Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

what are the general best picks for strategms, before you get into the situationally useful ones? i'm like level 11 so still only have a few - so far i just know 380 mm is basically an extremely loud suicide note but i still love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

sebmojo posted:

what are the general best picks for strategms, before you get into the situationally useful ones? i'm like level 11 so still only have a few - so far i just know 380 mm is basically an extremely loud suicide note but i still love it.

Eagle airstrike, EAT, EMS mortar are probably the three that I’d pin as most universally useful without any caveats of “needs this ship module/needs to be played vs. this faction/don’t take if you already have one” etc. EMS mortar is a bit of a later unlock but you get EAT and airstrike very early.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Orbital Laser is up there for me as well, it might not be as efficient on longer missions but it's a very good oh poo poo button for a long while.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
orbital rail and 500kg are on my bar 90% of the time, orbital laser is strong but it's limited uses is a bit annoying, shield generator is tremendously underrated, gatling strike can shut down bug breaches on its own, and ems mortar is a lot better in roaming missions than most people give it credit for

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

sebmojo posted:

Pre level 10? Let me think...

Expendable Anti Tank
Eagle Airstrike
Autocannon
Grenade Launcher
Supply Pack
Laser Guard Dog (bugs only)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

sebmojo posted:

80% of the time I carry Eagle Airstike, Orbital Laser, Autocannon. Eagle Airstrike is the most versatile airstrike, autocannon is the most versatile support weapon, Orbital Laser is the only way to reliably kill some of the annoying side objectives like the eye of sauron and is also extremely versatile in use. Fourth is usually Orbital Railgun for bots and the mech for bugs

My other common loadout is if no one else is bringing EAT/Quasar/RR in which case I'll do Quasar/EAT, shield backpack (for bots) or laser dog (for bugs), Eagle Airstrike, Orbital Laser.

Piell fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 4, 2024

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

sebmojo posted:

Eagle Airstrike and Orbital Laser are my go-to's. They are just solid in pretty much any situation.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Eagle Airstrike is maybe the most broadly useful strategem in the game. It almost never comes off my bar.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

For heavy stuff: 380mm is better than it was at launch, since they tightened up the scatter. If your team is on am objective and there's a big bug nest nearby, run out and throw it while they finish the objective. There's a chance it will close all the holes, and it's all but guaranteed to at least close a few of them which will make it easier to finish off as a group.

It's also great for covering retreats from objectives, just throw it far.

500kg bomb and orbital rail cannon are both wonderful. 500kg is better overall (due to shorter cool down, and its ability to destroy objectives) but it's a little harder to use. Still, it can delete bile titans, and if you throw it before the enemy sees you it'll make the subsequent fight much easier.

And EATs are pretty much foolproof.

At the lower to medium difficulties, turrets will do well, since they can help you manage the stress of tons of enemies throwing themselves at you.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

sebmojo posted:

Best general calldowns are: Eagle Airstrike, Eagle 500kg, Orbital Precision Strike, Orbital Railgun

Most versatile support weapons are: EAT, Autocannon, Quasar Cannon

Depending on the type of mission, mortars are extremely strong too. Once you get into higher difficulties (7-9) surviving extraction is actually very difficult without a mortar or a well placed sentry.

Basically just keep trying stuff out; there are almost no completely useless items, it's just that some have very niche use cases.

Edit: Oh yeah, supply backback is extremely underrated too. It's very powerful both solo and in teamplay.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Cognac McCarthy posted:

380mm is better than it was at launch, since they tightened up the scatter. If your team is on am objective and there's a big bug nest nearby, run out and throw it while they finish the objective. There's a chance it will close all the holes, and it's all but guaranteed to at least close a few of them which will make it easier to finish off as a group.

It's also great for covering retreats from objectives, just throw it far.

500kg bomb and orbital rail cannon are both wonderful. 500kg is better overall (due to shorter cool down, and its ability to destroy objectives) but it's a little harder to use. Still, it can delete bile titans, and if you throw it before the enemy sees you it'll make the subsequent fight much easier.

And EATs are pretty much foolproof

sure sure. but instead of 380, you can drop anything else and also clear the nest

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Can you blow up bot factories through their vents with impact grenades? Is it just really precise?
e: I keep waiting for the door to open like an idiot.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Reiley posted:

Can you blow up bot factories through their vents with impact grenades? Is it just really precise?

the angle is really hard for impacts but yes

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Reiley posted:

Yes, but the aim is slightly fiddlier as the grenade needs to hit more towards the lower part of the vent.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

RC Cola posted:

sure sure. but instead of 380, you can drop anything else and also clear the nest

But the 380 is fun

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Expendable Anti-Tank and Eagle Airstrike/500kg are never ever a bad pick. Orbital Laser is a great "okay I'm fed up with this poo poo" pick. Orbital Gas has been growing on me because a direct hit will collapse a bug hole/blow up a fabricator, the gas melts the small fry and provides a source of area-denial that won't ignite your teammates.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Reiley posted:

You gotta arc it so the explosion hits the floor of the vent and not the back panel that normally bounces it downward.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

sebmojo posted:

People running 8s and 9s still bring Eagle Airstrike. It’s good poo poo and back up for use in seconds

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Reiley posted:

I usually put the targeting reticule at the bottom lip of the vent and keep a good free throw distance for the right arc.

sebmojo posted:

Everyone already covered this but as you're using orbitals and eagles, try to learn the pattern for where they explode and how long they take. Eagles come from behind you, Orbitals come from your ship and there can be an angle to them depending on where you are on the map relative to your ship, and some explode outward from a central point while others explode in a line perpendicular to where you were facing.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 4, 2024

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Eagle air strike and eagle 500 are always in my toolbag, the other two slots I vary to match my team loadout though my usual is eats + laserdog.

I’ve been topping the killboard for days now that I’m dialed in and 99% of that is throwing stun grenades at packs of enemies/breaches and air striking them.

EMS mortar is never a bad choice and I absolutely love it when someone on my team is running a grenade launcher or ac because they plug the gaps I don’t deal with well (bug holes when my eagles are down, and bile spewers).

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Saraiguma posted:

orbital rail and 500kg are on my bar 90% of the time, orbital laser is strong but it's limited uses is a bit annoying, shield generator is tremendously underrated, gatling strike can shut down bug breaches on its own, and ems mortar is a lot better in roaming missions than most people give it credit for

Orbital airburst wipes out bug breaches ridiculously well and never leaves my loadout on bug missions since I've discovered how good it is. I've tried the gattling to see if it was another one people are overlooking and it's not as good at that role. Gattling will get maybe 15 kills on a breach, orbital airburst will kill around 45.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

New 'bond trailer up. I loving love spiked grenades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhd9FYLLEPc

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm surprised to see so many recommendations for the 500kg, especially before the extra bomb upgrade. I tried to make use of it but always felt like it was overshadowed by other strategems that can be great multitaskers like the basic eagle airstrike. The blast radius is miniscule at the ground level so I can never blow up as many factories as I hope with it and have whiffed so many times when trying to take out a pack of enemies or a charger or something.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
EATs are all purpose, always in style. EMS mortar's an astoundingly safe choice. Laser Rover for bugs will fry chaff. The Eagle Airstrike is fine, but I like the Cluster Bombs more - considerably bigger splash zone *and* more uses. Granted it doesn't break spawners but spawners are barely a threat. Orbital Laser's a catch-all panic button that can stabilize a death spiral. 500kg is the premiere big guy killer, but can be tricky to use.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sticky Grenade can take out charger? Did it actually go down?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Eagle rocket pods are very underwhelming. Wish I brought an orbital laser for point targets instead

110s have basically 3-4 use cases: turret, tank, lone fabricator and bile titan*

*especially if you can Crack the back armor with handheld AT. Or just toss a second one.

They're reliable against these things, and pretty poo poo otherwise. But they're also low effort and free up you or your teammates to use aoe strats that aren't *great* against these targets more selectively.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

explosivo posted:

I'm surprised to see so many recommendations for the 500kg, especially before the extra bomb upgrade. I tried to make use of it but always felt like it was overshadowed by other strategems that can be great multitaskers like the basic eagle airstrike. The blast radius is miniscule at the ground level so I can never blow up as many factories as I hope with it and have whiffed so many times when trying to take out a pack of enemies or a charger or something.

500kg is mainly for bile titans, maybe the new walker bots have too but yeah it's not that great at general purpose stuff. It's an anti large that can do other stuff poorly in a pinch. I actually like the rocket pods vs bots, they one shot tanks reliably, do good damage against turrets and hulks and will target fabricators if you need them to.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

explosivo posted:

I only use it on chargers if I’m swimming in stun grenades and have nothing else to deal with it. The 500 is a great “make this objective building go away/please delete this bile Titan/tank” button.

Each strike has a job to do and sweeping up trash isn’t the 500’s.

Edit: that said my best kill streak with one was like 45 trash mobs. I had been pitching stuns at a breach and the blob of bugs got big enough and it was at that moment I realized I had burned all my regular strikes.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 4, 2024

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I was apprehensive about the Eagle Cluster Bomb for the daily order, but after a few matches I'm hooked. Takes out fabricators and drops fast enough to take out a whole dropship of bots if you have it prepped in time.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Orbital Precision Strike is also extremely handy and I find myself bringing it a lot for bugs if I want a second tool for Chargers/Titans after the 500kg. I'd recommend it if you don't have the 500kg and eagle upgrades unlocked. It has a very short CD, can 1 shot chargers, and finish off Bile Titans (not sure if it 1 shots them from full health but I've used it a lot for the killing blow).

Killing chargers with it is extremely easy, queue up the stratagem and throw it right behind them as they skid to a stop after running past you. They'll turn in place to take another run at you, which is plenty of time for the orbital to land and blow them up. Or just use stun grenades to make it even easier, with fancy bullfighting technique I've killed 2 chargers with one precision strike by locking them down next to each other.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 4, 2024

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Quote is not edit

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

explosivo posted:

Yeah, I would not recommend bringing 500kg before you get the 3rd Hangar upgrade. After that though it's lovely.

Early good strategems: eagle airstrike, autocannon, grenade launcher, EATs. The eagle airstrike has essentially never left my bar and I'll probably go right back to EATs once I stop fighting bots.

I'm starting to regularly clear bot 8/9s with quickplay using AC/airstrike/500kg/orbital laser and stun grenades+breaker. I struggle a tiny bit against the true heavies but the 500kg and stun can usually manage and a lot of people are running Quasar or orbital railcannon so they take them out while the AC just murders everything below that tier. And if i get a good angle I can take them out quickly anyway.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

He's never thought about doing it before.
But, it comes naturally.
Hands on his fellow diver's cannon and his own sack of ammo, moving with surprising ease and gentleness. Surprising for the other diver, as well, but that too surely feels natural... pumping out shot after shot of such an impressively large load.
His own cannon left unattended for the time being, but it doesn't feel neglected. Why would it, when it'll be his turn next?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

The 500 is a great “make this objective building go away/please delete this bile Titan/tank” button.

Yeah except it doesn't work on a bunch of the objective buildings :manning:

I really like the 500 in general. It's very fun and cinematic with the *thunk* and split-second pause before it explodes in the best fireball in the game. And it is really effective at killing elites if you time it right. But there are some things that it feels like it should do that it absolutely doesn't.

As noted, the blast radius is way too small. It can crack open a tank with a direct hit but it'll leave the trooper walking beside it alive. The blast isn't even big enough to take out two lab buildings at once. It doesn't have to be hellbomb size but it should at least clear a big circle of small dudes with fragmentation. It feels kind of pathetic that way.

And I don't understand why it doesn't work on all of the objectives. Bot fabricators, bug holes, spore towers, one lab building at a time, yes...but I've never been able to kill a detector tower, a jammer tower, or a gunship platform with one. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong? It drives me nuts that it can destroy a heavily armored turret or tank but a dumb radar dish needs a hellbomb (that won't even stick to the ground!) to kill.

Ravenfood posted:

I'm starting to regularly clear bot 8/9s with quickplay using AC/airstrike/500kg/orbital laser and stun grenades+breaker.

This is basically me except I'll sometimes swap the laser for the mortar, and I use the Sickle. Stunning a hulk and shooting two autocannon rounds into its face while it stands there dazed never gets old

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 4, 2024

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

LazyMaybe posted:

He's never thought about doing it before.
But, it comes naturally.
Hands on his fellow diver's cannon and his own sack of ammo, moving with surprising ease and gentleness. Surprising for the other diver, as well, but that too surely feels natural... pumping out shot after shot of such an impressively large load.
His own cannon left unattended for the time being, but it doesn't feel neglected. Why would it, when it'll be his turn next?

I'd definitely let another helldiver load for me, but I'm not loading for another helldiver.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sagebrush posted:

The blast isn't even big enough to take out two lab buildings at once.
Luckily, you only need to break one of them!

Jerkface posted:

I'd definitely let another helldiver load for me, but I'm not loading for another helldiver.
now you've fully recreated the grindr experience, but with heavy ordinance instead

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LazyMaybe posted:

Luckily, you only need to break one of them!

What? Since when?? I've been trying to reliably find the sweet spot to drop the hellbomb to kill all three but only one counts???

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sagebrush posted:

What? Since when?? I've been trying to reliably find the sweet spot to drop the hellbomb to kill all three but only one counts???

You just have to take out the one grey building

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sagebrush posted:

explosivo posted:

You just have to take out the one grey building
The one with the radar dish, specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Poldarn posted:

I was apprehensive about the Eagle Cluster Bomb for the daily order, but after a few matches I'm hooked. Takes out fabricators and drops fast enough to take out a whole dropship of bots if you have it prepped in time.

Eagle Cluster Bomb is an excellent horde killer, but it will not destroy buildings unless a lucky bomblet lands right in the vent