Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

How Tf you mix these people up

It's a mid 2000s movie called Devil's Den about a strip club where the strippers turn out to be demons starring Ken Foree and Devon ____

Do you really think it's that absurd that I was thinking of the wrong Devon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Little girl from Matilda remake plays a sadistic vampire in upcoming Abigail lol

The trailer doesn't inspire confidence in me

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There was a MATILDA remake??

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There was a MATILDA remake??

Yes, a Musical on Netflix and honestly I loved it.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I just looked it up and Mara Wilson was like 10 when she shot the original. That's wild.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wow it's almost as if the main character was a child or something

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Zelig. Pretty good, but it’s very hard to not think about what went down between the lead actors IRL later.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

I didn't have a major problem with it but I think for me the original was often carried by Pam Ferris as Truchbull. Emma Thompson wasn't really doing it for me in the role so that was a big downgrade from the original.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'd have to see for myself but I'm already not feeling Emma Thompson in that role.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
She actually comes closer to pulling it off than I would've thought going in. She's an actress who always gives maximum effort and I can't fault her for trying but ehhhh it wasn't up to the level of the original Trunchbull. But I don't think anyone could be really.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's kind of a shame they didn't bring back Bertie Carvel, who originated the musical role as a kind of psychotic panto dame, but Thompson was serviceable. Tim Minchin's score is fabulous either way.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m a fan of Minchin but I honestly didn’t really like the songs in the Matilda musical much (outside of Revolting Children, which obviously rules). They were very samey.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Bright Bart posted:

Only Cage I like is Luke. And only because of the first part of the second season, with Bushmaster.
Rude.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I really love Matilda the musical (film version). We have watched it quite a lot in my house as my son and wife like it too. I think the songs are great, I think Emma Thompson is terrific (and I think she’s having a wonderful time playing Trunchbull) and generally I think it’s succeeds extremely well as an adaptation. I’ve also seen the play and the film makes good use of the opportunities that it offers compared to the stage play. gently caress the haters!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Waffleman_ posted:

Wow it's almost as if the main character was a child or something

It's pretty rare, maybe very rare for an actual 10 year old to play a smart fifth grader.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think we should bring back Mara Wilson. Kids will want to see the original Matilda.

So I just watched through Lonesome Dove. Super well done Western miniseries, looked gorgeous, amazing performances from Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Duvall, Danny Glover, et all.

I started Return to Lonesome Dove. John Voight is such a downgrade from Tommy Lee Jones. They also didn’t bother remastering it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I had the same experience a while back. Tried to continue on to Return to Lonesome Dove and just couldn't stick with it because it wasn't as good and also the quality on it was crappy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Lonesome Dove has Dicks in it. That's all I remember.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

mutantIke posted:

Got my 20th birthday tomorrow and I'm surprising my friends with Movie Russian Roulette. Some great movies, some bad/fun movies, two bullets. Gonna spin a wheel and eliminate them one by one. Thoughts on the selection?
- Starship Troopers
- Matrix Reloaded
- Face/Off
- Serial Mom
- Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
- Con Air
- Vampire's Kiss
- Bulworth
- Kung Pow
- Hackers
- MacGruber
- They Came Together
- Southland Tales
- Freddy Got Fingered
THE BULLETS:
- It's Pat!
- Ma

Con Air won. Really shocking amount of racism for a 90s crowd-pleaser blockbuster. Still amazing. Nic Cage has such beautiful hair

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
awww yeah my Alamo opened up a second screen for the 1994 Dumb and Dumber retro-screening. Can't wait! (First one sold out like instantly and took 'em a month to add another date)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Little Nothings, a French movie about a struggling department store going under new management in a last ditch attempt to avoid being closed.

I feel like I’m missing something. I really got nothing out of it at all, to the point where I feel like I’m just totally off base and someone’s gonna say “no you don’t understand, it’s about_______” and I’ll be like “ohhhhhh”.

The description of the movie calls it bitingly satirical, but I’m not even sure what aspects of it were supposed to be satirical. It also calls it a comedy and there are some jokes, but they’re very tepid. There’s a lot of characters but none of them are very engaging and most of them are a little too broad, more archetypes than characters.

I dunno maybe I’m just not French enough to get it. Or maybe it’s just kinda boring.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Some of the best movies ever made are French, but they're all crime dramas.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

One of those crime dramas was actually about a soufflé.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is some Queen poo poo.

https://x.com/rafiews/status/1775616621362503890?s=20

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She looks wonderful these days

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BonoMan posted:

I really liked the Dragula sequence

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

She rules

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

That last one reminds me of Emma Chamberlain who is cool and good from what I can tell but always makes either that no-smile model-on--the-catwalk stare into the distance or even more commonly the mouth semi open Kardashian posting on IG face. I've literally never seen a story about her doing anything else.

e: A tour of her house popped up in my feedback (I have recommendations turned off so it was just a popular video) and she has the most oppulent (but also nicest and most tasteful apart from several huge closets) houses I've seen. Like, nicer than Taylor Swift's. I hope she has a good investment plan because podcast and YT money dry up at some point.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 4, 2024

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

That’s all pretty sensible!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Just got out of Monkey Man and had a rad loving time. Did not expect trans commune vigilante gang, but that loving rocked too.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Great movie too. Of course the best court room drama is Devil's Advocate

Incidentally i watched this today on a lark, it was better than i expected, which is to say, it was very good!

Honestly I expected a goofy dramedy, certainly didn't expect any horror elements. It had maybe my fave keanu performance. It's not a courtroom drama though

It brought to mind a question:

Of all the movie actors of the world who played Satan, who was the best?
And you know who would make for an amazing Satan? Tobey Maguire

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

And you know who would make for an amazing Satan? Tobey Maguire

He's doing something Satan-adjacent in Babylon fwiw .

Frank Silva as BOB in Twin Peaks/Firewalk With Me is essentially Satan

I think Seth MacFarlane could do a good Satan.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
George Clooney would make a great charming, twinkly Satan.
Idris Elba would be a good more serious Satan.
And Day-Lewis, of course.
Sarah Oh, left-field choice.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’m a fan of Robert DeNiro playing Louis Cyphiere in Angel Heart, if only for how unsubtle it is.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Idris Elba kind of plays the devil in that George.Miller movie

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Al Pacino's (human) character is named John Milton, and idk how to feel about that

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Michael Ironside is possessed by Satan or some poo poo in Mardi Gras For The Devil AKA Night Trap. P cool imo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Elizabeth Hurley in Bedazzled.

Peter Stormare in Constantine.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jay Rust posted:

Of all the movie actors of the world who played Satan, who was the best?

Max von Sydow in Stranger Things will always be a personal favorite of mine. I like it when Satans have fun doing their thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm actually kinda over satans having delectable, delicious fun. I want a tired satan