are smaller than a lot of even the official artists think. They end up far too big in a lot of official art.
Part of this problem is mechs like the Jenner having no room for a pilot in the cockpit, partially caused by stuff like Macross mechs having heads that are just sensor pods.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Signal posted:

Isn't that when you have your Omnimech dump off a unit of Elementals?

That's dropping the kids off at the pool.

Got pinged for $79 on about $300-something order; annoying, but not nearly as crazy as some I've seen. I suppose getting screwed over financially at the margins is terribly appropriate for Battletech mercenaries at least.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

One of those trash cans is way too big; it towers over the man and dominates the whole base!

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011
all that Mad Cat posting made me want to make a Rakshasa, so here's one from the MW4 Catapult and Mektek Marauder, progress so far:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

From the KS, re:shipping costs

quote:

After researching these shipping charges, we have discovered a couple of errors. First, there was an error in the upload of the shipping charges form that included the total amount of shipping, handling, and fees, instead of JUST shipping. Additionally, we identified that the Savannahs Battlemat listed the wrong dimensions (instead, with the dimensions of a BFM). Most backers receive the free Battlemat with their order, so this erroneously upped the shipping fees due to large box dimensions. Because this affects all Veteran and above backers, QML needs to re-work the entire shipping upload, which will take some time.

Once both fixes are made, 95% of all orders are going to be under $150 for your total amount of shipping. Those remaining we believe are non-continental US, the rest of the world (outside of hub centers) stores, and similar extremely large orders.

Backers that had zero shipping listed were finalized after QML received their last data pull in December, so we'll be sending the updated list to them, as well. There were also some odd $1 shipping amounts that did not import correctly through the upload, and this will be updated.

Finally, the April 12th deadline is removed. We will take as long as it needs to fix all issues.

So the downside is that they MIGHT be delayed but we won't be paying 1/3 of the order cost in S&H anymore. Sounds like the shipping company hosed up preeeeeeeety bad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Delayed shipment but better than the outrageous shipping fees imo. Just would have been nice if this was all done correctly the first time.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Who's QML?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Excited to see what the change brings

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Quartermaster Logistics, the company that CGL is using to deliver the KS goods.

I said come in! posted:

Delayed shipment but better than the outrageous shipping fees imo. Just would have been nice if this was all done correctly the first time.

Yeah, I have a feeling some folks at the shipping company lost their jobs today.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if this all came down to the wrong column in a spreadsheet being read, plus the battlemat being erroneously marked as being four feet long.

Good to see that the comments on the update are still full of 'Superbackers' who didn't even read it and just want to rage at anything and everything CGL says.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

I said come in! posted:

With a project like the kickstarter and a ton of new products, including products like the Savannah Masters that got introduced after the kickstarter as a surprise... I'm not surprised there were errors. But it's good that people spoke up, CGL investigated, and things got fixed.

I'm running a tourney this Saturday, Clix and Alpha Strike, some local CBTs want to extend the tourney after I'm done running my portion (I'm running it in the afternoon, they want to do it into the evening). S'cool.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
When was the free battlemat added? I don't see it mentioned in the Kickstarter itself or in my confirmation emails and I pledged at the $150 level. Am I overlooking something obvious?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's not a battlemat it's a map pack and it's for Battalion+.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Strobe posted:

It's not a battlemat it's a map pack and it's for Battalion+.

Ah, ok. Then they need to word their email better because it says "most backers receive the battlemat for free with their order" and then they immediately say this affects all Veteran pledges and above. It was a bit confusing. I guess that final sentence is meant to address general pricing issues and not the battlemat itself, but that's not how I read it the first time.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There was a correction issued but apparently you can't actually edit kickstarter updates so the wrong info is stuck there now.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Got it. I didn't go to the Kickstarter page, just read the update through email.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Crosspost from the GBS thread:

MadDogMike posted:

April Fool's release had Clan Spaniel, which they obviously had far too much fun making given it has entirely too much effort put into it for a $1.99 joke. I am particularly fond of the symbols for the "evil Monkey Tribes" of the Inner Sphere, especially the Liao one:

Dude is right. This is an amazing read for two bucks. There's a bunch of clever actual in-universe backstory behind the cartoon throughout.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Defiance Industries posted:

From the KS, re:shipping costs

So the downside is that they MIGHT be delayed but we won't be paying 1/3 of the order cost in S&H anymore. Sounds like the shipping company hosed up preeeeeeeety bad.
The VAT on my order was about 1.5 times the shipping cost, and that's apparently due to some new EU rule where you can't dodge VAT by shipping from inside the EU anymore. CGL may have gotten bitten by that rule change, but it's the kind of thing that shouldn't have been impossible to price into their KS given that they already have to do it for some US states and sales tax. I guess I'll probably drop by about fifty dollars if the shipping gets unfucked, but that's still a really big bill.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Arquinsiel posted:

The VAT on my order was about 1.5 times the shipping cost, and that's apparently due to some new EU rule where you can't dodge VAT by shipping from inside the EU anymore. CGL may have gotten bitten by that rule change, but it's the kind of thing that shouldn't have been impossible to price into their KS given that they already have to do it for some US states and sales tax. I guess I'll probably drop by about fifty dollars if the shipping gets unfucked, but that's still a really big bill.

I ran a KS in 2022 and even then I had to charge VAT for all EU customers. So it should not have surprised CGL for this KS.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, I would assume that any business wanting to provide a price to customers in a country would plan for all relevant taxation rather than just YOLOing poo poo into the void of the postal service and letting them work it out.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, I would assume that any business wanting to provide a price to customers in a country would plan for all relevant taxation rather than just YOLOing poo poo into the void of the postal service and letting them work it out.

A bigger issue IMHO is that they seem to add VAT at a flat rate for the entire cost, when it should be significantly lower VAT for books. And it's at 0% in the UK right? That's a huge chunk of money if you ordered the Universe book.

I had to do a bunch of reading on international VAT and shipping and stuff to not gently caress up with my KS. But I'm also a single rando dude with zero economical education, doing it as a side gig, and even I could figure those basics out after some research. These are... weird mistakes honestly.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 4, 2024

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Never underestimate the unprofessionalism and incompetence of those in the gaming industry. There are stories that make you wonder how these companies are still companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm not sure I'd blame this on CGL.

It sounds like Quartermaster Logistics got lazy and hosed them over.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 4, 2024