Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Those panels reminded me that I started reading X-Men Red and found it to be that grim, overly serious and frankly boring retread of seeing mutants get their poo poo pushed in before someone makes a speech for two pages and the bad guy with a thousand kill count (and in this case a billion) doesn't get killed for it because they are going to be used in future books.

Then realized I was reading the first volume of it and there's a second one that's way more interesting and innovative written by Ewing. Bit man I was confused for a while on why ppl recommended it.

Also really liking Way of X so far. Made me want to go back and finish up those Xmen legacy Legion comics I read partway.

Look man, there was a period years back where everyone had a mass psychosis and really loved Tom Taylor comics for some reason, I didnt fully understand it at the time and every passing year makes it less clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I wish the story that was started in SWORD would have continued. It felt like it had so much promise and was unique. I'm also a sucker for Manifold

It's largely continued in Red, which picks up the plot left by the stinger in Sword. That said, I do wish more of the characters from SWORD carried over. Manifold was greatly missed, mostly because of how great Ewing writes him.

Alaois posted:

Look man, there was a period years back where everyone had a mass psychosis and really loved Tom Taylor comics for some reason, I didnt fully understand it at the time and every passing year makes it less clear

Never read his Red, but Tom Taylor gave us Gabby Kinney. His sins are forgiven, as far as I'm concerned.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
This is the first I've heard anything really negative about Taylor's Red, which I liked very much (and was the best thing going in the X-books at the time by far).

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

danbanana posted:

This is the first I've heard anything really negative about Taylor's Red, which I liked very much (and was the best thing going in the X-books at the time by far).

There’s always a guy who doesn’t like the good and popular thing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I do get the overly grim complaint with Taylor's Red since iirc, it involved Cassandra Nova putting a whammy on the entire planet to genocide mutants or something.

That said, it also had Gabby call Namor Ablantis, so imo 10/10 no notes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

danbanana posted:

Yeah the common opinion was the whole new status quo doing away with X-Men Red was the one negative.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I liked red when it first came out but I went back to it a year or so ago and it definitely has some problems with Taylor viewing bigotry as an information problem that can be solved if you just show the bigots real facts that don't come from Fox news

It does have Gabby having a girl crush so not entirely bad tho

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Taylor does have a very naive worldview at times, his Nightwing is kind of similar in that it has Grayson doing all the stuff people complain about Batman not doing, ie tackling the causes of crime by funding housing, food scarcity and other social programs, and having the Titans fighting deforestation, but honestly, I'd rather the escapist superhero stories be escapist stories where the good guys can actually win against the real villains of today than have yet another deconstruction that thinks "What if SUPERMAN... was EVIL!" is at all meaningful.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Every time I read a Tom Taylor comic it feels like he's writing it directly for prople who talk about comics on Twitter

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I really liked All New Wolverine :/ I guess I haven't read much of his besides that and X-Men Red vol 1?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
All new wolverine fortunately still holds up and is great

Personally I think Taylor can have flaws in his work and occasionally just has some very poorly thought out ideas like the school shooter thing in Superman, but I can't really bring myself to hate on the guy because you can tell that he's trying even when he misses the mark

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not going to lie, I genuinely had Tom Taylor and Tom King mixed up in my head for a minute there and got really confused by Site's comment.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Living the meme

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Tom Taylor’s doing some good work with DC, Titans and Nightwing are both excellent

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alaois posted:

Is he the guy who wrote that green lantern gets tortured for awhile series. Cuz I had to drop that. He feels like he would be the worst person to have a conversation with.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not going to lie, I genuinely had Tom Taylor and Tom King mixed up in my head for a minute there and got really confused by Site's comment.

Lol that's the guy I was thinking of.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
If X-Men Red (Taylor's version) is the worst book in your lineup, you're in a good place. if it's the best book, you're really not. I think a lot of the fond memories of that book are based on how dire everything else coming out at the time was. Like, X-Men Blue was sort of vaguely interesting but mostly by flitting from concept to concept really quickly and not exploring any of them fully, and X-Men Gold was a disaster. A whole comic where the brief seemed to be "Claremont, but done worse, and excessively heterosexual." Given that, I think a lot of us were willing to overlook the dumber ideas of Taylor's run.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

At least twice on this very website people got upset I was speaking so highly of an ex-CIA agent's work and it always took me a second to go "You can be Australian and join the CIA?"

srypher posted:

Tom Taylor’s doing some good work with DC, Titans and Nightwing are both excellent

His very brief Suicide Squad run as well.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Tom taylors superior iron man loving ruled man :colbert:

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Tom Taylor’s comics are very optimistic and maybe trend a little too neoliberal but sometimes it’s nice to read comics where generally nice things happen and characters treat each other well and the art is usually great. So it’s a very specific flavor. I can’t read it constantly, but 2-3 times a new volume of Taylor’s Nightwing hits good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rochallor posted:

If X-Men Red (Taylor's version) is the worst book in your lineup, you're in a good place. if it's the best book, you're really not. I think a lot of the fond memories of that book are based on how dire everything else coming out at the time was. Like, X-Men Blue was sort of vaguely interesting but mostly by flitting from concept to concept really quickly and not exploring any of them fully, and X-Men Gold was a disaster. A whole comic where the brief seemed to be "Claremont, but done worse, and excessively heterosexual." Given that, I think a lot of us were willing to overlook the dumber ideas of Taylor's run.

Gold gave us that nice Gambit/Rogue wedding instead of Kitty/Colossus which seemed like one cool thing that happened. I wasn't reading it much at the time, I tried several books including Red, it didn't seem like a great era but at least it was I guess a warm up, bringing back and using classic characters more after Bendis etc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Heavy Metal posted:

Gold gave us that nice Gambit/Rogue wedding instead of Kitty/Colossus which seemed like one cool thing that happened. I wasn't reading it much at the time, I tried several books including Red, it didn't seem like a great era but at least it was I guess a warm up, bringing back and using classic characters more after Bendis etc.

It's so funny that the Kitty/Colossus wedding bait and switch ended up being really, really popular and gave us some great books and it happened around the same time as the Batman/Catwoman bait and switch that pissed off so many people and I think really turned a lot of people off the book and Tom King in general.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, part of what's cool about the Rogue/Gambit marriage happening and sticking to this day is so few things like that happen with these iconic characters. Bat/Cat would've ruled as the new status quo for a couple decades, let those crazy kids get together.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I disliked the Bendis era so much that the mediocre stuff they were putting out after was Fine to me. Up until Age of X-Man which I couldn't get halfway through before quitting.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Age of Xman might be the weirdest thing the Big 2 ever published. I don't know if it's good but it is bizarre poo poo that I expect people to rediscover in 15 years and go nuts over.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

For sure, part of what's cool about the Rogue/Gambit marriage happening and sticking to this day is so few things like that happen with these iconic characters. Bat/Cat would've ruled as the new status quo for a couple decades, let those crazy kids get together.

I think what helps is when you come down to it, Kate/Peter is something that should be moved past from and has also been a Thing. Bruce/Selina feels like it's a lot more healthy and is something that should be given its time in the spotlight.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I was catching up on Death of X and it just struck me how loving _bonkers_ the Marvel Universe populace is.

"That guy shoots popsicles from his fingers! Grape-flavored ones!" : BURN HIM! Let's form multiple government and private organizations dedicated to restricting and eliminating him and those like him! I have a list of twenty racial slurs ready to go!

"Hey, we're throwing magical alien gas clouds toward your city explicitly to turn you into us!" : Why, be my guest! We'll just stop our lives and evacuate millions of people, while leaving hundreds of thousands there to maybe turn into living nuclear reactors and explode the planet with a sneeze. Have a complimentary mint!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sephyr posted:

I was catching up on Death of X and it just struck me how loving _bonkers_ the Marvel Universe populace is.

"That guy shoots popsicles from his fingers! Grape-flavored ones!" : BURN HIM! Let's form multiple government and private organizations dedicated to restricting and eliminating him and those like him! I have a list of twenty racial slurs ready to go!

"Hey, we're throwing magical alien gas clouds toward your city explicitly to turn you into us!" : Why, be my guest! We'll just stop our lives and evacuate millions of people, while leaving hundreds of thousands there to maybe turn into living nuclear reactors and explode the planet with a sneeze. Have a complimentary mint!
Inhumans had access to the media spin house of RRRRRRRICHARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I really liked Age of X-Man. All the books were pretty good, and the idea of an X-Men alt reality dystopia that's clean and manicured and peaceful on the surface was novel and fun.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the basic premise of the event was pretty dumb, but all of the side books went real dang hard.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the basic premise of the event was pretty dumb, but all of the side books went real dang hard.

Is that where we got Psylocke and Blob?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I always get Age of X and Age of X-Man confused

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Is that where we got Psylocke and Blob?

Yes, in X-tremists.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Sexy Fred Dukes should have become the default mode to which he henceforth reverts and the fact that that hasn't happened is criminal.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
they did keep sexy fred dukes, they just made him a background character as the bartender instead of doing anything with it :(

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
They also made him a villain again in Fall of X, which I severely disagreed with

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gologle posted:

They also made him a villain again in Fall of X, which I severely disagreed with

Well only kinda. He was following who he thought was Cyclops and came around when he realized it wasn’t.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah by the end of that series he's back with the good guys

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

hope and vaseline posted:

I always get Age of X and Age of X-Man confused

Age of X is severely underrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Mike Carey's X-Men run is tied with Hickman's for my personal favorite. Sad that almost no writers remember it.