Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Ojjeorago posted:

If you’re that overleveled you don’t need to be running roulettes, just go play the game.

Being temporarily locked out of one roulette for one job isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, but on this note I just wanna say that doing group content kinda is the game for me. The MSQ narrative is way better than I was expecting, but I play MMOs so that I can do stuff with other people. When I first saw the FATE system, I was hopeful that it meant I would run into people out in the world more regularly, but so far it's turned out like most other MMO open worlds, i.e., you're lucky to see more than two or three people while out doing your quests.

So I just have the duty finder running for about half the time while I plod through the MSQ and any potentially interesting side quests (not too disruptive on a DPS job), which I guess is how I ended up in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Large, spontaneous FATE groups used to be more of a thing for leveling back at ARR's release, but the game ended up making roulettes, dungeons and other instanced content provide more XP so the community has gravitated to those instead. There is specific side content -- Eureka at L70 and Bozja at L80, what the game calls Field Operations -- that does the "roaming group of players doing FATEs" stuff.

There are some additional rewards for finishing 60 FATEs/zone in the last two expansions and sometimes you can find people doing those, as well as FATE groups in the Group Finder. Zones with beast tribe dailies also see a little bit more action as people might do a FATE while running through. Finally, there are communities that still run the big achievement and mount FATEs for each expansion whenever they show up; to do them you'd need to sign up for alerts on the Faloop! discord or some datacenter-specific discord.

As a rule, though, there's not much FATEing going on in random questing zones nowadays, especially not in Stormblood and older.

Nothing wrong with doing group roulette content because it's fun, but in the case I'd suggest keeping a couple of jobs running. If you're in HW you can pick up one of the ones that start at L50 or L60.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Let me down gently here, how bad is the end of ARR to the begining of HW.

I'm closing in on the end of ARR now but I know there's a ton of stuff before HW starts...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Skeezy posted:

Let me down gently here, how bad is the end of ARR to the begining of HW.

I'm closing in on the end of ARR now but I know there's a ton of stuff before HW starts...

It kinda drags, not nearly as much as it used to. There's some stuff about moving and people figuring out "what do we do now that we Won the Day" that used to be much longer and got heavily edited (some character beatss suffered for that IMO but it was necessary). But mixed into that and soon taking over will be the new plot points. If you're the sort of person to get hooked on those even as other parts of the story are moving slowly you'll get wrapped back into it relatively quickly. If you're not it's going to be until near the end that everything starts REALLY hitting.

EDIT: re-reading the question, I'm talking about the postgame of ARR. If you're coming up to the actual ARR MSQ of storming the Imperials and all that, it all moves pretty quickly after level 46 or so.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 4, 2024

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Bad how? Because for me the story ramps up heavily at the end of ARR and that section of the game is one of the most memorable parts of the whole experience (no story spoilers, just impressions)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm dyin' here post ARR. This stuff is pretty dreadful TBH. It's taking me like weeks to slog through these MSQ quests that give you almost no rewards and the story is over really dull and mundane stuff. I finished ARR like two weeks ago and I'm only at "Through the Maelstrom" and looking at the wiki, that's only like 25% of the way through this stuff and I'm really honestly considering stopping.

There's at least a bit more voice acting than there was for ARR and it's not nearly as dreadful.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Storywise it started to get a little more interesting for me once Garuda showed up in ARR.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm dyin' here post ARR. This stuff is pretty dreadful TBH. It's taking me like weeks to slog through these MSQ quests that give you almost no rewards and the story is over really dull and mundane stuff. I finished ARR like two weeks ago and I'm only at "Through the Maelstrom" and looking at the wiki, that's only like 25% of the way through this stuff and I'm really honestly considering stopping.

There's at least a bit more voice acting than there was for ARR and it's not nearly as dreadful.

It gets better, the next patches is kinda where the story actually starts. They didn't really know what they were doing for the ARR patches, since they were still kinda working without player feedback at that point (there was some stuff they could work on and change, but I guess this stuff needs to be locked in early). It's going to start actually building up to Heavensward soon.

The expansions have the same thing, with five patches of MSQ you need to playthrough before you can get to the next expansion, but they do it way better. The expansion patches all follow the same basic structure of three patches following up on the expansion you just did, and then two building up to the next one. Except Endwalker, that does things differently for reasons.

Something that you should know for the ARR patches: there's some side content that's required before you can move onto the HW. There are three 'hard mode' Trials for the primals that you fought in ARR (they're just 8-man versions at lvl 50 with more attacks, not really hard) and the Crystal Tower 24-man raids. Those you have to do or the game will just outright refuse to let you continue with the MSQ at a point.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Veotax posted:

It gets better, the next patches is kinda where the story actually starts. They didn't really know what they were doing for the ARR patches, since they were still kinda working without player feedback at that point (there was some stuff they could work on and change, but I guess this stuff needs to be locked in early). It's going to start actually building up to Heavensward soon.

The expansions have the same thing, with five patches of MSQ you need to playthrough before you can get to the next expansion, but they do it way better. The expansion patches all follow the same basic structure of three patches following up on the expansion you just did, and then two building up to the next one. Except Endwalker, that does things differently for reasons.

Something that you should know for the ARR patches: there's some side content that's required before you can move onto the HW. There are three 'hard mode' Trials for the primals that you fought in ARR (they're just 8-man versions at lvl 50 with more attacks, not really hard) and the Crystal Tower 24-man raids. Those you have to do or the game will just outright refuse to let you continue with the MSQ at a point.

Not really keen on that last bit tbh I know this is an MMO and all but not what I was into doing. Is that the only time you’re really required to do stuff like that?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Skeezy posted:

Not really keen on that last bit tbh I know this is an MMO and all but not what I was into doing. Is that the only time you’re really required to do stuff like that?

It is literally the only time non-MSQ content is required to progress the MSQ.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Patches 2.1-2.3 kinda suck. They needed more content quickly and it resulted in a Primal of the Week format.

2.4 and 2.5 are generally where the story picks back up.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

quiggy posted:

It is literally the only time non-MSQ content is required to progress the MSQ.

Oh okay, I’ll live then.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
That being said, MSQ will have plently of mandatory trials and you do need to play with other people to clear those.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

It's going to depend a lot on what you want from the game. You are going to get access to a lot of optional dungeons and the like, so even when the MSQ doesn't immediately grip you, there is a lot of things that you can just wander of to do for a while instead. The first half of the patch content is kind of similar to the beginning of ARR with some wheel spinning and some more world building. Once it starts to build towards Heavensward the MSQ actually is pretty enjoyable.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
All the 24 mans are a relatively chill time and worth doing at least once for spectacle and fun. There's a set in 70 and 80 that are known to be harder than the rest and they're still good you'll just get vaporized and rezzed going in blind. Same is true of 8 mans though they're divided into bite-sized single battle chunks in sets of 4.

It's usually LFR-tier difficulty in WoW for the most part. There's not a huge responsibility to perform if you go in as DPS(or tank/healer once you're used to what little responsibility you do get) so at least give them a try. FF14 reserves Real poo poo for optional extra difficulties.

In all seriousness if nothing else they're worth running once for the stories, which tend to be good, and the OSTs, which get even better with context! You want to go forward and back, don't you?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Normal and alliance raids are designed so that you can still beat them without any real trouble if half the party are new to them and/or drunk. It's only savage raids (and extreme trials and ultimates and and and) that are actually hard.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Skeezy posted:

More or less. The hard-mode trials are weird, being required. Not much of a reason for it other than to see the 'real' versions of those fights, honestly.

Crystal Tower is required because there's a bunch of stuff in there they decided they wanted to use for the MSQ and it being optional meant they couldn't. So they eventually ripped the band-aid off and made everyone do it.

Despite them being called 'raids', they're pretty chill brain-dead content, IMO. It's mostly like doing a longer dungeon with 20 extra people. Later ones are more interesting and I highly recommend them as someone who only does casual-level content. The expansions also have 8-man raids that are designed to be done as casual random groups that I recommend.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Crystal Tower has been so outgeared you can basically sleepwalk through them. The middle raid Syrcus Tower is especially ridiculous for how few mechanics you need to do.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah none of the 24p raids are especially difficult and the harder later-expansion Alliance Raids are only harder compared to previous examples, none of them are noticeably harder than their contemporary MSQ dungeons and they're all a fair bit easier than 8p Trials.

The Crystal Tower series is notoriously easy if you're even trying to pay attention to what the rest of the players are doing, Syrcus Tower specifically is a faceroll, to such a degree that there are people who actually refuse to unlock later 24p raids because they only use Alliance Raid Roulette as free and easy exp and get extremely defensive about that fact.

It's such a perennial problem that the devs have both added a scaling ilvl minimum to ally rou and actually added proper endgame tomestones to the non-CT ally raids, including weekly capped high end tomestones, a special currency normally reserved for current-expac endgame duties, specifically to sweeten the pot and dilute the concentrated "CT Only" population.

This has had the effect of reducing the rate of CT roulette pops to drop from "Pretty Much Always" to "Still Almost Always But Sometimes You Get Lucky and Ivalice Shows Up."

Runa fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 5, 2024

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm hoping Endwalker picks up because after buying this game two years ago after EW picked up a heap of GOTY awards, and having played up to just past the Tower of Zot, this is boring and I'm sick of these nerds studying in the library. I think all the previous expansions started better than this, especially ShB, which of course is a hard first act to follow.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What the heck...

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"just raided a biomechanical horror tower full of terrified captives whose prayers for salvation summon monstrous parodies of their gods -- when does something cool happen in this game??"

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Antivehicular posted:

"just raided a biomechanical horror tower full of terrified captives whose prayers for salvation summon monstrous parodies of their gods -- when does something cool happen in this game??"
The characters carry out an epic attack on an epic place every two hours (of play) and this one isn't remarkable (particularly because the horror aspect was revealed hours earlier).

But what I'm talking about is a lack of character drama. Every main character is currently static in their pursuit of the overaching goal. The only characters with anything going on are the twins with their dad disowning them and that's not terribly interesting yet. Stormblood and Shadowbringers gave most of them their own things to do, plus had new characters with their own stories to invest in. I don't wanna learn about aether or prophecy anymore. Maybe this is all around the corner. It's too early in. I just haven't cared for what feels like a slow start without a hook.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 5, 2024

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Well that’s ARR down, I think I can get the FFXVI stuff now which I was really interested in lol

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Okay, yeah, I think complaining about a lack of fresh character beats in early EW is pretty reasonable. Those will ramp up later.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It starts pretty low key, which I found a nice pause after the High Drama of SHB, but I get why some may dislike it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Okay, yeah, I think complaining about a lack of fresh character beats in early EW is pretty reasonable. Those will ramp up later.
That's good to hear. In my head I'm comparing it to something like the whole Doma plotline, which isn't fair since that occurs later in its expansion too.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

snoremac posted:

That's good to hear. In my head I'm comparing it to something like the whole Doma plotline, which isn't fair since that occurs later in its expansion too.

You're quickly coming up onto a point in Endwalker where you'll be thankful for the occasional breather arc.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Runa posted:

You're quickly coming up onto a point in Endwalker where you'll be thankful for the occasional breather arc.
Yeah I started whining and 30 mins later we're prepping to enter the heart of Garlemald and things are exciting now.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The XVI stuff was cool lol

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Endwalker:

Okay I see now why they wanted the schmaltzy burger dinner and bit of a stroll of an opening chapter to counterweight the sudden descent into people dying of cold and hunger, suicide, and your soul-kidnap dinner with Zenos. I liked Jullus breaking down receiving warm fire and hot soup. I'm on board now. Except the tailing missions.

And I suspended my disbelief just fine here since the game has always been clear that you have free reign of the world at all times, but it's just a funny rushed justification how Quintus kidnaps the twins but lets you leave because 'I couldn't stop you'. The threat to hurt the twins if you don't comply was just established. Of course he can stop you.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can always just not use the new skills if the combat loop is getting too complicated.

I know TPT is brought up here somewhat often and it's a personal choice but this might be a case for XIVCombo to shave a couple buttons off. There's a version named after a xenarthran mammal which goes too far but the base one is reasonable imo.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
As someone who has not yet played FF16 but finished the crossover event in 14, about how big of a spoiler is Clive's realization at the end?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Belgian Waffle posted:

As someone who has not yet played FF16 but finished the crossover event in 14, about how big of a spoiler is Clive's realization at the end?

Minor. Covers events which happen within the first quarter of the game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Belgian Waffle posted:

It's not one. It was basically in the trailers and pre-launch talk

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The way they did the dodge and precision strike mechanics was pretty cool in that fight.

Edit: and yeah you're not spoiling yourself with whatever Clive says in the fight, it's stuff that was revealed before release and also within like the first hour or so of the game. Hell, I think the demo revealed it iirc.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, I wish I could do some inventory management during the unskippable cutscenes for daily roulettes.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

snoremac posted:

Endwalker:

Okay I see now why they wanted the schmaltzy burger dinner and bit of a stroll of an opening chapter to counterweight the sudden descent into people dying of cold and hunger, suicide, and your soul-kidnap dinner with Zenos. I liked Jullus breaking down receiving warm fire and hot soup. I'm on board now. Except the tailing missions.

And I suspended my disbelief just fine here since the game has always been clear that you have free reign of the world at all times, but it's just a funny rushed justification how Quintus kidnaps the twins but lets you leave because 'I couldn't stop you'. The threat to hurt the twins if you don't comply was just established. Of course he can stop you.

And one more post to say I'm amazed how quick things went again from here. I was so impatient to complain yesterday. The first chapter was just pulling back the slingshot. Just did The Dark Inside and thought that character was going to hang around until the very end.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

snoremac posted:

And one more post to say I'm amazed how quick things went again from here. I was so impatient to complain yesterday. The first chapter was just pulling back the slingshot. Just did The Dark Inside and thought that character was going to hang around until the very end.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

snoremac posted:

Did you say or think The Line? "Wait, we're doing this now?! It's only level 83!"