Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Truga posted:

marxist literature is considered some kind of dangerous text by most liberals at this point, like it'll damage a person or something, which is really funny considering the whole free speech posturing

Caution: class tau memetic hazard. All personnel exposed to SCP-3175 re-evaluate their existing relationship to power through a process known as REDACTED, in one case site-d personnel organized a REDACTED demanding concessions from the site director such as REDACTED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
nah, macaques are funny. Just lock the doors and keep your kids/pets inside.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Tankbuster posted:

nah, macaques are funny. Just lock the doors and keep your kids/pets inside.

i like the macaques in bali that figured out how to steal peoples iphones and trade them back for food

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

Caution: class tau memetic hazard. All personnel exposed to SCP-3175 re-evaluate their existing relationship to power through a process known as REDACTED, in one case site-d personnel organized a REDACTED demanding concessions from the site director such as REDACTED

:golfclap:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

Wolff and Yellen both got PhDs from Yale economics in 1969 and 1971, respectively. Wolff was under Paul Baran at Stanford but transferred after Baran got hit with the heart attack gun.

It wasn't all roses but there was room for it at elite institutions. Here's what happened to Sweezy

While it wasn't particularly widespread or well supported, there was some there. IIRC Wolff mentioned he knew that Yellen did read Marx and Marxian theorists.

the biggest thaw- to an extent there ever has been a thaw on the American state’s repression of communists - must be the death of Hoover in 1972 (or was it 73 I don’t remember).

pretty chilled atmosphere there tho on academia

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
youtube giving me pt barnum recommendations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62UzLgdb1GQ

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
why that guy look so weird

my monitor is on

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

mila kunis posted:

Deng china would not have been possible without mao china. Massive improvements in education, life expectancy, health and living standards while under blockade from both the imperialist bloc and (eventually) the Soviet bloc. The cheap and technically skilled workforce that propelled dengist growth didn't come out of nowhere

The crazy rate that China has developed in recent years has a tendency to imply that nothing happened until Deng Xiaoping. In the west Mao is basically only associated with the great leap forward and the cultural revolution. His misguided policies killed millions etc.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4331212/

According to this paper the life expectancy in China went from 35-40 in 1950 to 65,5 in 1980.

The paper posted:

China's growth in life expectancy between 1950 and 1980 ranks as among the most rapid sustained increases in documented global history.

My wife was born in China in 1982 and her grandparents on her fathers side were illiterate peasants ruled by literal warlords. On her mothers side they were quite wealthy and her grandmother had her feet bound. She told me that she remembers her grandmother walking like a penguin. That Mao managed to take this hosed up country and turn it into a functioning modern state is one of the most impressive feats in history.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

David Rennie (born 1971)[2] is a British journalist. He is a columnist for The Economist, where until September 2017 he served as the Lexington columnist (Farewell Lexington column). He is currently Beijing bureau chief and author of the Chaguan column on China.[3] He is the son of Sir John Rennie, former 'C' (i.e., Director) of the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6).[4]

Daddy John:
Sir John Ogilvy Rennie, KCMG (13 January 1914 – 30 September 1981)[1] was the 6th Director of the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) from 1968 to 1973. He was once the head of the Information Research Department (IRD), a secret branch of the UK Foreign Office dedicated to pro-colonial and anti-communist propaganda during the Cold War.

On 15 January 1973, Rennie's son Charles Tatham Ogilvy Rennie, and his daughter-in-law were arrested for an alleged involvement in the importation of large quantities of heroin from Hong Kong.[2] Rennie resigned not long afterwards.[2] (lol)

Isn't one of those prominent China watchers the great great grandson or something of an opium war general who killed a shitload of people?

DiscountDildos has issued a correction as of 19:44 on Apr 4, 2024

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ErikSolheim/status/1775761723070291969

coming to the economist near you: china is selfishly stealing air with its 1.4 billion people

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Hedenius posted:

The crazy rate that China has developed in recent years has a tendency to imply that nothing happened until Deng Xiaoping. In the west Mao is basically only associated with the great leap forward and the cultural revolution. His misguided policies killed millions etc.

According to this paper the life expectancy in China went from 35-40 in 1950 to 65,5 in 1980.

My wife was born in China in 1982 and her grandparents on her fathers side were illiterate peasants ruled by literal warlords. On her mothers side they were quite wealthy and her grandmother had her feet bound. She told me that she remembers her grandmother walking like a penguin. That Mao managed to take this hosed up country and turn it into a functioning modern state is one of the most impressive feats in history.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This news cycle about Yellen's China trip continues to be hilarious

(all credit to forums poster BearsBearsBears for finding this)

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/yellen-faces-tough-road-chinas-excess-capacity-problem-2024-04-04/

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Homeless Friend posted:

????

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It all goes back to how 'brainwashing' as a concept and MKULTRA basically exists because it was considered impossible that Americans could become sympathetic to North Koreans through any means other than some mind of magical evil communist science. Combine that with the idea of 'charismatic leaders' that was presented as the reason why Germany is all nice and peaceful now, they were just literally mind controlled by the magical ranting speech of mean ol' Hitler.

The idea that those books and speeches actually have any real content or say anything is incomprehensible and abhorrent to them, it's just almost impossible to read them without becoming brainwashed into a supervillain. So the idea that their political enemies have any real motivations, origins and context can be safely discarded- they're just mind controlled, or ontologically evil carriers of the corruption. This also means you can safely discard the idea that undecorous protestors and activists have any actual valid complaints or causes being their words and deeds, and in fact it's required to because listening to them and reading their words might damage your precious smart liberal brain.

See also the hilarious rage and terror over Osama Bin Laden's manifesto making the rounds on TikTok- they genuinely believed that it would cause the teens to literally become Al-Quaeda, and have no understanding that after years of relentless absurd propaganda young people are shocked and amazed to learn that Bin Laden had actual motivations, ideas and agendas different from the ones that had been assigned to him by American media.

Speaking of, see also how they constantly make snarky remarks and insult leftists based on the values and agendas that they have decided leftists have, and are confused and aggravated when they are dismissed- because they're used to being the ones who know what everyone else 'really' believes, just like the news told them. And they genuinely consider themselves 'experts' in Marx for glancing vaguely at stuff written about Marxist adjacent people or concepts, or just deciding they are, and get thrown again when they talk to someone who actually knows what they're talking about. They're like speaking-in-tongues missionaries genuinely shocked and baffled that their babbling didn't magically allow them to communicate with people in any language, and they had to actually learn local languages.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

This news cycle about Yellen's China trip continues to be hilarious

(all credit to forums poster BearsBearsBears for finding this)

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/yellen-faces-tough-road-chinas-excess-capacity-problem-2024-04-04/

lol at yellen crying that china builds infrastructure and industrial base instead of tax cuts for the wealthy

"its very rude that you're not creating a quisling nomenklatura we can use to destroy your country"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Hedenius posted:

1950 was just when the civil war ended. The PRC under mao should be praised for making institutions that could be wielded by the party to create the economy they have today. Still doing stupid poo poo like killing sparrows or doing backyard smelting is dumb and the PRC clearly places a premium of technical expertise ever since then.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Danann posted:

coming to the economist near you: china is selfishly stealing air with its 1.4 billion people

lol this guy in the comments has like hundreds of these things compiled

https://twitter.com/MandarinNYC616/status/1776049628682559939

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

China was in a pretty bad state after the civil war but for some reason that wasn’t the fault of any European powers, the warlords, the kmt, the Japanese, etc but entirely Mao. If he didn’t instantly usher in a golden age then it was because he was evil. Similar to how Stalin is entirely responsible for famines in the thirties and not anyone who might have contributed to the condition of the country before Stalin came to power or the global problems of the thirties. After all the Tzars ruled over a well organized prosperous country.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Foreign Affairs: China Is Still Rising

Don’t Underestimate the World’s Second-Biggest Economy

By Nicholas R. Lardy, April 2, 2024

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

By Nicholas R. Lardy, April 2, 2024

does this GDP comparison take into account the difference in methodology? iirc it was mentioned in this thread that Chinese GDP calculations don't take into account consumer services at all or something?

if not, lol even more

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

This dude looks like zoomer trotsky

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Danann posted:

lol someone made a giant thread of these

https://x.com/MandarinNYC616/status/1776049628682559939

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

corona familiar posted:

does this GDP comparison take into account the difference in methodology? iirc it was mentioned in this thread that Chinese GDP calculations don't take into account consumer services at all or something?

if not, lol even more

still makes me laugh to remember dgcf's reaction

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
More BRI

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1775350471378841915?t=X3jwpxt0nFLBhg_Rxdlhvw&s=19

Inland shipping from Cambodia > Laos > Yunnan province

Didn't realize the Mekong river doesn't touch northern Vietnam because it runs on the other side of the mountain range. Does north Vietnam get enough water for rice farming?

Also Germany CEOs and German CEO will visit China. I just want an excuse to post Punished Scholz

https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1698964669937938851?t=tA1qG30qS1cOcwXPEeFJFQ&s=19

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 10:15 on Apr 5, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

FuzzySlippers posted:

China was in a pretty bad state after the civil war but for some reason that wasn’t the fault of any European powers, the warlords, the kmt, the Japanese, etc but entirely Mao. If he didn’t instantly usher in a golden age then it was because he was evil. Similar to how Stalin is entirely responsible for famines in the thirties and not anyone who might have contributed to the condition of the country before Stalin came to power or the global problems of the thirties. After all the Tzars ruled over a well organized prosperous country.

thats just western illiteracy. The bengal famine happened because of a lot of nuanced and complicated reasons like the government in punjab refusing to send food (so churchill wasn't at fault). Please ignore Wavell threatening to resign because the Second City in the Empire was turning into a zombie movie.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Similarly, everything good that has happened in China is a result of it embracing capitalism and everything bad is a result of it being a communist state.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Alot of good happened was due to the farming land reform after the founding of PRC. And a proper land reform will be done after the unification.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

this article seems to be about the world's biggest economy though?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
https://x.com/TheEconomist/status/1775879266875457833

Please press the button, president Xi, I am ready.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Votskomit posted:

this time next year:

china’s high tech revolution was too successful

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Cerebral Bore posted:

this article seems to be about the world's biggest economy though?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Votskomit posted:

Backfire, frontfire, sidefire, China firing on all cylinders!

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

It's definitely going to backfire just like all those other times

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

RandolphCarter posted:

this time next year:

china’s high tech revolution was too successful

But at what cost?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Doesn't China already have 3 times the number of engineers as the next country on the list(Russia)?

It really speaks to the stupidity of the economist in that they think "high tech" is a meaningfully different from incremental research and design work that all engineers do.

They really believe that there's some comic-book-esque super science that revolutionizes a field all at once. It's no wonder that they're so taken in by scams like Theranos or Tesla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

ikanreed posted:

Doesn't China already have 3 times the number of engineers as the next country on the list(Russia)?

It really speaks to the stupidity of the economist in that they think "high tech" is a meaningfully different from incremental research and design work that all engineers do.

They really believe that there's some comic-book-esque super science that revolutionizes a field all at once. It's no wonder that they're so taken in by scams like Theranos or Tesla.

Maybe it's like "we had a Dotcom Hubble. I was crypto scammed. Now we've got tech layoffs and lots of our tech companies are scams. Surely China will have all the same issues, but worse since they are dumber than us smart people."