Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

ex post facho posted:

me, two weeks ago: going to see D U N C 2 in IMAX

me at 2 pm tomorrow: going back for more D U N C 2
I've seen it once on a normal screen, then a 2K Xenon + 5.1 channel sound system IMAX, and on Sunday I will watch it on a 4K Laser + 12 channel sound system IMAX.

Really looking forward to it :)

Also: Dunc 2 currently stands at roughly 631 million USD box office world wide. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I saw it in 1.43:1 IMAX and hated it. I wasn't even seated that close or off-centre and everything looked like utter poo poo. Seeing it again in 16:9 non-IMAX 70mm was amazing though.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

breadshaped posted:

I saw it in 1.43:1 IMAX and hated it. I wasn't even seated that close or off-centre and everything looked like utter poo poo. Seeing it again in 16:9 non-IMAX 70mm was amazing though.
Was it the aspect ratio that killed it for you?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

A Sneaker Broker posted:

That Dune: Messiah title card reveal is gonna hit like meth.

I assume they will just call it Dune Part 3.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PriorMarcus posted:

I assume they will just call it Dune Part 3.

My guess is the title card will be

DUNC3
------------
MESSIAH

and it may or may not look like that on the subway ads.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
DUNC Hard with a Vengeance

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

DTurtle posted:

Was it the aspect ratio that killed it for you?

If I had been farther away from the screen or it was 1.9:1 I think it would have been better.

The vertical compression is so noticable with a nearly square screen.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

breadshaped posted:

If I had been farther away from the screen or it was 1.9:1 I think it would have been better.

The vertical compression is so noticable with a nearly square screen.
AFAIK, there shouldn't be any compression, as they filmed it in IMAX formats.

Have you seen other movies in 1.43:1? Maybe it's just not being used to such a "square" format?

I watched it (and will watch it sgain) on 1.9:1, and that was really great. I'd have to drive 5 hours or so to watch it on 1.43:1 and that simply isn't worth it to me.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I drove to Sinsheim (I think all three of the recent posters are in Germany?) for the 1.43:1 experience, my first in IMAX, and it was awesome. I also checked out the video linked itt (I think) where it was shown that the movie was filmed in that aspect ratio, and either they cut off stuff if not important or digitally added something on the side when it was. That was helpful to set and ground my expectations!

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Yeah, I watched it on Bochum and will watch it in Düsseldorf on Sunday.

Sinsheim and Leonberg are simply too far away just for watching a movie. Though the size of those theaters is crazy. Bochum is only 170m2, Dusseldorf 210m2, but Sinsheim is 510m2 and Leonberg a staggering 810m2.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I was in Karlsruhe, first IMAX also. I could have gone to Leonberg but decided against it last minute because I heard 1.43:1 is better.

When I say I experienced a lot of "vertical compression" I mean like this effect:

It was quite difficult to focus back and forth on certain parts of the screen and I should add that I have perfect vision.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's no way metal eyes Jason Momoa actually makes it into the script, is there?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Maybe they should bring Duncan back and spin him off into his own movie series set in the Dune universe but nothing to do with the books. Just Duncan Idaho having space adventures

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gatts posted:

Maybe they should bring Duncan back and spin him off into his own movie series set in the Dune universe but nothing to do with the books. Just Duncan Idaho having space adventures

That’s 5/6 of the books though

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s 5/6 of the books though

Hmmmmm….ok then.

Also I want Worm God on screen.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Arglebargle III posted:

There's no way metal eyes Jason Momoa actually makes it into the script, is there?

I kinda figured like ATJ he wouldn't have signed on without some expectation that he'd have a more expanded role in later installments

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Gatts posted:

Hmmmmm….ok then.

Also I want Worm God on screen.

I'm ready for the 1000 deaths of dunc Idaho gag reel.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I feel like most of Messiah is kind of unfilmable. Not in the psychedelic way people usually say Dune is unfilmable, but so much stuff happens in it that basically goes nowhere.
E.g. Scytale's whole deal: He intricately infiltrates Paul's court wearing a stolen face. Paul sees through him instantly, but then goes along with it anyway. But it turns out it wasn't much of a double cross anyway, more like a really weird sales pitch... With a dwarf. Absolutely no part of that seems like riveting cinema. Except for the bit with the Stone Burner which is weirdly underdetailed in the book anyway. I bet they'll keep the Stone Burner and Paul walking into the desert and basically rewrite the rest, centered around Chani and possibly Alia somehow.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shanty posted:

I feel like most of Messiah is kind of unfilmable. Not in the psychedelic way people usually say Dune is unfilmable, but so much stuff happens in it that basically goes nowhere.
E.g. Scytale's whole deal: He intricately infiltrates Paul's court wearing a stolen face. Paul sees through him instantly, but then goes along with it anyway. But it turns out it wasn't much of a double cross anyway, more like a really weird sales pitch... With a dwarf. Absolutely no part of that seems like riveting cinema. Except for the bit with the Stone Burner which is weirdly underdetailed in the book anyway. I bet they'll keep the Stone Burner and Paul walking into the desert and basically rewrite the rest, centered around Chani and possibly Alia somehow.

Stone burner and desert are guaranteed based on visions already depicted in the first two episodes. I agree with your assumptions, but I still need Bijaz

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shanty posted:

This was basically my exact thought walking out of D2 the first time:

Huxley posted:

I'm really interested to see how we even arrive back at the starting point of Messiah, or even if the story departs HUGELY from the books. I just don't see a reasonable path back from the end of D2 to the start of Book Messiah.

Thinking about what actually needs to happen in Messiah from a, "coherent trilogy" perspective Paul needs to kill 65 bmillion people in the jihad, he needs to get word of a Fremen resistance inside the city, he needs to get blinded, he needs to completely neuter the power of the BG, and he needs to walk into the desert to die. If you know for a fact you don't need to get into the kids because no sequels, the story very well could be

16-20 years later, Paul has still refused to father a child with Irulan and is crazy conflicted about his jihad. Chani disappeared into the desert and never turned back up. He gets word of a local resistance, goes out to investigate and is blinded by the stone burner. But he can still see the future because he's following a path only he can see. We have a big Fremen revolt against him and [shock] it's being led by Chani! and [double shock] he knows all this because it's the path he's seen. He has visions of him killing Chani and continuing to rule the galaxy forever! Except in this version, the step he takes OFF the path is in the moment of victory over Chani, and he throws the fight. The BG are ruined (somehow? Jessica gets the comeuppance she deserves coming off 2), the planet reverts to the control of the Fremen resistance, and now, having stepped off the path he could see through prescience, walks into the desert to die, leaving Chani in charge of a Dune actually run by a Fremen not under the thrall of messianic prophecy.

He gets to do what he always promised he would. He gets revenge on the BG for all this being a thing in the first place. He gets to make a very different, redemptive decision from the end of D2 where he's the bad guy.

We don't have to explain the Spacing Guild and Tleilaxu or Psychic Babies or semi-robotic small people programmed to trigger murder bots. We get a full, coherent story that still wraps up in a 3-part arc. Our hero is Chani, or semi-redeemed anti-hero is Paul, our discredited and ruined powers behind the veil Jessica/BG get put in their place, and the last shot is a loving flower sprouting in the desert or something. HOPE

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shanty posted:

With the way Frank Herbert writes you can actually be pretty creative with who you “center” on and still have a true to the book adaption.

For example in Messiah without too much of a stretch you could center almost all your time on Irulan, Chani and Alia. ie Paul barely even being in the movie would be one way to get the right “vibe”

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 5, 2024

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Huxley posted:

This was basically my exact thought walking out of D2 the first time:

If we’re reposting our own takes

quote:

“That could only mean Chani was nearby—*Chani, his soul*, Chani his sihaya, sweet as the desert spring, Chani up from the palmaries of the deep south.”
Chapter 40

A movie can’t dwell in Paul’s thoughts doubting that he is the Lisan al-Gaib, doubting his prescience and righteousness of his actions. So, the movie needs an alternative:

From Villeneuve:
“She is the one who helped me to bring the movie to where I wanted it to be. There’s a precise moment in the movie where suddenly you feel that her perspective on the story becomes the main one. I thought that to bring a new perspective on what Paul is becoming, to use Chani would be absolutely perfect. That’s why all the movie’s built into their relationship and the build of trust between them, and why Chani becomes slowly attracted to Paul”

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/dune-part-two-denis-villeneuve-interview-five-things-we-learned/

So, what he’s doing here is giving Chani the role in the film of voicing Paul’s *internal* doubts. I think it’s pretty clever even if I think book Chani doesn’t get enough credit for being a strong character because so much is “off screen” (note: *lots* of important moments for *lots* of characters are “off screen” in the books).

Now, he hasn’t talked about Messiah but there’s something very clever he’s set himself up to do. Paul has a lot of *different* doubts about his actions but the ones Chani expressed are “settled”, to an extent anyway. How do we do that in the film? Well, as I quoted even the book says that Chani is Paul’s soul so we just have to look at their relationship.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I would watch hours of this.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I would watch hours of this.

I hope this doesn't awaken anything in me.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

breadshaped posted:

I was in Karlsruhe, first IMAX also. I could have gone to Leonberg but decided against it last minute because I heard 1.43:1 is better.

When I say I experienced a lot of "vertical compression" I mean like this effect:

It was quite difficult to focus back and forth on certain parts of the screen and I should add that I have perfect vision.
OH, okay, I get why that would be problematic. That really looks terrible.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

uber_stoat posted:

as much as i would love to see Worm God on the big screen i hope they stop after three. seems likely unless some rear end in a top hat tries to turn it into Star Wars.

I want an animated Fremen Babies spin-off series.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Buttchocks posted:

I want an animated Fremen Babies spin-off series.

Fremen Babies featuring the huntress of a billion worlds

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

as far as I'm concerned, they can make as many changes to messiah as they want as long as they keep paul seeing through baby leto's eyes to kill scytale

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Even if Denis doesn't go with the Eternal Duncan scenario, I can definitely see him rolling with a parallel to the imperfect Rachael scene in BR 2049. Like Paul seeing Duncan and almost breaking down over who the man represents, only to turn away.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Since we are in the stupidest, silliest timeline I hope we get an adaptation of God Emperor in 10 years and Villaneuve is replaced by someone garbage. Just 4 hours of a giant CGI worm man yelling at a 55 year old Jason Momoa about philosophy 201 stuff about machiavelli and tyrants and stuff.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Sega 32X posted:

Since we are in the stupidest, silliest timeline I hope we get an adaptation of God Emperor in 10 years and Villaneuve is replaced by someone garbage. Just 4 hours of a giant CGI worm man yelling at a 55 year old Jason Momoa about philosophy 201 stuff about machiavelli and tyrants and stuff.

MONEO

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sega 32X posted:

Jason Momoa gets repeatedly crushed by the CGI worm man.

IIRC Moneo and then later Teg both look suspiciously like Leto so the Idaho gholas can have their memory triggers run so Oscar Isaac.

Normally I’d complain that Herbert clearly had no understanding of genetics or passage of time but Ghanima, Jessica and Irulan probably planned this poo poo out for 200 generations

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

breadshaped posted:

Why the gently caress do they even sell those seats.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Listen, when you get down to the brassest of brass tacks, DUNE really is just a story with a primary focus on POTIONS

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Sega 32X posted:

I'll do it. I volunteer as tribute. I've never directed anything before but I was born for this.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Sega 32X posted:

Uwe Boll confirmed.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This is the director's true vision.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sega 32X posted:

David Gordon Green's Dune

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Edit: Wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
D U N 2 is now out on digital. I am waiting for Amazon and Apple to release the pre-order wall. However, enjoy:

A Sneaker Broker fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 6, 2024