Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

InsertPotPun posted:

iran had agreed to 40 boxes.

Art of the Deal, baby! :smugdon:

Russia agreed to the same 40 boxes and agreed to add in some tea though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Nervous posted:

Russia agreed to the same 40 boxes and agreed to add in some tea though.

Russia and Iran each separately want the same 40 boxes. Trump agrees to each, then goes to two different banks and secures two loans now against the future revenue from each separate transaction. He then uses the two loans as cash and buys seventeen million napkins at $10/napkin from Ivanka's napkin company* and walks away from the two banks, Russia, and Iran, facing no consequences. The boxes had already been delivered to China long ago.

*This is literally how Trump's dad passed on his wealth to Trump.

Edit: I thought I was in the Trump lol thread. Oh well I'm leaving it.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 4, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BigHead posted:

Edit: I thought I was in the Trump lol thread.

This thread is desperately hoping for a wave collapse and the two topics to converge. Give me my loving last laugh I swear to God.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1775958948375306242

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

The "corrected" documents for that $175m bond have been posted online... and I'm just an accountant not a lawyer, but they still don't make sense to me. The included financials suggest that this company is not capitalized enough to cover the $175m payout that could be needed soon with this kind of bond. (They also included their parent company's financials, but... the parent company is not named anywhere in the bond and there is nothing to establish that they are guaranteeing this bond or the debts of the subsidiary company, so I don't know how they're relevant. The financial statements are also unaudited and incomplete, but I dunno how much NY courts care about that.) The language of the bond is weird too, and does not clearly articulate that the bonding company is first on the hook for payment once the time comes.

But the NY AG has already filed an objection over the most obvious problem, which is that this company does not appear to have the certification needed to issue this kind of bond in New York.

Separate from the actual bond filing, the way the chud in charge of this company talks about the collateral they got from Trump is... vague and contradictory:

CBS News posted:

The billionaire behind Trump's bond is Don Hankey, the chairman of Knight Insurance, which owns the subsidiary that wrote the bond.

Hankey said that Trump used "cash" as collateral for the bond, a total of $175 million.

"First he furnished about $120 million worth of bonds that we OK'd, so we assumed it would be investment-grade bonds and cash. But as it turned out, it was all cash," he told CBS News in a brief phone call on Tuesday.

But Trump retained that $175 million cash collateral, according to [Knight Insurance COO] Shah. He said the money is in an account that is "pledged" to the company. He would not specify the type of account. Trump paid a premium to the company that Shah declined to disclose.
... so is it bonds, or cash? Is it $120 million, or $175 million? Wait, hang on, you didn't even take possession of the collateral, you let Trump keep it and say it was "pledged" to you??

I'm not qualified to say how this will ultimately play out, but this does not seem to be the same kind of reputable, t-crossed and i-dotted bond that he got from Chubb (an actual big boy insurance and surety company). Most charitable explanation is that this Hankey guy (a "subprime auto loan" magnate, lol) is throwing his company into a line of business that it's never done before, and setting himself up to be wrecked by one Donald J. Trump when the time comes to collect from one Donald J. Trump. Least charitable explanation is that this Hankey guy is trying to pull a fast one on the court via bonding paperwork, which seems too stupid to be true so I'm not climbing out on that limb yet, but boy that would be something.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Also if he used cash why would he even need to make bond? Putting up the cash is sufficient

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

No, no, he showed them the cash. They had to use a telescope because it was very far away but he assures us that, should he lose the appeal, it will be closer now, and you can definitely touch it and use it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I'll be damned. She actually ruled. She didn't rule on what she thinks the law surrounding the PRA is but she did rule against Trump.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.648652/gov.uscourts.flsd.648652.431.0.pdf

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Desired effect achieved

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Hot tip for doubling your time to find a bond: file an obviously fake one first! Courts hate it!

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Blotto_Otter posted:

The "corrected" documents for that $175m bond have been posted online... and I'm just an accountant not a lawyer, but they still don't make sense to me. The included financials suggest that this company is not capitalized enough to cover the $175m payout that could be needed soon with this kind of bond. (They also included their parent company's financials, but... the parent company is not named anywhere in the bond and there is nothing to establish that they are guaranteeing this bond or the debts of the subsidiary company, so I don't know how they're relevant. The financial statements are also unaudited and incomplete, but I dunno how much NY courts care about that.) The language of the bond is weird too, and does not clearly articulate that the bonding company is first on the hook for payment once the time comes.

But the NY AG has already filed an objection over the most obvious problem, which is that this company does not appear to have the certification needed to issue this kind of bond in New York.

Separate from the actual bond filing, the way the chud in charge of this company talks about the collateral they got from Trump is... vague and contradictory:

... so is it bonds, or cash? Is it $120 million, or $175 million? Wait, hang on, you didn't even take possession of the collateral, you let Trump keep it and say it was "pledged" to you??

I'm not qualified to say how this will ultimately play out, but this does not seem to be the same kind of reputable, t-crossed and i-dotted bond that he got from Chubb (an actual big boy insurance and surety company). Most charitable explanation is that this Hankey guy (a "subprime auto loan" magnate, lol) is throwing his company into a line of business that it's never done before, and setting himself up to be wrecked by one Donald J. Trump when the time comes to collect from one Donald J. Trump. Least charitable explanation is that this Hankey guy is trying to pull a fast one on the court via bonding paperwork, which seems too stupid to be true so I'm not climbing out on that limb yet, but boy that would be something.

Speculative guess is he's playing the I'm totally hosed if Trump loses, but the POTUS owes me a big favor if he wins game.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
so it's the same plan as the guy in fargo?
*trump smudging up all the documents with greasy burger fingers and ketchup* "well jeez if you guys can't read it i guess i can get back to you in three or four weeks..."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Simplex posted:

Speculative guess is he's playing the I'm totally hosed if Trump loses, but the POTUS owes me a big favor if he wins game.

At long last, we've found the one guy who Trump won't gently caress over instantly.

*puts finger to ear* Hang on,

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

"It is unjust for me, an officer if the court, to have to reveal my reasoning"

--this lady

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

At long last, we've found the one guy who Trump won't gently caress over instantly.

In this case it seems to be fairly transactional which is a language Trump generally seems to understand. It's the people who do poo poo for free or want nothing out of it that really get abused by Trump.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Murgos posted:

I'll be damned. She actually ruled. She didn't rule on what she thinks the law surrounding the PRA is but she did rule against Trump.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.648652/gov.uscourts.flsd.648652.431.0.pdf

https://x.com/neal_katyal/status/1775961349111140523

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Simplex posted:

In this case it seems to be fairly transactional which is a language Trump generally seems to understand. It's the people who do poo poo for free or want nothing out of it that really get abused by Trump.

Poor, poor Giuliani.

I obviously just mean poor in the has no cash sense, not that anyone should actually feel sorry for him.

Caros
May 14, 2008

fool of sound posted:

Hot tip for doubling your time to find a bond: file an obviously fake one first! Courts hate it!

He can't be, though. Right?

Trump is a buffoon, but trying to defraud the court in your fraud trial. He can't. Right?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Trump: "Pay me now and I'll pay you back later"

later

Lackey: "please I need help!"
Trump: "Who are you I don't know you"

----------------------------
Trump: "Pay me now and I'll pay you back later"
Not an idiot: "I'm not going to stick my neck out for you"
Trump: "You are the worst traitor ever also you're dumb for missing out on this amazing opportunity"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Caros posted:

Trump is a buffoon, but trying to defraud the court in your fraud trial. He can't. Right?

We go live now to Mar-a-Lago:

Trump (taking the mic from the best man at the wedding he just walked into the middle of): "I'm defrauding the court during my fraud trial, can ya believe it? Folks, can ya believe it?"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

It's only now occurred to me that if Cannon does indeed spike the case yet it's gone to trial, and jeopardy has attached, they could just re-file charges based on a different set of stolen documents. Obviously they didn't charge every document he took because there were hundreds if not thousands of them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Not really. You can't just refile for new charges on substantially the same facts as before.

Prosecutors have tried that one weird trick before and (rightly) been slapped down for it.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Caros posted:

if we were to assume the bond is bullshit... would it be Trump trying to mislead the court, or Hankey and his company? All the signatures on the bond paperwork are Hankey or his companies' execs, the financial statements are for Hankey's companies. Seems like its Hankey sticking his neck out on this one, not Trump

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Wouldn’t be the first idiot to fling themselves onto a grenade for Trump in exchange for gratitude that will not be forthcoming.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Murgos posted:

Some pointed out in another thread that the best argument that she's colluding with Trump's team is that he hasn't attacked her over this.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

Separately, to the extent the Special Counsel demands an anticipatory finalization of jury instructions prior to trial, prior to a charge conference, and prior to the presentation of trial defenses and evidence, the Court declines that demand as unprecedented and unjust

She's pretty much straight up lying here as to what DoJ is asking for. They don't want final jury instructions, they want her to rule that the PRA and any concepts of Personal records are not applicable as a defense in this trial. Which she still hasn't done.

Jack Smith posted:

Moreover, it is vitally important that the Court promptly decide whether the unstated legal premise underlying the recent order does, in the Court’s view, represent “a correct formulation of the law.”

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

mdemone posted:

It's only now occurred to me that if Cannon does indeed spike the case yet it's gone to trial, and jeopardy has attached, they could just re-file charges based on a different set of stolen documents. Obviously they didn't charge every document he took because there were hundreds if not thousands of them.

To be honest, though, there's a reason the Florida filings mention but don't charge crimes he committed in Bedminster, New Jersey, and the consensus amongst the lawbrains is that he's keeping NJ as insurance against Cannon just throwing this all away.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tesseraction posted:

To be honest, though, there's a reason the Florida filings mention but don't charge crimes he committed in Bedminster, New Jersey, and the consensus amongst the lawbrains is that he's keeping NJ as insurance against Cannon just throwing this all away.

How does this square with Trump potentially getting in office and making it all vanish in a puff of corruption? Is Smith just ignoring that possibility as above his paygrade or something? It's way, way the gently caress too late now obviously so Donnie's gonna wriggle his way out of this one but why wasn't it set up to address the current poo poo show right from the start if that is an option?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The Islamic Shock posted:

Trump successfully argued essentially that he shouldn't pay the full amount of his bond because that would require him to face consequences permanent enough to make him regret an action for once in his life, so that's where we are

Edit at below: Trump finally going down on the dumbest technical reasons does track with the worst timeline theory most of us have

He successfully argued it because disbarment and appeal bonds are two completely different things. Disbarment is a punishment. The bond for appealing is not suppose to be a punishment, but a guarantee that you can pay the judgement if you lose your appeal, to be returned if you win. And because it's not a punishment, it's not suppose to cause permanent damage to your financial character, because if it DOES, then you will have effectively been punished even if you actually won your case.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
If the person who originally posted this and I are reading correctly (and the accountant upthread seems to have a similar take, Knight Insurance would be rendered insolvent if they had to pay up according to their own financial statement filed with the court

This is loving nuts.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

bird food bathtub posted:

How does this square with Trump potentially getting in office and making it all vanish in a puff of corruption? Is Smith just ignoring that possibility as above his paygrade or something? It's way, way the gently caress too late now obviously so Donnie's gonna wriggle his way out of this one but why wasn't it set up to address the current poo poo show right from the start if that is an option?

Oh, the first thing on Jan 20th if Trump is elected is to pardon himself of all crimes. Then the second thing to do is fire Jack Smith.

If Trump doesn't win election I honestly see him fleeing the country on November 6th to Qatar or something like that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Really scraping the bottom on the barrel if that's what he's putting forward.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cimber posted:

Oh, the first thing on Jan 20th if Trump is elected is to pardon himself of all crimes. Then the second thing to do is fire Jack Smith.

Yeah, but he can't pardon himself of most of the crimes as they're state not federal.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Goatse James Bond posted:

If the person who originally posted this and I are reading correctly (and the accountant upthread seems to have a similar take, Knight Insurance would be rendered insolvent if they had to pay up according to their own financial statement filed with the court

This is loving nuts.

It's nuts but is it illegal for a company to willingly bankrupt itself?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Arguably, the states can't convict (or at least cannot imprison) Trump while president for federalism reasons.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is it a publicly traded company, as if so than shareholders should be able to sue to put a stop to it.

They'd be seriously stupid not too.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

This is loving nuts.

lol reserves are a regulated thing too.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

bird food bathtub posted:

If the NJ stuff wouldn’t really help in FL anyway, keeping it in the back pocket either doesn’t hurt anything if Trump gets elected, or does let you go after him in NJ if he doesn’t get elected. The idea that he should only be prosecuted if running for president, or even the idea that if he loses this time he’ll disappear politically, is misguided to me.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

This is loving nuts.
oh yeah, the court dismissing trump's appeal and upholding the judgment would be insta-bankruptcy for the company depicted on this sheet of paper. and we haven't gotten into how thin this particular sheet of paper is - this is just an unaudited balance sheet, there's been no verification whatsoever of these figures and it's not a complete set of financial statements. I don't know what the New York court's expectations are for "financial statements", but in the private sector it'd be nuts to accept this piece of paper as adequate due diligence for demonstrating that this company can actually make a $175 million cash payment on demand.

Raenir Salazar posted:

nope, but one can hope that the court might take into account the bonding company's apparent death wish before accepting a bond from that company.

dr_rat posted:

Is it a publicly traded company, as if so than shareholders should be able to sue to put a stop to it.

They'd be seriously stupid not too.
it's privately held, mostly (?) by Don Hankey. If Don Hankey wants to implode his company for the good of Trump, that's his prerogative if he owns all of the company. If he doesn't own all 100%, I would imagine that the minority shareholders would have a good case for a lawsuit against him if he really is committing the company to a suicide run. But those are usually the kinds of lawsuits that happen after the fact, as the survivors fight over any valuable bits that they're able to pull out of the rubble.

(if it had been a public issuer, the court's demand for financial statements would not have been such a big deal, since public companies have to put out financial statements each quarter. If they were a December 31 year end, their annual audited financial statements would've been due this past Monday.)

e: Contrast this all with Chubb Ltd. (parent company for the issuer of the E. Jean Carroll bond), a $100 billion market cap company with over $60 billion in equity on the books, whose 2023 audited financial statements were already filed over a month ago and can be found in 30 seconds with a search on EDGAR.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, but he can't pardon himself of most of the crimes as they're state not federal.

He can't get rid of the NY cvil fraud issue, the GA crimina tampering charges or his NY criminal bribery charges. He can however wipe away all of the documents case and the Jan 6th insurrection case in DC with the stroke of the pen. Those two are the ones that are most likely to put him away for the rest of his natural life.

If he's president the state charges will be put on hold until his 4 year term is up. There is no way he would resign because that would start the clock again.

Most likely he'd pardon himself, use the next 4 years to screw everyone who ever had a bad thought about him over and then on Jan 20th 2029 fly to Qatar to live out his remaining few days. If he loses the election I'd bet he immediately flees the country.