Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The celibate Jedi stuff never feels like it's even brought up at all until AOTC, is it?

Granted, there's no need to bring it up in TPM unless you wanted to have Qui-Gon and Shmi introduce it with some talk about her having concerns about Anakin leaving under Qui-Gon's care. Some back and forth of "I'll protect him like my own child", "Do you have children?", "No, the order forbids us from having families, but..."-type of thing.

At the very least, you could have used Shmi and Qui-gon to very early on in the prequels try to emphasize that the Jedi are focused on training children, not raising them or being parental figures to them, and to Shmi there is a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

JediTalentAgent posted:

The celibate Jedi stuff never feels like it's even brought up at all until AOTC, is it?

Granted, there's no need to bring it up in TPM unless you wanted to have Qui-Gon and Shmi introduce it with some talk about her having concerns about Anakin leaving under Qui-Gon's care.

"You're not gonna gently caress him are you?"
"No I'm part of a religious order with a vow of celibacy"
"Leave my kid alone"

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

they aren't just against romantic love. they tried to reject lil darth because he loved his mommy too much. the only true way to be a jedi was to cast aside all emotion and sit in a chair, flatly saying "faster, louder, more intense"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
LOL 4 ever @ han still smuggling crap for chump change until the day he died, @ leia rebelling until she keeled over from old age, @ luke failing to even live in society w/ other ppl, & most of all a special lol @ darth vader failing to kill the emperor

JJ should courier a pack of lipton to Lucas, because these movies were a billion dollar teabagging

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
can jedis and the sith jerk themselves off with the force? can they force choke themselves for a little autoerotic asphyxiation action?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The prequels would make total sense if we were just shown the Osmosis Jones adventures of the midi-chlorians.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
question for the rlm thread, if i generally hate chris nolans movies but have an interest in the subject matter should i watch oppenheiemer or continue skipping it, honestly i just cant give a hoot about new moopies bc they all seem to be a bit poo poo so instead i just watch old moopies instead

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Non Compos Mentis posted:

can jedis and the sith jerk themselves off with the force? can they force choke themselves for a little autoerotic asphyxiation action?

I'm pretty sure Jerec jerks himself off with the Force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0atqC60b5s

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

dreezy posted:

question for the rlm thread, if i generally hate chris nolans movies but have an interest in the subject matter should i watch oppenheiemer or continue skipping it, honestly i just cant give a hoot about new moopies bc they all seem to be a bit poo poo so instead i just watch old moopies instead

I thought it was the best movie of last year. That said, just…watch it. If it you’re 30 minutes in and it doesn’t do it for you, turn it off.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

dreezy posted:

I'd say watch it. It's definitely a Nolan movie, but it's got less annoying Nolan-isms than most of his more recent output. (But yeah, if you aren't feeling it by minute 30, no need to continue.)

counterfeitsaint posted:

There's no sound is space is the dumbest thing to point out during a movie. Have you noticed there's no camera in space either? Yet somehow we can see external shots of the space ships. Very unrealistic. And don't even get me started on the complete lack of an orchestral score playing at all times! And the time skips! This movie takes place over the course of a week yet is barely even three hours long, what kind of idiot makes a blunder like that?

One day you're going to learn the difference between diegetic and non-diegetic, and that little peanut you call a brain will blow up like a popcorn kernel.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I remember arguing this in CD and getting called a racist.

I don't recall exactly how we got there but I'm still mad about it obviously.

go ahead then bitch. call mace windu the n word

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

neimoidian

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Molothecat posted:

neimoidian

:mods:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mike and Rich should watch Stargate SG-1

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I got news for you, the species in Star Wars don't have penis and vaginas, prove me wrong.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

dreezy posted:

Skip it, it's really corny and has even more bad nolan writing than all his other films combined. Biopics are universally terrible anyway. Everything in the congressional investigation plotline is eye rolling and embarrassing.
Boys should do a review of not another teen movie, it's the most coherent of those not another films.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I like the part where oppenheimer says "WILL ANYONE EVER KNOW THE TRUTH OF WHAT HAPPENED HERE!? IF ANYONE EVER TOLD THIS STORY THEY'D SURE BE A HERO!"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

DebonaireD posted:

Skip it, it's really corny and has even more bad nolan writing than all his other films combined. Biopics are universally terrible anyway. Everything in the congressional investigation plotline is eye rolling and embarrassing.

This is one of the most insane things I’ve ever seen in this thread.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Not another nuke guy movie

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I liked the scene where oppenheimer and einstein went shopping and there was a little montage of them trying on different outfits

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I liked the scene where oppenheimer and einstein went shopping and there was a little montage of them trying on different outfits

kept with the themes of the film when they both hung dong in front of each other while shopping for new slacks

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do they ever show the nude bomb

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Mike and Rich should watch Stargate SG-1

They need to watch LEXX.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

JediTalentAgent posted:

They need to watch LEXX.

second and third best things scifi channel ever produced episodes for, after MST3K.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Nolan hasn't made a good movie in a while.

* Both Nolans

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
ive been obsessed with doing the vulture cinematrix ever since someone posted it here. much more fun than framed

Burnt_toastist
Sep 2, 2020

Non Compos Mentis posted:

https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/images/9/9e/force.png

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
his suit does that for him though

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

stephenthinkpad posted:

Nolan hasn't made a good movie in a while.

* Both Nolans

Still reckon Memento was their best work. What should be a really gimmicky film -a film mostly with most of the scene shown in reverse!!!- ends up being just a great story telling, and helps you identify with the main character and his situation.

Also a rare nolan film with good characters!!!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oppenheimer is good, but it's very much a character study so if you don't like that kind of movie, or biopics, I would avoid.

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

sure okay posted:

Seems like Palpatine was the only one in the prequels not laying an egg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ9yBgTp9UQ&t=35s

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I have a soft spot for Insomnia.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

LanceHunter posted:

I'd say watch it. It's definitely a Nolan movie, but it's got less annoying Nolan-isms than most of his more recent output. (But yeah, if you aren't feeling it by minute 30, no need to continue.)

One day you're going to learn the difference between diegetic and non-diegetic, and that little peanut you call a brain will blow up like a popcorn kernel.

I don't think a single person in a star wars reacts specifically to the sound of a ship in space (plenty of times they do in atmosphere). Please note I'm only counting live action non horse poo poo Star wars so please don't tell me Qui gon cums when he hears a tie fighter in some Filoni trash or whatever.

All that to say, the spaceship pew pew whoosh noises in star wars are not obligatorially diegetec.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Jose Oquendo posted:

This is one of the most insane things I’ve ever seen in this thread.

There is a lot of corny writing in Oppenheimer, mostly in the congressional hearing frame narrative. Nolan obviously didn't trust the audience to understand what was going on, so he had Robert Downey Jr. be theatrically mincing and smug and secret service agent Hobie Doyle be all like 'gee mister I don't think that's what America is all about' at intervals

I still thought the movie was great but if you have a low tolerance for that kind of thing I can see why it would sour you on it overall

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Florence Pugh stopping mid-loving to make him say the “I am become death” line was so funny

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Florence Pugh stopping mid-loving to make him say the “I am become death” line was so funny

oh gently caress I forgot about that

jesus christ

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've never seen this channel before, but this was recommended to me by youtube a few times before I clicked on it to see what exactly the joke was. Obviously it's an April Fools joke, but as far as I can tell the "joke" is a genuine review and analysis of 3 sitcoms from the 60s that is over a day and a half long. I've clicked though the whole thing and I haven't found any dead air or any point in the video where he's not talking about the shows. Back in my day our video essays about media were a tight, crisp 70 minutes long and we liked it that way, learn some brevity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=974nDJzSjcM

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've never seen this channel before, but this was recommended to me by youtube a few times before I clicked on it to see what exactly the joke was. Obviously it's an April Fools joke, but as far as I can tell the "joke" is a genuine review and analysis of 3 sitcoms from the 60s that is over a day and a half long. I've clicked though the whole thing and I haven't found any dead air or any point in the video where he's not talking about the shows. Back in my day our video essays about media were a tight, crisp 70 minutes long and we liked it that way, learn some brevity!

Quinton Reviews used to make pretty good videos about various subjects like Pawn Stars and the decline of the History Channel that were about half an hour apiece but really blew up when he made insanely long videos about Nickelodeon child sitcoms that were pretty much plot summaries of all the episodes.

The most views for one of his good videos is 2 million (the first decline of the History Channel one) but the other good ones are usually in the hundreds of thousands of views. Nothing to sneeze at but not nearly 9 million for a 5 plus hour video.

dreezy posted:

I'm one of maybe five people who liked TENET but I did not care much for it. The Zone of Interest was robbed for Best Picture (though got a consolation prize) and Killers of the Flower Moon was much better as well.

It's like a very long trailer though there are some good performances and was a nice moment realizing I was watching the kid who had a crush on Wednesday in Addams Family Values as Oppenheimer's pal. Took me a second to realize the rookie from Dredd was the lady physicist too.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 5, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So because of the Shogun show I ended up spending a whole day reading up on the Shogun warring period. Honestly the actual history of the characters this show is based on is more interesting, and has more intense GoT style royal struggle. I understand why the book/show used fictional names and altered history because they wanted to added more western elements and Christianity elements for the global audience. But the history is more fascinating, the circumstance of how Tokugawa Ieyasu ordered his wife and first born son killed is very interesting and I don't buy the official narrative. Don't worry this is not show related.

Even Tokugawa's mother's litter side story was interesting. She was only with her first son for 1 year and was forced to divorce and remarry to a different clan and could only communicate with her son through clothing gifts. All this happened before she turned 17 year old.

BTW the show look really good, you wouldn't know its a FX show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

dreezy posted:

I stopped watching it after they bomb Japan (like an hour left) and think that's the way to watch it

Edit: sorry, spoilers