Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah. The order of events is different and I think they cut out a couple battle of the week villain fights but otherwise it’s been pretty spot on

The only major change from the comics this season was that Debbie was the one with Mark when Anissa shows up in the comics and the show did it better

I feel like I remember hearing that one of the early villains of Invincible was some guy who turned school kids into bombs or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

It's pretty crazy Dupli-Kate didn't like hold back her "prime" self in, like, a different ZIP code from their mission or something.

Bookmarking dis post

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I feel like I remember hearing that one of the early villains of Invincible was some guy who turned school kids into bombs or something.

Mark's first real test as a supe was finding out why bullies and other, hmm, toxic(?) students at his high school were being turned into suicide bombers. The conclusion was very :smith: and definitely had "of its time" vibes. They adapted that arc in the Eve game

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Thats correct. One issue and then basically never mentioned again, and DA Sinclair did practically the same bit but better.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

Bookmarking dis post

i would have been disappointed if she hadn't.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The big difference was that Kate appeared to be dead a bit longer her evil brother Multi-Paul tries to kill Rex out of misplaced revenge and she comes back to stop him.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

forgot that this was it for this season of episodes.
it definitely would have been a ride considering the whole 8 episodes as a package. Don't have a problem with the split and wait like some people seem to do.

I guess Cecil was right in giving Mark's family some privacy since Angstrom managed to do what he wanted and they didn't show up well after it was over. Guess that backfired.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Aces High posted:

Anyway, episode was good Speaking of taking more lines directly from the comics, I appreciate that they toned down Future Eve's declaration. In the comics, the way she was drawn it seemed like she was having a full on breakdown, which worked for how she tended to be written through the run, so I'm glad that this version was a little more controlled. You can tell how long she's been holding on to this, but 20 years is a long time and she's getting catharsis more than anything.

Was she as much of a Captain Marvel cosplay in that scene in the comics?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Aangstrom payoff was pretty weak. I feel like he had a lot of potential as a major antagonist (intelligent, has a highly flexible power, has an arguably pretty understandable motivation in terms of wanting to stop Mark before his statistically likely fascist heel turn) but after the accident he ended up being one of the most irrationally evil and one-note villains in the show. I'm fine with him being dispatched easily but his motivation for going after the one good Mark Grayson and brutalising his family (when he seemed to previously be a decent person) was poor.

Kate surviving does make sense but it feels pretty bad to have a triple death fakeout like that, really cheapens that previous story retroactively. It could undermine the impact of future deaths if you aren't sure if it's just another fakeout in the moment.

With that said I do think all the stuff around the Viltrum plot is interesting and I'm looking forward to more. There is a narrative about Earth falling behind on fighting its regular threats and I assume at some point Mark will face a dilemma on how Earth can continue defending itself without the help of the Viltrumites

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I'm in kind of a weird position with this episode, in that I thought it was genuinely great as an episode of television but complete rear end as a season finale

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Sure am glad the Angstrom Levy stuff didn't take the whole episode, I was getting bored. Rest of it was pretty good, but uneventful as a season finale. Agree with others that I'm more interested in the Viltrum/Allen stuff than anything else. I guess if Season 3 drops this year that'd be cool?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Kate surviving does make sense but it feels pretty bad to have a triple death fakeout like that, really cheapens that previous story retroactively. It could undermine the impact of future deaths if you aren't sure if it's just another fakeout in the moment.

There's also Allen's fake out death.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Aangstrom payoff was pretty weak. I feel like he had a lot of potential as a major antagonist (intelligent, has a highly flexible power, has an arguably pretty understandable motivation in terms of wanting to stop Mark before his statistically likely fascist heel turn) but after the accident he ended up being one of the most irrationally evil and one-note villains in the show. I'm fine with him being dispatched easily but his motivation for going after the one good Mark Grayson and brutalising his family (when he seemed to previously be a decent person) was poor.

With that said I do think all the stuff around the Viltrum plot is interesting and I'm looking forward to more. There is a narrative about Earth falling behind on fighting its regular threats and I assume at some point Mark will face a dilemma on how Earth can continue defending itself without the help of the Viltrumites

**Not really sure what we are spoiler tagging anymore, I assume people here are up to date on the show and either haven't read the comic or pretend they haven't (except behind a spoiler tag)**

I agree with all of this. Angstrom could have pushed Mark's "how can I be a Really Good Guy as the son of a Really Bad Guy?" button so much more, which he did in the beginning a bit, but it ended up being so rushed into one episode that most of it didn't really stick. He could have taken him to one of the many dimensions where he and his dad have taken over Earth and let him ruminate in the part of his current dimension self that may have sympathies for that and the "good" a Viltrumite occupation does for mankind.

DoubleCakes posted:

That dino dimension was so sick. I cannot believe we didn't spend more time in the dino dimension. If you introduce a dino dimension to a story, everyone's going to be thinking of it. It's like that test at the beginning of Blade Rubber where instead of a question about petting turtles, it's "A media directs its story into a dino dimension; do you want the story to stay there?" If you answer no, then you are a bad robot.

:hmmyes:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

There's also Allen's fake out death.

They never pretended he was dead. Optimus turned off his life support without telling us why but there was never any indication Allen had died and the next time we see him he's SSJ3.

Did Mark spend this long moping around about smooshing Angstrom in the comics? I don't remember it that well, maybe hearing it spoke out loud makes it more tiresome. ProTip: If someone breaks in to your house, beats the poo poo out of your mom and tosses your toddler sibling around the living room all while trying to murder you, it's perfectly OK to kill them. It's a cheap and legal thrill. The cops can't touch you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Angstrom's problem was tunnel visioning on Mark and completely ignoring his father who was the superior warrior and what he should've been trying to build himself strong enough to surpass.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Takes No Damage posted:

ProTip: If someone breaks in to your house, beats the poo poo out of your mom and tosses your toddler sibling around the living room all while trying to murder you, it's perfectly OK to kill them. It's a cheap and legal thrill. The cops can't touch you.

ProTip: saying things like this makes you sound psychotic, you should at least pretend to understand that for a normal person even justified killing is an incredibly traumatic experience

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Angstrom Levy sure was a nothing villain.

Levy would have been far more interesting if they ramped up how he could no longer tell which universe was which and made him a tragic figure, trying to save the universe but no longer able to tell what's real any more.

They showed on brief scene where he 'sees' other Marks killing his loved ones across multiple timelines, but then he goes and tries to torture an infant.

Serotoning posted:

I agree with all of this. Angstrom could have pushed Mark's "how can I be a Really Good Guy as the son of a Really Bad Guy?" button so much more, which he did in the beginning a bit, but it ended up being so rushed into one episode that most of it didn't really stick. He could have taken him to one of the many dimensions where he and his dad have taken over Earth and let him ruminate in the part of his current dimension self that may have sympathies for that and the "good" a Viltrumite occupation does for mankind.

Angstrom doing "I'm sorry, I simply cannot take the chance you're different" would have been so much better than what we got and really driven home how hosed up Mark would have been after killing him.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 5, 2024

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

TIP posted:

ProTip: saying things like this makes you sound psychotic, you should at least pretend to understand that for a normal person even justified killing is an incredibly traumatic experience

Mark Grayson, well known Normal Person half alien who has bathed in the blood of thousands by this point. Though it doesn't help that they mashed so much into half of one episode, I think in the comics they spend a lot more time with Mark getting his rear end kicked through various random dimensions so it feels like he was away from home for much longer. This was so rushed his trauma doesn't feel 'earned', or something I dunno.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I do appreciate the irony of Angstrom's situation. He's an anti-Viltrum Empire rebel in every timeline, leading to him opposing Mark. Yet the one time Mark isn't on the side of Viltrum, he still winds up an antagonist of his anyway. It'd just be nice if he had a more compelling antagonism beyond "This thing I did to myself is your fault and now I'm going to kill you for it". There's a seed of an interesting idea there, at least, with Mark worrying about his worst tendencies and Angstrom aware of just how bad he can be, but I don't feel like that really came to the fore here.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They showed on brief scene where he 'sees' other Marks killing his loved ones across multiple timelines, but then he goes and tries to torture an infant.

"You're the villain here, not me. And to prove it, I'm going to murder this baby."

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Levy would have been far more interesting if they ramped up how he could no longer tell which universe was which and made him a tragic figure, trying to save the universe but no longer able to tell what's real any more.

This was the Mark that disfigured him. This was the Mark that destroyed his Utopia. This was the Mark that had to pay.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Having just watched the season, can anyone name a more useless group than the faceless soldiers who rush into a room after the fighting is over and everyone is a bloody meat pulp? especially when the villains have a notable weakness to being shot with lots of bullets.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Takes No Damage posted:

Mark Grayson, well known Normal Person half alien who has bathed in the blood of thousands by this point.

unless I missed something this is literally the first person he has killed

the only death attributed to him here is a magmanite:
https://listofdeaths.fandom.com/wiki/Invincible

if you are referring to stuff like his dad using his face to kill a subway car full of people, that's also traumatizing but different

and yeah, like, a large aspect of the show is that despite his immense power mark is still emotionally just a normal suburban teenager and he's spent many episodes refusing to kill even when pushed to his limits

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Having just watched the season, can anyone name a more useless group than the faceless soldiers who rush into a room after the fighting is over and everyone is a bloody meat pulp? especially when the villains have a notable weakness to being shot with lots of bullets.

Structurally it sort of helps reinforce the thematic elements of the story that super heroes are military by another name.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

"You're the villain here, not me. And to prove it, I'm going to murder this baby."

I was so sure Oliver was going to get his powers right as all hope seemed lost.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

They never pretended he was dead. Optimus turned off his life support

Ahuhhhh

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
If I had a dollar for every show where a Steven Yuen character shares a hospital bed with someone, I'd have two dollars, but it's weird that it happened twice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Funny enough that didn’t happen in the Rex fight aftermath in the comics. There another hero called Brit showed up instead (who has the power of invulnerability).

Apparently there might be some rights issues with Brit.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 5, 2024

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Did Mark spend this long moping around about smooshing Angstrom in the comics?

I've started rereading the comics, and:

It goes on and on and on and on. Though there are also lots of teenage rages against people too.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

what does spoiler free mean to you people

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rubellavator posted:

what does spoiler free mean to you people

No spoilers for upcoming stuff have been posted on this page from checking.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Do we know the character from the comics that hasn't shown up on the show won't show up on the show?

I feel, as a rule of thumb, it's best not to discuss spoilers at all, but if you have to mark them as specifically comic spoilers and use tags.

Plenty of people use tags just to discuss episodes that have already aired, which is both confusing -- given that people will use unmarked tags to discuss the books too -- and somewhat redundant.

Like I said, as a rule of thumb it's probably best not to discuss the books at all, since goons tend to get an inch and take a mile.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If there was a guy with invulnerability, why wasn't he the first guy they called?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If there was a guy with invulnerability, why wasn't he the first guy they called?

On another mission? The show seems to present the world like Cecil is the only person who gets teleporting technology.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Because Brit is only invulnerable. He's still stronger and faster than normal humans because he can push his muscles to the absolute limit without damaging them, but anyone with even a small amount of superhuman strength could easily restrain him and tie him to a chair.

I feel safe in saying this is not a spoiler because if we were going to see Brit in the show it would already have happened. Donald and Cecil debuted in his comic and Donald's arc this season was taken from that run, not Invincible itself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's a whole invinci-verse that Kirkman created, some of which only existed in the main book, but a bunch got their own books or limited series as Invincible became more and more popular. I don't expect that they're going to add in most of those characters, especially if they couldn't even use Science Dog.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

To be fair, in the case of the Lizard League, we see that they brought their own faceless soldiers who the GDA faceless soldiers were probably engaging with.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Disappointed to see Angstrom was as much of a nothing character and waste of time as in the comic. Was hoping that they'd do more with him this time.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Ironslave posted:

Disappointed to see Angstrom was as much of a nothing character and waste of time as in the comic. Was hoping that they'd do more with him this time.

As a non-comic reader, from what I've read here, they seem to be pretty faithful to the comic, for better or worse?

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Serotoning posted:

As a non-comic reader, from what I've read here, they seem to be pretty faithful to the comic, for better or worse?

The first season (and bits of the second) made some radical departures that made me think they might try to improve in the places the comic lacked or stumbled. That season 2 was more faithful makes me feel some dread at how future seasons will turn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Serotoning posted:

Most of the major changes are character related, plotwise I'm actually surprised how faithful it is to the book.

Ironslave posted:

Have you not read very much of the comic?