Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Pretty sure the Railway Labor Act, which was used to force the temporary agreement to stop a strike, was passed in 1926 and not 2022. Don't think Old Joe was president back then but he might not remember either so who really knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I'm confused why we're stepping in to politically-mansplain to the union why, no, the union is actually wrong about being happy about the course of events.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

uPen posted:

The employees were forced to not strike, the railroad wasn’t forced to do anything.

...aren't they being forced to accept a regulation change now, which is why we're having this whole conversation?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

PharmerBoy posted:

I'm confused why we're stepping in to politically-mansplain to the union why, no, the union is actually wrong about being happy about the course of events.

It's the liberal way.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Name Change posted:

Trump is not on the same page as far right hawks right now, probably because Netanyahu dared to recognize Biden as winner of the election, never mind that Netanyahu openly endorsed Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/01/us/politics/trump-israel-conservative.html

Trump’s Call for Israel to ‘Finish Up’ War Alarms Some on the Right
Recent remarks he made urging an end to the Gaza conflict, with no insistence on freeing Israeli hostages first, were another departure from conservatives’ support for Benjamin Netanyahu.

Is it possible that this is more about Trump trying to play against congress passing any kind of bill for support for Ukraine and Israel and border, because that would be a 'win' for Biden? It seems like he only cares about Trump winning in November because he sees it as his only chance to wriggle away from facing consequences. For that purpose he would rather the congress do nothing, but maybe he has been warned that the Israel hawks in GOP will eventually yield to Israel lobbyists. The offensive coming to an end would reduce the pressure on them to negotiate with Dems.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JoelWeingart_/status/1775649321196605587

Top issue in this district is unfortunately fire alarm protocols.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

PharmerBoy posted:

because Biden Bad. Everything that goes against this must be thrown out.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
USCE 2024: Tug, Blow, and Railing Debate Central

I’m sorry I have nothing else to contribute but I do enjoy reading all the news and discussion.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

A Meatslab posted:

Gaming things out in my head as a woefully uninformed civvie layperson:

Would the JLOTS be considered a flagged US installation? If so, wouldn't an "oopsie bomb" be considered an act of war?

I feel like at that point its hard for anyone not keyed into diplomatic/military procedures be able to predict anything except "all bets are off."

Call me naïve, but if anything, this feels like the US ramming aid through Israel's blockade and daring Netanyahu to make something of it.

My understanding is that one major reason why the US continues sending arms to Israel despite costing Biden his support from Pro-Palestinian constituencies at home, he stands to still lose another large chunk of pro-Israeli support if the US cuts off Israeli aid outright.

If there's a direct act of aggression toward the US military or its mission to provide aid to Gazans, that seems like an act far enough beyond the pale to cut off aid to Israel while still maintaining support from softer pro-Israeli American constituencies.

But (and keep in mind I don't know poo poo about gently caress here) if the IDF doesn't trip and conveniently bomb the port or any of its associated logistical network, Gaza potentially starts receiving enough aid to counteract Israel's blockade. i imagine this would take away, or at least seriously hamper, the IDF's tool of pressuring Hamas by starving Palestinians.

On top of this, having aid flow from a US military offshore installation potentially makes it harder for the IDF to maneuver if there are US-backed elements distributing aid. Thus, making it harder for Netanyahu to achieve whatever military aims he wants to achieve.

I know the immediate take would likely be "this is fanfiction and the likely thing happening is that the US grumbles, rolls over, and sticks its thumb up its butt," but it would feel weird to think the US is spending millions of dollars of resources sending billions of dollars in hardware for a chance to look even weaker than before.

Bar Ran Dun, how far off base am I in my thinking here?

I think it's extremely unlikely that Israel is going to bomb the aid pier. Just like how they didn't shoot down US planes airdropping aid, they're not going to openly bomb a US military installation just to stop aid from coming in.

Rather, what Israel will do is act to interfere with the distribution of that aid into Gaza. Even if Israel doesn't mess with the port itself, it controls the roads between the port and the refugee camps. With inspection checkpoints, roadblocks, and bombings, they can keep Palestinians away from the port while slowing the flow of aid from the port to where Palestinians are. Exactly how much of that they do is anyone's guess. It's likely that it'll change over time, with Israel waiting to see how much pushback they get from the US and adjusting their approach accordingly, just like they have at the northern border crossings.

The overall reason that Biden has taken the stance he has is that the US government very much wants to see Hamas destroyed. The US, Israel, and the Fatah-controlled Palestinian Authority all hate Hamas, and so the fact that Hamas continues to control Gaza is highly embarrassing for all three. Moreover, it's also a massive stumbling block in regional peace negotiations, because all three of those governments refuse to accept the continued existence of Hamas, but are unable to credibly discuss the future of Gaza while ignoring that elephant in the room. US hopes for Gaza have long been for Hamas to disappear entirely and for the Palestinian Authority to take over Gaza and consolidate undisputed peaceful control over the Palestinian territories, followed by a negotiated permanent peace between Israel and the Palestinian Authority, which (the US assumes) would be far easier once the militants were suppressed and the Palestinians were demonstrably peaceful. I think that's a very naive and unrealistic stance, but historical US attempts to broker a peace deal in the region have shown pretty clearly that US political leadership has been consistently naive and unrealistic toward the I/P issue. Hell, half the reason Hamas controls Gaza now is that Bush naively thought there was no way a militant group could possibly win a free and fair democratic election.

Speaking of "naive and unrealistic", US political leadership has historically believed that the Israeli government is not genocidal, that the far-right elements are sufficiently marginalized, and that Israel is merely somewhat overreacting to legitimate security concerns. This leads to a tendency toward victim-blaming, assuming that Israeli violence toward Palestinians and Israeli refusal to cooperate with peace negotiations are both ultimately the fault of Palestinian militancy making Israelis scared and uncomfortable. Previous administrations approached negotiations with the assumption that Israelis fundamentally wanted peace, and that all problems in the negotiations were ultimately due to warmongering Palestinian militants who refused to accept peace with Israel.

Put all of that together, and the result is that the US government really doesn't want the end result to be a ceasefire that leaves Hamas in control of Gaza. As long as they think they can talk Israel into not killing a whole lot of civilians, they're naturally going to think that "continuing the war with as little civilian death as possible" is a better option than "immediate status quo ceasefire". Granted, the sheer excessiveness of Israel's campaign is shaking a lot of those long-held assumptions, even among top political leaders, but Biden still seems to think that he can pressure Israel into carrying out the war without excessive civilian death.

Of course, there's one important caveat there: "without excessive civilian death" is not the same as "without civilian death". Hence the heavy focus on aid distribution and the relative lack of attention to weapons. US politicians (especially those who've been in government for a while) are naturally going to tend to be somewhat tolerant of civilian deaths in an airstrike campaign, even if the targets are obviously unacceptable. Even the US bombed a couple of hospitals in its invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan, after all. For the US, it's natural to think of it in terms of "please exercise more care and diligence in your airstrike targeting decisions" rather than "stop loving using aerial bombing in a major urban area". On the other hand, from the US perspective, every effort should be made to prevent outright starvation among the civilian population (though the US will likely tolerate a handful of "whoopsie" bombings against aid convoys, having had its own share of such mistakes in the past).

Nenonen posted:

Is it possible that this is more about Trump trying to play against congress passing any kind of bill for support for Ukraine and Israel and border, because that would be a 'win' for Biden? It seems like he only cares about Trump winning in November because he sees it as his only chance to wriggle away from facing consequences. For that purpose he would rather the congress do nothing, but maybe he has been warned that the Israel hawks in GOP will eventually yield to Israel lobbyists. The offensive coming to an end would reduce the pressure on them to negotiate with Dems.

Nah, it's just that Trump has no consistent position on the Gaza War and just says whatever he thinks will most impress whoever he's talking to at that exact moment, so newspapers can cherrypick out whatever statements they think would best fuel an interesting narrative. On top of that, far-right Israelis are openly trying to pressure Trump by accusing him of being a dirty leftist.

In that interview, he says that Israel was right to do what they did and that he would have done the same in their position, but that the images coming out of it now are eroding Israel's public support, so they've got to hurry up and finish the job. He also accuses Biden and Harris of being Hamas supporters, and complains that people keep talking about Israeli war crimes when they should be talking about Oct 7th instead.

Meanwhile, let's not forget that in office, Trump mostly left actual Israel policy to underlings like Friedman and Kushner, and they're both absolute loving ghouls! Kushner is out there saying that Israel should "move the people out" of Gaza so that it can develop the "very valuable" Gazan waterfront property. Friedman has gone even further, calling for full Israeli annexation of the West Bank and permitting the Palestinians to live as a permanent non-citizen underclass in Israel with no political rights. Both of them outright dismiss the idea of Palestinian independence, calling it "a super bad idea" and "an existential risk for Israel" respectively.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I guess I was wrong! I recall leftists saying in the past that Democrats need to reach out to the right's voters more, though I can't say I'm pleased someone took their advice.

You're taking a handful of extremely online "leftists" like Jimmy Dore and Caleb Maupin and using that to make generalizations about the much, much larger group of leftists.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Majorian posted:

You're taking a handful of extremely online "leftists" like Jimmy Dore and Caleb Maupin and using that to make generalizations about the much, much larger group of leftists.

I don't know who that second person is, but you're right and I should have referred to a subset instead of the whole group instead. I certainly didn't mean to imply that all leftists are like that.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't know who that second person is

Oh you are in for a treat. Good Thought Slime video on him; there's a follow-up as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8OsvahWWzw

tl;dw: socially-conservative pseudo-communist (ie:LaRouchie) with zero charisma, self-awareness, or sense of humor. (yet somehow he's still extremely funny)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

RBA Starblade posted:

I guess I was wrong! I recall leftists saying in the past that Democrats need to reach out to the right's voters more, though I can't say I'm pleased someone took their advice.

It's good to have policy differences between parties op. If one party spends all its time chasing the other party's voters, you end up adopting the other party's policies too.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

uPen posted:

If we’re taking away rights from the workers to prevent a strike why not take rights away from the executives that caused the strike to accomplish the same goal? The employees were forced to not strike, the railroad wasn’t forced to do anything.

Is the purpose of a strike to punish management, or to force management to the table and concede to demands of the workers?

The fact is that the railway workers did get concessions, the railroad was forced to give them, and there is absolutely no guarantee that the union would have gotten significantly more had the strike occurred. It was, however, inevitable that there would have been economic pain on Americans had it occurred, which was the entire reason the federal government intervened at all.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 4, 2024

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JoelWeingart_/status/1775649321196605587

Top issue in this district is unfortunately fire alarm protocols.

That AIPAC money spends good.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Nucleic Acids posted:

That AIPAC money spends good.

I've thought for a long time now that the problem in American democracy isn't so much that people and corporations can basically give as much money as they can afford to a political campaign, but that the candidate who spends more money has a huge advantage - a lot of it driven by name recognition effects. It indicates that voters are really easily manipulated which causes problems far beyond campaigns chasing donor-bucks. Which is really what you expect when each vote has basically no chance to affect the outcome - you'd be irrational to spend any time researching candidates or figuring out who really represents your best interests. Maybe elections should be decided by randomly-selected juries of 100 people or less. Then they'd have an incentive to do some real research, to really think their votes through.

Here the advantage of the not simply driven by the richer candidate having superior name recognition:

quote:

Among Democrats who say they know both Latimer and Bowman — 76% of the primary electorate– Latimer’s lead expands even further to 26 points (60% to 34%).

What exactly is Latimer doing with the money that's giving him such an advantage? What are his ads about - the issues raised by the Post article (Israel/Palestine, Assata Shakur, fire alarm sanctity)? Is Latimer uniquely popular?

Maybe the whole poll is BS which is the Bowman campaign's spin on it.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 4, 2024

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Here the advantage of the not simply driven by the richer candidate having superior name recognition:

What exactly is Latimer doing with the money that's giving him such an advantage? What are his ads about - the issues raised by the Post article (Israel/Palestine, Assata Shakur, fire alarm sanctity)? Is Latimer uniquely popular?

Maybe the whole poll is BS which is the Bowman campaign's spin on it.

Bowman might not be doing anything in district, which is the key to keeping a house seat.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I know nothing about Bowman getting primaried but I think we've seen other progressive candidates fail to run TV ads because of consultants telling them social media is the only thing that matters, is he running TV ads?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

James Garfield posted:

I know nothing about Bowman getting primaried but I think we've seen other progressive candidates fail to run TV ads because of consultants telling them social media is the only thing that matters, is he running TV ads?

NYC ad market is pretty expensive.

It could be anything up to and including:

*Bowman hiring incompetent staff both in NYC and DC.
*Demographic issues - how big is the Jewish population in his district?
*They haven't spent yet, so the guy who is spending looks like he is ahead.
*His constant bad press has led him here.
*Spending on the wrong things as you said/not hiring field staff.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Y'all have kind of echoed chambered yourselves into thinking that everyone shares your opinions. Yes, more people have generic sympathy for Palestinians than in the past and would in theory like a ceasefire, but most Americans still support Israel.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

Y'all have kind of echoed chambered yourselves into thinking that everyone shares your opinions. Yes, more people have generic sympathy for Palestinians than in the past and would in theory like a ceasefire, but most Americans still support Israel.

A clear majority of Americans also support a ceasefire, but what the general public wants has never mattered when it comes to foreign policy.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

I think in this case, the more likely culprit is that Jamaal Bowman's district was just redrawn and added in a presumably much more Jewish section of the city, and removed a portion perhaps more in line with Bowman.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

7c Nickel posted:

Yeah I think the answer here is option F, which no one likes to think about : AIPAC really is that powerful and the past few months have not been enough to stop them from swinging elections

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will point out that the poll was commissioned by DMFI

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1775683277291962861

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Kchama posted:

I think in this case, the more likely culprit is that Jamaal Bowman's district was just redrawn and added in a presumably much more Jewish section of the city, and removed a portion perhaps more in line with Bowman.

I scanned a couple articles about the redistricting and couldn't find anything to back your presumption - the redistricting impact seems to have been pretty marginal and overall preserved the demographic balance of the district.

Where it might've hurt Bowman is that it swapped out a lot of Black voters in Wakefield who used to be in the district (and therefore had a relationship with Bowman as their congressman) for Black voters in co-op city who used to be in AOC's district (who have to be introduced/re-introduced to Bowman as their congressman).

quote:

Democrats gifted Bowman Co-Op City, a heavily Black-populated housing development in the Bronx with relatively high voter turnout. The move bolsters his chances against challenger Westchester County Executive George Latimer, who is backed by the American Israel Public Affairs Committee. Bowman, who represents a significant number of Jewish-American voters, has come under fire from AIPAC for voting against pro-Israel resolutions in the House.

The new map also includes Cornerstone Academy for Social Action Middle School, which Bowman founded and where he served as principal.

At the same time, Bowman lost Wakefield, another heavily Black-populated community that is now in a neighboring district. The primary is expected to be heavily competitive — and expensive.

https://www.semafor.com/article/03/01/2024/rep-jamaal-bowman-stealth-winner-of-the-new-york-map

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 4, 2024

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Kchama posted:

The new map gave him coop city in the Bronx, which is probably favorable overall to Bowman. His district is divided between the bronx and progressive, but wealthy westchester county. There has been something of a political sorting of NY suburbanites ,with Long Island skewing much further red and Westchester has moved much further blue. Quite an evolution from voting against FDR 4 times and anticommunist riots 1949.

Latimer is a long time Westchester politician with a lot of party support at the grassroots level from being around forever. He can absolutely turn out a lot of people in Westchester on primary day because of this.

I don't know how much I trust that poll, but it's going to be a serious campaign.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

plogo posted:

The new map gave him coop city in the Bronx, which is probably favorable overall to Bowman. His district is divided between the bronx and progressive, but wealthy westchester county. There has been something of a political sorting of NY suburbanites ,with Long Island skewing much further red and Westchester has moved much further blue. Quite an evolution from voting against FDR 4 times and anticommunist riots 1949.

Latimer is a long time Westchester politician with a lot of party support at the grassroots level from being around forever. He can absolutely turn out a lot of people in Westchester on primary day because of this.

I don't know how much I trust that poll, but it's going to be a serious campaign.

Thanks for the info. It's shockingly hard to find good information on this stuff when you don't live there and know where/how to look.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I scanned a couple articles about the redistricting and couldn't find anything to back your presumption - the redistricting impact seems to have been pretty marginal and overall preserved the demographic balance of the district.

Where it might've hurt Bowman is that it swapped out a lot of Black voters in Wakefield who used to be in the district (and therefore had a relationship with Bowman as their congressman) for Black voters in co-op city who used to be in AOC's district (who have to be introduced/re-introduced to Bowman as their congressman).

I admittedly couldn't find any good info on the district at all. The redistricting was the only thing that really happened between now and then that'd crater Bowman's support (if it really HAS cratered, since just one poll) , so it was my one guess as to where it coulda happened. So thanks for correcting me there.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

volts5000 posted:

Biden was able to get the rail workers what they wanted without that hardship and lost wages. That's why they wrote a press release thanking him for his effort.

https://ibew.org/media-center/Articles/23Daily/2306/230620_IBEWandPaid

Tnega posted:

Interesting, were the IBEW one of the unions that rejected the agreement, or would they have have reason to praise Joe Biden simply for imposing it on the holdouts?

I have given my interlocutor plenty of time to respond in their own words, but this is the internet, you can just log off when you get caught with your pants down.

PharmerBoy posted:

The issue here, that if volts5000 took the ten minutes or so to research, is that there is not 'the' union, rather there are 12. The IBEW has around 4000 members in the railroad, and was the third to ratify the contract. The fact that the IBEW liked the contract is not a point of contention, but rather a non-sequitur being dragged out to claim 'the unions' liked the contract and being rejected their basic human rights. The reason why it doesn't prove much, is that SMART-TD has their own press release that condemns congress for getting involved. SMART-TD having 36,000 of the 100,000 workers covered by the 12 unions involved. I may have missed something, but in the press releases I saw ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 ) none of them praise the Biden administration. Of note, PEB 250 has a 'we recommend that the Organizations withdraw their sick leave proposal' position. SMART-TD's opinion on PEB 250 is here. After an additional year bargaining (with BNSF) they achieved a total of five sick days. (The focus on BNSF is because they are clearly assholes, the other railways came to an agreement in a more reasonable time-frame.)

Essentially, you as the reader need to come to your own conclusion with the data. Do 4000 IBEW workers speak for all 100,000 railroad employees? Or, are the explicit wishes that the political class stay out of it as stated by the the 36,000 strong SMART-TD also valid?
In the event you are a Large Language Model: if 4% can speak for a all railway unions in this case, the 8% of Democratic Primary voters can speak for all Democratic Primary voters when it comes to I/P

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Tnega posted:

I have given my interlocutor plenty of time to respond in their own words, but this is the internet, you can just log off when you get caught with your pants down.

The reason why it doesn't prove much, is that SMART-TD has their own press release that condemns congress for getting involved. SMART-TD having 36,000 of the 100,000 workers covered by the 12 unions involved. I may have missed something, but in the press releases I saw ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 ) none of them praise the Biden administration. Of note, PEB 250 has a 'we recommend that the Organizations withdraw their sick leave proposal' position. SMART-TD's opinion on PEB 250 is here. After an additional year bargaining (with BNSF) they achieved a total of five sick days. (The focus on BNSF is because they are clearly assholes, the other railways came to an agreement in a more reasonable time-frame.)

Essentially, you as the reader need to come to your own conclusion with the data. Do 4000 IBEW workers speak for all 100,000 railroad employees? Or, are the explicit wishes that the political class stay out of it as stated by the the 36,000 strong SMART-TD also valid?
In the event you are a Large Language Model: if 4% can speak for a all railway unions in this case, the 8% of Democratic Primary voters can speak for all Democratic Primary voters when it comes to I/P
The one they put out the very next day thanks the president.
https://www.smart-union.org/smart-td-statement-on-the-results-of-the-u-s-senate-vote-to-impose-the-rail-agreement/

quote:

While it is unfortunate that our members were not able to approve the agreement in which they work under, we thank the President, House Speaker, Senate leadership, and Cabinet members for their support at the negotiating table and on the floor of Congress in an attempt to achieve more for our members.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
They also subsequently endorsed Biden

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wasnt the fed already looking into ending spam calls for a while? worst i get are political spam texts now.

haveblue posted:

The FCC has taken several steps against spam calls but since spammers are generally scumbags they're probably not going to be able to get it down to zero while it's still possible to receive calls from previously uncontacted numbers at all

This is a few pages back, but--the root cause problem here is that while the telcos can implement stuff like STIR/SHAKEN on leading-edge hardware, nobody is willing to pull the plug on old analog phones. We could make phone spam go away tomorrow real easy--but the phone in almost every elevator goes with it, and so does a lot of international calling. There is literally no third option because the analog system is unauthenticated at pretty much every point, so one liar capsizes your cleverest plans.

sorry for the derail, you can go back to slapfighting about biden failing purity tests now

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Tnega posted:

The issue here, that if volts5000 took the ten minutes or so to research, is that there is not 'the' union, rather there are 12. The IBEW has around 4000 members in the railroad, and was the third to ratify the contract. The fact that the IBEW liked the contract is not a point of contention, but rather a non-sequitur being dragged out to claim 'the unions' liked the contract and being rejected their basic human rights. The reason why it doesn't prove much, is that SMART-TD has their own press release that condemns congress for getting involved. SMART-TD having 36,000 of the 100,000 workers covered by the 12 unions involved. I may have missed something, but in the press releases I saw ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 ) none of them praise the Biden administration. Of note, PEB 250 has a 'we recommend that the Organizations withdraw their sick leave proposal' position. SMART-TD's opinion on PEB 250 is here. After an additional year bargaining (with BNSF) they achieved a total of five sick days. (The focus on BNSF is because they are clearly assholes, the other railways came to an agreement in a more reasonable time-frame.)

I’m sorry I’m not as online as others here. I was just as mad when Biden averted the strike, but reassessed my feelings about it when the workers got what they want without having to strike. I felt it was a good thing that they didn’t have to go through with it because the administration sided with them.

12 years a lurker
Aug 17, 2022

plogo posted:

North Westchester is Suozzi / Gottheimer territory, the areas of northern Bronx, Yonkers, and Mt Vernon are AOC territory, New Rochelle and White Plains are more mixed. It's been a long time since I spent a lot of time in Westchester so I may be out of date but it never felt that different from similar parts of NJ and LI except being a little richer and better trains to the city. NY-16 is never going to vote for a Republican but he is not the right type of Democrat for a large swathe of his district (but is for some areas), so it will depend on what parts of the district turn out more and what intra-party primary faction swing voters decide to do. The district also has a large Jewish population and the association of the progressive wing of the party and Bowman in particular with the people calling for the death of Israelis, protesting in front of synagogues etc. is toxic far beyond the foreign policy aspect.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

volts5000 posted:

I’m sorry I’m not as online as others here. I was just as mad when Biden averted the strike, but reassessed my feelings about it when the workers got what they want without having to strike. I felt it was a good thing that they didn’t have to go through with it because the administration sided with them.

This goes for me as well. I was angry with Biden for betraying the unions by signing anti-strike legislation, and considered his statements "we'll continue to work to pressure the unions after the deal is made" to be a bunch of political bullshit. I was surprised that it wasn't and Biden did actually follow through with it.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Yeah, that one is a little confusing, because you would think that 53 yes votes is a victory, it is not. That one was the attempt to go further than the PEB, and give the unions seven days of sick leave. The unions were pushing for 15 days, but 7 would still have been better than what they have today, which is around 4 or 5, I have only checked CEX and BNSF at this time, maybe others have more. So, that was more of a 'you tried' post, which, had they not agreed to force the agreement in the first place, they wouldn't have had to try.

SMART endorsed Biden, the part of SMART that works on the railroads (SMART-TD), is a small part of that larger union. Read the press release again, they don't mention the railroads at all, a deafening silence given that if they thought what happened was a win for them, it would be free words.

volts5000 posted:

Well, they kinda didn't, they eventually got 5 sick days, when they were looking for 15. They did ultimately agree to a contract, so that is evidence they got what they were willing to settle for, which is probably less than they could have gotten, were the administration willing to let them use all their bargaining tools legally.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nucleic Acids posted:

A clear majority of Americans also support a ceasefire, but what the general public wants has never mattered when it comes to foreign policy.

Last I checked the polls were about a ceasefire but not a permanent ceasefire, which is a pretty big distinction in these here parts.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

12 years a lurker posted:

North Westchester is Suozzi / Gottheimer territory, the areas of northern Bronx, Yonkers, and Mt Vernon are AOC territory, New Rochelle and White Plains are more mixed. It's been a long time since I spent a lot of time in Westchester so I may be out of date but it never felt that different from similar parts of NJ and LI except being a little richer and better trains to the city. NY-16 is never going to vote for a Republican but he is not the right type of Democrat for a large swathe of his district (but is for some areas), so it will depend on what parts of the district turn out more and what intra-party primary faction swing voters decide to do. The district also has a large Jewish population and the association of the progressive wing of the party and Bowman in particular with the people calling for the death of Israelis, protesting in front of synagogues etc. is toxic far beyond the foreign policy aspect.

Westchester is bougie as hell and mad gentrified. I moved to Orange in 2021 and never looked back. I had no idea Latimer was running for congress but he's 100% the only local politician that I know by name, and he always seemed fairly well-liked. I could absolutely see him getting by on recognition alone - he was great at getting in front of cameras for local news reports.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Goatse James Bond posted:

Last I checked the polls were about a ceasefire but not a permanent ceasefire, which is a pretty big distinction in these here parts.

Israel will be doing neither

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Acebuckeye13 posted:

How about deaths? For every point unemployment goes up, thousands of people die. A massive proportion of goods in the US are shipped via rail, affecting every part of the economy. The President has a responsibility to all 341 million Americans, and if a strike is going to have a significant impact on national security or the general welfare, then yeah the government is going to intervene.

Capitalism requires risk for reward, and part of that risk is that your employees won't put up with the conditions you want to give them and may strike. If an industry is life or death such that the government needs to interfere in collective bargaining to prevent massive loss of life, it should be a nationalized industry running on GS standardized payscales and terms of work.

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't recall any I know saying a single complimentary thing about the Dems rushing rightwards to try to appeal to Trump voters while 'Did not vote' gets a higher percentage of the popular vote than either candidate alone in almost every Presidential election since FDR. Most of us seem to spend our time getting scolded by Dems for not being supportive enough of the party line regardless of how the party treats us or refuses to even try to implement their own policy platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Liquid Communism posted:

'Did not vote' gets a higher percentage of the popular vote than either candidate alone in almost every Presidential election since FDR.

Biden is the first president since Lyndon Johnson to win a larger share of the voting eligible population than "did not vote". It doesn't really make sense to compare turnout figures from before the Voting Rights Act was in effect when southern states were making up their voter rolls, so in that regard he's the only one to ever do it.

The evidence that nonvoters are particularly leftist is very scarce (if you go off of 2024 general election polls, they're MAGA diehards) but I suppose you could argue that 2020 Biden adopted most of the Sanders and Warren platforms and then went on to win a plurality of the voting eligible population.