Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Rivian has made their 100,000th vehicle https://insideevs.com/news/714838/rivian-builds-100000-vehicle-normal/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

The carbon fiber (look?) lip spoiler brings additional questions...

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I don't see a downturn, most of it seems to be media that evs=tesla and all others are prototypes no one buys. some like axios vomit out several articles a day on a mythical ev winter. this being the same publication that big cars are the irreversible future.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Three Olives posted:

It's the only unquestionably will work thing on that car, what's the question?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Decided to google some numbers.

Toyota sold 104k [terrible] EVs worldwide in 2023.

Toyota sold 115k vehicles in Japan alone in just December 2023 (1 month). This is mostly ice/hybrid I assume.

This is mostly to illustrate the difference between mature and newer technology and how hard it is to build cars. Just ask Fisker!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

wear and tear on roads, which is generally the cost that vehicle taxes offset, scales logarithmically with vehicle weight. taxing fuel was a really convenient way to apply that tax since generally big poo poo burns more fuel, and because it naturally followed the vehicle to whatever jurisdictions roads it was wearing and tearing. there isn't going to be anything as elegantly simple for stuff that doesn't burn petrol. the closest would probably be taxing tires, but disincentivizing people from replacing tires would be... not good. next closest would be a tax that used gross weight to set a per-mile rate, but that adds a whole new layer of enforcement needed because taxes that rely exclusively on self-reporting generally don't work out great.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Some states have mandatory safety inspections, for instance in HI you take your vehicle to an inspector every year and their sole job is to make sure the car's basic safety features are working, e.g. they turn on your blinkers and check that the brake lights work, basic poo poo like that, it only takes 10 minutes. This is a prerequisite for renewing your registration, the inspector transmits their report directly to the DMV.

It'd be really easy for the HI DMV to charge a per-mile tax on vehicles as part of registration renewal is what I'm saying

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

QuarkJets posted:

It'd be really easy for the HI DMV to charge a per-mile tax on vehicles as part of registration renewal is what I'm saying

Hawaii is probably the only state in the US that could get away with that. In the continental states, it wouldn't pass constitutional muster for your state government to tax you based on how many miles you may have driven in other states outside of your state's jurisdiction.

A couple states have adopted (or are in the process of looking into adopting) programs where you can opt-in to having a state-monitored GPS tracker on your car so they can measure how many miles you drive on state-owned roads, and tax you based on that instead of just charging a flat EV registration fee when you renew your plates every year. Which is a loving horrible idea because the government has no business tracking your whereabouts.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Three Olives posted:

It's standard on the P series 3 and Ys.

Also on the Y(not sure on the 3) it'll eventually come off as the 3M tape they use to hold it on wears out, I've had mine replaced under warranty(they even came to my house to do it) already and this replacement is starting to come loose about 8 months after the first replacement.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Russian Bear posted:

Decided to google some numbers.

Toyota sold 104k [terrible] EVs worldwide in 2023.

Toyota sold 115k vehicles in Japan alone in just December 2023 (1 month). This is mostly ice/hybrid I assume.

This is mostly to illustrate the difference between mature and newer technology and how hard it is to build cars. Just ask Fisker!

The people behind Fisker would probably be failing if they were running a hamburger stand.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The people behind Fisker would probably be failing if they were running a hamburger stand.

speaking of companies that won't do poo poo, I present: Canoo

Auto News posted:

The company spent $1.7 million reimbursing Aquila Family Ventures, an entity owned and operated by CEO Tony Aquila, for the usage of a private aircraft for purposes related to the business, Canoo said in its annual 10-Q filed with the SEC on Tuesday. The figure represents about twice the $886,000 the company brought in as revenue in 2023.

https://www.autonews.com/mobility-report/canoo-spent-double-its-revenue-private-jet-travel

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

I've come to terms with the number of people who will judge it for being an EV far exceeds the number or people who will judge it for being a Musk EV. I'm an adult and why would I care about what people think about what I have to drive and live with daily.

I bought the Y because it had the best charging network and the best cargo space packaging. It felt massively bigger inside than the Mach E and the ID 4.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

There's 140,000 people working at Tesla besides Elon, at least my purchases enriched those people somewhat. I know that cars are the most expensive thing people buy 2nd to a home, and there's a lot of emotion to that, so it's important to feel good about something you buy.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

My favorite version of this that I saw locally was a Tesla with every single bit of external branding removed. No T, no T E S L A, no anything.

Still obvious what it is, of course, but yeah, I get it

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Honestly that sticker or removing the badges is worse, total performance art.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nfcknblvbl posted:

There's 140,000 people working at Tesla besides Elon, at least my purchases enriched those people somewhat. I know that cars are the most expensive thing people buy 2nd to a home, and there's a lot of emotion to that, so it's important to feel good about something you buy.

Very important to 'enrich' those 140,000 people working for a union busting freak who runs factories full of racist abuse. Truly to be applauded.

Buy whatever things you want, but lmao don't try and cloak it in some kind of positive social choice because people happen to work for one of the worst humans. Elon already parlayed the praise and support he received over the 2010's for his electric cars to purchase one of the biggest social media venues explicitly to protect and amplify the voices of neo-nazis and racists of all stripe, which he followed through with immediately. So like, yeah supporting Elon and his endeavors does have real world implications, but hey, cars are a big purchase like you say and people want to spend that on what they want to. Just don't try and then turn it around into something neutral or even positive when it is specifically enabling his next twitter level tantrum to make peoples lives worse down the road.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's the only unquestionably will work thing on that car, what's the question?

I didn't realize it was factory, I thought it was one of those cringe after market accessories that people put on their car.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

Very important to 'enrich' those 140,000 people working for a union busting freak who runs factories full of racist abuse. Truly to be applauded.

Buy whatever things you want, but lmao don't try and cloak it in some kind of positive social choice because people happen to work for one of the worst humans. Elon already parlayed the praise and support he received over the 2010's for his electric cars to purchase one of the biggest social media venues explicitly to protect and amplify the voices of neo-nazis and racists of all stripe, which he followed through with immediately. So like, yeah supporting Elon and his endeavors does have real world implications, but hey, cars are a big purchase like you say and people want to spend that on what they want to. Just don't try and then turn it around into something neutral or even positive when it is specifically enabling his next twitter level tantrum to make peoples lives worse down the road.

I bought 3 Teslas so far, this post makes me want to buy 3 more.

Nov 6, 2002

Ethical car consumption lol.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
I kind of have my heart set on an Ultra Red Model 3 Highland.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Cool? Buy as many as you want, buy a fleet of robo taxis, just don't try and rube goldberg together some justification that makes it actually socially good in your head.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I kind of have my heart set on an Ultra Red Model 3 Highland.

I’ve been waiting for the highland performance and am seriously torn between ultra red and blue. I’m not a red car person but it looks rad.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

Cool? Buy as many as you want, buy a fleet of robo taxis, just don't try and rube goldberg together some justification that makes it actually socially good in your head.

Sorry for having an opinion on a thing that others have an opinion on, friend.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Gimme, updated Zeekr 001 wagon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeV-F-xud0g

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are we doing this again? Should we post a list of every carmaker’s sins so we can find the most ethical car to buy? Not to downplay Musk’s deeds but I think this moralizing is only happening because no one’s bothered to research the other carmakers and their shareholders.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Vegetable posted:

Are we doing this again? Should we post a list of every carmaker’s sins so we can find the most ethical car to buy? Not to downplay Musk’s deeds but I think this moralizing is only happening because no one’s bothered to research the other carmakers and their shareholders.

The Quandts are probably worse, off hand.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

the poi posted:

I’ve been waiting for the highland performance and am seriously torn between ultra red and blue. I’m not a red car person but it looks rad.

Samesies. Not that I could afford the Performance but I'm hoping that trim pushes some of the inventory models down in price a bit. Ultra Red looks absolutely sick in person. The blue is nice but it's not the same WoW factor as the red.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Thing is with Musk you don't need to research because he loudly and continuously lets you know, and never lets you forget it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
n/m

Nov 6, 2002

I don't want anything to do with Nazi's, that's why I only buy VAG.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The only ethical car purchase is a used Spark EV.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Wayne Knight posted:

The only ethical car purchase is a used Detroit Electric.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

The only ethical car purchase is a used Spark EV.

those things are so cute. I wonder if enough were made that you'll be able to do kit upgrades/maintenance on them. The LEAF is already sort of in that zone.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Elon uses Twitter to platform and literally promote some of the worst people and ideas in our country, his ability to do this is a direct result of his control over Tesla. I wouldn't buy a Ford if Henry for was still publishing the Dearborn Independent.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I think the part getting glossed over is its fine to buy what you want but don’t pretend/ sell it as its a moral good when you do.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I love that this goofy fratboy-looking dude is one of the better EV reviewers on YouTube and he’s in China of all places

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jimong5 posted:

I've come to terms with the number of people who will judge it for being an EV far exceeds the number or people who will judge it for being a Musk EV. I'm an adult and why would I care about what people think about what I have to drive and live with daily.

I bought the Y because it had the best charging network and the best cargo space packaging. It felt massively bigger inside than the Mach E and the ID 4.

One of the bigger reasons (out of many) why the Mach is kind of a piece of poo poo. It’s not even form over function, it’s marketing over function.

It’s got all the downsides of a CUV and none of the upsides, all in the name of looking sporty, and then it fails at being sporty ie it has inarguably sub par performance.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Man, I knew they weren't durable, but that seems like an extremely short lifespan??

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Muscle Tracer posted:

Man, I knew they weren't durable, but that seems like an extremely short lifespan??

That's the same number of different cars I've driven in the last decade. Including the loaner Jetta I got from my mechanic for an afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’ve had 5 cars in the last decade and if you expand it to 12 years then it’s 7. And if you expanded it to cars I wanted to buy but couldn’t afford then it’s about 40.