Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

pentyne posted:

It's wild, primetime TV went from the 60s/70s of hard working, fundamentally good lower class working families to the 80s shows of the rich and elite feuding over petty poo poo and trying to crush and destroy all their enemies.

roseanne?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

CBS as a network has always trended towards catering to an older audience afaik. In the 60s up through the Rural Purge that meant lots of folksy country-themed shows. Nowadays it's a lot of dry cop dramas and really broad sitcoms it can milk for years and years.

If you would have asked me which network would have had the highest number of viewers between ABC NBC and CBS, I would have figured CBS would be dead last. turns out it's the exact opposite. CBS is so far ahead of the competition that it's insane. Practically every show that they have on there is a ratings monster. And I think a major reason for that is because they tend to skew older compared to the other networks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Radia posted:

roseanne?

the Dynasty era lasted less then a decade and the 90s brought back the lower/middle class family sitcoms in force

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

pentyne posted:

the Dynasty era lasted less then a decade and the 90s brought back the lower/middle class family sitcoms in force

Funnily enough the Dynasty era is more or less also the years when Columbo wasn't on the air (1978-1989).

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Basically all episodes of Kitchen Nightmares can be found on YouTube. Never watched the show when it aired, but it turns out to be great white noise when you're doing monotonous tasks

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Unperson_47 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEv6T5ux2Q8

Sayaka's Digital Attic troubleshoots and fixes an old Amstrad CPC. She has a very small channel where she restores, troubleshoots, and repairs old computers and consoles. She also has a separate channel where she records all her videos in Italian.

thank you buddy, I've a couple broken homecomputers in my storage, and I hope subscribing to this channel will finally motivate me to unfuck their many, many problems in the future

SpiritOfLenin posted:

i'm gonna be honest, on a conceptual level i find this very funny. like i'm sure its not actually watchable, but the concept of a youtuber known for really long videos recruiting his dad to make a couple of even longer videos is funny.

It is a good troll, yes. Though it makes me a bit sad, because if I weren't so lazy, this fuckery would finally motivate me to make a channel called Quin-Ton Shorties, and then I'd download all of Quinton's videos, rip them apart into roughly 30-minutes sized bites and re-upload them after editing. Both to make them more watchable, and to counter-troll Quinton.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I have no intention of ever watching Quinton's videos but I hope they learn to edit better and be more concise because it's important for people to grow and develop especially in terms of their hobbies.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

pentyne posted:

It's wild, primetime TV went from the 60s/70s of hard working, fundamentally good lower class working families to the 80s shows of the rich and elite feuding over petty poo poo and trying to crush and destroy all their enemies.

As I understand it, and as you might guess, it came down to advertising. There were a lot of shows set in rural settings because they got a lot of views. However, as advertising analytic technology advanced, the networks discovered that these shows were more popular among older people, while younger people preferred shows set in an urban setting. Such shows may have gotten less viewership overall, but they would have been seen by a higher proportion of the youth demographic, which of course is the holy grail for advertisers. Thus they could sell ad spots for more money despite getting fewer viewers.

This period in television history is called the “rural purge” if anyone wants to look up more about it.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I have no intention of ever watching Quinton's videos but I hope they learn to edit better and be more concise because it's important for people to grow and develop especially in terms of their hobbies.

His older videos already were edited better and more concise lol. But the youtube algorithm rewarded him for making a stupidly long video once so he decided that's just his gimmick now

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Is it really that great of a joke if it's borderline indistinguishable from what he usually does

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

yes, because those are also jokes

radlum
May 13, 2013

SpiritOfLenin posted:

i will never watch more than the first five minutes of this video, but it was very funny that quinton's dad is pretty much just quinton but older.

Same; I think I got what I needed to see just by seeing that Quinton's dad is just him.

I don't think making videos that long is actually interesting; comparing the time devoted to videos to anything else is kind of bad, but for this case in particular, I do think that I'd rather read a book or play a short videogame than devote hours to something I don't care at all

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Weird Sandwich posted:

His older videos already were edited better and more concise lol. But the youtube algorithm rewarded him for making a stupidly long video once so he decided that's just his gimmick now

His older videos are better edited presumably because he hadn't stopped paying his editors yet.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I actually think it's cause he was doing it himself. It's a lot easier to cut down 45 minutes of footage to 20 than 6 hours to 2.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

radlum posted:

Same; I think I got what I needed to see just by seeing that Quinton's dad is just him.

I don't think making videos that long is actually interesting; comparing the time devoted to videos to anything else is kind of bad, but for this case in particular, I do think that I'd rather read a book or play a short videogame than devote hours to something I don't care at all

Chrono Trigger is 23ish hours, that technically past short video game and squarely in pretty long video game

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

*laughs
20 hours is short. play a dragon quest

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ariong posted:

As I understand it, and as you might guess, it came down to advertising. There were a lot of shows set in rural settings because they got a lot of views. However, as advertising analytic technology advanced, the networks discovered that these shows were more popular among older people, while younger people preferred shows set in an urban setting. Such shows may have gotten less viewership overall, but they would have been seen by a higher proportion of the youth demographic, which of course is the holy grail for advertisers. Thus they could sell ad spots for more money despite getting fewer viewers.

This period in television history is called the “rural purge” if anyone wants to look up more about it.

The CNN docu series about culture through the decades has one on TV, and talks about how the show thirtysomething was one of those first data driven successes, as it was determined that while low in ratings it was very popular with that critical 25-35 financially well off audience who spend way more then all other demographics.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

General Dog posted:

I wish we'd just kept calling car horns "hooters" if that's the case; that's a fun name for it and we have enough terms for breasts already.

too true

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

cumpantry posted:

*laughs
20 hours is short. play a dragon quest

Oh?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Ariong posted:

Moviebob's eyes are bugging out at this

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
goku?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's kakarot, actually.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

ok admittedly i was thinking of DQVII on PS1 specifically

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hey folks could use a little help here. what are some popular YouTube channels that have very little if any Significant editing? I'm talking about channels like Shaun and the gaming historian.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

like physical 100, the contestants of the online creators thread sprint and fight their way to the keyboard to be the first to type "like quinton reviews?? lmao"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Mr Interweb posted:

Hey folks could use a little help here. what are some popular YouTube channels that have very little if any Significant editing? I'm talking about channels like Shaun and the gaming historian.

You mean like just reading a script over footage or a static image?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

You mean like just reading a script over footage or a static image?

correct

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Noah Gervais is the closest I can think of beyond the ones you've described. He definitely does multiple takes and the background footage is cut together from multiple gameplay sessions but it feels like a guy just reading an essay to you.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Like these?

https://blog.favoree.io/articles/best-video-essay-youtubers/
https://www.reddit.com/r/videoessay/comments/s9enur/long_form_video_essay_youtube_channels_on/

There's a bunch of battletech guys who just talk lore at you over near-static images but that's probably not what you're looking for :v:

e: The Well there's your problem podcast is also, as said by themselves, a podcast with slides.

Tons of accident investigation channels that are essentially spoken over looping stock footage or slides/photographs
Plainly Difficult
DisasterBreakdown
Mini Air Crash Investigations

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 5, 2024

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Fil5000 posted:

Noah Gervais is the closest I can think of beyond the ones you've described. He definitely does multiple takes and the background footage is cut together from multiple gameplay sessions but it feels like a guy just reading an essay to you.

In multiple videos, especially older ones, you can hear when he pauses and moves on to the next page, sometimes you can even hear the mouse clicks.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Clerical Terrors posted:

In multiple videos, especially older ones, you can hear when he pauses and moves on to the next page, sometimes you can even hear the mouse clicks.

Yeah, but he's also said (I think in a channel update video or maybe on twitter) that in addition to that he IS doing multiple takes and what we gt in the videos is the best ones even if there ARE clicks and pauses in there.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Mandalore is bringing home the bacon with his long-awaited Amnesia, a Machine for Pigs Review.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr Interweb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/@sfdebris

SF Debris has been like that since 2007 at least.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

CBS as a network has always trended towards catering to an older audience afaik. In the 60s up through the Rural Purge that meant lots of folksy country-themed shows. Nowadays it's a lot of dry cop dramas and really broad sitcoms it can milk for years and years.

Quinton Reviews: NCIS

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
One of the most insanely detailed and ridiculous tech projects I have seen. Man builds own Macintosh Classic using an old Wyse terminal, screen from a supermarket checkout and hodge podge of custom PCBs and old usb hubs. All in a perfect recreation case which he lovingly 3D prints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N9oz4Ylzm4

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/@sfdebris

SF Debris has been like that since 2007 at least.

I'm glad Chuck got his channel back after YouTube decided what he was doing, seemingly at random, wasn't a review or transformative work or whatever.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

tracecomplete posted:

Quinton Reviews: NCIS

I do not want to hear him talk about the Goth girl

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
quinton will watch every episode of hannibal and summarize them for your pleasure

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

quinton will watch every episode of hannibal and summarize them for your pleasure

This would have been a much funnier bit, especially if he just silently snipped everything "objectionable" and didn't mention it would come up in a later video that wouldn't need to exist for the bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
We Don't Talk About Hannibal