Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CapnAndy posted:

Sadeas is living in Game of Thrones, the dumb stupid fucker.

He would have done so well anywhere else, but Roshar is Honor's world, and that poo poo don't fly.

GODDDDDDD I still can't get over how (WoR spoilers) loving satisfying Adolin just being like "Nah, gently caress this!" and eye-stabbing Sadeas was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
tag that though

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Mordiceius posted:

GODDDDDDD I still can't get over how (WoR spoilers) loving satisfying Adolin just being like "Nah, gently caress this!" and eye-stabbing Sadeas was.

I stood up and yelled "Hell yeah! Let's go Adolin" when I read that. Finally killing that SoB.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Sanderson really built a wonderful antagonist in Sadeas

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I stood up and yelled "Hell yeah! Let's go Adolin" when I read that. Finally killing that SoB.

I also really appreciated that Dalinar was very worried that somebody killed Sadeas, while the others around him like Aladar were more like "good riddance!".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Torrannor posted:

I also really appreciated that Dalinar was very worried that somebody killed Sadeas, while the others around him like Aladar were more like "good riddance!".
"Well! That's one problem gotten rid of!" is all the epitaph he deserves.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Torrannor posted:

early Oathbringer is really funny like that, just the scenes played straight with Dalinar deadpanning 'none of you care he's dead do you' or stuff like Shallan excitedly trying to help Adolin solve the murder that HE committed

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This just made me realize something about the Cosmere. Full spoilers for all released books so far: I like that villains basically never overstay their welcome. The Lord ruler just works as a complex (but still unquestionably evil) character because he dies in the first book. Ruin is getting built up properly over Well of Ascension, and then gets dealt with in Hero of Ages. Sadeas bites it when the scope clearly grows beyond petty "realist" power politics in the vein of GoT, and moves into the proper "epic high fantasy" direction. Original Odium gets replaced by a much more scary version in book 4! Sure, Autonomy is still around after The Lost Metal, but she hasn't really been the focus of the books.

The Odium thing is genius, really. It's still the shard of hatred, but Taravodium is probably a lot more clever, and will at least at first not be as invested in just destroying what he can have as Rayse was. The overarching villain somehow both stays the same and changes a lot. I'm really exciting to see how Taravodium shakes out. And you have the hints about the Roshar/Scadrial cold (?) war going on in the future, and who is driving this? Freed Taravodium? Ruin-dominated Sazed? What's going on??

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Torrannor posted:

This just made me realize something about the Cosmere. Full spoilers for all released books so far: I like that villains basically never overstay their welcome.
Sanderson has very good instincts in that respect. Apparently Taravodium was not the original plan (or wasn't supposed to do it yet, since in retrospect the inverse emotion/intellect thing makes it so obvious he was being groomed for that it'd be weird if that wasn't foreshadowing), but while writing RoW he realized that Rayse was now getting beat two books in a row and wasn't a credible threat any more, which meant he needed to get hustled offstage and replaced with someone who might actually challenge the heroes.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

Torrannor posted:

This just made me realize something about the Cosmere. Full spoilers for all released books so far: And you have the hints about the Roshar/Scadrial cold (?) war going on in the future, and who is driving this? Freed Taravodium? Ruin-dominated Sazed? What's going on??

Wild speculation on full Cosmere:

Sazed is no longer controlling the shards of preservation and ruin, and when Kelsier takes up those two forces he becomes Discord instead of Harmony.

A theory.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

road potato posted:

Sazed is no longer controlling the shards of preservation and ruin, and when Kelsier takes up those two forces he becomes Discord instead of Harmony.

A theory.

i don’t see Kelsier craving that type of power. He’s always been more of a background operator to me (even though he did want to go out very publicly to send a message)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

road potato posted:

A theory.

I think it far more likely that Sazed's will becomes beholden to the slight excess of Ruin in his Shard's makeup and that's his change from Harmony to Discord

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Hero of Ages - Chapter 19

Kelsier is alive?!?!?! AND HE GAVE SPOOK THE POWER OF PEWTER?!?!!?!?!? WTFF

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Hero of Ages - Chapter 19

Kelsier is alive?!?!?! AND HE GAVE SPOOK THE POWER OF PEWTER?!?!!?!?!? WTFF

:allears:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I well remember your reaction to that particular scene!

Here of Ages is soooo good!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Torrannor posted:

I well remember your reaction to that particular scene!

Here of Ages is soooo good!

I've been laughing and giggling and oohing and awing my way through this book so far. It's awesome.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Stormlight talk -

I have been genuinely surprised by how much I love Shallan. I'll be honest, I was a little nervous about Shallan based on how people talked about her in this thread. When thinking about the other prominent women in his books - In Mistborn, I loving love Vin. She's my absolute favorite character in anything ever. For Warbreaker, I really liked Vivenna and her arc but Siri was fine... I guess.. and, honestly, found her kind of annoying at times. And as for Elantris, I think Sarene is one of the worst and most annoying characters Brandon has ever made.

By the way people seem somewhat split on Shallan, I was worried she would end up landing like Sarene did. BOY WAS I WRONG.

My favorite Stormlight character, by far, is Dalinar. I mean, how could it not be. But lately, I find myself most exciting when I come to a Shallan chapter - which is not at all what I expected to happen.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Stormlight talk -

I have been genuinely surprised by how much I love Shallan. I'll be honest, I was a little nervous about Shallan based on how people talked about her in this thread. When thinking about the other prominent women in his books - In Mistborn, I loving love Vin. She's my absolute favorite character in anything ever. For Warbreaker, I really liked Vivenna and her arc but Siri was fine... I guess.. and, honestly, found her kind of annoying at times. And as for Elantris, I think Sarene is one of the worst and most annoying characters Brandon has ever made.

By the way people seem somewhat split on Shallan, I was worried she would end up landing like Sarene did. BOY WAS I WRONG.

My favorite Stormlight character, by far, is Dalinar. I mean, how could it not be. But lately, I find myself most exciting when I come to a Shallan chapter - which is not at all what I expected to happen.

I haven't read RoW yet, as I'm gonna complete HoA, then Warbreaker, and finally Dawnshard. But so far, my favorite character in Stormlight has been Dalinar. An absolute chad of a man.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I kinda hate what he did to Dalinar by retroactively making his lovely character traits not his fault. Even if he says it was still his fault it kinda wasn’t.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It was 100% his own fault.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Invalid Validation posted:

I kinda hate what he did to Dalinar by retroactively making his lovely character traits not his fault. Even if he says it was still his fault it kinda wasn’t.

Dalinar was absolutely lovely. He might've had encouragement, but a recurring theme in all the Cosmere is that you're ultimately responsible for all your decisions and Dalinar is no exception

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

M_Gargantua posted:

It was 100% his own fault.

But you can't have his pain!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Unrelated note: Brandon Sanderson going this four-week break means we will get another secret project and, finally, a step forward for the Mistborn Movie/TV series since he said he is heading to Hollywood.

E: The more I think about it, the more I realize the Cosmere is a sitting diamond mine worth billions in terms of entertainment value if it's developed and adapted properly for Movies and TV Series.

A Sneaker Broker fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 4, 2024

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
One thing TV writers would have to be very careful about is casting. The Cosmere books won’t be finished for another 20-25 years, IIRC, and there are characters who may appear in already-published books but also those last couple of novels—depending on what stories Sanderson saves for last. Good luck finding an actor or actress who can hang out for that long and age the appropriate amount (maybe zero years, maybe hundreds of years).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

any sanderson movie/series would be better animated anyway

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Unrelated note: Brandon Sanderson going this four-week break means we will get another secret project and, finally, a step forward for the Mistborn Movie/TV series since he said he is heading to Hollywood.

E: The more I think about it, the more I realize the Cosmere is a sitting diamond mine worth billions in terms of entertainment value if it's developed and adapted properly for Movies and TV Series.

official word from the latest weekly update is not to make a big deal about it, apparently it's fairly routine stuff but he didn't say what it was (maybe WoT season 3 consulting?)

apparently the previous mistborn movie got as far as putting people in mistcloaks and casting a lord ruler before it fell through

" it really is no biggie. He’s meeting people and doing things, but it’s not anything exciting enough to announce or even tease."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Part of me hopes that Brandon's popularity would grow even a little bit bigger before any adaptation is done. That way he can leverage an even higher budget.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Part of me hopes that Brandon's popularity would grow even a little bit bigger before any adaptation is done. That way he can leverage an even higher budget.

Time for him to finish ASOIAF /s

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Scadrial and especially Roshar would be great for a video game. Ten orders = ten classes, you surely can make a great RPG set on Roshar.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Torrannor posted:

Scadrial and especially Roshar would be great for a video game. Ten orders = ten classes, you surely can make a great RPG set on Roshar.

Brandon was contemplating giving the rights of Mistborn to CD Projekt Red. I wonder if he would do that for Stormlight Archive.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'd be perfectly fine without a CCU; it's special having read the whole cosmere and getting others to do the same. I'm tired of tv/movie adaptations and I'm tired of tv and movies in general. Books are life.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
We already have a CCU, the Graphic Audios are a movie in your mind!

Also Brandon would probably get burnt out desperately trying to prevent Hollywood from whitening the Stormlight cast.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ojjeorago posted:

We already have a CCU, the Graphic Audios are a movie in your mind!

Also Brandon would probably get burnt out desperately trying to prevent Hollywood from whitening the Stormlight cast.

Just make it in bollywood

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

There are stories (I probably read them here, maybe he talked about it on his Youtube or a podcast?) where he was in the negotiations with some studio folks and was like:

Brandon: "I need complete creative control and a huge VFX budget"
Execs: "but what if we just paid you more"
Brandon: *gestures at kickstarter numbers and Utah compound* "nah, I'm all good for money."

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Please, just animate it. Metalborn powers aren't going to translate well to live action without hilariously large budgets, and Stormlight's even worse.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pointlessone posted:

Please, just animate it. Metalborn powers aren't going to translate well to live action without hilariously large budgets, and Stormlight's even worse.

While I don't disagree - animation is immediately going to limit your audience dramatically. It doesn't matter how good the animation is, your audience is going to be 1/3 what it could be. There is a wide swath of people that will not watch any animated feature/show, no matter how good it is.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

While I don't disagree - animation is immediately going to limit your audience dramatically. It doesn't matter how good the animation is, your audience is going to be 1/3 what it could be. There is a wide swath of people that will not watch any animated feature/show, no matter how good it is.
But this is already, as the colloquialists say, genre as gently caress. The target audience will watch a Netflix anime.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Just get Fortiche Productions, the studio that animates Arcane, to make it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

But this is already, as the colloquialists say, genre as gently caress. The target audience will watch a Netflix anime.

I mean, I don't know that it will make much difference. You could say that Spider-man is genre as gently caress as well. Yet the Spider-verse films make about a third of what the live action films make.

Into the Spiderverse (2018) was 380mil.
Across the Spiderverse (2023) was 690mil.

In comparison:

Spiderman Far From Home (2019) made 1.13b
Spiderman No Way Home (2021) made 1.92b

Whether we like it or not (I don't like this, it sucks!) a very very large percentage of people will never see animation as anything more than "for kids" and will immediately write it off, no matter how much they would possibly enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I am bordering on 50% done with HoA. What else do I need to read before Rhythm of War? Warbreaker, Dawnshard. Anything else?