Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Part of the S4 patch will be having more skill points in a skill make the visuals more exciting.

euphronius posted:

(Those were supposed to be in the launch version and were advertised for the launch )

oh yeah i forgot about that,

part of the reason certain d2 skills felt great was they looked and sounded great and vibrant. I hope they revisit the drop sounds because the sound of an uber unique dropping should be exciting, and even leggos/uniques; A smart move would be to have a different sound effect for the Exalted/Great Ancestral things.

say what you will about PoE, but those drop sounds with a proper loot filter are extremely satisfying and thats before they just let you pick what sound fx to condition yourself with
well that and the herald of ice crit sfx is something i still crave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I want the rag dolls back from D3 or Grim Dawn where they just go flying. The ones in D4 are alright, but I want to launch a mob into the stratosphere.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Doomykins posted:

This is the best part of whirlwind and I hate that the D4 whirlwind is "realistically" slow and weighty or some poo poo, with how fast early fury burns out it's like my barb does a 720 and fat guy wheezes, out of breath. Gimme the whirling dervish pretend fight poo poo!

Oh yeah. I'd take that arms extended pretend junk over whatever the heck they decided for this game.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
put a tasmanian devil WW reskin + sound effect in the store. give the people what they really want

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm still legitimately baffled they aren't selling skill mtx

It's huge for PoE, it's cosmetic only, and it's way more impactful visually than all the stupid armor sets and horses

I can only assume they will do at some point but maybe production is jammed up and skill effects are non trivial at this stage

plus then we can have several pages of howling about versimilitude when they add rainbow blizzard or whatever

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m still pissed off that D3 pc version never got the controller support the console versions got.

Also D2:R looks drat good.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

D3 whirlwind is the best rendition of whirlwind. Right click spin2win.

I did barb in S1 and was able to recreate it mostly. Lots of yelling and paragon into fury generation. Felt good once fury generation was solved.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
I mean, I was just making fun of all of the crying from D2's appearance (nearly quarter of a century ago), but it's nice to see it still lives on to this day :3:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
? people were complaining about how d2 looked? people loved how d2 looked

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It was 30,000 years ago now but I remember people complained about the low resolution and somewhat outdated graphics at launch, they were dumb though.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
pretty sure I remember seeing a letter to a magazine praising nox for how sharp its graphics were in comparison to d2, back then.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

640x480 was harsh

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

LoD gave us 800x600 and restored balance to the universe

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

quote:

if they worked on the "Game Play" for 3 years it sucks too, in 3 years they shoud come up with something better. in 3 years westwood can do diablo 10

first verse, same as the second

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
ah makes sense, i guess I was thinking of d2's art style more than the graphics quality. i do somewhat recall people complaining about sprites vs 3d animations

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Act 1 doesn’t look great.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I always giggle a bit when people talk about Diablo being "dark" while, for example, D2's Act 2 is a searing yellow desert.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

bio347 posted:

I always giggle a bit when people talk about Diablo being "dark" while, for example, D2's Act 2 is a searing yellow desert.

Those people are still stuck in D1's version of Hell

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bio347 posted:

i dont think you understand what the word means in the context theyre using it

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Diablo 3 is the geometry wars of action RPGs

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

victrix posted:

first verse, same as the second

Seeing the name Westwood makes me sad.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The guy who started ConceptArt.org had a problem with it. He was working on IceWind Dale portrait art at the time. He said something along the lines of:

"You had 256 colors, and you chose brown."

I guess it landed him in some hot water at the time. I took a class with him once where he talked about it. I tried to pull up a quote but google results for "jason manley controversy" are instead showing me he was a scam artist who ripped off his own school and then got cancelled for SA and grooming.

The games industry is a cesspool.

e: yeah sorry that took a wild turn but sadly doesn't feel out of place in a blizzard related thread

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 5, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
:stare:

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Haven't logged in since s1. DL'd the PTR and made a character. No altar of lilith progression. Logged into eternal realm to confirm I still had it. Made a season 3 char and ditto. Am I SoL?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
who knows. all you were supposed to have to do is log in with the character(s) who had progression for it to save. maybe open a ticket or something idk

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Disconnecting in the middle of a cutscene for the mother loving win. Extra points for not being able to immediately reconnect because the server is still processing that my character logged out unexpectedly! Very good poo poo. Love the era of always-online/live service gaming.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Yeah it seems kind of ridiculous how long it takes them to process a disconnect. I get that blips are going to happen, but why does it take four loving minutes for the servers to see it?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Mind over Matter posted:

Yeah it seems kind of ridiculous how long it takes them to process a disconnect. I get that blips are going to happen, but why does it take four loving minutes for the servers to see it?

Insert stash joke here

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Is there any sort of de facto marketplace for trading between players in-game? I’ve completed something like 20 Duriel runs, still haven’t gotten a Flickerstep to drop, and there are a lot of other things that I’d rather be doing.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Ersatz posted:

and there are a lot of other things that I’d rather be doing.

Like, besides playing Diablo 4? Because there's only one other activity within the game besides doing boss runs.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

bamhand posted:

Like, besides playing Diablo 4? Because there's only one other activity within the game besides doing boss runs.
I was anticipating this response, but the question remains. Toward your point though, I imagine that’s why Blizzard hasn’t facilitated the formation of something as simple as a trade hub. What surprises me more though is that players haven’t created a de facto one themselves. Are there simply not enough people online at a given time?

But yes, there are other things I’d rather be doing with my time in-game than repeatedly killing Duriel

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Ersatz posted:

Is there any sort of de facto marketplace for trading between players in-game? I’ve completed something like 20 Duriel runs, still haven’t gotten a Flickerstep to drop, and there are a lot of other things that I’d rather be doing.

There are trading sites like diablo.trade but I though you can't trade uniques?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Kaysette posted:

There are trading sites like diablo.trade but I though you can't trade uniques?
Thanks! I thought the ability to trade uniques (but not uber-uniques) was recently patched in.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
You can buy stacks of summoning material. I think that's the best you can do besides joining 3 other people to share theirs.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Ersatz posted:

Thanks! I thought the ability to trade uniques (but not uber-uniques) was recently patched in.

I believe that's on the PTR currently, so another couple of months for live.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Okay played some more PTR now, there are hundreds of streamers doing this already so will be brief but:

It's good. Game feels more solid.
More fun builds and less completely broken one-shot builds.
All the damage things that were previously worthless, like earthquakes dust devils blood pools etc, now scale directly with your weapon scaling or whatever so suddenly all of them are actually good.
Also things like 200billion damage HOTA slams being gone means those fun builds are not competing with absolutely insane builds anymore and means they are suddenly worthwhile.
There are still some very common top builds though, sorcerer has some near-infinitely repeating ice kind of thing that is bonkers.
The game difficulty seems... more even? Less random oneshots from enemies, better scaling overall, etc.
And all this is without a seasonal mechanic on top. If we also had vamp powers now, I would probably never stop playing.

Itemization is much better. Case closed.
End game town runs and scanning items are much faster. Everything is in the same place.
You insta-salvage rares, scan your Legendaries for things with Greater Affixes and everything else is auto-junk so it goes fast.
Then it is more about upgrading and tempering those and finding better temper manuals and etc than it is about grinding for good drops. This is great because drops are either hit or miss but upgrade mats are a constant guaranteed reward.
Helltides rock now. Probably my favourite place to be. Can't actually kill the Hellborn yet, they all are tanky AF and have very frustrating lightning passives, basically my barb's natural enemy. Need better gear to kill these assholes.
The Pit is great. Just kill everything and get stuff and it takes 4 minutes. I can do 5 pit runs before the next Seinfeld ep.
Masterworking is basically just the previous upgrade system but with more upgrade tiers, a much higher resource cost, and a random element added.
Tempering though is the really really great thing which is huge for build variety and customization. Unlike affixes you can put good tempers on multiple items and the bonuses stack. Also it's like having 3 affixes per item. Recipe variety is huge, there are a huge amount of bonuses to choose from. Lots of stuff.
Imprinting aspects is expensive as gently caress! So you won't be doing that thoughtlessly anymore.

What else to say. Game good now. Can't wait for S4.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 5, 2024

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

What I am still missing is some ultimate end goal. The grind to the top now is much longer and much more enjoyable, there are more end bosses, lvl200 bosses etc, but once you can best all that, you are probably again out of things to do.

I’d love some kind of leaderboard or PvP related event where you get permanent rewards for being on top. Something concrete to chase. Maybe each week the top character is ’killed’ or ’ascended to the heavens’ and immortalized into a permanent hall of fame. Something like that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Really sounding like they got rid of the poo poo that sucks

Was there a deliberate decision to make all those secondary skill effects like dust devils and earthquakes not scale? Or did they just not get to implement and test it until now? I’m endlessly confused how these massive budget games end up like this.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bisse posted:

What I am still missing is some ultimate end goal. The grind to the top now is much longer and much more enjoyable, there are more end bosses, lvl200 bosses etc, but once you can best all that, you are probably again out of things to do.

I’d love some kind of leaderboard or PvP related event where you get permanent rewards for being on top. Something concrete to chase. Maybe each week the top character is ’killed’ or ’ascended to the heavens’ and immortalized into a permanent hall of fame. Something like that.

Play until you're bored and then wait for Next Season, I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

At least we are trending in the right direction when it comes to the endgame. I would have played more of the prior seasons if I had had more realistic odds to find items I wanted to "complete" my character and/or test gimmick builds while pushing higher level content like it looks we can do with the new portal you can go through in town.