Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Thula is definitely fine. Vidor is dead as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Probably. He gets his head crushed when Nolan smashes his fists into both sides. This itself doesn't kill him immediately, he's seen staggering backwards but then when he falls down Nolan is crushing his head even further by jamming his boot on top of him.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I think the line, in the comics anyway, is catastrophic damage to the brain or heart. Everything else will heal on its own eventually. Still, as mentioned, it is down to whatever the plot requires. The heart damage thing came as a surprise to me as it is revealed right at the end of the run that all the healing comes from the heart. That's why viltrumites have a thing for chest bursting punches. Lucien took a spike to the belly and is fine, Vidor got his head mushed and is definitely not fine.

The viltrum that exists now makes no rational sense. I do wonder how long the show will take to get to the why of it. The Great Thing That Happens had me thinking: What? What?!? Why?? I almost gave up on it. It wasn't the worst arsepull in the run, but it's a contender. Time-skip boyfriend is #1, for me, and I very much doubt that he will be in the show. It undermines everything about a main character, for what? I really don't know. They have covered those themes already in the show.

I've left that spoiler vague. Comic readers will know.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 3, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Just use spoiler text

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Sure, but posters, myself included, find black boxes irresistible.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I remembered correctly. The Unopans were under Viltramite rule for decades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrpZ4fipU-4

Panfilo posted:

Probably. He gets his head crushed when Nolan smashes his fists into both sides. This itself doesn't kill him immediately, he's seen staggering backwards but then when he falls down Nolan is crushing his head even further by jamming his boot on top of him.
Had he finished crushing his head I would think he is dead, but Nolan ran off to help Mark before finishing him off by utterly crushing the head.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 3, 2024

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That was…..a little anticlimactic.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I thought the Angstrom fight was going to be most of the episode, possibly with an interlude for the Spider-Man Agent Spider crossover, which was a full-on comic. But yeah, not as exciting as Season 1's finale. And I see what that one review from TechRadar meant when they said the season had a lot of fake-out deaths. Kate surviving is consistent with the comics, at least, but it does feel like the plot armor is a bit more on display this season all the same.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Kate merely did the smart thing that nearly everyone predicted. At least we know Angstrom is dead

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Show is good, but weak climax for the season.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm super sick of multiverse stuff but this was a really great pack of 4 episodes. I just love the violence in this show, tv shows and movies need to be more violent in general.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

I thought the episode was pretty good. Not an earth-shattering finale but things moved forward on all fronts in ways I like - Mark's cutting out the college bullshit, Nolan and Allen met and will be escaping soon to probably come for a visit. The rest of it was just good material for Debbie, some good stuff for Eve, and overall I though the Angstrom half of the episode was entertaining enough and didn't outstay it's welcome. After the 5th multiverse trap or so I was like 'okay wrap it up, none of this actually matters' and they did.

I think they did a good job of showing how unlikely it is Mark would be the good guy he is by showing Angstrom's memories collapse in on each other. Motivation wise, it was pretty good - he can't tell exactly what is real because reality is meaningless when you experience infinites, but Mark's cruelty stands out as a very strong signal in all of those experiences combined. It just happens that our Mark is different.

Although I don't think Mark's horror at killing Angstrom was the perfect way to catalyse his desire to become a better superhero, just because Angstrom wasn't an important character, it does the job.

I liked it ending on the note that the only reason Nolan doesn't want to die in that moment is that he misses his wife.

also, Shrinking Ray hasn't even been seen since they didn't kill her off. Why bother keeping her around? Especially if you're bringing Kate back for the reveal - which I actually liked because it makes sense, even though she's a very minor character and the Immortal makes no sense to me.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 4, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I dont know if it was the release schedule or the content, but S2 felt extremely weak after S1. I genuinely hope they don't follow the same format with S3

Also I hope this is a final-final with Levy. I never really liked him as a villain, although the various comic book universe gags were funny.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Unsurprisingly, in the comics, it actually was Spider-Man and Doctor Octopus Mark flew into a fight with. There was even a crossover comic about how the events played out.

In terms of the Invincible comics, though, it went by about as quickly as it did in the episode, minus the bit of Not!Spidey and Mark talking.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

roomtone posted:

also, Shrinking Ray hasn't even been seen since they didn't kill her off. Why bother keeping her around? Especially if you're bringing Kate back for the reveal - which I actually liked because it makes sense, even though she's a very minor character and the Immortal makes no sense to me.

seeing as Kirkman is writing this, I get the feeling he wanted to do Rae better than he did Ray in the comics. Rae may still be "dead" in that her near-death was so harrowing that she's done being a supe and just wants to go back to having a normal life. Her powers may start working again and she does little things that satisfy her conscience of doing something. She may show up for a future "Avengers Assemble!" fight and be a for real death. I was reading on reddit that Kirkman's been stingy with granting rights for some of the future Guardians characters, so keeping Rae alive may have also been a stop gap for future storylines.

Anyway, episode was good JK Simmons continues to demonstrate how, sometimes, giving voice to written words can change the impact to the audience. Compare his "your mother is more like a pet" to his final line here. They're both directly from the comics, yet the weight of them (from my view) is very different. Speaking of taking more lines directly from the comics, I appreciate that they toned down Future Eve's declaration. In the comics, the way she was drawn it seemed like she was having a full on breakdown, which worked for how she tended to be written through the run, so I'm glad that this version was a little more controlled. You can tell how long she's been holding on to this, but 20 years is a long time and she's getting catharsis more than anything.

I would definitely agree with others that season 2 has been a lot more temperate compared to season 1, but I think season 3 is going to be a lot more insane

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I thought the Angstrom fight was going to be most of the episode, possibly with an interlude for the Spider-Man Agent Spider crossover, which was a full-on comic. But yeah, not as exciting as Season 1's finale. And I see what that one review from TechRadar meant when they said the season had a lot of fake-out deaths. Kate surviving is consistent with the comics, at least, but it does feel like the plot armor is a bit more on display this season all the same.

The death fake outs were lame, especially Shrinking Ray. That went from being a brutal death to a dumb fake out. I also thought the fight was going to do more of the Spider-Man/Agent Spider cross over. Was sad they didn't but honestly it is for the best if they couldn't use the Marvel characters for it. Really wish they would reprint Marvel Team Up 14 so I could buy it at a reasonable price. I'd rebuy an Invincible Compendium if they inserted that issue in.

Good season, probably not as strong as the first. I hope they can be faster between seasons. 8 episodes every two years is too slow to maintain any momentum. I have no idea how they can do the whole series at that rate. We likely need the show to run at least 6 or 7 seasons.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 4, 2024

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

hopefully there won't be as much of a wait since they announced season 2 and 3 at the same time.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Quite plodding and unfocused, that season was. Not terrible but so much room for improvement. Angstrom was a cool setup but felt ultimately fumbled; the "who are really the good guys?" thing could have had much bigger impact. Amber just had infinite patience for Mark because "he'S SAving thE WOrLd" until she is almost used as collateral and they break up, ok? Oliver requires care and is purple, who cares. Everything giving some interesting shape to the Viltrumites, like the books Nolan authored, is given 2nd priority to "there's a bunch of Facehuggers on a ship" who we almost, almost, almost lose to (only for yet another unaddressed cliffhanger). The show is so unwilling to tie a knot in a thread and it gets tiring fast.

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 4, 2024

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Not the best season out there but it did give me Josh Keaton back as Spectacular Spiderman so I'll take it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Serotoning posted:

Quite plodding and unfocused, that season was. Not terrible but so much room for improvement. Angstrom was a cool setup but felt ultimately fumbled; the "who are really the good guys?" thing could have had much bigger impact. Amber just had infinite patience for Mark because "he'S SAving thE WOrLd" until she is almost used as collateral and they break up, ok? Oliver requires care and is purple, who cares. Everything giving some interesting shape to the Viltrumites, like the books Nolan authored, is given 2nd priority to "there's a bunch of Facehuggers on a ship" who we almost, almost, almost lose to (only for yet another unaddressed cliffhanger). The show is so unwilling to tie a knot in a loose thread and it gets tiring fast.

I think part of the joke / gimmick behind this show is that there are constant goofy threats to the world popping off, like a blackly comical game of whack a mole. You beat down threat A, threat B pops up, cycle through to threat F and then the A and B threats start reoccurring.

Which makes it loose feeling and fun, but also means they need strong narrative spines to hold episodes and seasons together. Something this season mostly failed to deliver.

I think the sloppiness plotting centred around multiple cliffhangers teasing Angstrom in a row, but the sesquid cliffhanger you mention is also pretty bad. It's not something that fits the above formula, based on what we know about them.

I think the overall spine of the season felt clearer in the last two episodes, essentially the three (credited) regulars yearning for their life that they've lost, and trying and failing to recreate it, falling into despair before grieving and moving on. But a lot of the other arcs touch on this thread neither literally nor in a particularly meaningful thematic way -- at least, not in any real departure from the show's general tendency to have characters become traumatised and angst over it.

The show's lack of narrative cohesion really made it suck, tbh. Most of the thing was basically aubplots without any clear sense of direction.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

37 minutes in is a complaint I have with every type of security system

Just break the wall around the door! If the door's laser guarded or whatever, smash or cut through the sides and start pulling wires out! And in this case, just put a hole inside around the heavy door instead of lifting the thing!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I may have missed something, but what was the point of the Egyptian tomb bit? Just table-setting for later, or what? Seemed like an oddly long scene to just end up showing Mark flying by being sad.

I agree that season 2 was less eventful than season 1 and negatively impacted by the slow turnaround, but I still enjoyed it overall. I think it's tough to top the initial Omni-Man twist and that was an issue with the comics as well.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I can't stand the way this show does black eyes, just two big purple smooching lips

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Piell posted:

I can't stand the way this show does black eyes, just two big purple smooching lips

It just looks so weird and I can't believe they were so proud of it they did it thrice in the same episode.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I may have missed something, but what was the point of the Egyptian tomb bit? Just table-setting for later, or what? Seemed like an oddly long scene to just end up showing Mark flying by being sad.

It's the mummy from the one-off gag from Season 1. Presumably it's just going to keep being a recurring joke or set up to replace some characters that they can't get the rights to.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I very much enjoy the world devolving even further into a One-Punch Man-style universe where there is just a constant goofy thrum of super villainy where you beat up an invading Martian force and then the Sea People attack as soon as you're done and don't look now someone's woken the Mummy.

Pretty good episode. I'm unclear on why Mark didn't say anything to Eve at the end. I guess he's not into her and has too much poo poo going on to deal with it at the moment? I don't know if he's really obligated to address it; older Eve spent decades obsessed with looking for him after he went missing, but that doesn't mean younger Eve won't just get over him at some point.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 4, 2024

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I don't remember it super well but I think it was a gag callback to season 1 where the same egyptian tomb showed up, but Mark ended the story by unknowingly flying by it, and then just did it again?

I definitely struggled to connect all the links on that one.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think part of the joke / gimmick behind this show is that there are constant goofy threats to the world popping off, like a blackly comical game of whack a mole. You beat down threat A, threat B pops up, cycle through to threat F and then the A and B threats start reoccurring.
I do think this is key to Invincible's vibe, where some people are like "when are we going to get to the main plot viltrumite fireworks factory?!" and it's actually a story about spiralling superhero themed chaos with Viltrum as a throughline.

But Amber and "going to college" did definitely feel like a lot of airtime that didn't really contribute to that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the Mummy thing reads like a gag about shaggy dog stories -- I'm guessing they'll do that every season and nothing will ever come of it.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

That dino dimension was so sick. I cannot believe we didn't spend more time in the dino dimension. If you introduce a dino dimension to a story, everyone's going to be thinking of it. It's like that test at the beginning of Blade Rubber where instead of a question about petting turtles, it's "A media directs its story into a dino dimension; do you want the story to stay there?" If you answer no, then you are a bad robot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Angstrom Levy sure was a nothing villain.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Honestly, I kind of like that we had a guy whose powers were mutliverse-based, we did a fight, and now he's done. No need to summon in alternate invincibles from around the multiverse, we're fine with just the one universe, thanks. I guess we already had the fast time universe people before, but again that was a one-off thing and then it was done.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DoubleCakes posted:

Blade Rubber

Ah yes, the killer condom film.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Good season imo, even if the release schedule really hosed up the momentum. The season was definitely more about reacting and resetting after the season one finale, but I think that made sense and the human side of things was handled much better than in the comics.

The stage is set well for what they're clearly planning on for season 3 and its gonna be great when it releases in a few years.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

E: nvm

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 4, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is this following the comics that closely? I read a bunch of them years and years ago (I think I got up to Thraxis) and I don't remember a lot of this poo poo. That might just be my bad memory.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm sure in the comics it felt less offputting to introduce him as an antagonist and then bring him back down the line, but it was a weird choice to set him up as the main antagonist for this season and then he just fucks off for six episodes before coming back to just eat poo poo spectacularly. He didn't really even have a plan beyond sending Mark into a few portals to try and weaken him, which didn't work, and then beat him to death when he was tired, which DEFINITELY didn't work.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

bookmarking dis post

This is a lovely thing to post in the spoiler free thread.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Is this following the comics that closely? I read a bunch of them years and years ago (I think I got up to Thraxis) and I don't remember a lot of this poo poo. That might just be my bad memory.

Yeah. The order of events is different and I think they cut out a couple battle of the week villain fights but otherwise it’s been pretty spot on

The only major change from the comics this season was that Debbie was the one with Mark when Anissa shows up in the comics and the show did it better

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Good Citizen posted:

Nothing to see here

Seeing as, after making some changes in season 1, season 2 seems to be a more straightforward copy of the main comic arcs. There's a looooot of speculation we can hold onto for future season reactions.

Is this what it was like for the book readers when the Red Wedding happened in GoT? Not trying to be smug or anything, but there's a bunch of things over the past couple episodes where I'm going "don't respond, leave it alone. Dont ruin the suspense with even vague statements"

Aces High fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Aces High posted:

Seeing as, after making some changes in season 1, season 2 seems to be a more straightforward copy of the main comic arcs. There's a looooot of posts we can hold onto for future season reactions.

Is this what it was like for the book readers when the Red Wedding happened in GoT? Not trying to be smug or anything, but there's a bunch of things over the past couple episodes where I'm going "don't respond, leave it alone. Dont ruin the suspense with even vague statements"

You’re right I’m an idiot and even being vague was lovely. I removed it