Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Is it possible for the ramp on the Pelican to squash you if you are under it when it opens to let you board? Alternatively, can Helldivers being under the ramp prevent it from opening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

redreader posted:

Quasar takes two hits for a brute, even in the heat sink. Same deal for the tower cannons. 2 in the front or two in the heat sink. Are the heat sinks actually weak or ???

If you shoot the tower cannons once in the vent with the quasar it takes one more shot there with the scorcher to finish it. I don't know what a brute is but if you mean the hulks I'm pretty sure if you hit them straight in the eye it's one. I use the autocannon against bots though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

redreader posted:

Quasar takes two hits for a brute, even in the heat sink. Same deal for the tower cannons. 2 in the front or two in the heat sink. Are the heat sinks actually weak or ???

If you get behind a hulk you're better off shooting their vents with your primary. Quasar is for trying to snipe them in their 'head' from the front.

For the tower cannons you need to follow up the Quasar shot with a primary capable of light penetration(?) like the Dominator/Scorcher

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what is "bullet acc" on helldivers.io?

it can't possibly be bullet accuracy.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
All bullets hit something eventually, accurate.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think I solved the mystery of the "blue laser" that reddit keeps thinking is illuminate lasers

it's just the laser cannon ricochet

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
shot deflection?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, but specifically the laser cannon being deflected, which turns into a giant blue beam

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
It looks completely different to the mystical blue lasers that people were showing coming down from the sky though. Unless im just :thejoke:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Most of the ones people post look like autocannon reflects, but who knows.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

redreader posted:

Quasar has the weird property of being maybe the only weapon that doesn't do extra damage to vents.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Alright, I keep reading about this 'dots don't work if you're not the host' thing and gave it a shot and :confused: things burned to death fast as gently caress when I joined on randoms. Breaker Incendiary, Flamethrower, Eagle Napalm, even Napalm Grenade all felt great to use vs bugs while quickplaying with a bunch of folks who were in a distant timezone.

I dunno, YMMV. I had no issues and, by the way, fire fucks right now and you should try it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

LazyMaybe posted:

Most of the ones people post look like autocannon reflects, but who knows.

One of the ones I saw about "the bots fighting an invisible enemy" was clearly just bots blind firing through their own ranks while trying to kill helldivers because they don't care about friendly fire and some shots were deflecting off bot armor.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

novaSphere posted:

Alright, I keep reading about this 'dots don't work if you're not the host' thing and gave it a shot and :confused: things burned to death fast as gently caress when I joined on randoms. Breaker Incendiary, Flamethrower, Eagle Napalm, even Napalm Grenade all felt great to use vs bugs while quickplaying with a bunch of folks who were in a distant timezone.

I dunno, YMMV. I had no issues and, by the way, fire fucks right now and you should try it.

My friend I play with a lot, a member of these very forums runs this and loves it. I've told him the napalm strike is really annoying but I understand the commitment to the gimmick. He said you're lucky I'm not using the incendiary mines too, lol. He holds his own with it we can easily two man high level missions if we need to. We do make sure he's hosting when using that lately, though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Is the jetpack worthwhile?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

sebmojo posted:

I love it on bug missions. Since most bug attacks are either melee or slow projectiles, it's great for survivability. It's too slow to recharge to give more than a minor boost to your movement, but the mobility is nice for minor obstacles. Just make sure there's not a water filled chasm on the other side of the rock you just jumped over.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

sebmojo posted:

It's okay. It's main use is letting you climb up onto terrain that would otherwise be unreachable. From there you can shoot or deploy turrets. Much less effective vs bots. In terms of killing power, you're better off with a laser guard dog or even a supply pack.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
jetpack mobility is great but imo not at the expense of a stratagem slot

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I like the idea of being able to jet up and place turrets high up on rocks but you really, really don’t want to be standing exposed on the top of a rock for more than 1 second on a bot mission lol

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
I like the jetpack a lot for bugs, it can be really great for survival and it's what carried me through solo high difficulties early on. It's a great way to get extra distance on stuff, break line of sight or mess with pathing, and to safely reload (you can fully reload a breaker mag while in the air).

I think reaching unreachable places is one of the least interesting things it can do because of how situational that is, it can trivialise certain extractions but other than that I feel like often you're putting yourself in a corner. Better to use it as a mobility tool and to confound bug AI. It's particularly great on Hellmire where you can hop over fire trails and lead whole swarms through them.

Overall, is it worth the slot? Maybe not, but it's fun, useful and viable all the way up to max difficulty. I think it has a relatively high skill ceiling too. It annoys me that you can't aim while in the air though, massive oversight.

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

The laser cannon has been my go-to on bot machines. The autocannon is probably better, but pairing the laser with stun grenades really lets me take on most anything the bots can throw. The speed you can burn out heads/vents at pretty much any range feels really good. Berserkers are a pain up close compared to the AC, but I run the scorcher currently which makes quick work of anything that gets too close.

sebmojo posted:

It's nice against bugs as an added "oh poo poo" button if you are getting mobbed. As others have said, the big value is taking high ground to mostly negate the blobs of melee critters. Less value against bots in the higher difficulties, but if the missions is spawning tons of berserkers and no jump jetting assholes, it's pretty alright.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Excellent jetpack advice ty

I love that solo missions are effectively a thing. Can you stop people joining? I don't really care, just interested if it's a mechanic.

I had a great game where i just wandered off and butted my head against a base until i took it down, then joined back up with the group. Its delightful how easy the game makes it to do that.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

sebmojo posted:

I love that solo missions are effectively a thing. Can you stop people joining?

no (unless you have no friends who play)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You can just turn it on to friends only and no one will show up.

Unless you have friends who play a lot of helldivers and if so tell them to just not join

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Set your game to friends only and go offline on Steam, or just tell your friends you're trying missions solo, I guess? Solo is fun, it's quite a different experience.

I am in two minds about splitting up when playing as a group though. There are definitely a lot of circumstances where it's optimal to all run off in different directions and complete objectives faster, or to have one group create a distraction and occupy the enemy reinforcement quota in one corner of the map while others do all the objectives in relative peace but it can make games feel a little trivial at times, to the point where I wonder if they should make it so multiple breaches/drops can occur if the group is far enough apart, the way it does for patrols. There are also players who will get really grumpy about lone-wolfing, which is justifiable if they were expecting a tight squad shooter*.

Even when solo it becomes pretty easy to exploit drop timers. If you aggro a group from range a fair distance away from an objective enemies will burn the reinforcement quota miles away and often be unable to locate you, leaving you free to wipe the fixed spawns around the objective unmolested.

* edit: This is really similar to my experiences in Deep Rock too, there was a point at which I lost the faith of my regular group because I'd played a lot more than them and was used to soloing haz5 and being independent. I'd just hit the ground running with a well-rounded build and push objectives in situations where they'd have preferred us to huddle up and synergise.

On the one hand I appreciate that both games let you lone-wolf, because it can be fun, but I do think it makes them technically inferior co-op experiences to old classic L4D-ish stuff that would strictly enforce cooperation in some way. Once you have enough hours under your belt in HD2 or DRG cooperating feels like something you need to intrinsically want to do for RP reasons. I'm exaggerating a bit, but you see what I mean.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 5, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CelticPredator posted:

You can just turn it on to friends only and no one will show up.

Unless you have friends who play a lot of helldivers and if so tell them to just not join

Ahh, cool (reason: my daughter was playing, she picked up someones shield and they called her a dipshit so i shot them and bailed)

She's good at games, so she'll be fine but i want to give her a chance to learn the mechanics first.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

sebmojo posted:

Ahh, cool (reason: my daughter was playing, she picked up someones shield and they called her a dipshit so i shot them and bailed)

She's good at games, so she'll be fine but i want to give her a chance to learn the mechanics first.

A father teaching his children about the benefits of Managed Democracy. Truly the spirit of Super Earth

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sebmojo posted:

I love that solo missions are effectively a thing.

they're a thing, but not often effectively

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

smellmycheese posted:

A father teaching his children about the benefits of Managed Democracy. Truly the spirit of Super Earth

:haibrow:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
someone tell arrowhead to just make the plasma shotgun have the same arc as demoman's pipes

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

novaSphere posted:

It's unfortunate that it's so inconsistent since that almost certainly means it's going to be harder to fix.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It certainly feels like I die faster if I get lit on fire. Stimming sometimes kills me mid-animation when before I could keep going. I need to dive instead now but the window seems tighter. Maybe just my imagination.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ravenfood posted:

It certainly feels like I die faster if I get lit on fire. Stimming sometimes kills me mid-animation when before I could keep going. I need to dive instead now but the window seems tighter. Maybe just my imagination.

It’s not. The BBQ Hulk just needs to tickle your rear end with flame and you’re pretty much toast

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Fire is absolutely more deadly now, and not just the burn DoT. I have been dropped full to dead by Hulk flamers in about a quarter second - before the DoT could even tick. Not sure if they enabled fire headshotting or what, but they didn't used to be that bad.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Dem bots love a BBQ

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
That's been a thing with hulk flamers at least since that patch that originally fixed armour.

Player flame weapons definitely seem buffed now ime

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Zwabu posted:

Is it possible for the ramp on the Pelican to squash you if you are under it when it opens to let you board? Alternatively, can Helldivers being under the ramp prevent it from opening?

Yes, the door can squash you. I was helping a friend get the blitz in 360 seconds achievement and the clock was going to be a buzzer beater to get in the pelican, so he stood in front of the door to try to clip in the moment it started opening. This crushed him and he failed to get the achievement when I got on because you have to personally evac for that achievement.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

smellmycheese posted:

It’s not. The BBQ Hulk just needs to tickle your rear end with flame and you’re pretty much toast

No goddamn exaggeration either
https://i.imgur.com/c36onHk.mp4

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That's been a thing with hulk flamers at least since that patch that originally fixed armour.

Player flame weapons definitely seem buffed now ime

Fire damage dot in general got a huge buff. You have a very short window of time to stim and hope the stim works if you get lit on fire now.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Fishstick posted:

No goddamn exaggeration either
https://i.imgur.com/c36onHk.mp4

Fire damage dot in general got a huge buff. You have a very short window of time to stim and hope the stim works if you get lit on fire now.

Now that's cookin' with :protogas: I tell ya' Hwut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yeah hulk flamers have always been instant death unless you just barely touch one puff. Patch really didn't make them much worse.

Anyway, here are the new warbond weapon stats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxfTRJueV3Y

Remember that explosive weapon damage is misleadingly low since it only lists the impact damage.

The Adjudicator is a lot more interesting now that the trailer shows it's probably automatic. More of a much stronger (but higher recoil) liberator penetrator than a weaker Diligence CS.